Why does Kajol not use a last name?

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 8 months ago

She never used Mukherjee or Mukerji nor does she use Devgan/Devgn. Only in U, Me, Aur Hum did I see her credited as Kajol Devgan.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Terenaina thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Her mom who was an actress never used her last name in movies correct me if I am correct but she only used her first name so I guess she is following her mom's footsteps

RaniPreityAish thumbnail
Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Terenaina

Her mom who was an actress never used her last name in movies correct me if I am correct but she only used her first name so I guess she is following her mom's footsteps

That's true, I forgot that Tanuja went just by her first name. I know Kajol got advice by her first stylist to never lose the unibrow, as that was part of her unique appeal, so I was wondering if the one name thing was also advised to her. But probably it was just following in her mother's footsteps.

1277590 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Terenaina

Even her aunt used the first name only.

naaznin thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 14 Thumbnail + 9

May be it was considered lucky as per astrology

Shaitan-Haiwan thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Does she appear in credits like that too? I feel like I’ve seen Kajol Devgan somewhere

Mallika-E-Bhais thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Shaitan-Haiwan

Does she appear in credits like that too? I feel like I’ve seen Kajol Devgan somewhere

Really? I don’t think I’ve ever seen her use her surname publicly. Maybe she’s Kajol Devgn in private documents etc but I don’t think I’ve ever seen this name being used in any film…

FatalFlaw thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 1 Thumbnail

Perhaps she possessed the ability to navigate her career without depending on her husband's last name. The others could learn a thing or two.

andersonjam41 thumbnail

Kajol, the renowned Bollywood actress, does not use a last name professionally. This choice is rooted in her family's legacy, where her parents, Tanuja and Shomu Mukherjee, wanted to establish her individual identity. The decision to omit a last name is a personal one and not uncommon in the entertainment industry. It allows her to stand out and be recognized solely by her first name, fostering a distinctive brand.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

She was copying Govinda