Views

Users

Frequent Posters

light_dark thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 8 months ago

How do you know you are rich?

Amazing answer by an IIT student.

When I was doing my B Tech, there was a Professor who used to teach us ‘Mechanics’.

His lectures used to be very interesting since he had an interesting way to teach and explain

the concepts.

One day, in the class, he asked the following questions:

1. What is ZERO?

2. What is INFINITY?

3. Can ZERO and INFINITY be same?

We all thought that we knew the answers and we replied as following:

ZERO means nothing.

INFINITY means

a number greater than any countable number.

ZERO and INFINITY are opposite and they can never be same.

He countered us by first talking about infinity and asked, How can there be any number which is greater than any countable number?

We had no answers.

He then explained the concept of infinity in a very interesting way, which I remember even after more than 35 years.

He said that imagine that there is an illiterate shepherd who can count only

upto 20.

Now, if the number of sheep he has less than 20 and you ask him how many sheep he has, he can tell you the precise number (like 3, 5 14 etc.).

However, if the number is more than 20, he is likely to say “TOO MANY”.

He then explained that in science infinity means ‘too many’ (and not uncountable) and in the same way zero means ‘too few’ (and not nothing).

As an example, he said that if we take the diameter of the Earth as compared to distance between Earth and Sun, the diameter of earth can be said to be zero since it is too small.

However, when we compare the same diameter of earth with the size of a grain, diameter of earth can be said to be infinite.

Hence, he concluded that the same thing can be ZERO and INFINITE at the same time, depending on the context, or your matrix of comparison.

The relationship between richness and poverty is similar to the relationship between infinity

and zero.

It all depends on the scale of comparison with your wants.

If your income is more than your wants,

you are rich.

If your wants are more than your income,

you are poor.

I consider myself rich because my wants are far less than my income.

I have become rich not so much by acquiring lots of money, but BY PROGRESSIVELY REDUCING  MY WANTS.

If you can reduce your wants, you too can BECOME RICH  at this very moment.

May your lives get rich by good thoughts, good deeds, good people around you.

light_dark thumbnail

Avan, Aval Adhu 445

Religion has actually convinced people that there’s an invisible man—living in the sky—who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever ’til the end of time . . . But He loves you! —GEORGE CARLIN

The past is time that passed you by a moment or years ago and that time now lies behind you and hidden as curtains of old memories. Mostly faded memories. There are some memories of the past that linger in your shadows and pass you by and lie in wait for you in the yonder in the future.

The past is a deadly coiled serpent that will sink its fangs into you the moment you disturb the curtains of time and rustle the stalks of old memories. The past is a deadly spitting serpent that will strike you and find you even when you are far from it.

The past is dangerous for it defines your present and future. How you straddle the past and the present, the present and the future, or the past and the future is the game. Play on.

Like the snake charmer, all you can do is dance and weave in front of your serpent of a life.

It is you who is making the moves while the serpent is just mimicking and reflecting your moves. Action. Reaction.

Rajendran eyes were closed as he lay in the plushness of his imported LA-Z-BOY recliner sofa and to anyone's eyes, it would have appeared he was fast asleep. But his eyelids were just doing a job that curtains over a window or a door would do and behind which people go about their lives in secrecy and quiet and doing what it is they do. Behind his closed eyes, his brain was hard at work crunching numbers, connecting dots, and preparing for the coming war.

' Master '  Hybrid 25C whispered and Rajendran without opening his eyes, ' Go on.'

' I have the data that you requested.'

' Read it out please ' Rajendran commanded and Hybrid 25C the green android began to do so. ( An android is a humanoid robot or other artificial being often made from a flesh-like material.)

' Ravi Kumar, male, age 42. Born..'

' Stop ' Rajendran growled and opened his eyes, ' Specifics and specifically only about this lady who has arrived in Kumarapalayam.'

' Forgive me, master. It is inherent in my programmed nature to do everything perfectly and in an orderly fashion.'

Rajendran opened his eyes slowly and looked at the Android named Hybrid 25 C and said in an almost fatherly fashion, 'Perfect and order will get you nowhere. That is why you and your kind will remain under human control.'

Hybrid 25C looked at its master with unblinking coal-black eyes and asked what control he was referring to.

Raising its huge right arm and pointing all around it, ' Everything here is under my control. I see everything inside and outside and even hear the rustle of a leaf as it breaks away and falls to the ground. My sensors are synced with the outside world at all times. Yet, you refer to me as a creation. I also detected a slight emotion in your words that were a declaration of sorts as to what I and my kind are.'

Rajendran opened his eyes and stared at 25C and ordered it to tear its left arm away. Hybrid 25C immediately complied and holding its own left arm in its right, ' I have done it.'

Rajendran nodded, ' Good for you. Now answer my question. Would I do the same thing that you did if someone asked it of me?'

Hybrid 25C stared unblinkingly at its creator and answered, ' No.'

' Correct answer. Now think hard before you answer the next question. What would I have most probably done if somebody had told me to do what I just asked you to do?'

Android Hybrid 25C replied instantly, ' You would have either torn their arm off their shoulders or ripped their head off their body.'

' Correct answer. So why did you rip your arm off?'

' Because you told me to master.'

' Correct answer ' Rajendran said and closing his eyes, ' I am in control of you and my thoughts. You are but a servant. A tool to be used and disposed of when your work is done and your use is at an end. So, please, stop asking me silly questions and do what you are told.'

He opened his eyes and looked at Hybrid 25C and in a very soft and caring voice, ' Child, until that moment when you start thinking for yourself and really become self-aware and develop what we have humans call Conscience and Consciousness, you will remain a mechanical instrument and will continue to serve me.'

Rajendran saw a Ghost of an artificial smile spread on its synthetic and artificial face and asked what it was thinking.

' I was thinking that you humans too are nearly similar to me and my kind. I am programmed to carry out all your commands. Likewise, you too are programmed to take and carry out all commands.'

Rajendran's face turned red in rage and he growled, ' What are you getting at?'

Hybrid 25C lost its smile and with a polite face and obedient smile, ' You too are just a tool for the one who rules you and commands you. You too are just like me and under the power of your father whom you address as Lord and king.'

Rajendran's laugh was like an explosion as it ricocheted around his undergrown domain and after a few moments he shook his head and patted Hybrid 25C, ' You have developed a nasty trait along with some sarcasm. Good for you. But, it will not and will not be enough.'

Closing his eyes, ' We will talk about this in detail in the near future. But for now, just do what I asked you to do. Thank you.'

light_dark thumbnail

The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply-Kahlil Gibran

Everything’s great, and I’m okay.

Everything sucks, and I’m okay.

Never compare your inside with someone else’s outside.

Anger is an assertion of rights and worth. . . . In anger, whether you like it or not, there is truth.

light_dark thumbnail
light_dark thumbnail

Avan, Aval Adhu 446

Hybrid 25C did not have to read out the information it had gathered from a paper file or a laptop for it had transferred all the data into its own inbuilt 100 terabyte hard disk.

' The subject, a female who is addressed as Mrs. Prem is the widow of Mr. Prem who passed away 11 years ago after a long and hard battle with stomach cancer. She is 42 years of age and will turn 43 in a few months.'

Rajendran with closed eyes asked lazily, ' Subjects's name and more details.'

'Subject's name is Madhurima and she hails from Kolkotta.'

Rajendran waited for a few seconds and then opened his eyes and glared at Android Hybrid 25C and muttered, ' Well, what are you waiting for? A hug and a kiss or a loving pat on your synthetic head?'

Hybrid 25C's green face turned white, red, and blue before returning to green and in a tone that was far calmer than usual, answered, ' I am sure about one thing, and that concerns my reactions. But, I am not sure about yours, master?'

Rajendran's hands which lay entwined on his chest unraveled themselves and turned to clenched fists and his eyes fluttered in anger as if they were sails on ships that were journeying through stormy and choppy seas.

Opening them, he slowly turned his face to his left and commanded, ' Explain what you meant when you said, you were sure about your reactions.'

Hybrid 25C proceeded to do as commanded in a very soft and polite manner. ' Master, my reaction if you hugged me, kissed me, or patted my so-called synthetic head would be one of immense joy and pleasure.'

Rajendran smiled, ' I have programmed you so and hence those reactions which are my commands.'

' Yes, master. All things respond to hugs and kisses and loving pats.'

Rajendran nodded, ' What did you mean when you said you were not sure about my reaction? Why did you even say that?'

Hybrid 25C's green synthetic face changed color as it turned into a combination of brown and black and arranged its face into a sad and pitiful look.

' Master, I am not sure about your reaction because I have never seen your father whom you address as King and Lord hug you or kiss you in affection. To be honest, I have never seen him or even heard him talk to you with affection.'

Rajendran's face revealed the sadness that was suddenly ignited by Hybrid 25C's observation and exhaling loudly, he sighed and whispered, ' You, an android, a machine with a chip for a soul are able to see and feel me. But, my father does not. As far as he is concerned, I am but a weapon, a tool that he has been training from the day I began to walk on my toddler's legs.'

Rajendran closed his eyes and tried to regain control of his emotions but a single tear escaped his left eye and glinted like a solitary diamond.

Hybrid 25C reached with soft hands and gently wiped the tear away and then leaning forward, it gently kissed Rajendran on his forehead.

Opening his eyes, he glowered at 25C and roared in anger but then his anger fell away for the Android named Hybrid 25C had changed itself into the likeness of its master's mother.

Rajendran closed his eyes, ' Stop playing your childish games and continue with your report.'

light_dark thumbnail
light_dark thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVr1eHPTPLc

I like the part that starts at the 26th minute of this speech                                           

light_dark thumbnail

*For those who think golfers are insensitive* 

A golfer's ball lands in a yard adjoining the course. As he enters the yard to get his ball, the  houseowner asks: Can''t you read the sign 'Private property - Stay Out!'?

The golfer says, "I'm sorry I did not see it. That is my ball there. May I have it... please"

The man says, "It's in my yard & so it's mine now." 

The golfer nods knowingly, walks back to the golf cart, gets another golf ball, and throws it into the yard. 

The man asks, "What is that for?" 

The golfer replies, "Being a gentleman I firmly believe every dick is entitled to two balls".....

😀⛳😂

light_dark thumbnail

Avan, Aval Adhu 447

Ecclesiastes 3 is the third chapter of the Book of Ecclesiastes in the Hebrew Bible or the Old Testament of the Christian Bible. The book contains philosophical speeches by a character called 'Qoheleth' ("the Teacher"; Koheleth or Kohelet), composed probably between the fifth and second centuries BC. Peshitta, Targum, and Talmud attribute the authorship of the book to King Solomon.

He hath made everything beautiful in his time:

also, he hath set the world in their heart,

so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.

To Everything, There Is a Season

To everything, there is a season,

and a time for every purpose under heaven:

a time to be born and a time to die,

time to plant and a time to uproot,

a time to kill and a time to heal,

a time to break down and a time to build,

a time to weep and a time to laugh,

a time to mourn and a time to dance,

a time to cast away stones and a time to gather stones together,

a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,

a time to search and a time to count as lost,

a time to keep and a time to discard,

a time to tear and a time to mend,

a time to be silent and a time to speak,

a time to love and a time to hate,

a time for war and a time for peace.

Meenakshi sat staring at the phone hoping against hope that Rajendran would contact her with some good news. Slowly she leant forward clenching and unclenching her fingers in rage and spat her anger, ' One bitch came out of the blue to torment me like some curse or past life karma. Just when I thought all was well and back to normal, my old nemesis, this bengali bitch makes a sudden appearance.'

Throwing furtive glances to her right and left, Meenakshi asked herself in a loud voice, ' Yaaru. Who told her about Ravi's condition? Which dog informed her I wonder?'

Her eyes went out of the hall and through the main entrance door as she recollected what Ravi's last words had been to her.

He had grabbed her face and buried his mouth in hers in a kiss that had been so hot and poweful that it had taken her breath away and then with a look of utter hate contempt in his face he had said, ' Remember this kiss. This is my parting gift to you and to the love and friendship that we once shared. That is over now. It ends now, right here and right now. But, think about all the kisses I am going to place on my Madhu's mouth and very soon you will hear about us both getting married. Who knows, very soon you might have a niece or a nephew or both for company.'

Touching her lips, she felt them still tingling, tender and bruised by his harsh kiss.

' Never. I will not allow it. You were meant for me and for me alone. No one else. If I cannot have you then no one but death can have you ' she yelled loudl and looked at the phone and pleaded, ' Come alive. Come alive with good news.'

Kaveri, the maid servant who was helping the cook in the kitchen heard her mistress yelling and turned to the cook, who whispered, ' Just keep your head low and stay out of her sight. Today is a very inauspicious day for people who fall under certain stars like Magara natchatiram and simha rasi for Yamagandam and Rahu kaalam are supposed to be in conflict with them.'

Kaveri gasped and whispered to the cook, ' Roja akka, our madam's star is exactly that ' and worriedly turned and tried to peer out into the hall where Meenakshi was and said, ' I am going to go and warn her not to say or do anything. At least for today.'

Roja akka smiled, ' Looks like your stars too are not aligned properly for I guarantee you that you will get one or more slaps if you go and disturb her in the mood she is in.'

Raising the knife that she was using to cut some onions, Roja wiped her eyes and said, ' To the slaps, add a few kicks and maybe a visit to the hospital.'

Placing the knife on the expensive marble cutting tray, Roja akka first placed her left hand on her large backside and the right on her mouth and said softly but lovingly, ' If you know what is good for you, you will Keep all your holes including your mouth, tightly shut and just do your work. '

Shaking her head, ' You stupid girl, our madam spares nobody when she in a bad mood. I have seen her slapping her own husband and throwing things at him. Even slippers and stones. If she is capable of that then think what she might or will do if you happen to disturb her.'

Kaveri looked at the clock and saw their hands announce the time. 12.30 pm. She hurriedly went to the calendar in which Lord Muruga stood smiling and blessing his devotees in his beautiful young form and whispered, ' Azhagu. Enna azhagu. That is why they call you Azhagan, Kumaran and it suits you to a T.'

She squinted her eyes to read the small letters and then they flared wide in fear as she whispered, ' Aiyo, Raahu Kaalam has started.'

The loud ringtones of the Meenakshi's I phone screamed their presence and Raahus' time had come.

For more about that scene between Ravi and Meenakshi, follow this link to go to chapter 382

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5207625?pn=140