What caused Vidyadhar's paralysis? (Piratīçā Vanavā Urī Peṭalā)

Poll

How did Vidyadhar lose the use of his right arm and leg?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
BrhannadaArmour thumbnail
Posted: 10 months ago

When Vidyadhar was introduced as Arjun's soft-spoken and philanthropic big brother with a handicapped right arm and leg, my first idea was that Vidyadhar lost the use of his limbs while rescuing Arjun from danger.

Variations on this idea arose as we learned that Arjun was in shock when his mother Bhima'i died (implying that perhaps she died unexpectedly), that Vishvambhar plans to murder Arjun, and that Krishna'i credits Bhima'i's piety for sending Savi to rescue Arjun (implying that Bhima'i might have saved someone's life).

However, when Arjun told Savi that Vidyadhar had rushed to his bedside after Arjun attempted suicide, and then Arjun had jumped off the hospital terrace and only hurt his leg, I got a macabre idea ... what if Vidyadhar suffered nerve damage because Arjun landed on top of him?

Vidyadhar said to Vishvambhar that he has been envious of Arjun since childhood, but was Vidyadhar an able-bodied adult who could easily travel to the U.S.A. for his brother's emergency? Vidyadhar told Arjun that he rejected five brides despite his disability, and Nanda was already Vidyadhar's wife for the Bhairava-Deva festival five years ago, but the timeline could still fit Vidyadhar's injury during Arjun's study abroad.

Since we saw Arjun dropping a weight on Balaram's foot, and then Arjun whined that his own brother Balaram doesn't believe in his good intentions and sell land to him for the power plant ... is it possible that Arjun deliberately injured Vidyadhar in a fit of pique and now believes that Vidyadhar doesn't hold a grudge?

Could Vidyadhar's injury be connected to Sharada's panic at the very mention of Kavathe-Bhairavgad? Perhaps Sharada was supposed to look after the child Vidyadhar, and when she was blamed for his accident, she had to flee.

Pradip says that Sharada lived in Bhima Sadan, and he believes that assassins are after him. Although Pradip is insane and doesn't recognize Krishna'i's face, we can't ignore the possibility that the assassins are real and they might have caused Vidyadhar's injury.

In the real world, a person can be born with a disability, and it's just part of human diversity. Is Vidyadhar like that?

Or, just as Vidyadhar was revealed as the sūtradhāra of Vishvambhar's plan, will another character be revealed as a villain? Did Bhima'i want Krishna'i's children out of Arjun's way? Does Priya seem a little too innocent and obedient to her three big brothers?

What does everyone think about the cause of Vidyadhar's paralysis?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Vidyadhar told Savi that her secret will go to the other world when he dies. He even elaborated that the crow might not touch his piṇḍa.

Is that foreshadowing that Vidyadhar will die? His dying wish will be that Arjun should learn of Savi's fraud and feel miserably unlovable. And Savi will have to choose between happily ever after and the truth.

When Vidyadhar said of Savi keeping her secret, "tyātaça tumaçaṃ āṇi māzhaṃ, mhaṇaje sagaḷyāṃçaṃça bhalaṃ āhe," Savi's expression changed, as if she caught that Vidyadhar mentioned his own self-interest rather than Arjun's welfare.

rainbow_colours thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

Could Vidyadhar's injury be connected to Sharada's panic at the very mention of Kavathe-Bhairavgad? Perhaps Sharada was supposed to look after the child Vidyadhar, and when she was blamed for his accident, she had to flee.

Pradip says that Sharada lived in Bhima Sadan, and he believes that assassins are after him. Although Pradip is insane and doesn't recognize Krishna'i's face, we can't ignore the possibility that the assassins are real and they might have caused Vidyadhar's injury.

In the real world, a person can be born with a disability, and it's just part of human diversity. Is Vidyadhar like that?

Or, just as Vidyadhar was revealed as the sūtradhāra of Vishvambhar's plan, will another character be revealed as a villain? Did Bhima'i want Krishna'i's children out of Arjun's way? Does Priya seem a little too innocent and obedient to her three big brothers?

What does everyone think about the cause of Vidyadhar's paralysis?

Krishna'i has mentioned that she entered Bhima Sadan only after Bhima'i died and soon after she came the well also dried up. So it is unlikely that Sharda or Pradip would recognise Krishna'i her children and VV.

Also it is unlikely that Arjun would've injured VD since VD has always acted like a loving brother to him. 

Maybe when the maarekaris went after Bhima'is brother to kill him ...VD followed too (must've been small) and got injured in the process...... this also could be his anger on Bhima'i and inturn Arjun. 

Lastly Bhalchandra maybe doting on Arjun ...who wouldn't on a bonny baby and an intelligent one too 😊

I think you're just tired of typing the entire names Vishvambhar and Vidyadhar, but "VD" means venereal disease and the forum guidelines ask us to avoid insulting nicknames and texting abbreviations.

The show has never told us that Bhima'i had a brother, and the idea that Vidyadhar followed him without living in Bhima Sadan seems far-fetched.

Krishna'i didn't explicitly say that she entered Bhima Sadan only after Bhima'i's death and then the well dried up. She said that the well has been dry ever since she came to Bhima Sadan upon marriage, 24-25 years ago. Another time, she said that having fulfilled her married life while trying her best not to spoil Bhima Tāī's married life, she felt that the dry well was a reminder that she wasn't good enough to take Bhima's place. Arjun remembers how Krishna'i comforted him upon Bhima'i's death. How many years older than 25 is Arjun then?

Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

I think you're just tired of typing the entire names Vishvambhar and Vidyadhar, but "VD" means venereal disease and the forum guidelines ask us to avoid insulting nicknames and texting abbreviations.

The show has never told us that Bhima'i had a brother, and the idea that Vidyadhar followed him without living in Bhima Sadan seems far-fetched.

Krishna'i didn't explicitly say that she entered Bhima Sadan only after Bhima'i's death and then the well dried up. She said that the well has been dry ever since she came to Bhima Sadan upon marriage, 24-25 years ago. Another time, she said that having fulfilled her married life while trying her best not to spoil Bhima Tāī's married life, she felt that the dry well was a reminder that she wasn't good enough to take Bhima's place. Arjun remembers how Krishna'i comforted him upon Bhima'i's death. How many years older than 25 is Arjun then?

Oops...point noted about the abbreviations......will stick to vidya then 😊

I am sure that Krishna'i came to Bhima Sadan only after Bhima'i died...... i vaguely remember in one of the earlier episodes Arjun and Krishna'i speaking about the time when he was a child and realised that his mother had passed away......someone told him that now onwards this is your mother and thrusted him to Krishna'i. He also took to Krishna'i like his own mother...... so looks like he didn't know Krishna'i before that else noone wouldv'e had to tell him that she is the new mother.... 

Also Arjun must've been 5-6 yrs old when his mother died .... so now he must be 30+..... assuming he was in the US till when he was 23-24 (thats when one would complete post grad)  he mustve been handling his business for the past 5 yrs after coming back to india.....

😊

Originally posted by: rainbow_colours

I am sure that Krishna'i came to Bhima Sadan only after Bhima'i died...... i vaguely remember in one of the earlier episodes Arjun and Krishna'i speaking about the time when he was a child and realised that his mother had passed away......someone told him that now onwards this is your mother and thrusted him to Krishna'i. He also took to Krishna'i like his own mother...... so looks like he didn't know Krishna'i before that else noone wouldv'e had to tell him that she is the new mother.... 

Also Arjun must've been 5-6 yrs old when his mother died .... so now he must be 30+.

I believe you're vaguely remembering the February 25 episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKuyhLh_8bk

This is the relevant dialogue about Bhima'i's death:

अर्जुन : कृष्णाई? भीमाई गेली ना तेव्हां सगळे रडत होते. मला एकट्यालाच रडू येत नव्हतं. सगळे मला सांगत होते, रड! रड! रड! पण काही केल्या ना, बांध फुटेचना.

कृष्णाई : आम्ही तुझ्या पाठीवर हात ठेवला. आणि तू आमच्या कुशीत शिरून रडायला लागलास. तिथं आम्ही मोकळे झालो.

अर्जुन : त्या क्षणी मला कळलं, माझी भीमाई गेली, पण तुझ्या रूपानं ती परत आली. ती मला कधीच सोडून जाणार नाही. तू माझी आई आहेस, कृष्णाई. कृष्णाईच भीमाई आहे.

कृष्णाई : तुझी ही कृष्णाई तुला सोडून कधीच कुठंच जाणार नाही.

Correctly identified !!

I dont think Arjun has himself mentioned Bhima'i very often..... always Krishna'i speaks about her and with lots of respect.

She mustve been a good human being.

Arjun's body language suggesting that he would attack Nanda was out of character. Arjun might hurl a coffee cup in front of a woman or fling papers at her, but he's sensitive to the accusation that he lacks chivalry.

When Arjun thought that Nanda had anonymously warned him that Savitri is a fraud, he told Nanda that he would leave her unpunished this time out of regard for Vidyadhar, but he could cut off her allowance. Arjun's love and respect for Vidyadhar are stronger than his take-charge-and-punish attitude.

How much time has Savi wasted on levelling Nanda with stupid pranks? Tripping her into mud ... admitting her to the hospital ... diagnosing her as a sleepwalker ... poisoning her with soup ... How totally out of character for Savi to be holding Arjun back and silently enduring Nanda's tirade!

Arjun has always been the one telling himself, "Control, Arjun." He doesn't need Savi to ask him sweetly to promise to control his temper.

Please, writers, don't squeeze these unique characters into traditional gender roles!

Krishna'i just had a heart attack, and now she's dizzy with nervous stress. Arjun is telling her, "Drink a little coffee; you'll feel better!"

Caffeine is a stimulant; someone who needs to sleep shouldn't drink coffee at night. Arjun even said that it's already past midnight, and Krishna'i said that the pūjārī will arrive at seven in the morning!

Maybe there was a similar situation with Vidyadhar. For example, he had a sore muscle in his arm from lifting weights, and Arjun played doctor, causing permanent nerve damage.

Posted: 9 months ago

Arjun asked how Vidyadhar is able to take such quick decisions, and then remarked that Vidyadhar has always been unafraid to take risks.

Was that an allusion to Vidyadhar risking himself to protect someone, and losing the use of his arm and leg?