Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Koeli thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Originally posted by: BrhannadaArmour

One way that all of us can support mental health is by avoiding insensitive jokes and raising each other's awareness of them.

A couple of days ago, I read a fan fiction that made fun of a character's need to clean as "slight OCD." I asked the author not to trivialize Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, a real mental illness. The author promptly deleted my comment. That is one of the perquisites of being an FFEditor. She left the joke in her story, maybe because it's "just a joke" or "everyone uses this expression."

Imagine someone whose daily life is a struggle because s/he is constantly distracted by something that s/he knows isn't important, and s/he can't help repeating an action that s/he knows isn't necessary. On top of the OCD itself, which impacts the person's productivity and quality of life, this person feels acute embarrassment. Not being able to control thoughts and actions is embarrassing in itself. When onlookers stare, roll their eyes, point, call out "Stop!" as if the person isn't aware of what s/he is doing ... that's even more embarrassing.

Every time this person hears or reads a joke about OCD, it reinforces the misconception that it's trivial, everyone else does this stuff occasionally, just lighten up and learn to let go. This person may not receive proper treatment for OCD symptoms for an average of 14 to 17 years because it isn't taken seriously.

I hope FFEditors will take this section of the Fan Fiction Rules seriously:

Writers'/Authors' Guidelines #8: Insensitivity towards groups of people, and labelling will be redacted. The author will be asked to remove that content.

Ideally, we wouldn't even need a rule. We would be able to talk to each other, look up facts, and agree that "OCD" is not the right word to describe a character's funny and endearing habit of excessive cleaning.

You really don’t understand one basic instruction. If you have any issue with anyone kindly pm that person directly instead of humiliating that person on a GA thread. Instead of tagging the ffes in an irrelevant thread just to prove your point about a particular thing doesn’t work. I am done repeating same thing again and again to you.

Edited by Koeli - 1 years ago
heavenlybliss thumbnail

Originally posted by: NerdyMukta

Thanks Hina and Tannu.

I like the idea of writing poems and stories.

And writing in third person.

I used to journal regularly in high school and until a few years after marriage. One day someone (won't disclose who) read my journal and I stopped. Since then, I email my feelings to myself whenever it's overwhelming.

Found this in Target today 😆

82f79cf9-e706-489d-ae7e-638c5909a098.jpg

Maybe try making an online journal on wordpress or blogspot. You can keep it private.

ExoticDisaster thumbnail

One way that all of us can support mental health is by avoiding insensitive jokes and raising each other's awareness of them.

A couple of days ago, I read a fan fiction that made fun of a character's need to clean as "slight OCD." I asked the author not to trivialize Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, a real mental illness. The author promptly deleted my comment. That is one of the perquisites of being an FFEditor. She left the joke in her story, maybe because it's "just a joke" or "everyone uses this expression."

Imagine someone whose daily life is a struggle because s/he is constantly distracted by something that s/he knows isn't important, and s/he can't help repeating an action that s/he knows isn't necessary. On top of the OCD itself, which impacts the person's productivity and quality of life, this person feels acute embarrassment. Not being able to control thoughts and actions is embarrassing in itself. When onlookers stare, roll their eyes, point, call out "Stop!" as if the person isn't aware of what s/he is doing ... that's even more embarrassing.

Every time this person hears or reads a joke about OCD, it reinforces the misconception that it's trivial, everyone else does this stuff occasionally, just lighten up and learn to let go. This person may not receive proper treatment for OCD symptoms for an average of 14 to 17 years because it isn't taken seriously.

I hope FFEditors will take this section of the Fan Fiction Rules seriously:

Writers'/Authors' Guidelines #8: Insensitivity towards groups of people, and labelling will be redacted. The author will be asked to remove that content.

Ideally, we wouldn't even need a rule. We would be able to talk to each other, look up facts, and agree that "OCD" is not the right word to describe a character's funny and endearing habit of excessive cleaning.

I really didn't want to spoil my mood after reading your comments in the story because it's Diwali but this is too much. It's a thread to create mental health awareness, not to discuss stories you keep nitpicking on.

Talking about OCD, yes it is a disorder and is very common. 40 out of 100 adult might have OCD and, every human being has at least 3℅ of OCD. 96℅ of the population have compulsive thoughts at least once in their life time.

And everyone who is a cleanliness freak believe that they suffer from OCD. It is not possible for everyone to understand the seriousness of everything.

Just like you had too many misconceptions about classical dance and music, still wrote it in the story.

Many TV shows and movies use the word wherever cleanliness is concerned, why don't you reach them? They surely need some lessons for misusing OCD.

It's nothing wrong in using OCD describe a character's habit of excessive cleaning.

You can PM the FFEs if you have problem, kindly refrain from posting stuffs unrelated to the topics.

BlackWitch thumbnail

This happened to me as well - thrice! 😢 Someone read all the raw, unfiltered emotions I had written in my diaries as a teenager and then mocked me over it. I was just mortified and shattered 😞

So, I created an online diary with a password (diary.com, I think) and wrote there whenever I felt overwhelmed. It really gave me a huge peace of mind. Hoping this helps you too ❤️

Thanks Hina and Tannu.

I like the idea of writing poems and stories.

And writing in third person.

I used to journal regularly in high school and until a few years after marriage. One day someone (won't disclose who) read my journal and I stopped. Since then, I email my feelings to myself whenever it's overwhelming.

Found this in Target today 😆

82f79cf9-e706-489d-ae7e-638c5909a098.jpg

1215019 thumbnail

This thread is about what we can do in support of mental health. I have made a general suggestion to authors and FFEditors to encourage sensitive writing, providing one example without naming the author or linking to the book. Those who can read what I actually wrote may think about it. Kindly don't make it personal when it isn't.

I have never discouraged any writer, even when it is necessary to speak against irresponsible and harmful writing. I don't want to negate the excellence that any writers imagine in themselves. If they review their work and keep practising, that excellence can become a reality. That's why I take the time to comment, I make specific suggestions for improvement, and I never comment negatively on someone's qualities as a writer or as a person.

You can imagine hostility where it doesn't exist, and focus on me personally to ignore the substance of what I say, or you can choose to be fair.

NerdyMukta thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: BlackWitch

This happened to me as well - thrice! 😢 Someone read all the raw, unfiltered emotions I had written in my diaries as a teenager and then mocked me over it. I was just mortified and shattered 😞

So, I created an online diary with a password (diary.com, I think) and wrote there whenever I felt overwhelmed. It really gave me a huge peace of mind. Hoping this helps you too ❤️

I can only imagine how traumatizing it must have been for you 😥. I was not mocked but was confronted and judged.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.❤️

Koeli thumbnail

This thread is about what we can do in support of mental health. I have made a general suggestion to authors and FFEditors to encourage sensitive writing, providing one example without naming the author or linking to the book. Those who can read what I actually wrote may think about it. Kindly don't make it personal when it isn't.

I have never discouraged any writer, even when it is necessary to speak against irresponsible and harmful writing. I don't want to negate the excellence that any writers imagine in themselves. If they review their work and keep practising, that excellence can become a reality. That's why I take the time to comment, I make specific suggestions for improvement, and I never comment negatively on someone's qualities as a writer or as a person.

You can imagine hostility where it doesn't exist, and focus on me personally to ignore the substance of what I say, or you can choose to be fair.

Kindly pm me next time if you have any particular issue or any suggestions regarding anything related to ff section instead of indirectly mocking someone’s writing or any action that has been taken in ffE section. Talking about pinpointing someone’s irresponsible writing, I guess you haven’t been so yourself when we asked you to be respectful towards an author by pming the person about your concerns instead of beta reading their stories when they didn’t approach you for the same. You are very well informed about these as you have been doing this from past one year or even more. But no, you choose not to follow what we the mods and ffes are politely telling you. You just need a GA thread to start and harass others and bring irreverent issues that doesnt/not suppose to be discussed openly. If someone really want to be vocal about things, he/she needs to do things rights first then pinpoint others. Taking about mental health, bullying and targeting others is also not a very healthy practice. Thanks.

Edited by Koeli - 1 years ago
x.titli.x thumbnail

Do any of you write a journal everyday?

And has it helped with your mental health?

I used to write few bits here and there when I was a teen and even today but I have stopped midway.

I know Instagram is not fully relatable but many accounts talking about mental health suggest journaling thoughts.... writing helps to vent out emotions.

I pray you find peace In Shaa Allah. ❤️

Take care🤗

x.titli.x thumbnail

Sending you a tight hug🤗❤️

1215019 thumbnail

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/post/162313277

Oh oh, looks like someone forgot their meds again 🫣

No one should be shamed for taking medication to deal with mental illness, or for being mentally ill. It's not a choice or a defect of character.

Even a mentally ill person, prone to irrational outbursts, might say something cogent on occasion. So, I make a conscious effort to respond to what people say, not to who they are, and never to put them in their places by calling them uneducated, ill-bred, unintelligent, mentally ill or whatever.

I post my opinions with full awareness that those who find their actions criticized will take it personally and look for any excuse to dismiss me as a person because they can't rebut my points.

If someone imagines me to be mentally ill, dependent on medication, or whatever, that doesn't diminish my self-esteem. However, reading those mocking words, bullying people who take meds to keep quiet or face ridicule, could hurt anyone on the internet who has found the courage to accept mental illness and take medication every day.

I have a responsibility to speak out against that harm as publicly as possible, at any cost.