Annyeonghaseyo - CC#1

EXOL thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 1 years ago

To discuss any other topics not in the main forum and to interact with other members!! 

Edited by EXOL - 1 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Leprechaun thumbnail

Annyeong GIFs | Tenor

Charu21 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail + 6

Aaah thanks for making this thread EXOL.

Annyeong chingudeul.. πŸ€—

Charu21 thumbnail

So Chir cute you live in Korea right. I wanted to ask you about somethingfor so long . I had seen few youtubers staying in S Korea mentioning about the racism faced there / S Korean people being not so friendly. What is your experience? Does it really happen or because regular people are not that fluent in English and that's why they tend to avoid non koreans? 

Chir-Cute thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail + 9

Originally posted by: Charu21

So Chir cute you live in Korea right. I wanted to ask you about somethingfor so long . I had seen few youtubers staying in S Korea mentioning about the racism faced there / S Korean people being not so friendly. What is your experience? Does it really happen or because regular people are not that fluent in English and that's why they tend to avoid non koreans? 

Uff.. firstly thank you for bringing me back here. I have so many pending replies. Sorry to all who asked me something and I didn't reply. Life happens... I will get back to it asap.

Anyway coming to your question.

The main thing, racism exists in every country in various forms. South Korea is no exception to that. Korea was a very homogenous country and 60-65 years ago, they didn't even know other people except for Americans, Chinese, Japanese or Vietnamese people. The common thing in all those people, is all are white people. So when in the last let's say 10 years when Korea became more globalised, foreigners of all nations started coming in. That was a big change for those who were not in diplomatic positions. Because diplomats have been out and about and know what's out there. Seeing something on television and in reality are two different things so most of the time, curiosity gets better for them and they end up doing something that they do not realize is racist.

A real example. An acquaintance of mine from Nigeria went to a village for a trip or something. He is super fluent in Korean too. So because the villagers were seeing a black guy for the first they were genuinely astonished. While conversing with him, an old grandma, started rubbing his hand trying to figure out if he had applied something to his skin. So the guy had to explain to her about skin colour. Was there malice in that action? No. But will it be counted as racist even if unintentional? Yes, especially considering all the struggles our black friends suffer globally. Of course, there are people who are genuinely trash too, but that's a minority group.

Koreans are very proud of their achievements and their transition from a country receiving aid from the world (mainly USA) o becoming a country giving aid now in a span of fewer than 70 years. America has been a great help to them and the people are grateful to them hence globally whether they agree with USA or not they kinda get obliged to agree with them because they feel forever indebted to them. They get so happy to see Americans. 

Now, another important part. As a visitor to a country, one should understand, that the whole country will not change her way of life to cater for the visitor. The visitor has to adapt to their way of life. Not liking something is absolutely fine but how you express that without hurting sentiments is very important. 

In my own personal situation and in all honesty apart from encountering a one-time drunk ajheosshi, I have met wonderful Koreans. When I was moving cities, I had to take a subway from the bus terminal to my new place and I had a huge suitcase and a backpack and a purse. I was genuinely struggling with my stuff up the stairs. This was my first time in that locality as well so I didn't know where to look for things. To say I was scared, would be pretty correct too. Out of nowhere random ladies who were going in the same direction, just picked up my suitcase and helped me up the stairs. One even helped me catch the taxi as well. And this is all without me even asking for help. This is the level of kindness they have. My landlady is always scolding me like a typical grandma to eat. Whenever she knows am at home, she will make sure that she prepares meals for me too and she is 86. 

The main reason why Koreans may seem distant to foreigners is because of the huge language barrier. majority population doesn't know how to speak English well and they are embarrassed to communicate but believe me the moment they realize you can speak their language, most of them will pamper you like a celeb. Even if you just greet them with the typical "annyeonghaseyo", they will be over the moon. 

Pro-tip: do this at the street food carts or markets, you will get a lot of food πŸ˜†

So basically all am saying is, give the country and the people a chance. not everyone experiences the same. You'd actually be surprised at how much warmth they have to offer. the older ones love talking and you would be delighted to talk to them too. 

Definitely recommend travel. Don't believe everything you see or hear on social media, in fact, don't even take my word for it. Travel and experience it for yourself. Highly recommending. It's one of the safest countries. 

Sorry for the extra long reply and excuse the typing errors. Not proofread.

Edited by Chir-Cute - 1 years ago
Charu21 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Chir-Cute

Uff.. firstly thank you for bringing me back here. i have so many pending replies. Sorry to all who asked me something and I didn't reply. Life happens... I will get back to it asap.

Anyway coming to your question.

The main thing, racism esists in every country in various forms. South Korea is no exception to that. Korea was a very homogenous country and 60-65 years ago, they didn't even know other people except Americans, Chinese, Japanese or Veitnamese people. Common thing in all those people, all white people. So when in the last let's say 10 years when Korea became more globalised, foreigners of all nations started coming in. That was a big change for those who were not in diplomatic positions. Because diplomats have been out and about and know what's out there. Seeing something in television and in real are two different things so most of the time, curiosity gets better of them and they end up doing something that they do not realize as racist.

A real example. An aquaintance of mine from Nigeria, went to a village for a trip or something. He is super fluent in Korean too. So because the villagers were seeing a black guy for the first they were genuinely astonished. While conversing with him, an old grandma, started rubbing his hand trying to figure out if he had applied something to his skin. So the guy had to explain to her about skin colour. Was there malice in that action? No. But will it be counted as racist even if unintentional? Yes, especially considering all the struggles our black friends suffer globally. Of course there are people who are genuinely trash too but that's a minority group.

Koreans are very proud of their achievements and their transition from a country receiving aid from the world (mainly USA) o becoming a country giving aid now in a span of less than 70 years. America has been a great help to them and the people are grateful to them hence globally whether they agree with USAor not they kinda get obliged to agree with them because they feel forever indebted to them. They get so happy to see Americans. 

Now, another important part. As a visitor to a country, one should understand, that the whole country will not change her way of life to cater for the visitor. The visitor has to adapt to their way of life. Not liking something is absolutely fine but how you express that without hurting sentiments is very imortant. 

In my own personal situation and in all honesty apart from encountering a one time drunk ajheosshi, i have met wonderful Koreans. When I was movig cities, I had to take a subway from the bus terminal to my new place and I had a huge suitcase and a backpack and a purse. I was genuinely struggling with my stuff up the stairs. This was my first time in that locality as well so I didn't know where to look for things. To say i was scared, would be pretty correct too. Out of nowhere random ladies who were going in the same direction, just picked my suitcase and helped me up the stairs. One even helped me catch the taxi as well. And this is all without me even asking for help. This is the level of kindess they have. My landlady is always scolding me like a typical grandma to eat. Whenever she knows am at home, she will make sure that she prepares meals for me too and she is 86. 

The main reason why Koreans may seem distant to foreigners  is because of the huge language barrier. majority population doesn't know how to speak English well and they are embarrassed to communicate but believe me the moemnet they realize you can speak their language, most of them will pamper you like a celeb. Even if you just greet them with the typical "annyeonghaseyo", they will be over the moon. 

Pro-tip: do this at the street food carts or markets, you will get a lot of food πŸ˜†

So basically all am saying is, give the country and the people a chance. not everyone experiences the same. You'd actually be surprised at how much warmth they have to offer. the older ones love talking and you would be delighted to talk to them too. 

Definitely recomending travel. Don't beieve everything you see or here on social media, in fact don't even take my word for it. Travel and experience it for yourself. Highly recommending. It's one of the safest countries. 

I know at times I also miss replying to messages/tags and if you are a part of multiple private forums then it may become a huge task smiley36

Oh my goodness! No. Your reply was not at all long as you have covered all the points so nicely which cleared all my doubts. smiley31 In fact thank you for taking this much time to explain it in such detail. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post. 

Learning Korean has always been on my to-do list. Once I get comfortable with it, I will surely plan my trip and experience everything personally. 

IamRaj96 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Chir-Cute

A real example. An aquaintance of mine from Nigeria, went to a village for a trip or something. He is super fluent in Korean too. So because the villagers were seeing a black guy for the first they were genuinely astonished. While conversing with him, an old grandma, started rubbing his hand trying to figure out if he had applied something to his skin. So the guy had to explain to her about skin colour. Was there malice in that action? No. But will it be counted as racist even if unintentional? Yes, especially considering all the struggles our black friends suffer globally. Of course there are people who are genuinely trash too but that's a minority group.

In my own personal situation and in all honesty apart from encountering a one time drunk ajheosshi, i have met wonderful Koreans. When I was movig cities, I had to take a subway from the bus terminal to my new place and I had a huge suitcase and a backpack and a purse. I was genuinely struggling with my stuff up the stairs. This was my first time in that locality as well so I didn't know where to look for things. To say i was scared, would be pretty correct too. Out of nowhere random ladies who were going in the same direction, just picked my suitcase and helped me up the stairs. One even helped me catch the taxi as well. And this is all without me even asking for help. This is the level of kindess they have. My landlady is always scolding me like a typical grandma to eat. Whenever she knows am at home, she will make sure that she prepares meals for me too and she is 86. 

The main reason why Koreans may seem distant to foreigners  is because of the huge language barrier. majority population doesn't know how to speak English well and they are embarrassed to communicate but believe me the moemnet they realize you can speak their language, most of them will pamper you like a celeb. Even if you just greet them with the typical "annyeonghaseyo", they will be over the moon. 

Definitely recomending travel. Don't beieve everything you see or here on social media, in fact don't even take my word for it. Travel and experience it for yourself. Highly recommending. It's one of the safest countries. 

Gr8 read πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

I think treatment to foreigner is kinda similar to how indians treated foreigner except one thing is part of indian population knws how to speak english so they didnt hesitate to initiate conversation with foreigners. 

If u see how indian reacts to foreigner for first tym is as same as how most of asian country ppl reacts to foreigner for very first tym. At first they gets surprised to see foreigner in their country. Then once u start speaking their language they will pamper u alot. (In india evn if u speak english indians will help u alot) 

I think in only european countries and USA ppl dont get much bothered by foreigners, they didnt care less if any foreigner passes by them. (I think australian ppl also dont get much bothered by foreigners existance in their country)

Edited by IamRaj96 - 1 years ago
IamRaj96 thumbnail

Flower of evil gets hindi remake named as Duranga 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cgbir2HvAwF/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Its a 9 episode series. The show will be produced by Rose Audio Visuals (Remix, Dekha Ek Khwab ph).

https://www.ahmedabadmirror.com/gulshan-devaiah-to-star-in-duranga-based-on-korean-show-flower-of-evil/81840152.html

Edited by IamRaj96 - 1 years ago
IamRaj96 thumbnail

Flower of evil was one of my fav kdrama thriller, dont knw if they will be able to make show as good as original or not 

EXOL thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail + 7

oh yes I saw the news about flower of evil remake.. not sure how well they gonna do it . I dont recognize the guy tho