Ranveer article - YRF are letting him down

priya185 thumbnail

Comedy Crew

Posted: 2 years ago

Now that Ranveer Singh has paid another round of gurudakshina to Aditya Chopra, perhaps he will start vetting his mentor’s scripts a little more seriously. Until Friday the 13th, Ranveer revelled in being called a chameleon by scribes who lavished praise on his versatility. But the frigid Rs 3 crore opening day collections of his outing as Jayeshbhai Jordaar have taken the shine out of the swagger as it was like an effete tour of Gujarat. It’s when films like this come along that the importance of a script and a director get reinforced.

And Aditya Chopra as producer has been consistently letting down his protégé.

Discovered and put into orbit by Yash Raj Films, Ranveer Singh had the best possible debut with Band Baajaa Baaraat in 2010, a well-conceived and efficiently executed film in which the Sindhi boy from Bombay turned himself into an incredibly believable Delhi lad.

One accepts that one can’t let go of the hand that launched one’s career. But Adi, too, has a responsibility when he asks his discovery to do a film. Does one even remember that Ranveer has worked in such immemorable YRF films as Ladies Vs Ricky Bahl and Kill/Dil? There was an average Gunday in between but Adi hit rock bottom when he directed Ranveer in the disastrous Befikre. This was in December 2016, when Hindi cinema was booming. The same month when Aamir Khan’s Dangal came as a Christmas offering and became a byword for blockbuster.

full article https://www.telegraphindia.com/entertainment/columnist-bharathi-s-pradhan-on-protege-premium/cid/1866318?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tt_daily_twit

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

KJo and Ranveer probably typed this jointly. He is definitely worried about Rocky Rani 

pathaka thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6

In all fairness , some of ranveers worst work (barring his debut) have been with yrf

What in gods green earth is gunday, lvrb, befikre, jayesh bhai, kill dill?

If it weren’t for slb saving his ass every 3 years he’d be cold turkey at the bo

MostlyHarmIess thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: pathaka

In all fairness , some of ranveers worst work (barring his debut) have been with yrf

If it weren’t for slb saving his ass every 3 years he’d be cold turkey at the bo

I mean YRF hasn't made a good film in maybe 7 years, so it isn't really specific to Ranveer

mz.gigglez thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Ranveer clearly signed this movie when he saw Ayushman give hits with such storylines, but clearly this is not up his alley. 

Minionite thumbnail

Sarcastic Chatterbox

Originally posted by: semantic.error

I mean YRF hasn't made a good film in maybe 7 years, so it isn't really specific to Ranveer

Not fully true. In the past 7 years, YRF has also released Tiger Zinda Hai, War, Mardaani 2, Hichki, Sui Dhaaga, Sultan, Dum Laga Ke Haisha, and Detective Byomkesh Bakshi.

Ranveer's films with them have flopped and then so did basically any other Khan movie.

Minionite thumbnail

Sarcastic Chatterbox

Originally posted by: pathaka

Agreed and in between Rohit Shetty added him to the cop universe so now he'll get some success from his role of Simmba.

Lulzbolly thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

There is some truth to SLB saving his ass time and again. Without him, I doubt he would have survived. Hell, I kinda doubt Gangubai would have done well if it wasn't for SLB. He is kind of a brand like Rohit Shetty and Rajkumar Hirani.

MaxMayfield thumbnail

Originally posted by: mz.gigglez

Ranveer clearly signed this movie when he saw Ayushman give hits with such storylines, but clearly this is not up his alley. 

thats what I felt too..he wanted to do the small town boy genre to connect with Tier 2/ Tier 3 masses, but it dint work out.

Ranveer not having star power..well Gully Boy had a big opening day too, despite its unconventional storyline..!

83 opening day - I just dont understand what went wrong with that movie's BO, besides the covid factor, which doesnt make sense because it should have atleast opened very well..😳

Ranveer's Anupama Chopra interview recently made me think he is fed up of YRF..because you could tell he knew Jayesh bhai is going to fail..

MaebyFunke thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Ranveer should have cut off YRF after the three movies contract deal. SRK gave a string of flops hanging onto YRF as well. All they do is suck any prospect of bankability and talent out of these actors with sub par scripts and roles. The hits are few and far in between. 

KJo's PR gimmicks wouldn't work either way. Bleh.