Views

Users

Frequent Posters

hotchoco thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: TheMinion

It was inappropriate content according to my mum 😂

Same with my mom. She always complained about Madhuri being vulgar. Madhuri was the male fantasy of her time like Katrina is. 

As a star, I think Sridevi was much bigger. They were before my time but even now I think Sridevi still had a lot of good films. They are still watchable and quite fun. Madhuri had a pretty bad filmography. Sridevi's comeback was really good too. Both English Vinglish and Mom were great films. I wish she had lived longer. She would have shown what older actresses are capable of. Madhuri just doesn't have it IMO. 

forza thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 3 Thumbnail

Madhuri was bigger, 

SRK_Deewani92 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2

I can never choose between both❤️❤️

They were the biggest female superstars of their time

It is impossible for someone to become another Sridevi or Madhuri Dixit.

harun98 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 2 years ago

Originally posted by: diasingh2

Being born in 1992, I also did not get the first hand experience of Sridevi's stardom BUT I did witness a bit of Madhuri mania from 1997 to 1999, as I do retain some blurry memories from this period.

Now based on what I've heard from my parents, family and elderly generation AND based on my personal research & opinion too --->  Sridevi was the bigger starsmiley14, especially considering the time-period she was active.

Sridevi had this unique ability to appeal to every demographic be it young men, young women, kids or elderly... basically everyone was in awe of her magnificent screen presence.smiley42 and she slowly acquired this capability to effortlessly steal the limelight from her male co-stars.

Sri also had a wider reach because she worked in South Indian films too and was equally popular in that landscape.smiley32 Not to mention, she would go on to inspire many 90s actresses who were young during this time-period (Kajol, Urmila etc etc). There's a reason why she is called the "first female superstar" of Indian Cinema.smiley10

But unfortunately, Sridevi is mostly remembered as an "80s heroine", which was arguably the worst decade of Indian cinema. In addition to working in some seriously bad films, Sridevi had to compte with Jaya Prada, Meenakshi Sheshadri, Dimple, Amrita Singh and many others right from the begining of her career.

Which is where Madhuri got lucky! She rose to prominence in the 90s when BW started to change.

First of all, Madhuri relied heavily on her sex-appeal and dance in the beginning of her career, which Sridevi (who was deemed her rival) and others clearly lacked.smiley26 80s actresses like Jay Prada, Meenakshi etc gradually stopped working actively so Madhuri got to work opposite various actors like Dutt, Shroff, Sunny, Anil, Rishi etc. AND she simultaneously got to work with newcomers like SRK, Aamir, Salman etc. Whereas Sridevi was deemed "too old" to work with newcomers.smiley39

Madhuri got even luckier as she was not pitted against even newer batch of 90s actresses like Raveena, Urmila, Kajol, Karisma etc because she was "too senior" for them. Her only true contemporary in the 90s was Juhi who anyways stayed comfortable in her "bubbly" image. Only one young actress who could've given tough competition to both Sri and Madhuri in terms of stardom at that time was Divya Bharti, but she  unfortunately died in 93 & her career was cut short.smiley13smiley28

Once Madhuri started doing performance-oriented roles like Anjaam/Prem Granth and once Hum Aapke Hain Koun...! happened, there was no looking back for hersmiley32smiley20...whereas Sridevi's stardom started to fade by then.

With Bollywood going international and so many young directors/filmmakers coming in.. everything sort of worked in Madhuri's favor and she ended up becoming a superstar by the dawn of millennium in her own right, which is great as well. smiley32smiley10 She was certainly destined to become one.

lol sridevi was widely known for her sex appeal also but changed her image post 90s, madhuri relied mostly on her item songs because thats all people like her for which is a shame as i always thought she was very talented.

MargaritaLover thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Don't take this forum's opinions seriously. I mean only in this forum you will see people undermining madhuri's achievements. When in reality she is one of the biggest female superstars of bollywood. Madhuri is one of the most immensely popular yesteryear stars on SM as well as the favorite of almost every BW actor/actress. She was the only actress to dethrone Sridevi and became one of the biggest and highest paid stars in the 90s and the last biggest female superstar of bollywood. 

PardesiBabu thumbnail
Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Anniversary 2 Thumbnail

Sridevi was more popular bcoz she made it big in South and North. I don't think people from South know Madhuri

Edited by PardesiBabu - 2 years ago
HearMeRoar thumbnail

Originally posted by: MargaritaLover

Don't take this forum's opinions seriously. I mean only in this forum you will see people undermining madhuri's achievements. When in reality she is one of the biggest female superstars of bollywood. Madhuri is one of the most immensely popular yesteryear stars on SM as well as the favorite of almost every BW actor/actress. She was the only actress to dethrone Sridevi and became one of the biggest and highest paid stars in the 90s and the last biggest female superstar of bollywood. 

*One of the* being the key phrase.

*I* did live through both the 80s and 90s. Sridevi was called the first female superstar. Movies were written around her. Audience flocked to the theatres to see her, and not the hero. She wasn't a sex symbol alone beyond her first few movies in Bollywood.

Because Sridevi was around in Indian cinema as a whole since the 70s, she was considered too old by the late 80s/early 90s. Madhuri was considered next gen despite being only 4 years younger than Sridevi. 

And no, Madhuri's popularity was nowhere close to Sridevi. Every type of movie goer loved Sridevi - from kids to horny old men. Madhuri was more the male fantasy.

Then there is the pan India aspect. North, South, East, West... everyone knew Sridevi. The 90s being somewhat pre internet, only Bollywood aficionados knew Madhuri south of the Vindhyas.

No one is underplaying Madhuri's achievements. She, too, was a female superstar. She, too, put bums in seats. But her appeal was not only different from Sridevi's, it didn't have the same reach. That is perhaps one of the reasons HAHK was thought to be a game-changer for her. For once, the movie didn't rely on her sex appeal to sell. But it also turned out to be one of her last hits.

Edited by HearMeRoar - 2 years ago
Maroonporsche thumbnail

Madhuri is my favorite 

Was never into Sridevi

AB_RB thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Madhuri. Everyone liked Sri Devi in my surrounding but when asked to choose a favourite they mostly choose Madhuri and sometimes Meenakshi or Juhi or others. I don't know the reason for this since my favourites are mostly from previous generation like Rekha and co.

It is like if both their films are releasing on the same day, most people prefer Madhuri's first and maybe Sri Devi's later or on television. That is why I watched more Madhuri films in theatre. 

khamosshhh thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

The very fact that there r topics made on them and discussions happen on them going on for pages, show how popular both still are n to sustain that sort of popularity is incredible, especially in these times when people have such short term  memory and shelf life of popularity is also limited. 

So don't want to get into who's more popular, but they r surely the most popular amongst almost all bollywood actors, especially the female ones.