Were you rooting for Shruti and Barfi's love story in the movie Barfi?

mintyblue thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 3 years ago

I may be one of the minority, but I was rooting more for Shruti and Barfi's love story than Jhilmil and Barfi's. Shruti made one mistake not to listen to her heart but her love for Barfi was pure and true. The last scene where she points out Jhilmil to Barfi broke my heart. She could have easily chosen to walk away without doing the selfless act which she did, and Barfi would have been hers forever. But something in her was so committed to the happiness of Barfi that she did the right thing.

It's not because or despite Jhilmil's autistic character that I was not rooting for the love story between Barfi and Jhilmil. The love story between Shruti and Barfi felt more authentic, somehow, flawed but realistic. That one magic moment when they exchange a kiss remains etched in my cinematic memory.

Also, Shruti played by Ileana who did a brilliant job, is a character I feel most of us can identify with, torn between her heart and her mind. Somehow, I was rooting more for her and Barfi to be together and transcend all the odds which kept them from being together.

Thoughts???

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ashley.Tisdale thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

While I did understand Shruti's plight and sympathised with her, the one decision that she made of leaving choosing something else just made me feel those two weren't meant to be.

Sure they would be connected in a way always but they wouldn't end up together.

Nush_Rat thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7

Couldn't have said this better than you. And thank God that I am not the only one who felt that way. I did feel the only reason Barfi fell for Jhilmil when he realized Shruti could never be his when he spotted her at Kolkata and she walked away with her husband. Until then he was still committed to her only. When Shruti left her husband and ran behind the train - that has been one of my most favorite scenes.

566912 thumbnail

Nope.

Barfi and Jhilmil were perfect for each other.

Maroonporsche thumbnail

No the other story was better

https://youtu.be/yxIQH-g23gY

cut to 2:37 PC running to RK

That’s magic love

other girl didn’t have that

Rhimjhimsawan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

I don't know if I was fully rooting for them but I did love them and prefer them over barfi+jhilmil. Their story was quite Notebook-ish even with a copied scene that I loved. And that painful fight scene in the movie is one of my all time favorite movie scenes. Barfi and Jhilmil had a familial love in my opinion. Which is nice on its own but I would've loved romantic love.

loginidran thumbnail
Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Not even for a moment did I want anyone other than Barfi- Jhilmil. They are hand in glove with each other, the most perfect couple ever!❤️

Stella_001 thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

I never really rooted for them , there was something about the love that Barfi and jhilmil had .. Shruti and barfi was more like infatuation and what barfi and jhilmil had was the love that would last forever and it did

Muskie thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

Millenium Squad

I don't exactly remember the scene but when he takes both jhilmil and Shruthi under that street light, jhilmil doens't back off and kept holding his hand, whereas the later does. And it's not about her mental status, it was about the trust that jhilmil had for barfi which Shruthi lacked. And there's nothing wrong in what Shruthi did, she choose to listen her brain rather than her heart, she might also have been happy if she didn't kept thinking how her life would have been with barfi. If we choose one thing over other, then we should stick to it and shouldn't think of the later.

Last parah❤️ totally agree, ileana was love as Shruthi

Nishita123 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: nushy1995

When Shruti left her husband and ran behind the train - that has been one of my most favorite scenes.

Yes same here !! And phir le aaya dil in the background 💔 amazingly captured and Ileana was so good actually hard to say who acted better RK or her in that song/moments

Edited by Nishita123 - 3 years ago