Users

Frequent Posters

Aditi_X thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 1 years ago

Part 68

BlissHubs Fertility Clinic – Friday, 22 January, 11 am

"Okay Mrs. Bhalla, let's do this ultrasound and end all this confusion, huh?" 

The ultrasound technician brought down the probe on Ishita's lower belly covered in scanning gel. Raman sat on a stool beside her and rolled closer to where his wife laid down on the exam table. Instinctively, her hand found his and he intertwined their fingers together. She looked at him, nervous and jittery, and he gave a hard squeeze to comfort her. 

"It's okay, Ishita. We'll figure this out," he assured her.

She nodded and exhaled a shaky breath before turning her head to the ultrasound screen.

Flashback

Ishita picked up the pregnancy test with trembling hands. Raman held her shoulders from behind and drew in a shaky breath. She turned over the stick and they watched with their heart stuck in the throat. 

The results said...

PREGNANT

Ishita blinked.

Raman blinked.

"Does that say..."

"Is it really..."

"I'm pregnant?!" Ishita exclaimed in disbelief.

"You're pregnant!" Raman gasped. "We're pregnant!"

Immediately, Ishita threw her arms around her husband, shaking with sheer disbelief. Raman banded his arms around her waist and hugged her tightly, almost lifting her up in joy. It worked. It had finally worked. 

"I don't believe this, Raman..." Ishita whispered into his ear, her tears dripping on his collar. 

"You better believe it, my love," he whispered back. "I told you it would work."

He separated their hug and wiped her tears, peering at her with such love and tenderness, the tears started all over again. She closed the distance between them again, slanting her lips over his and kissing him through the joy.

"You're pregnant," he said between kisses.

"We're pregnant," she giggled, taking his hand and gently placing it on her tummy. "Humaara baby..." 

She didn't know how to finish the sentence but Raman understood. For his joy escaped from his eyes in the form of tears, just like her. 

But unfortunately, their joy was short-lived. For that same night, before they had even wrapped their heads around the new joy, Ishita got her period. She couldn't tell what was going on. Was the pregnancy test a false positive? Or was she actually pregnant and had lost it? Or was the bleeding just normal spotting in the early days of pregnancy?

Immediately, Raman had booked the very next appointment at the fertility clinic to answer their questions. 

Flashback ends

"So according to your records," the ultrasound tech said, "it's been six weeks since the end of your IVF cycle. We should be able to see the fetus on the sonogram."

Raman and Ishita gazed at the screen, holding hands and their breath. The ultrasound tech manuevered the scanning probe all over her belly. She looked for different angles and gradually, her brows furrowed and lips pursed. An ominous vertical line of concern appeared between her eyebrows.

Ishita easily picked up on the change in her expressions. "What's wrong? Why do you look like that? Is something wrong?" she asked, frantic.

"Um... I'll just... I'm just going to get Dr. Manoj Paul to look at this," the tech gulped.

"No no no no, this is the face that doctors make when something's wrong. Just tell me. Tell me what's wrong!" Ishita demanded.

"Ma'am, let me get Dr. Paul, okay?" 

The technician wiped the gel off the probe and put it away before rushing out to find the doctor, leaving Raman and Ishita behind in a cloud of doubt and panic.

"Raman, yeh sab kya ho raha hai?"

"Just breathe madrasan," Raman urged, even as he masked his own anxiety. 

Dr. Paul arrived in record time, pocketing his stethescope, and picked up the probe. 

"Doc, what's going on?!" Raman yelled. "That technician won't tell us anything. She just left to find you without saying a word. Humaari jaan nikli jaa rahi hai!"

"Just let me have a look, Raman. Just a minute." 

Manoj placed the probe on Ishita's lower belly and turned his attention to the screen. When the sonogram appeared, he held back a sigh of regret. 

"Raman, Ishita," he began. "Unfortunately... you're not pregnant."

"WHAT?! How is that possible...?" 

"But that pregnancy test! It said positive!"

"Did we lose the pregnancy?"

"What was that bleeding?"

Manoj gulped. This was the worst part of his job. 

"Raman, Ishita," he began, gesturing them to calm down. "The sonogram shows that you are not pregnant. And were likely never pregnant. What you guys experienced was what we call a chemical pregnancy. Home pregnancy test kits detect the presence of a hormone called hCG. Because of the IVF drugs and the implantation, you had high levels of that hormone in your system. But the embryo never implanted. The pregnancy never developed. That's why you got your period. I'm so sorry..."

Dr. Paul continued explaining the technicalities behind a chemical pregnancy and how they could still try again. How their chances to get pregnant naturally were greater after the surgery. But Ishita couldn't hear any of it. Wind whistled in her ears, and her vision was tunnel-focused on the sonogram. The sonogram with no baby. 

She was empty. 

A brick of tears jammed her throat and the walls began closing in. She couldn't do this anymore. She wasn't pregnant. There was no baby. 

"Ishita... Ishita, tum sun rahi ho?" 

Raman shook her by the shoulder, but she gave no response. She wasn't there. She couldn't be there. In a fraction of a second, she wiped the gel off her tummy and darted out of the room, straightening her askew saree and violently rubbing the tears rushing down her cheeks and neck. 

"Ishita! Ishita, wait!" Raman ran behind her, with his heart pounding out of his rib cage, and temple throbbing painfully. 

He found her hunched on a bench outside the back of the clinic, shaking and sobbing. A million shards of glass pierced the flesh of his heart, and he struggled to breathe. Tears leaked out of his eyes as he grasped her shoulder with trembling hands. 

Tu radave, Tu hasave,

Tu bolave dware... Tu bolave dware...

"Ishita..." he whispered.

His wife reacted instantly. She shot up from the bench and pushed him angrily, causing him to stumble two steps back. 

"WHY RAMAN?!" she screamed. "You said it would work! For a minute I thought it did work! Lekin ab..."

"Ishita, please sambhaalo apne aap ko-" Raman stepped forward and grasped her arms, but it did nothing to calm her down. She fisted her hands, slamming them on his chest, sobs racking through her lungs.

"Sab kuch khatam ho gaya... It's all over..." she cried.

The shards of glass shredded his heart, slicing it into ribbons. In all the time he had known her, he had never seen her break down like this. Nothing he said or did was getting through to her. All she could do was punch his chest and push him away. But he knew better than that.

"ISHITA!" he yelled, shaking her and boring his eyes into hers. "Sambhaalo khud ko! Please..." His loud, gruff voice took on a pleading tone at the last word. 

Nirasha asha same jyare jyare haare,

Jyare jyare haare...

When her eyes met his, she lost every last piece of fight she had left. Her head fell onto his chest and he brought his arms around her, holding her close as she cried her heart out. 

"It didn't work. Nothing worked," she sobbed into his neck. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry..."

"Shhh, bas madrasan." Raman stroked her hair and rubbed her back. "You have no reason to apologize. This is just... This was all out of our control. Maybe next time-"

"No." Ishita pulled back and looked into his eyes. "No, there's not going to be a next time. You convinced me to try one last time and I agreed. But not anymore. Please."

Raman gulped. She was right. She had agreed to try one last time. And she did. He couldn't compel her to do anything more. Neither of them had it in them anymore. 

"Okay," he nodded at her. 

Silence stretched between them like a taut string. Neither of them knew what to say. He guided her to the bench and they sat down, leaning into each other.

"I'm sorry Ishita. I thought it would work but..."

Raman didn't know what else to say. There were no words to console her. Instead, he simply kissed her on the forehead and took her into his arms again, burying his tear-streaked face into her hair. Ishita clung to him, her violent sobs subsiding to quiet sniffles, finding solace in the only person who could've understood her pain. 

Kori aakho ma sapnu ek malkayu

Mann ma aasha nu vahalsoyu bij ropayu

"Where do we go from here?" she asked, when she could speak again. 

"I don't know," he answered truthfully. 

They couldn't go home. They couldn't go to work. All they wanted was some comfort from this grief. And the only source of comfort right now (apart from each other) was comfort food. Twenty minutes later, they were seated side by side in a corner booth of the nearest café, eating hearty macaroni & cheese with a comforting warm bowl of soup.

"Ghar pe sab ko kya jawaab denge?" Ishita whispered between sips of her tomato soup. "Amma, Mummyji, un logon ke sawaal-"

"Unki chinta mat karo." Raman put down his spoonful of chicken soup and draped his other arm over her shoulders, holding her close. "Unke liye kisi bacche se kayi zyada tum important ho."

Ishita rested her head on his shoulder and sighed. "Mujhe maaf kar dijiye, Raman. Sab meri wajah se-"

"Shhh. Maine pehle bhi kaha hai, aur ab phir se keh raha hoon. Is sab mein tumhaari koi galti nahi hai. Mujhse maafi mat maango."

"Toh kya kahun main? We tried everything. We did everything right. And none of it worked. Humaari saari mehnat, saari ummeedein tut kar bikhar gayi."

"Ishita, humaare bas mein jitna tha, humne kiya. Lekin agar bhagwaan ki marzi nahi thi, toh hum kya kar sakte hai? Aur aisa thodi hai ki humaare bacche hi nahi hai? Adi hai, Ruhi hai... Aur hum bhi toh hai na ek dusre ke saath? Hmm?"

Ishita gulped and nodded. 

Kaalja no katko re... Mara Kaalja no katko

While the aforementioned husband and wife were dealing with heartbreak and the remnants of shattered dreams, another couple in the same café were basking in the shade of their blooming love, nurturing hope for their future.

"Tum ek baar mein itna kaise khaa lete ho, Romi? This is your fourth slice of pizza!" Sarika sighed with wonder.

"You wouldn't be saying that if you knew how much I was working at the office now," Romi said, garbled between bites.

"Tum akele insaan nahi ho jo itna kaam karta hai. I've been pulling double shifts nowadays as well, you know?"

Romi washed down his pizza with a swig of coke. "Why? I thought you liked staying home to take care of your mom."

"Yeah, but we need the extra cash for this new treatment. The grants I applied for haven't gone through yet."

"Sarika, I've already offered this before. Please let me pay-"

"And I've already said no, Romi. It's very sweet of you to offer but I can't accept it."

Romi sighed. He had known Sarika for almost a decade, but it was only in the last year that he had found out how righteous, independent, and tenacious she actually was. 

They had met for the first time during his college days. He was on a trip to Goa with his friends while she was on holiday with her cousins. Sparks flew when they met, and they fell hard and fast. They were both each other's first real relationship... their first real love. 

But their summer fling was cut short when real life beckoned. Romi's big brother was undergoing a difficult divorce and a cruel custody trial. Sarika's mother had an accident that left her paralyzed. And neither of them were old or mature enough to cement their relationship with a ring. 

They had broken up mutually, shoving the angst into a corner of their heart that neither of them could reach. Sarika couldn't reveal the pain in her heart due to the stigma of pre-marital relationships in her social circle. Romi never had the chance to share his sorrows owing to his big brother's marriage crumbling (another reason why he had so much suppressed anger towards Raman for leaving). 

But in the past year, they had reconnected. And Romi had never felt happier. He could practically hear his heart sing.

"Let me know when you're done with your pasta," Romi told his girlfriend, wiping the pizza sauce from his mouth. "Kyunki phir mujhe office waapis jaana hai. We're starting production on the French contract today."

"That's amazing, Romi!" Sarika exclaimed. "Waise... main ek baat puch sakti hoon?"

"Sure."

"Tum yeh office ka kaam enjoy karte ho?"

"Kyun achanak aisa sawaal?"

"Bas aise hi. I mean I know you followed in your brother's footsteps with the MBA and all. But I was curious if you actually enjoy it."

Romi chewed his lip in thought, startled at Sarika's perceptiveness. No one had ever asked him that. And he hadn't really thought of it himself.

"I do," he answered truthfully after a minute of thought. "There was a time when I didn't have much ambition. So Papa just made me do an MBA like Bhai did. But now... I quite enjoy it. This is my first big project though. So I'm really nervous."

"You'll do great, Romi. I believe in you..."

Romi smiled at his girlfriend's words. But in the very next minute, the blood drained from his face. 

"Kya hua, Romi? Achanak tumhara chehra kyun utar gaya?" Sarika asked. 

"Shhh!" Romi picked up a menu card and held it against the side of his head, hiding his face. "Raman bhai and Ishita bhabhi are in the booth on the other corner."

"What?!" Sarika immediately picked up her purse and hid behind it. "Ma'am aur sir yahan par?"

"We need to get out of here. Agar kisi ko bhi humaare baare mein pata chala toh bhukamp aa jaayega." 

Romi knew his family well, especially his mother. The minute she would find out about his relationship, she'd begin harping on him to get married. And neither he, nor Sarika, wanted that right now.

He opened his wallet and took out a wad of cash, leaving it on the table, before signalling to his girlfriend to secretly leave the café. They tiptoed out of the restaurant, through the back exit, and ran out at full speed, giggling at their narrow escape.

.....................................................................................................................

Bhalla House, Ishita & Raman's bedroom – the next day, Saturday, 4 pm

Raman stomped into his room, removing his wallet and keys and tossing them onto the dresser. He began untying his wristwatch, only for the strap to get caught on the metal buckle. 

"Yeh nikal kyun nahi raha?" he muttered in frustration. 

With his patience having been beaten within an inch of its life, he ripped the watch off his wrist and threw it against the wall, groaning in annoyance. The glass of the dial cracked, and he fell onto the bed in exasperation.

It had been a hellish weekend. His mom and dad had begun the day with a petty argument. Romi had gotten in a fight with Rinki over their misplaced electronics. And Adi and Ruhi had inundated him with a barrage of questions, like why they had to do math homework or why they had to drink milk every single day.

Pavan same divo dharyo che

Ishavar ene jose, Ishwar ene jose...

Truth be told, none of the above was out of the ordinary for their family. But he had been on edge since yesterday. Specifically, since the devastating news at the clinic. Since Ishita's heartwrenching breakdown. She had somehow composed herself throughout the day, but it killed him that he couldn't do more to comfort her.

Raman rested his elbows on his knees, lowered his chin, and dropped his head into his hands, sighing in defeat. It was an emotion he was well-acquainted now. And for all the worst reasons. He had convinced Ishita for the fertility treatments, for the IVF. He had assured her that it would work. He had turned her dream into his dream, and it had all broken down yesterday.

As he rubbed his eyes, suppressing the ache and agony in his heart, a warm weight settled on his knee. He opened his eyes to see that his wife had come in and was leaning against his knee. His hand traveled to her head, as he caressed her lovingly, still at a loss for words. 

Lamba raste bhula padi

Jone kasauti karse, jone kasauti karse..

"Thank you, Raman," Ishita whispered, startling him.

"Thank you kis baat ke liye?" he asked, voice husky and gruff. The love of his life had one dream, and he couldn't even fulfill that. He didn't deserve any thanks.

"Thank you... is mushkil safar mein mera itna saath dene ke liye," she said.

Ishita lifted her head and met his eyes. Raman slid off the bed and lowered himself onto the floor, sitting beside his wife. Ishita snaked her hand around his arm and caressed him comfortingly. He had been her rock and her sounding board throughout this journey, but that meant he had hid his own sorrow to be her strength. Now it was time for her to be his strength.

"Raman, apne aap ko itna mat kosiye please," she pleaded. "Shaayad humaare naseeb mein kabhi baby tha hi nahi."

"Yeh tum keh rahi ho?" he asked, recalling her breakdown from the previous day. 

Ishita nodded. "Aap hi ne kaha tha na, we've done everything we possibly could. Lekin jo cheez kismat mein hai hi nahi uske peeche kyun rona? We have each other. And we have Adi and Ruhi. We'll be fine."

Raman inhaled a shaky breath and took her hand in his. "You're right. Jab tak tum mere saath ho, mujhe aur kuch nahi chahiye. But still... I'm sorry it didn't work."

"I'm sorry too," Ishita sighed. 

Je thase e saru thase mann shane tu dankhe..

Mali jashe fali jashe jivla tu je jankhe...

They sat together like that, holding each other through the grief, until Ishita heard her kids calling her. 

"Mumma!"

"Ishimaa!"

She lifted her head from Raman's shoulder and cleared her throat. "Bacchon ko niche ke park mein khelne jaana hai. Aap aayenge humaare saath?" she asked him.

Raman shook his head in the negative. "Nahi, tum jao. Main kuch waqt akela rehna chahta hoon."

Ishita palmed his cheek and made her husband look at her. He needed some time alone – she could see that – but she didn't want to see him wallow in the grief for longer than necessary. 

"Thik hai," she agreed. "Par zyada der akela nahi rehna, samjhe?"

Raman nodded at her and his eyes softened. Ishita gave him a soft kiss before leaving the room. As Ishita's retreating figure disappeared out of the room, Raman breathed in and out. The sharp, shooting pain in his heart had dampened to a dull throb, enough for him to know they would eventually get over it. 

He stood up and picked up his watch that lay against the wall, rubbing the pad of his thumb over the cracked glass dial. He tossed it onto the dresser and walked out onto his bedroom's balcony into the cool fresh air. 

Minutes later, the merry voices of his kids wafted up to the second story from the park underneath. He vision focused on the trio in the park, and his heart warmed up despite the needles of pain shooting through it. 

Adi climbed up the ladder and slid down the slide, almost falling onto the gravel from the speed. Ishita was at the foot of the slide in the next instant, grabbing onto her son and surveying him for injuries, even as Adi brushed his knees off and climbed up the ladder again. 

With one last glance at her son, Ishita walked over to her daughter, who was struggling to push herself on the swings. Naturally, she came up behind Ruhi and pushed her on the swing, until the little girl giggled with delight. 

And in that moment, for the first time in over 24 hours, Raman saw his wife flash a smile that truly reached her eyes. In the end, she was right. They had each other. And they had Ruhi & Adi. In the grand scheme of things, they would most definitely be fine.

Suni par o, Shant jarukhaa, Gumsum gumsum sapna,

Gumshum gumsum sapna,

Dukh ni sathe mare kitta, Sukh che mare khap na,

Sukh che mare khap na,

Ferfudardi ne sakaldi adko dadko

Laad kari ne ramade che mitho re tadko

Kaalja no katko re... Tara Kaalja no katko

Kaalja no katko re... Tara Kaalja no katko

https://youtu.be/XUmD0OkBpqs

*** (The song above is from a Gujarati movie called Carry On Kesar that follows the story of an elderly rural couple who tries IVF to have a baby after years of trouble conceiving. It is a beautiful song that conveys the emotions that both parents go through in such a journey. It is a beautiful song, even if you don't understand Gujarati.) ***

.....................................................................................................................

FOUR MONTHS LATER

Batra Medical Center, Break Room – Thursday, 15 April, 2 pm

"Sarika, Mr. Goyal didn't show up this week either. This is his second yearly checkup that he's missed. Is everything okay with him?" Ishita asked, approaching the reception.

"Ma'am, I just received his email this morning. He moved to Mumbai last year but forgot to cancel his yearly appointments with us," Sarika answered.

"Okay, that makes a lot more sense." 

Ishita glanced at her wristwatch. She was on-call for another hour but with her last appointment being a no-show, she had no more patients to attend. She turned to leave, but a light bulb went off in her head at the last minute. 

"By the way Sarika," Ishita turned back around to her secretary. "What happened with those grants you applied for? Did you get the money you needed?"

"Yes and no," Sarika replied. "I got approved for half the grant, but not the rest."

"Oh... I'm sorry, I thought-"

"Don't be sorry ma'am. The rest of the money came through someone's anonymous donation. I have no idea who it was but I'm so thankful to that angel either way. The payment came through yesterday, right on the last day it was due. Like a miracle!"

"That's great to hear," Ishita smiled. "How's your mother doing with the treatment?"

"She's started moving on her own, but she's still a while away from walking around and working independently. But the good thing is..."

Sarika went on about her mother's recovery, but Ishita couldn't focus anymore. Her vision blurred. Her balance went askew. And a wave of lightheadedness washed over her. Sarika calling out her name was the last thing she heard before she blacked out into oblivion. 

Meanwhile @ Raman's Office

"Sir, there is some confusion in the accounts here."

Raman looked up at his accountant across his desk. Account spreadsheets and company bank statements were stacked across the table, as the boss and his accountant went over their accounts.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"We're missing over five lakh rupees," the accountant revealed, turning around his calculations and showing his boss. 

"How could we be missing such a huge amount?" Raman asked, brows furrowed in confusion. 

The accountant shrugged. "Wait look. The last transaction happened yesterday. Wherever that money went, it wasn't long ago."

Realization dawned in Raman's eyes. There was only person who was working on the accounts yesterday. Immediately, he picked up his landline and called his secretary. 

"Send Romi in here. Now!" he yelled, barely masking his anger.

Romi was in his office in the next minute. "Bhai? Aapne mujhe bulaya?" he asked.

"There was a five lakh rupee transaction yesterday. On the same day you were working in the accounts department." Raman raised his eyes at his brother and glared harshly. "Care to explain?"

Romi took a deep breath and walked in. This was it. 

"Yes, I can explain." He sat down across his brother and interlaced his fingers. "I took that money for a personal issue. To help a... friend."

"And you didn't think of asking me first? Your brother and your boss?!"

"Sorry bhai, yesterday was the last day the payment was due. So I didn't have time to ask you."

"Then why am I finding out about this from the accountant and not from you?"

"Because I was working on this."

Romi took out his phone and opened a spreadsheet from his email feed. He turned the screen towards his brother.

"I've come up with a system so I can pay the company back. If you combine my share of the profits from the next contract, plus regular cuts from my salary, then we can make up the loss," he explained.

Raman's nostrils flared in anger, but he breathed through it. Technically, Romi did have a right to the money. But the way he had gone about taking it, without talking to anyone else, came up too close to stealing. And Raman wasn't comfortable with it. Even though his intentions were genuine. Even though he showed no entitlement to said money. 

"Bhai," Romi interrupted his brother's thoughts. "Please trust me. I'm not using the money for anything wrong. In fact, it's not even for myself. And I will pay it back."

But Raman had no more time to dwell on the issue. For he got a phone call the next minute that shook the ground beneath his feet.

Urgent Care Clinic, Batra Medical Center – Forty minutes later

"Ishita? Ishita, tum theek ho?"

Raman's voice made it through the haziness and Ishita fluttered her eyes open. Her husband's handsome face materialized in front of her, and she straightened up on the bed, supported by him. 

"What happened? Main yahan kaise...?" she stammered.

"Sarika ka phone aaya tha. Tum apne clinic mein behosh ho gayi thi," Raman revealed. "They wheeled you here to the urgent care center for a checkup."

Raman turned to the side table, picked up a glass of water, and handed it to his wife, prompting her to drink. He placed the glass back when she was done, peering at her with eyes full of concern. He had been worried about her health ever since they started the fertility treatments. Once they had stopped all efforts four months ago, he had assumed she was fine. Clearly, he was wrong.

"Ishita, kya ho gaya tumhe?" he asked in a rough voice. "Tum apna khayal nahi rakhti kya?"

"Mujhe kya ho sakta hai, Raman?" she replied. "Mujhe khud nahi pata ki main behosh kyun hui thi."

The curtain surrounding her bed slid open and a doctor appeared in answer to their questions.

"Hi Dr. Bhalla, how are you feeling?" she asked. 

"I'm fine really," Ishita answered. "Just a bit lightheaded."

"Doc, why did she faint?" Raman asked. "I don't understand what's happening."

"Well, we did some preliminary bloodwork to rule out any major ailments like anemia and such. But turns out, the bloodwork did reveal something."

"What?!"

The doctor smiled. "You're pregnant, Dr. Bhalla."

Ishita's jaw dropped. Raman's eyes widened. They had given up all hope four months ago. How could this be happening?

"No." Ishita shook her head vigorously. "I don't believe you. There has to be some mistake."

The doctor scrunched up her eyebrows in confusion. 

"We had a positive pregnancy test in January," Raman explained. "But it turned out to be a false positive. Something called a chemical pregnancy."

And that's when realization dawned in the doctor's eyes. Once bitten, twice shy.

"Believe me Dr. Bhalla," she insisted. "The bloodwork doesn't lie."

Ishita continued to shake her head. She didn't believe it. And Raman had no answer. His heart was stuck in his throat. 

"Okay, I have an idea. Hold on."

The doctor left their cubicle and came back with a doppler ultrasound. She squirted a blob of cool, blue gel on Ishita's tummy and brought down her scanning probe. The sonogram appeared on the ultrasound monitor, and the doctor turned the screen towards them. Raman threaded his fingers through Ishita's, who gripped his hand tightly.

"Look here." The doctor pointed at the grainy screen. "This black area is your uterus. And you see this little gray blob? That's your baby. You're eight weeks pregnant, Dr. Bhalla."

Ishita gazed at the screen in absolute wonder and disbelief. Her grip on her husband's hand tightened, while the other hand went over her stomach. Her baby. Her baby was really in there. 

Raman gulped. His mouth opened in pleasant shock, but no words fell out. After everything they had been through, it seemed impossible that their dreams had actually come true. 

"Would you like to listen to the heartbeat?" the doctor asked. 

"He... She... I mean... The baby already has... a heartbeat?" Raman stammered.

"Yes, the heart begins developing as early as five weeks. Would you like to listen?"

Ishita nodded, as if still in a trance. The doctor flipped a switch and turned on the sound. 

Swish... Swoosh... Swish... Swoosh... Swish... Swoosh...

Her baby's heartbeat sounded in Ishita's ears. The tiny blob on the screen moved and she almost cried out from delight. And then her trance broke. This was real. This was happening. She. Was. Pregnant. 

"Raman! Dekho! Look at that!" she sniffed, tears of happiness leaking out of her eyes. "Humara baby... Our baby..." she murmured in bewilderment.

"I can't... I don't believe this," Raman whispered. "Our baby madrasan... Humara chotu..."

The tears he had held in now freely spilled over, as he sat down beside his wife and engulfed her in his arms. He rained kisses all over her face, as she snaked her hands up his back and threaded her fingers through his hair, sniffling into his chest. But for the first time in almost a year and a half, her tears were that of sheer unbridled joy. 

Raman wiped her tears with trembling fingers, before lowering his hand onto her lower belly, still growing used to the idea that his baby was in there. The symbol of their love had come into existence and was growing in his wife's womb. 

Ishita covered his hand with her own and held it close. She tapped his forehead with hers and smiled so widely her cheeks hurt. As adorable as she looked, Raman kissed her on the cheeks, before capturing her lips in a searing kiss. Their hearts hammered and souls sung, as a dream of one and a half years finally came true.

Divyalingaraju thumbnail

A very nice update please update next part soon to know the families reaction especially Adiru about this news

nafnaf thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 3

A masterpiece writing! Amazing! Fantastic! Superb!

So emotional, so much pain and heartache - all finally paid off!❤️❤️🤗🤗

The song was beautiful - I speak Gujarati so understood most of it!!⭐️

It was nice to see Romi and Sarika's relationship progressing. I hope Raman does not get angry with him, however just discuss the right way of doing this.

I'm very greedy now and so waiting for the next update soon please - cannot wait for some happiness to come into Ishra's life now please!!!

nafnaf thumbnail

So sorry I clicked on the wrong reply button - please see below my reply in case you do not see the one I did on "Divyalingaraju's" post!

A masterpiece writing! Amazing! Fantastic! Superb!

So emotional, so much pain and heartache - all finally paid off!smiley27smiley27smiley31smiley31smiley41smiley41

The song was beautiful - I speak Gujarati so understood most of it!!smiley10

It was nice to see Romi and Sarika's relationship progressing. I hope Raman does not get angry with him, however just discuss the right way of doing this.

I'm very greedy now and so waiting for the next update soon please - cannot wait for some happiness to come into Ishra's life now please!!!

nafnaf thumbnail

So sorry I posted this on the wrong post!😳🤗

Ishra2015 thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

A beautiful update 

Ishita raman has lost their hope but nowgot the beautiful gift

Romi become the angel for sarika and donated money for her mothers treatment 

Waiting to watch the pampering of ishita 

Do update soon

Waiting eagerly for the update

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 69

9 WEEKS PREGNANT

Raman's car somewhere on the roads of Delhi – Wednesday, April 21, 10 am

"Ishita, are you even listening to me?" 

Raman weaved his car in and out of traffic, glancing at his wife in the passenger seat. But her attention was focused on the scans in her folder.

"Huh...?" Ishita shook her head to the present. "Aap kuch keh rahe the?"

"How long are you going to stare at the sonogram?" Raman chuckled. 

Ishita colored up and averted her eyes. She picked up the sonogram again, and her watery, wondrous gaze focused on her baby again. 

They had just been to their first gynaecology appointment. Her doctor – Dr. Asha Patel – had been happy to report that her pregnancy was progressing normally and that all was well. Right now, their baby was the size of a green olive, with a strong heartbeat, sprouting tiny arms and legs. And all Ishita could do was soak it in. 

Raman looked over at his wife and smiled for the hundreth time. He threaded his free hand through her fingers and kissed the back of her hand. 

"Madrasan, do minute ke liye chutku ko chod ke chutku ke papa ki bhi sun lo?" he whispered. 

Ishita sniffed and wiped the emotion from her eyes before turning her attention to her husband. 

"Sorry, sorry..." She closed the file and put away her sonogram. "Mujhe abhi bhi yakeen nahi ho raha hai..."

"I get it, my love." He kissed the back of her hand again, holding it close to his chest. "But we need to talk about some logistics here."

"Yes of course. Boliye. I'm listening."

Raman stopped the car at a red light before making a turn.

"Dekh madrasan, now that you're pregnant, you need to think about yourself first, okay? Tumhara kaam, ghar ki zimmedariyaan, bacchon ki parvarish... Sab ke piche piche bhaagte the apne aap ko mat bhul jaana."

Ishita nodded. 

"Now," Raman continued, "I think it's time for you to think about when you're going to stop working. I know how much you love your job lekin is pregnancy ko lekar hum koi risk nahi le sakte." He kissed the back of her hand again.

"I know Raman." Ishita's free hand went over her belly. She had a life growing inside her. There was no scope for error. "I'm thinking of putting in a request for light duty at the clinic today. And I'll talk with Dr. Batra about going on medical leave as well."

"That brings me to my next question. When do you want to tell people?"

Ishita took a deep breath. "Let's wait for another month. Just until the end of the first trimester."

"Okay, sounds good." He kissed her hand again. 

"Bas karo Raman," she giggled shyly. "Public mein hai hum!" 

"Ab main kya karu? I just can't help myself. You look even more beautiful pregnant."

Ishita wrenched her hand free and hid behind her palm. "Kuch bhi," she whispered. "Chup chaap mujhe clinic drop kar dijiye."

Her husband maneuvered the car into the parking lot of the Batra Medical Center and parked. Ishita opened the door to step out but was pulled back by the arm.

"Ishita, I'm dropping you off today, but promise me you'll take care of yourself. And no extra work. Okay?" Raman clutched her hand and peered at her with all the love in the world.

Ishita smiled and nodded understandingly. "I promise. I'll even put in for medical leave and light duty immediately. Don't worry."

Raman kissed her hand one last time before letting her go. He watched her disappear into the building before switching the gear from park to drive and heading to his office. There was so much to do now that he had another baby on the way. He parked his car in the parking lot and ran a palm down his face to hide the euphoria coursing through his veins. With one last deep breath, he left the car and headed to his office.

"What's on the schedule today?" Raman asked his secretary as he walked briskly to his office.

His secretary jogged behind him to follow him, reciting his schedule as they went. "There's a staff meeting before lunch today with all the team leaders. You have a zoom call with the London party at two and..."

Raman noted down the line of meetings he had in the day before dismissing his secretary. With one last task. 

"And send Romi to my office."

"Okay sir."

A knock sounded on his office door five minutes later. The door squeaked open and Romi peeked his head in.

"Bhai, aapne mujhe bulaya?"

Raman gestured for him to come in and take a seat. 

"I want to talk to you about the money you took last week," he began, when Romi was seated. 

Romi sucked in a harsh breath. "Okay bhai."

Raman interlaced his fingers. "Dekh beta, I'm still not comfortable with the fact that you took such a big amount without telling anybody. It borders on stealing."

"I'm sorry bhai, but I didn't have a choice. It was the last day-"

"I'm not done talking." Raman put up his hand to silence his brother. "I understand why you did it. But I still wish you would've come to me first."

Romi gulped and averted his eyes in shame.

"I'll let it pass for the first and last time... on two conditions," Raman continued. "First, you never hide anything of the sort from me or Mihir again. We may be family, but professionalism comes first at the office, understood?"

Romi nodded.

"And secondly, you will make up the losses as you promised. And on top of that, you will be the head of the French project. I'm going to take on the new London project, and Mihir will be in charge of the local domestic contracts. This is your chance to prove yourself. If you ever want to be the boss of this company one day, then you need become responsible. Got it?"

"Yes bhai."

"Good. You can go now."

Romi exhaled a shaky breath before escaping his brother's office. This would be his first time spearheading a major project. And he wasn't going to let him down.

Bhalla House – the next day, 8 am

"Ek aur paratha doon mummyji?" Neelu asked, bringing a plate of fresh hot parathas to Toshi at the dining table.

"Haan haan, de mainu. Aur Bhalla ji ko bhi de."

Neelu dropped a hot paratha on Toshi's plate and another one on Omprakash's plate before returning to the stove. 

"Baki sab log kitthe hai Toshi ji?" Omprakash asked, between bites of paratha. "Naashta nahin karna kisi ko?"

As if on cue, Ruhi and Adi ran out in their school uniform. 

"Aaja mera bhachungda," Toshi said to her grandchildren, laying their plates. "Neelu, bacchon ke liye parathe bana. Aur doodh bhi."

"Nahi Dadi." Adi shook his head. "I'll have toast and orange juice."

"Dadi, Ishimaa kahan hai?" Ruhi asked, noting her mother's absence at the breakfast table. "Woh kehti hai breakfast ke saath fruits bhi khaana chahiye. Aur mujhe strawberry milk chahiye. Chocolate milk nahi."

"Teri maa aa jaayengi puttar. Tum log naashta shuru karo."

Meanwhile, Raman guided Ishita out of their bedroom and brought her to the breakfast table. Ruhi had begun munching on a paratha, while Adi poured himself a glass of orange juice. 

"Adi, main tumhare liye toast bana du?" Ishita asked. "And let me slice an apple for you Ru."

But before she could proceed, Raman interjected and sat her down on the table. "Woh sab main kar dunga. Tum baitho aur naashta shuru karo. Neelu, bhabhi ko paratha de!"

While Raman got Adi a couple pieces of whole wheat toast with peanut butter, Ishita cut up an apple for Ruhi and slid the plate of fruit to her. Neelu placed a hot paratha in front of Ishita before rolling a fresh one for Raman at Toshi's behest.

"Raman, tu bhi baith ja naashta karne puttar."

But as Raman pulled out a chair for himself, a sudden wave of nausea swept over Ishita and her face screwed up in discomfort.

"What's wrong, Ishita?" he asked, growing worried all of a sudden. "Kya hua tumhe?"

"Ki hoya puttar?"

"Ishimaa, are you okay?"

Before she could answer, Ishita shot up out of her chair and bolted off to the bathroom. Raman was right behind her, at his wife's heels. He found her in the bathroom, hunched over the toilet, and his heart lurched. 

"Ishita..." Raman rubbed her back as she emptied the contents of her stomach. 

"Tum theek ho madrasan?" He asked her, once she had washed up and could speak again. 

"I'm okay, Raman," she assured him. "Pregnancy ke shuruaat mein aisa hota hai. Doctor ne bhi kaha tha na kal?"

"I know, I know... Phir bhi..." He swiped away some of her loose tendrils of hair framing her face. "I just get worried."

"I'm fine. Mujhe bas paratho ke smell se kuch ajeeb lag raha tha. Woh butter aur ghee ke smell ke kaaran mujhe ulti aa gayi."

"I see..."

He guided her out of the bathroom and brought her back to the table where four worried faces awaited them.

"Achanak kya hogaya Ishita puttar?" Omprakash asked.

"Teri tabiyat to theek hai?" Toshi inquired.

"Aap bimar ho Ishimaa?" Adi questioned.

"Main bilkul theek hoon," Ishita assured them, as Raman pulled out a chair for her. "Shaayad kuch ulta-seedha kha liya hoga kal."

Immediately, Raman swiped the plate of parathas from underneath her nose so as not to set off her aversion again. 

"Ishita, tum kya khaaogi?" Raman asked her.

"I'll just have some cornflakes and milk," she replied.

While Adi & Ruhi finished up their breakfast, Raman served Ishita a bowl of cornflakes and milk. Both Toshi and Omprakash gave each other curious looks at his changed demeanor. 

"Tujhe kya ho gaya, Raman? Ishita ke aage piche kyun ghum raha hai?" Toshi asked. "Woh khaa legi apne aap."

Raman had no believable answer. "Bas aise hi maa..." 

Before his mother could ambush him with any more questions, Raman stuffed a bite of paratha into his mouth and chewed. 

"I'm done with breakfast," Adi announced ten minutes later.

"Me too," Ruhi said. "Mumma, aap humein school chod doge?"

"Beta, aaj papa aap dono ko school drop kar denge," Raman interjected. 

Adi and Ruhi exchanged quizzical glances.

"But Ishimaa's clinic is closer to our school. She always drops us on days she's working," Adi wondered aloud.

"Beta, I'm not going to the clinic today. I'm working from home for a while."

Ishita had talked with her superior yesterday, and although she hadn't revealed that she was pregnant, Dr. Batra had understood she was going through some personal life changes and had approved her for light duty. She was responsible for paperwork, research, and virtual telemedicine appointments, all of which could be performed from home. 

Adi, Ruhi, Toshi, and Omprakash were all taken aback. Ishita hadn't worked from home in over 18 months.

"Sab theek to hai na, puttar ji?" Omprakash asked. "Pehle aap ko vomiting ho gayi, ab work from home. Kahin koi tension-"

"Kuch nahi papa," Raman interrupted his father. "Aapki pehelwaan bahu ko kya hoga? Woh to kisi patient ne case kar diya hoga, toh ab madam ka practice yahin se hoga, ghar se."

"Kuch bhi, Raman..."

Laughs erupted all over the table (including Ishita), as Raman ushered his children outside to drop them at school. Omprakash brushed his questions off, but a tiny smile crept up Toshi's lips. 

12 WEEKS PREGNANT

Bhalla House – Saturday, 15 May, 12 pm

"And that's another victory for us!" Vishwa declared as he high-fived Ruhi. 

Adi groaned, Shravu slammed his fists, and Bala slapped his forehead, as they lost another monopoly game. Ruhi had been smart in partnering with her Tata. After all, he always the one to win these games.

"Ab mujhe khelna hi nahi hai!" Shravu whined. "Adi bhaiya, let's go inside."

"You know what? Yeah, let's go!" Adi agreed. "We'll play video games. And Ruhi isn't invited."

He stuck his tongue out at his sister before running to his room with his cousin. Offended at the act, Ruhi shot up from the couch and ran behind them.

"Shravu! Adi bhaiya! I want to play too!" she squealed.

The adults chuckled at the kids' antics, as they cleared the living room table for a chess match. It was a chaotic but playful weekend, as the Bhalla-Iyer clan had gathered for a lazy afternoon, ranging from board games and snacks to gossip sessions and chats. 

In the midst of the hubbub, Raman met Ishita's eyes... and he nodded. It was time. 

"Miku, Akka," Ishita interrupted her sisters' chit-chat to get their attention.

"Amma! Mummy!" Raman beckoned his mother and mother-in-law in from the balcony. "Come in here for a minute please. Can we have everyone's attention please?"

The commotion died down as everyone's attention focused on Raman and Ishita, who stood up and faced their family.

"We have some very exciting news..." Raman placed his hand on Ishita's lower back, grinning until his cheeks hurt. 

Crimsom color rose up Ishita's face as she smiled shyly. "I um... We are..."

"What is going on you guys?" Mihika asked. 

"Chal kya raha hai tum dono ka? Seedhe seedhe bolo jo bolna hai," Vandu said.

Raman bumped his shoulder into a blushing Ishita. "Bol madrasan," he whispered.

"Aap bolo na," she nudged him.

"Tum dono mein se koi ek toh bolo!" Bala yelled, teethering on the edge of his patience.

"We're having a baby!" Raman blurted out in the next moment.

Bala's jaw dropped. Vandu gasped. Mihika slapped her hand onto her mouth. Rinki's eyes popped out of her skull. Romi's mouth formed an 'o' in surprise. Mihir's spine snapped straight. And then, exhiliration erupted as congratulations ensued.

"Congratulations akka!" Mihika hugged her sister followed by Vandu.

"Congrats Ishu! I'm so happy for you!"

"Many many congratulations Raman!" Bala hugged him and patted his back.

"Congrats Bhai! Congrats Bhabhi!" Mihir, Romi, and Rinki hugged both of them one by one. 

Moments later, Toshi, Omprakash, and Vishwa walked up, faces lit up in joy.

"Kitni pyaari khushkhabri sunaai hai, puttar!" Omprakash exclaimed, blessing Ishita affectionately. "Dil khush kar diya aap ne!"

"Haay mere hanso ka joda!" Toshi hugged her son and daughter-in-law, barely hiding her euphoria. "Matarani ki kitni waddi kripa hoyi hai! Tum dono ko kisi ki nazar na lage!"

"Ishu, many many congratulations to you dear!" Vishwa hugged his daughter before hugging his son-in-law and the rest of the family. 

It wasn't until the joyous crowd around Ishita thinned that she realized her mother hadn't come up to wish her yet. Her eyes fell on Madhu standing by the couch, utterly shocked, with tears streaming down her cheeks. 

"Amma..." Ishita walked up to her mother and wiped the tears off her cheeks, only for them to get wet again. "Kya hua, amma?"

It was in that moment that Madhu finally processed the news that had transpired. The one bane of her daughter's life had been eradicated. Her prayers had finally been answered. Murugan had finally blessed her girl. And she was absolutely over the moon.

"Ishu... I'm so happy," she whispered, caressing her daughter's cheeks as bliss leaked out her eyes in the form of tears. "Congratulations kanna!"

Madhu embraced her daughter, sending her thanks to the gods above, as the rest of the family exchanged hugs and pleasantries, basking in the newest joy.

Hours later, Raman and Ishita broke the news to the last two members of their family who hadn't found out yet. 

Raman brought Adi and Ruhi into their bedroom where Ishita waited for her children, snacking on a bowl of nuts.

"Adi, Ruhi, baitho bacche." She beckoned the kids forward and set aside her bowl. "Papa aur mujhe aap se kuch zaroori baat karni hai."

Adi and Ruhi sat down on either side their mother, peering at her curiously. 

"We have some good news," Ishita began. "Ishimaa aur papa ko baby hone wala hai. Aap dono ko ek baby brother ya baby sister milne waala hai."

Ruhi's eyes popped out of her head. "Matlab... jaise Shravu ko baby hai waise?" 

Ishita nodded. 

"Matlab main badi sister banungi?"

Ishita nodded.

A wide grin brightened up the little girl's face. She wrapped her arms around her mother, excitement and glee inflating her chest. 

Meanwhile, Raman glanced at his son. His face was frozen in shock. 

"Adi? Beta?" Raman nudged his son's shoulder. "Are you okay?"

Ishita turned to her son, even as she held Ruhi to her chest, gazing at him curiously. Adi found himself at the center of attention and gulped. He blinked his hesitation away and smiled. 

"Congratulations Ishimaa!" the boy exclaimed, bringing his arms around his mother and hugging her close. "That's very exciting!"

"Lekin ek baat kabhi nahi bhulna." Ishita pulled back for a second and addressed her children. "Ishimaa aur papa ke liye aap dono bhi humesha utne hi important rahoge jitne humesha the. Aap humaare first babies ho. Okay?"

While Ruhi nodded contentedly, Adi smiled tenuously. The tightness in his chest eased up to make room for genuine excitement and joy. Ishita held her children close and Raman gazed at the trio fondly, knowing for a fact that his madrasan would never differentiate between the babies of her heart and womb.

16 WEEKS PREGNANT

Bhalla House, Raman & Ishita's bedroom – 17 June, 2 am

"Raman..."

No answer.

"Raman..."

"Hmph."

"Raman, wake up."

Ishita turned over in the bed and poked her husband. Repeatedly.

"Raman!"

"Huh?" Raman's eyes fluttered open and he stirred awake. "What...?"

"Raman, it's me. Wake up."

His wife's voice seeped through the cobwebs of sleep and his eyes shot open. "What? Ishita? Kya hua? You okay? What happened? Is it time? Do we have to go to the hospital?"

Raman scrambled awake and threw his blanket off. "Come on! Let's go!" 

"What? No! I'm barely in the second trimester!" Ishita whisper-shouted. "Just listen-"

Before Ishita could finish her sentence, a loud thud stopped her short. For her husband had rolled off the bed in a hurry, causing him to fall down and bonk his head on the floor.

"Oh my god! Are you okay?" Ishita crawled over and helped Raman back onto the bed, as he rubbed the back of his head.

"I'm fine. Are you okay?" Raman asked her.

"I'm... I'm hungry," she pouted. 

Raman's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "What?"

"Haan... Mujhe... Mujhe strawberries khaane ka man kar raha hai."

"Strawberries? Is waqt? Raat ke do baje?"

Ishita nodded.

"Madrasan, strawberries ka season toh gaya. Ab is waqt aur is mausam mein strawberries kaha se lau?"

As soon as he uttered those words, he regretted them. For tears pooled in his adorable wife's eyes and her lower lip began trembling. 

"Okay okay okay..." Raman scrambled off the bed and grabbed his wallet, phone, and keys. "Tum ro mat. I'll get you some strawberries, okay? I'll find them somewhere. I'll be back. Tum bas please rona mat," he pleaded. 

Ishita nodded and snuggled under the covers, as Raman darted outside. No shops or grocery stores would be open at this hour. And even if they were, he didn't know whether they would even have strawberries. Their harvest season had already passed. 

And then an idea sparked in his head. There was only one other man who had any experience dealing with a pregnant Iyer woman. He paced back and forth in the corridor, as he called his brother-in-law. Unfortunately, Bala didn't pick up. So he called him again. And again. And again. And again.

"Yaar, yeh banda so raha hai ki mar gaya hai?" Raman muttered to himself, pulling up his text chain with Bala.

Raman: Bala

Raman: Wake up!

Raman: I need your help right now

Raman: WAKE UP!!!!

Raman: B

Raman: A

Raman: L

Raman: A

Raman: Wake. Up!!!!! 😫😤😡🤬

But Bala didn't answer. Groaning in frustration, Raman headed downstairs to the parking lot. He had to find strawberries somewhere. Fortunately for him, his phone chimed with a reply as he was getting into his car.

Bala: What. The. Hell. 

Bala: Fourteen notifications?!?!?! 

Bala: FOURTEEN?! 😠😱😳

Bala: My phone literally vibrated itself off the table, Raman!! It almost woke up Vandu!

Bala: What kind of a lunatic sends someone 14 notifications at 2 am??

Raman rolled his eyes as he typed a reply. 

Raman: The kind that's married to Ishita Iyer Bhalla. 

Raman: She's craving strawberries right now. And I don't know where to get them from. Help me!!

Bala: Ohhhhhh

Bala: This is hilarious

Bala: 😂😂🤣🤣

Raman: You can laugh at me later. I'm in a crisis right now. 

Raman: I helped you when Vandu was pregnant, remember? Now it's your turn. 

Bala: I'll send you the location of an overnight convenience store. They might have some. 

Bala: And technically, it was Mihir who helped me. Not you.

Raman: Fair enough...

Raman: But seriously, thank you so much 🙏🏼

Bala: I'll send the location on one condition

Raman: What is that?

Bala: You never – EVER – text me or call me at 2 am. 

Raman: No promises. 

Bala: 🙄🙄🙄

Despite his brother-in-law's vexation, Bala did send Raman the location of an overnight store. Raman sped his car to said store and ran inside, only to find that they didn't sell any strawberries. 

"Strawberries ka season to chala gaya saab," the store clerk had said. "Ab seedha October mein milega."

Thankfully, Raman had then found a late-night café/bakery and pleaded them to sell him a box of berries. It was highly unorthodox, but the barista had agreed seeing his predicament. And so Mr. Bhalla came home twenty minutes later with a box of assorted berries. 

"Yeh le madrasan." Raman handed his pregnant wife the box, sitting down beside her. "I got you your strawberries."

"Oh my god..." Gratitude pooled in Ishita's eyes as she gingerly picked up the box of berries. "And you got me raspberries and blueberries and blackberries too. You're so sweet, Raman. I don't deserve you," she sniffed.

Her lip trembled and tears leaked from her eyes, and Raman could barely contain his laughter. These pregnancy hormones were something else.

"Here, have some." Raman wiped her tears and fed her a strawberry. Ishita was newly reminded of her craving, and in the next ten minutes, she had gobbled up all the berries in the box.

Raman couldn't stop looking at her, love emanating from his eyes. Her skin was positively radiant and shining, as the iconic pregnancy glow enveloped her. 

"That was amazing," Ishita moaned, placing the empty box on the side table. "Thank you so much, Raman."

"Isme thank you kehne ki kya baat hai? I like pampering you-"

His sentence was cut short when his wife threw herself into his arms, kissing him senseless.

"What's happening?" he managed to stutter between kisses.

"What do you think is happening?" she chuckled, nuzzling his neck. 

Raman laughed, having realized the change in the course of events, and flipped them over and took charge. These pregnancy hormones were really something else.

18 WEEKS PREGNANT

Metro City Mall – Monday, 28 June, 3 pm

"How does this look, Simi?" Ishita walked out of the dressing room in a maroon ankle-length floral dress. 

"Oh wow, yeh dress tere pe bahot changa lag raha hai. Bhai toh ekdum flat ho jaane wale hai!" Simi giggled. 

"Kya Simi!" Ishita gasped. "Kuch bhi... There are kids around here."

Speaking of whom, Ruhi and Ananya ran over with another dress for Ishita to try. 

"Look at this Mumma!" Ruhi exclaimed, adding a midnight blue sundress to the pile. "It has stars all over it."

"Maami, you look so pretty," Ananya gasped with wonder. "Pretty flowers."

"Thank you bacche," Ishita replied to her niece. "Aur Ruhi, aap itne zyada dresses mat lao. Hum pura maal nahi kharid sakte."

Ishita shook her head with mirth, as she disappeared into the dressing room with another dress to try. She was almost halfway through her pregnancy, which meant she had started getting bigger. Her blouses no longer fit, and her baby bump had started showing. And so, Simi had taken her out for a shopping session to buy a closet full of maternity wear. It was the middle of summer vacation and almost everyone was at work, so they had made it a ladies' day out with their daughters. Meanwhile, Adi was spending the day with Shravu at their grandparents' house, as he was absolutely uninterested in participating in a women's shopping spree.

Ishita gave one last glance to the floral dress and twirled in front of the mirror. Simi was right. Raman was going to go crazy over her tonight. But not because of the dress. Their love life had been transformed to a whole new level in the past few weeks. Maybe it was her pregnancy hormones. Maybe it was the quintessential pregnancy glow. Or maybe it was the fact that they had gone through so much and had still emerged victorious, their relationship stronger than ever. 

Flutters erupted inside her at the thought. They were three years into their marriage. She was pregnant with her husband's baby. And even after so much, she marveled how just the thought of Raman caused her to have butterflies in her stomach. Her hand traveled to her baby bump on its own accord (something she found herself doing very frequently nowadays) and caressed her unborn baby. The flutters erupted anew.

Ishita changed into a new sea green floor-length dress and hung the previous maroon dress on a hanger. And she felt the flutter in her belly again. That's when the blood drained from her face. It wasn't butterflies. Or nerves. There was something wrong. There was something wrong with baby. 

"Simi! Simi!" she called out in a panic. 

"Kya ho gaya? Kya hua Ishita?"

Simi ran into the dressing room to find her sister-in-law panicking.

"Tu kyun chilla rahi hai? Kuch hua kya?" she asked.

"We need to go. We need to leave right now. I need to see a doctor!" Ishita rambled on. 

"Par kyun? Hua kya, yeh to bata?"

"There's something wrong, Simi. There's something wrong with the baby. I feel this weird sensation, some kind of flutter..."

"Ek minute, mujhe dekhne de..."

Simi lowered her hand onto Ishita's belly. Moments later, she felt another flutter. 

"Did you feel that?" Ishita asked. 

Simi sighed with relief and shook her head. "Ishita, nothing is wrong with your baby," she whispered. "Everything is fine. Good, even."

"What do you mean?"

"Ishita, your baby is just moving around in there. Tera paanchva mahina chal raha hai na?"

Ishita nodded.

"Then this is completely normal. Your baby is just moving around."

Realization, wonder, and gratitude churned in Ishita's eyes, as she breathed a deep sigh of relief. It was a feeling unlike any other. The feeling of her baby moving around in her body, flutters and sensation abound.

That evening, the first person she shared that incredible sensation with was her husband. 

"Raman, I want to show you something," she said from the couch of her bedroom.

"Other than the 15 dresses you bought today?" he asked sarcastically. 

"Yes, come here."

Ishita beckoned him forward and guided him to kneel in front of her. She took his hand and gingerly placed it on her baby bump. 

"What's going on? Tum kya-"

"Shhh. Just wait for a minute," Ishita urged.

A minute later, he felt it and gasped. A flutter swiping against the skin of her tummy. 

"What was that?" he whispered in shock.

"Our baby is moving around," she whispered back.

"Wow... This is an amazing feeling."

"It really is." A sheen of emotion appeared in front of her eyes. 

"But Ishita," Concern clouded Raman's eyes all of a sudden. "Is this normal? I mean there's nothing wrong here, right? With you or the baby?"

Ishita nodded. "Yes Raman, it's completely normal. I felt it today while I was shopping, and Simi told me what was happening. Then I called the gynec as well. Dr. Asha assured me that everything was well as long as I didn't feel any pain."

Relief seeped through Raman's veins. He felt another flutter in Ishita's tummy. 

"The gynec also told me that our baby's ears have started developing," Ishita added. "He or she can hear us."

"Really?"

Ishita nodded. 

Raman scooched closer and caressed her belly. "Hello baby. Main aapka papa hoon. Kaise ho aap?"

There was another flutter.

"Main bhi theek hoon," he whispered with mirth. "Main aur mumma aapko milne ke liye bahot excited hain. Aapke bhaiya aur didi bhi aapko milna chahte hai."

Ishita gazed at her husband talking to her unborn baby, and it was a sight she was never going to forget. Love, awe, thankfulness, and contentment all passed through her eyes. 

"...aur aapko meri team mein rehna padega, thik hai beta?" Raman continued. "Kyunki aapke Adi bhaiya aur Ruhi didi ne toh already mumma ke saath team bana li hai."

And there was another flutter.

"Did you see that madrasan?" Raman said, pumping his eyebrows. "My baby is going to be on my team. Not yours."

"You misinterpreted that, Raman," Ishita giggled. "What my baby is saying is that mumma and baby are hungry now."

Raman chuckled in response and rose up to eye-level with his wife. He caged her in his arms and bumped their foreheads together. "Toh aaj kya khaana hai mere baby aur unki mumma ko?"

"Humein aaj rajma chawal khaane hai." Ishita locked her hands around Raman's neck. 

"Thik hai toh phir. Baby ki dadi ko bolte hai aapke liye rajma chawal banane ko." 

Raman planted a quick kiss on her lips before making Ishita stand and ushering her out of the room for dinner.

20 WEEKS PREGNANT

Bhalla House – Friday, 16 July, 4 pm

"No. Absolutely not."

"Please Ishimaa?" Adi pleaded.

"No Adi, I can't give permission for this."

"But papa is okay with it! Why aren't you?"

"Kyunki tum itne bade nahi hue ho ki tum late-night parties mein jao."

Ishita turned away on the dining table, hoping to end the conversation, and took another bite of her yogurt parfait. But her son was on a mission. Adi sprinted to the other side of the table and faced his mother. 

"Pleeeease Ishimaa?" he drawled. "Pleeeease?"

Ishita sighed and put down her spoon. "Adi, enough. You can't go to a late-night party."

"But it's at Hardik's place. I've been there before. You've even met his parents."

"Yes, but this party is different. There will be older boys and girls. You're just not old enough for this."

"But dad said he'd take me and bring me back. And I won't do anything I'm not allowed to do."

Their negotiation went back and forth, at which point Raman stood up from the couch and joined his wife and son on the table. 

"Madrasan, I'll take Adi there and supervise the whole time. Even Hardik's parents will be there. And I'll bring him back before his curfew. It's just pizza and movies," he assured her. "I think it'll be okay."

"Ishimaa, it's the last party happening before school starts. Please maan jaayiye na?" Adi added.

Ishita's eyebrows relaxed as her stance wobbled. But she wasn't convinced all the way yet. That's when Adi brought out his secret weapon. 

"Please Amma?"

Ishita's head whipped around to his son. This was the newest trick he had learned, and he knew very well it always worked. Because there were two things Ishita couldn't say no to: Ruhi's puppy dog eyes and Adi calling her Amma.

"Okay," Ishita sighed. "But your dad will take you there, he'll stay there the whole time, and when he says it's time to come home, you'll come home without a single argument, understand?"

"Yes! Absolutely!" Adi threw his arms around his mother and hugged her. "Thank you so much, Amma! I love you!"

Ishita returned her Adi's hug and kissed him on the cheek before sending him off with his father. Satisfied that her son was just as happy and secure in their love (even after the introduction of the pregnancy), she decided to spend the evening with her daughter. Her pregnancy had taken over such a huge part of her life, but she wanted to make sure the children of her heart never felt neglected in favor of the child of her womb.

Ishita and Ruhi spent that evening watching Barbie re-runs like the old days, when it was just the two of them. Ruhi even brought out her old pink blanket that was too short for her, just to reminisce their first memories together. Their bond had strengthened immensely over the last four years as they formed a family unit with Raman and Adi, but it had been a while since the two of them had spent some exclusive mother-daughter time. They snuggled together on the couch, under a fortress of blankets and pillows, as Ruhi's favorite movies played on the TV.

"Ruhi, are you hungry at all?" Ishita asked in the middle of the Swan Lake movie.

"No mumma. I'm still full from dinner," Ruhi answered. "Kyun? Aapko bhookh lagi hai? Already?"

Ishita nodded. "Aaj kal mumma ko humesha bhookh hi lagi rehti hai."

"Kyunki aap ke tummy mein baby hai, right?" 

"Yes baby." Ishita chuckled at her daughter's perceptiveness. "Aap movie dekho. Main kuch khaane ke liye banaati hoon."

"Nahi mumma!" Ruhi yelled, startling her mother. "Papa ne mujhe strict instructions di thi. Mumma ko koi kaam nahi karna hai."

"Accha? Lekin agar mumma khaana nahi banaayengi, toh kaun banaayega?" Ishita asked. "Dadi jagraate pe gayi hai aur papa Adi bhaiya ke saath bahar gaye hai."

"Idea!" Ruhi snapped her fingers together and her eyes sparkled. "Main Paati ko bolti hoon."

Ishita's ball of fire ran next door and conveyed their dilemma to Madhu. Thirty minutes later, the grandmother arrived with a tray full of Ishita's favorite childhood dishes, much to her delight. 

"Amma, itni takleef kyun ki aapne?" Ishita asked, even as she bit down on the crispy dosas and vadas.

"Isme takleef kaisi kanna?" Madhu chuckled. "I love doing this for you." It was a miracle pregnancy after all, and Madhu was determined to pamper her daughter to her heart's content.

Three generations of women came together that night, relishing on myriad Tamilian dishes and reminiscing memories they had shared over the years. 

Edited by Aditi_X - 1 years ago
Divyalingaraju thumbnail

A very cute update please add about Ishita craving for chicken please update next part soon 

Aditi_X thumbnail

Part 70

24 WEEKS PREGNANT

Bhalla House – Saturday, 14 August, 10 am

Ishita draped her dupatta over her shoulder and surveyed herself in the mirror. She was wearing a bright red and blue maternity salwaar suit with gold hoops and her silky hair tied back in a half-braid. Her baby bump was more than visible now. She had stretch marks around her abdomen and was beginning to get a double chin. 

"Kitni moti ho gayi hoon main..." she muttered to herself, rubbing her swollen belly. "Haina baby? Mumma is getting so fat, isn't she?" 

Ishita maneuvered her dupatta, draping it over her belly in various ways, but there was no way to hide her chubbiness.

Just then, two other arms came snaking around her from behind. She looked up in the mirror to find her husband embracing her, dressed in a rich blue kurta, his chin resting on her shoulder.

"Kya bol rahi thi tum?" he asked, raising his eyebrows at her. 

Ishita sighed. "Look at me, Raman. Nothing fits me anymore. My center of balance is all off. I'm getting fat all over. I even have a double chin now." She elongated her neck and pulled her cheeks in, critical of her rounded face. "I feel so unattractive."

"Har minute kuch na kuch khaati rehti ho. What did you expect madrasan?" he chuckled.

Ishita gasped and elbowed him. "You are so mean! Raavan kumar kahin ke! Chodo mujhe. Mujhe baat hi nahi karni aapse!" She wiggled out of his arms and nudged him away, frowning at her husband's antics.

But Raman pulled her back and grasped her shoulders to make her face him. But Ishita didn't budge. 

"Chodo mujhe!" she grumbled. "Maine kaha na mujhe koi baat nahi karni aapse."

"Fine. Main bhi tumse baat nahi kar raha." He kneeled down and kissed her baby bump. "Main apne baby se baat kar raha hoon."

Raman caressed Ishita's belly and cleared his throat. "Hi mera baby... Aapne suna mumma kya bol rahi hai? She thinks she looks unattractive. Isn't she being foolish?"

They felt a sudden jerk in her tummy, as their baby kicked in response. "See?" Raman looked up at his wife and smirked. "Even your baby agrees. You're being foolish."

Raman brought his ear closer to her belly. "Hmm? Kya bol rahe ho aap? Haan, bilkul sahi kaha aapne. Abhi mumma ko bolta hoon."

The frown on Ishita's face transformed into a shy smile, as Raman stood up and pulled his wife closer. 

"Suna baby ne kya kaha?" he asked. 

"Kya?"

"My baby is saying that mumma will always be beautiful for papa." He tucked a loose strand of her hair behind her ear and leaned in to kiss her cheek. "Mumma has never looked more beautiful than she does now. And papa is falling in love with her more and more every single day."

"Raman... That was... so sweet." Ishita sniffed and swiped her finger under her eyes, but it did nothing to stop her from crying.

"Arey yaar, tum har baat pe itna roti kyun ho aaj kal? Kahan gayi meri Jhansi ki Rani jo mujhe lecture diya karti thi?"

"Toh main kya karu isme? Aap itni sweet baatein bologe toh aisa hi hoga na? Ab toh main aapko Raavan kumar bhi nahi bula sakti."

"Accha? Toh koi aur naam soch lo..."

Raman inched closer and closer until their lips were only a hair apart. 

"Bhai! Bhabhi!"

Rinki's booming voice had them springing apart. She was at the door in the next instant, dressed in a bright orange salwaar suit. "Mihir-Mihika aa gaye hai. Chaliye bahar, rakhi ki taiyyari karni hai."

Ishita nodded at her sister-in-law, who bolted off in the next instant, floating on cloud nine from the excitement of raksha bandhan. Meanwhile, Raman groaned at having been interrupted – again – while his wife dragged him out of their room for the festivities.

"Pehle main Adi bhaiya ko rakhi baandhungi!" Ruhi demanded.

"Nahin, pehle meri baby sister ki baari hai! Kshitija apne big brother ko rakhi baandhegi!" Shravu retorted.

"Romi, agar is saal tune koi dhang ki gift nahi di na, toh main aur Rinki teri pitaai karenge!" Simi threatened.

"Rehne do Simi di, aapki dhamkiyon se darne wala nahi hoon main!" Romi threw back at her.

"Aiyyo Vishwa, mere anna ko meri rakhi kyun nahi mili abhi tak?!" Madhu questioned.

"Madhu, delivery wale thodi late chal rahe hai. Unhe shaam tak mil jaayegi," Vishwa assured her.

"Toshi ji, phone chaalu hai. Shaila behenji se baat karni hai aapko?" Omprakash asked.

"Nahi Bhalla ji, aap baat kar lo. Mainu thoda kaam hai," Toshi replied.

"Jab bhi Shaila behen ji ka phone aata hai toh aapko kaam aa jaata hai. Mujhe aaj tak samajh nahi aata aap dono ki kyun nahin banti."

Every festival or holiday at the Bhalla-Iyer household was a huge deal, but if there was any special day that was the most chaotic, then it was Rakshabandhan. Blood siblings, soul siblings, and cousins all got together to tie rakhis to each other, and when they got together, it was complete mayhem. 

Raman brought Ishita outside and sat her down in an armchair as they rolled their eyes at the craziness that their family was.

"Shaant ho jao sab log!" Raman yelled, clapping his hands together to quiet everyone down. "Sab log ek-ek karke rakhi baandhte hai. Itna dhamaal machaane ki koi zaroorat nahi hai."

"Shuruaat bacchon se karte hai," Ishita suggested.

"YES!" Ruhi and Shravu jumped in joy.

"Adi bhaiya, come here!" Ruhi yelled, grabbing the pooja thali.

"Amma, Kshitija ko lekar aao na!" Shravu screamed at the same time. 

And just like that another fight broke out. 

"Me first!" Shravu shrieked, snatching the rakhi out of Ruhi's thali.

"No, first me!" Ruhi squealed, pulling at the rakhi in her cousin's hand.

Their tug of war continued, despite the adults' interference, until the rakhi they were fighting over tore in two pieces, beads falling out and scattering everywhere.

"Shravu! Ruhi! Yeh kya kiya aapne?!" Vandu admonished them. "You know what? Because of this now, you guys will go last."

"But amma-"

"Periamma-"

"No arguments! Finger on your lips!" The school principal in Vandu appeared and the fight was immediately squashed. 

While Mihika and Vandu cleaned up the beads and broken strings, Rinki and Simi stepped forward with their rakhis and pooja thalis. 

"Raman bhai, Romi, tum dono aa jao idhar," Simi instructed. 

Raman and Romi sat down on the couch, and Rinki and Simi stepped forward to apply a tilak and tie a rakhi. While Raman gifted them each a new gold bracelet, Romi handed them an envelope full of cash. 

Next up were Ishita and Mihir. Mihika handed Ishita a pooja thali, while Mihir sat down on the coffee table in front of the armchair she was seated on. Ishita applied a tilak to his forehead and tied a rakhi on his wrist. 

"So... where's my gift bhaiya?" Ishita drawled with an outstretched palm.

"Right here didi." Mihir picked up a box covered in silver gift wrap and handed it to his sister. "Khol ke batayiye kaisa laga."

Ishita opened the box and gasped. Out of the box came a baby blanket, a tiny cap, a pair of socks, and two adorable little custom-made onesies.

"Awww Mihir!" Ishita squealed with delight. "This is so cute!"

"Humein bhi dikhao," Raman urged. 

Ishita unfolded the onesies and showed them to the rest of the family: A pink onesie with a golden crown captioned 'Tiny Jhansi ki Rani' and a blue onesie with a lion cartoon captioned 'Tiny Raavan Kumar.'

"Now you have a onesie for whether you have a boy or a girl," Mihir explained. 

"This is incredibly adorable," Raman laughed. "Thanks yaar."

Next up, were the kids. And to avoid another fight breaking out, Simi suggested that the youngest sister goes first (much to Ruhi's chagrin).

Vandu came forward with Kshitija and Shravu. She helped her daughter tie a rakhi to Shravu. 

"Mela plesent?" Kshitija cooed, opening her tiny palm to her brother. 

That's when Bala came in and handed his son a gift wrapped in purple wrapping paper. Kshitija opened it with Shravu's help to reveal a horde of her favorite Paw Patrol action figures, much to her awe.

Ananya came up next to tie a rakhi to Adi with Simi's help. Adi tied a handkerchief over his head as Ananya applied a tilak to his forehead. With her mother's help, she tied a rakhi on his wrist. In response, Adi revealed a present for his cousin, containing a pink teddy bear and a small doll house.

"Thank you bhaiya!" Ananya squealed, giving him a big hug.

Finally, it was Ruhi's turn. She tied a rakhi to Shravu first, despite how annoyed she was at him. Then she put forth her hand demanding her gift.

"I don't have any presents for you," Shravu huffed, crossing his arms over his chest.

Ruhi gasped at the atrocity. "Periamma! Periappa! Look at him!" she whined. 

"Shravu..." Bala scolded him. "Give Ruhi her gift."

"Ugh... fine."

Shravu handed Ruhi a box wrapped in pink gift wrap. She tore off the paper to find a new acrylic and watercolor set. 

"Thank you periamma! Thanks periappa!" she exclaimed with joy. 

"Oye Ruhi chuhi! Mujhe toh thank you bol! Gift maine diya hai!" Shravu yelled, planting his hands on his hips. 

"Okay... thank you," she said hesitantly, rolling her eyes.

Before they could start fighting again, Ishita beckoned Adi to come forward so Ruhi could tie a rakhi to her brother. Ruhi applied a tilak to Adi and tied a rakhi around his wrist. They fed each other laddoos before Adi dragged over a large gift bag for her sister. 

"Itna bada gift?" Ruhi wondered aloud. 

She pulled out her present from the gift bag and gasped. It was a hot pink Barbie-themed backpack. 

"Thank you so much bhaiya!" she squealed with delight, hugging her brother. "This was exactly what I wanted! Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

By the time each rakhi had been tied and each present gifted, the clock had struck twelve. The family gathered around in the living room for an elaborate buffet style lunch, reveling in the glee and joy floating through the atmosphere.

26 WEEKS PREGNANT

Vidya Shakti Public School – Tuesday, 31 August, 3 pm

Raman parked the car and turned off the engine, as he and Ishita left the car. They slammed the door shut and walked towards the entrance, concern etched in their faces.

"Kya hua hoga Raman?" Ishita asked, voice trembling with worry. "Why would the principal call us to her office at this time?"

"We'll figure it out." Raman held onto his wife's hand, as they made their way towards the principal's office. "Just please don't worry too much, okay?"

Ishita took a deep breath and nodded. 

They arrived in the principal's office to find Adi and Ruhi standing on the side with another older boy and his parents on the other side of the office. 

"What happened?" Ishita asked, going over to her children. 

"What's going on?" Raman asked the principal. 

"What's going on is that your kids have gotten into a fight with another student here," the principal answered.

"No! What happened is that your kids beat up my son!" The other father in the room stormed towards Raman. "Look at him!"

Everyone turned towards the older boy to see him hugging his mother, sporting a split lip and bruised cheek.

"I demand that these two be rusticated!" his father bellowed. "They hit my Vicky for no reason!"

"That's not true!" Adi protested.

"He's lying!" Ruhi yelled.

"ENOUGH!" the principal boomed. "Mr. Zhakar, I'll decide what punishment to give. But rest assured, both of them will be reprimanded for breaking the discipline of our school," she said to Vicky's father.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa!" Raman spoke up. "I think Adi and Ruhi should be given a chance to tell their side of the story too, right?"

"Exactly," Ishita chimed in, putting an arm around her kids, showing her unwavering support. "Humaare bacche bina kisi baat ke kisi ko chot nahi pohcha sakte."

"Okay." The principal turned to Adi and Ruhi. "Tell everyone what happened please."

"Ma'am, this Vicky is always bullying my friends," Ruhi began. "He stole my friend's new compass box once. Then he broke our classmate's ruler. He even scribbled all over my old backpack and wrote mean words on it."

"No! She's lying!" Vicky stammered. 

"Shush Vicky!" the principal interjected. "Let her speak. And if she's lying, then I'll bring Ruhi's classmates here to confirm her story."

That was enough to shut up Vicky. 

"And ma'am, today Vicky came up to me and my friends at lunch," Ruhi continued. "We were scared so I complained to Adi bhaiya about him."

Then Adi took over the rest of the story. "I told him to walk away and leave the girls alone. But Vicky just laughed at me and pushed me. That's why I punched him. He started it!"

"No, he started it!" Vicky insisted.

"Fine then," the principal interrupted. "Let me just get Ruhi's and Adi's classmates and ask them what really happened. How does that sound?"

"Yes, do that!" Ruhi agreed.

"Yes, they'll tell you the truth," Adi declared.

"No!" Vicky yelled.

Every face turned to Vicky, who had colored up pink in shame. Instantly, he averted his eyes and hung his head low.

"But that doesn't excuse the fact that this boy punched my son!" Zhakar roared.

"Are you kidding me right now?" Raman gritted out. "You found out that your son has been bullying my daughter and her friends, and that's your response?"

"Listen you Raman Bhalla-"

"Enough gentlemen!" the principal roared. "Mr. Zhakar, this is another complaint we've received against your son. So now it is time that he be disciplined for it. And Mr. Bhalla, while I appreciate that your son was just protecting his sister and her friends, violence is never an answer."

Raman could barely stop himself from rolling his eyes. He had more than enough experience with bullies  (Ashok, Suraj, Oberoi, etc.). And sometimes violence was the answer. Adi was completely in the right if he had anything to say about it. But he didn't want to argue that with the person in charge of the disciplinary actions against his children.

Ishita took a nervous breath, glancing between her children and the principal. It enraged her to no end that someone had hurt her kids, but it worried her that Adi had resorted to physical violence rather than asking for help from a trusted adult. She couldn't tell whether this was her newly minted teenager acting out of insecurity, or he was genuinely protecting his sister. Or both.

"Mr. and Mrs. Zhakar..." The principal addressed Vicky and his parents. "I am hereby suspending Vicky for the next two weeks. I am also assigning him an anti-bullying workshop. We do not tolerate any form of bullying in our school."

The Zhakar family begrudgingly left the office giving dirty looks to Raman and his kids before the principal turned her attention to the Bhalla family.

"Mr. and Mrs. Bhalla, I understand that Aditya was acting in the interest of his sister. But there has to be some disciplinary action for the way he has acted today. Aditya, I am giving you lunch detention for the rest of this week. No recess for you. You will spend your lunch time in my office, working on homework or reading."

"Okay ma'am." Adi was bummed out knowing that he'll miss out on recess with his friends for the rest of the week, but spending half an hour every day reading a book was hardly a punishment for a bookworm like him. Of course, he was never going to tell the principal that.

"The school day will be finishing up in a few minutes." The principal glanced at her wrist watch. "If you like, you can take your kids home, Mr. and Mrs. Bhalla."

"Okay ma'am."

Wordlessly, Raman and Ishita beckoned their kids outside and led them to the car. While the parents sat down in the front, Ruhi and Adi climbed into the back. They glanced at each other and shrugged. Mom and dad were going to be really mad now.

"Mumma..." Ruhi murmured. 

"Dad..." Adi whispered. "Are you guys mad?"

Ishita and Raman glanced at each other, silent words passing between them. 

"We're not mad beta," Raman said, locking eyes with his kids in the rear-view mirror. "But we need to talk."

Burger N' Bite – twenty minutes later

"Here's your order." The waiter laid down a tray of four burgers and two large fries at the table. "Enjoy!"

Ishita distributed the burgers amongst the four of them, as Raman brought packets of ketchup and napkins from the counter. When Adi and Ruhi were a few bites into their burger, Raman began the conversation. 

"Dekho beta, sabse pehli baat, Ishimaa aur main aapse gussa nahi hai. Adi, you protected your sister and her friends. And Ruhi, you stood up for yourself without being afraid today. I'm proud of both of you for that, which is why we're treating you to burgers and fries."

A smile crept up on Ruhi's face, and relief washed over Adi as the anxiety dissipated from his chest.

"But," Ishita interjected, "you must know that physical violence is never ever the answer. And which something like this happens again then we won't be this forgiving, do you understand?"

Adi and Ruhi nodded.

"Beta, agar aapko koi pareshaan kar raha tha toh aapne mumma ya papa ko kyun nahi bataya?" Raman asked. 

"Papa, woh Vicky sabko bully karta rehta hai. It wasn't a big deal," Ruhi shrugged dismissively. "The teachers knew and they gave him punishment sometimes but he never changed."

Just then, realization dawned on Ishita. "Ruhi, at school you said that Vicky scribbled on your old backpack. Adi, is that why you gifted your sister a new backpack for Rakhi?"

Ruhi gulped. Adi nodded. 

Ishita and Raman exchanged concerned glances. 

"Aapne yeh sab humein kyun nahi bataya?" Ishita asked.

"Um... Hum aapko pareshaan nahi karna chahte the Ishimaa," Ruhi replied. "Aapko aur baby ko rest ki zaroorat hai na?"

"Aur waise bhi..." Adi lowered his eyes and gulped. "Jab baby aa jaayega, tab usko aapki zyada zaroorat hogi. Toh humein apne aap ko khud hi manage karna hoga na?"

Raman's spine straightened and muscles stiffened in discomfort. Tears pooled in Ishita's eyes. This was her worst fear: Adi and Ruhi distancing themselves from her now that another baby was coming.

"Adi, Ruhi," Ishita addressed her children. "Ishimaa ne aapko pehle bhi kaha tha... Aap humaare liye humesha sabse zyada important rahoge. Aap humaare first babies ho. Haan, jab baby aayega tab use humaare attention ki zaroorat hogi, lekin aap ko bhi humaari attention ki zaroorat hai, right?"

The kids nodded.

"Aap dono ki wajah se hum parents bane," Raman added, "aur aap dono ke liye humaare dil mein jo pyaar hai woh roz roz badhta hai. In fact, naya baby aane ke baad bhi woh pyaar badhta rahega. All three of you are pieces of our heart, and we'll love all of you the same. We promise you that."

"Ab kya aap log humein ek promise karoge?" Ishita asked. 

"Yes."

"Of course."

"Then promise us that whenever you have any problem, or if you're ever in any kind of trouble, you will always come to me or papa. Don't ever think what we'll say or whether we'll be mad or if you'll annoy us or anything like that. You will always come to us whenever you need us. Promise?"

"Okay mumma," Ruhi nodded.

"We promise Amma," Adi smiled.

"Now, finish your burgers before they get cold."

The family of four dug into their burgers and fries, and the atmosphere significantly lightened up. 

"Raman, can I have a bite of your burger?" Ishita asked, when she had finished her burger.

Raman's eyes popped out of his head. "You want a bite? Of my burger?"

Ishita nodded. "It smells so good."

"Madrasan, this is... chicken."

Horror dawned on Ishita and she gasped. "Oh my god..."

"You can have the rest of it if you want," Raman chuckled, offering his burger.

"No!" Ishita flinched back. "I can't eat chicken! I can't believe I'm craving chicken right now!"

"I mean if the baby wants chicken..." Raman let the end of his sentence dangle as a tease.

"Come on Raman! I don't care if the baby wants chicken. I. Am. Not. Eating. That." 

She dropped her head into her hands and groaned. Raman chuckled aloud. Adi and Ruhi giggled as they munched on fries.

"Raman?" Ishita lifted her head and looked over at her husband. 

"Yes dear?"

"Can you just get me another veggie burger? I'm still hungry," she pouted.

"Okay madrasan. I'll go give the order."

Raman went to the counter and returned after giving the order. Ten minutes later, a waitress arrived with two veggie burgers and a bag of fries. 

"Here you go sir!" she exclaimed, laying the tray down.

"Raman, I only asked for one burger," Ishita said. "What's all this?"

"I know you and our baby now," Raman replied. "You're always underestimating how hungry you are."

"That is so sweet," the waitress chimed in, as Ishita took a bite of her second burger. "You're a very sweet husband sir."

"Thank you for the compliment miss," Raman smiled. 

"Raman," Ishita interrupted in a sweet voice. "Why don't we go home now?"

"Don't you want to finish eating first?" 

"I'll eat in the car. Let's go."

"But-"

Before Raman could figure out what had changed, Ishita was packing up the leftover food and ushering her kids out of the fast food joint. All throughout the car ride, she chewed on the burgers, never speaking to him, not even looking at him, and the alarms started ringing. It wasn't until they were alone in their bedroom that she exploded.

"You were flirting with her!" she yelled accusatorily, throwing her purse down on the dresser and plopping down on the couch, handling her baby bump. 

"What?" Raman asked, startled in the process of untying his wristwatch.

"That waitress! You were flirting with her in broad daylight!"

"N-No... Absolutely not," Raman stuttered defensively. "I was not flirting with her!"

"Yes you were. Aapko main ab acchi nahi lagti na? Mere saamne aur bacchon ke saamne kisi aur ke saath flirt kar rahe the!"

"Madrasan, all I said was 'thank you.' How is that flirting?"

"I get it. You don't find me attractive me anymore, isn't it? You want that hot young waitress, don't you?" Ishita crossed her arms against her chest and glared angrily at her husband.

Raman rolled his eyes and sighed. "You've got it all wrong Ishita. I promise-"

"You know what?! I don't want to hear it!" Ishita stood up from the couch and grabbed the lapels of his shirt. "But listen to this, Raman. Agar aapne mere alaawa kisi aur aurat ke baare mein socha bhi na, toh main aapka woh haal karungi ki aap soch bhi nahi sakte."

"Lekin maine kab-"

Before he could protest any further, his wife let go of him roughly and stormed out of the room. Raman couldn't even wrap his head around what had just happened. He stood in his room, eyes bulging like a deer caught in headlights, and groaned out loud. 

He had asked her a few days ago where his Jhansi ki Rani had vanished. Well, his warrior queen was back now and he almost regretted even asking that. Careful what you wish for, Mr. Bhalla. Careful what you wish for.

28 WEEKS PREGNANT

Bhalla House – Friday, 17 September, 5:30 am

"Ouch."

Ishita turned over on the bed and scrunched her brows in discomfort. Her baby had been especially active lately, meaning it was kicking at all hours.

"Kyun mumma ko sone nahi de rahe ho baby?" she groaned, as she sat up and sighed. 

She was up now and there was no way she could fall asleep again anytime soon. Which meant she was going to sleep during the day, something she found herself doing quite a bit lately. She was always either sleeping or eating. Speaking of which, she was hungry now. Again. 

She got up from her bed and tiptoed to the kitchen, ravenous and jittery. She rummaged through the cabinets, looking for spicy masala snacks to satisfy her hunger pangs. 

"Kya ho gaya madam?" 

Ishita turned around to see her husband standing in a soft white kurta with sexily tousled hair.

"Your baby isn't letting me sleep," she pouted. "And I'm hungry. Again."

Raman couldn't help but laugh. He had grown accustomed to his wife's hormonal mood swings by now. One minute she was crying, another she was mad, and then another she was overtly loving. It was one heck of a wild ride.

"Come here." He led his wife to the kitchen table and pulled out a chair for her, urging her to sit. "I'll get you something to eat. Kya khaana hai?"

"Kuch teekha aur chatpata."

He kissed her and his unborn baby before fishing through the cabinets to find her favorite murukku and aloo bhujia. He served it in two plates and set it in front of her on the table. 

"Here you go." Raman sat down beside her, gazing at her lovingly, as Ishita munched on her favorite snacks.

"Aap so jayiye na, Raman," she suggested. "You wake up every night when I do, and then you work at the office all day long. You're going to overwork yourself. Aise toh aapki tabiyat kharaab ho jaayegi."

"I'm fine Ishita. I love these moments with you and our baby. Besides, it's almost time for me to wake up anyway."

He placed his hand on her tummy, his heart bursting with pride as the baby kicked and moved. Their attention was diverted when they heard the creak of a door opening. Toshi emerged from her bedroom, having woken up from the shuffling noises, to find the two lovebirds snacking at the kitchen table.

"Ki hoya puttar? Itni subah-subah kya kar rahe ho tum log?" she yawned.

"Ishita ko bhookh lagi thi Maa. Use kuch chatpata khaana tha," Raman answered. 

"Agar kuch chatpata hi khaana hai toh ruk. Main tere liye garama-garam aloo ke parothe banaati hoon. Tu yeh sab rukha-sukha naashta mat kha. Parathe ka atta aur aloo ka masala pada hi hai."

"Nahi mummyji... uski koi zaroorat nahi hai," Ishita insisted.

But Toshi ignored her daughter-in-law's protests, as she turned on the stove and removed the dough and potato mixture from the fridge.

"Raman, itthe aa, meri madad kar," Toshi instructed. 

"Nahi Raman, mummyji, is sab ki koi zaroorat nahi hai-"

"Shhh." Raman pressed his index finger against his wife's lips and silenced her. "Tum chup-chaap baitho. This is happening, and you can't do anything to stop it. So just sit and relax."

Ishita leaned back on the chair as Raman joined his mother in the kitchen. While Toshi rolled out parathas on the counter, Raman fried them on the stove and served them steaming hot to his wife on the table. Ishita ate one paratha after another with finger-licking pickle and yogurt, while Raman and Toshi cooked one paratha after another.

"Kitne parathe aur khaaogi madrasan?" Raman asked from the stove.

His mother smacked him across the shoulder in the very next instant. "Oye khotte de khur! Khaane de na use! Woh jitne marzi khaaye, tujhe kya?!"

"Arey waise nahi maa. Main toh isiliye puch raha hoon taaki pata chale ki aur kitne parathe banaane hai."

"Yeh sahi keh rahe hai mummyji," Ishita chimed in between bites of paratha. "Ekdum bhukkad ho gayi hoon main. Har time bhookh hi lagi rehti hai mujhe."

"Koi ni puttar." Toshi rolled out another paratha. "Aise time pe jyada khaana accha rehta hai. Tu tension na le."

"Bilkul, ghar ka raashan khatam ho gaya toh Amma ke ghar se le aayenge," Raman chuckled.

Toshi and Raman cooked while Ishita ate and laughed until the sun came up. The workday began for the adults and school started for the kids in the next hour. Ironically, it was only then when her unborn baby finally calmed down, allowing Ishita to sleep soundly. 

30 WEEKS PREGNANT

Bhalla House – Wednesday, 29 September, 4 pm

The ring of the doorbell chimed through the loft, and Rinki opened the door to reveal a dusky young woman dressed in a sea green kurti and jeans carrying two large boxes. 

"Hi, can I help you?" Rinki asked. 

"Hello, I'm Sarika," the woman answered. "I work with Dr. Ishita. Well technically, I used to work with her now that she has quit. I'm just here to drop off some of her stuff."

"Oh yeah... Of course, come in. She's right over here on the couch."

Sarika smiled and walked in to find Ishita reading a book on the sofa in the living room. Meanwhile, Rinki headed back into her room.

"Hi Sarika!" Ishita beamed, putting away her book on the side table. "Kaise aana hua?"

"I'm dropping off the stuff you left back in your office." Sarika gently placed the two boxes on the living room table and sat down in the adjacent armchair. "Ma'am, do you really have to quit? Aapki kami bahot mehsoos hogi humein."

"I know Sarika, but I have to do this." Ishita ran a hand over her baby bump. "When my baby comes, I want to be here at home to take care of him or her. For at least a couple years. I can't get that long of a maternity leave, so this is the best option."

"I understand ma'am. But still, I hope we can still keep in touch."

"Of course we will. And who knows, maybe I'll be back at the clinic a few years later. Or we'll work together in another way. You never know."

Sarika smiled ruefully. She didn't have many female friendships in her life. Ishita was one of the few women she admired and respected from the bottom of her heart, with whom she had a genuine friendship. She was disappointed to know that this was the end of their working relationship. 

"Anyway..." Sarika cleared her throat and opened the boxes on the table. "This box has your extra white coats and the change of clothes you kept at the clinic. And this one has your office supplies and medical equipment. Oh and more thing..."

Sarika pulled out a gift wrapped basket from one of the boxes and showed it to Ishita. 

"This is for you. From me."

"Oh my god... You didn't have to do this, Sarika..." Ishita unwrapped the paper covering the basket and smiled with gratitude. "What is all this?"

"It's a care package. I hope you like it."

Ishita surveyed through the items in the basket: an electronic back massager, fragrant soaps, silky loofas, moisturizing lotions, revitalizing face masks, and scented candles.

"Pregnancy mein back pain hota hoga na? Isiliye woh back massager," Sarika explained. "And these soaps and lotions and face masks are for you when the baby comes. So you can find some relaxing time for yourself too. Sab log babies ke liye gifts bhejte hai lekin mumma ke liye kabhi kabhi bhul jaate hai. I hope you like it."

"Like it?" Ishita gazed at her with admiration and gratitude. "I LOVE it, Sarika! This was such a thoughtful gesture! I'm extremely touched."

"I'm so glad you liked it ma'am."

They chatted for a few more minutes before it was time for Sarika to leave. She hugged Ishita and left the apartment, descending the steps of Akash Ganga Society. But before she could leave to find a rickshaw, she found herself privy to a conversation that shook the earth beneath her feet.

A few minutes earlier

Romi parked his bike in the parking lot and spun his key to kill the engine. Being in charge of an international contract was more work than he had bargained for. Raman and Mihir were on his side, helping him as much as they could, but the majority of the responsibility had fallen on his shoulders. Today was one of the rare workdays when he was able to come home before sundown. 

Before he could get off the bike and take his helmet off, his phone rang. It was Raman bhai, and Romi knew better than to ignore his call. He picked up his phone and set it on speaker. 

"Hey bhai, you're on speaker. I'm just parking my bike," he said, as he climbed off his bike.

"No worries," Raman answered. "I'm calling to ask where you put the audit file. Mihir and I can't find it."

"I gave it to your secretary before I left. She'll know."

"Okay then. Thanks. Oh and one more thing... I've been meaning to ask about that money you gave to your friend. We never talked about whether he's returning that money. Was it a loan? Or was it just a generous gift?"

"Um... it was an anonymous donation. So to answer your question... No, they're not returning that money. I never asked."

"Oh okay then. Tere dost ka kaam ho gaya phir?"

"Yeah, kaam ho gaya."

"Okay. That's good to know. I'll call you later then, okay?"

"Okay bhai. Bye!"

Romi pocketed his phone and keys, removed his helmet, and hung it on the handle of his bike. He turned around to go home, only to find Sarika standing behind him with her jaw on the floor. She had heard everything.

"Sarika... Listen, I-"

"Woh paise tumne diye the?" she asked, a glossy sheen of emotion materializing in her eyes.

"Haan, maine diye the, and I know you didn't want that, par tum itna pareshaan ho rahi thi, aur payment karne ka aakhri din tha, toh mujhe jo sahi laga woh maine kiya. Please tum is baat ka koi galat matlab-"

His defensive ramblings were cut short when Romi found the wind knocked out of his lungs. Sarika had run forward and thrown her arms around her boyfriend, with gratefulness, awe, love, and complete adoration flowing through her veins. 

All her life, it had been just her and her mother. Every man they had known (family or otherwise) had some kind of hidden motive. This was the first time anyone had done something for her – and more importantly, her mother – out of complete and utter selfnessness.

"Thank you, Romi," she whispered, voice brimming with emotion. "Thank you so so much! Tumne bilkul farishte ki tarah meri maa ki madad kari hai. Main jitna thanks bolu utna kam hai."

Relief flooded through Romi's chest and he returned Sarika's hug, as he realized his girlfriend was appreciating his gesture instead of getting mad at him for crossing a line. He was afraid that he had butted his head somewhere he shouldn't have, but even then, he did what he had to do. He could take Sarika's anger, her irritation, and maybe even separation from her if she had opposed his anonymous donation. But he couldn't take the lines of worry in her face and depth of sadness in her eyes at the thought of her mother's ailment and pain.

"Thank you mat bol, yaar," he whispered, kissing the crown of her head. "I love you."

"I love you too."

They were so lost in each other, they forgot that they were in a public place... That too smack-dab in the middle of Romi's society. Consequently, a particular pair of eyes landed on them from the balcony above, eyes that popped open in shock. 

Rinki almost spit out her coffee at the sight beneath her. Her brother Romi... hugging and kissing Sarika... Ishita bhabhi's receptionist and secretary... She rubbed her eyes over and over but the sight never changed. She pinched herself but she wasn't dreaming. And that utterly shocked her to her core.

Edited by Aditi_X - 1 years ago
Divyalingaraju thumbnail

A very nice update please update next part soon