Why Maya worked but Noor is not?

NoraSM thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

No episode so thought about making this topic, Noor's character arc is similar to darker shade of Maya. Here are a few pointers on why I think Maya worked for me, but Noor is not, do share your thoughts on this 

1 Backstory - In Beyhadh we got Backstory of Maya, she was traumatized and abused by her father in childhood, we understood the reason she wanted Arjun in her life at any cost, Arjun was the one who stood up for her against her father, he brought colors back to her life. He loved her. Maya was a strong, successful woman, in first few months, I had no reason not to love her ❤️ and later sympathize with her, understand her need to keep Arjun with her, but everything has a limit. Biggest reason of my support for Maya was that she was a mentally challenged person, she needed help but none helped her. 

Noor is a brat, she is daughter of a servant but she has lived a privileged life, she had love and all the riches in the world. Razia's daughter Saba is more grounded than Noor. Don't have information on her educational qualifications. She wants to marry a man for his money. Revolutionary for some but Gold Digger for me. It is like a man marrying a woman for sex, he can be as honest as he wants but he will remain a lust driven character for me. 

She lost her mother but they barely give her scenes where she is thinking about her mother, she just wants Azaan at any cost, why she wants Azaan? I have no idea, she definitely doesn't care about him, she doesn't care that he is angry with her enough to lash out at her saying she will be lonely for rest of her life. 

2 Maya was Arjun's wife - Marriage is overrated for some but for most it is a sacred institution. I did not like Sanjh for her attempt to kiss Arjun when he was married to Maya and till this date, I read about people supporting Maya and hating on Sanjh for being a homewrecker. Someone told me that Drishti had to leave a show where she was playing the other woman because of severe backlash from the audience. 

Noor is the friend here, she is coming between two people who love each other and are married. One more reason why she is not working for me. 

It is a very different situation, I have never liked positive characters, they annoy me to no end, I want to like the grey character in this show. Asgar and Khalid are doing the job of grey characters for me. 

3 Jennifer Winget - I don't know to which extent JW playing Maya affected audience's view towards her but she was definitely a factor. 

4 Maya's end is Noor's beginning - Maya was grey for the most part, but she turned completely dark when she framed Ayaan in a fake molestation charge. 

We are 5 weeks into the show and Noor has already done this with Khalid. 

Edited by NoraSM - 4 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

The_May_Rose thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

I have read SM posts from friends regarding Maya and your analysis seems correct Nora. 

The writers started Noor from a selfish point of view and then revealed her darkness as soon as her mother died.  As I wrote in another thread, it is if they summarised the whole show in the first episode and now they are narrating it in detail, through the lives of the characters. 

Unlike Noor, Maya was successful self-made business woman.  I do not begrudge Noor for the privileged upbringing because Razia Begum saw Yasmeen Khala and her daughter as family not servants.  But as many of us have stated, not even Azaan's own sister behaves so entitled.  What gives Noor the right to speak so rudely to RB and after repeated refusals from Shayra's husband Azaan, why does she still speak of haq?  General viewers will obviously not accept husband-stealing.

Noor does not have our sympathy because she has no humility, she does not know the true meaning of friendship, faith, life and love.  Even her moments of humanity are lost because they seem self serving.  Currently, it is difficult to watch her demands fulfilled and how ungrateful she is; especially after what she has done and is now promising to do...

...and as in the first episode and finally/eventually, she has to realise that Azaan and Shayra belong together because they love each other.  Perhaps then we can appreciate a true sacrifice from Noor...

I also think Khalid and Asgar are far more interesting as grey characters,  Noor was always meant to be dark. 

Edited by The_May_Rose - 4 years ago
NoraSM thumbnail

Originally posted by: The_May_Rose

I have read SM posts from friends regarding Maya and your analysis seems correct Nora. 

The writers started Noor from a selfish point of view and then revealed her darkness as soon as her mother died.  As I wrote in another thread, it is if they summarised the whole show in the first episode and now they are narrating it in detail, through the lives of the characters. 

Unlike Noor, Maya was successful self-made business woman.  I do not begrudge Noor for the privileged upbringing because Razia Begum saw Yasmeen Khala and her daughter as family not servants.  But as many of us have stated, not even Azaan's own sister behaves so entitled.  What gives Noor the right to speak so rudely to RB and after repeated refusals from Shayra's husband Azaan, why does she still speak of haq?  General viewers will obviously not accept husband-stealing.

Noor does not have our sympathy because she has no humility, she does not know the true meaning of friendship, faith, life and love.  Even her moments of humanity are lost because they seem self serving.  Currently, it is difficult to watch her demands fulfilled and how ungrateful she is; especially after what she has done and is now promising to do...

...and as in the first episode and finally/eventually, she has to realise that Azaan and Shayra belong together because they love each other.  Perhaps then we can appreciate a true sacrifice from Noor...

I also think Khalid and Asgar are far more interesting as grey characters,  Noor was always meant to be dark. 

Happy Monday, Rose. Have a good week ahead 🤗 

I would have sympathized or at least understood Noor, if her mother's death was the reason for her behavior. But as the housemaid said that Yasmin controlled Noor's evil behavior with Yasmin gone, there's no stopping her. 

Razia and Azaan treating Noor as family is not wrong, the wrong one here is Noor. There was a scene where she was donating things to poor people saying they don't have anything. Doesn't she understand that they at least work, they are not living on someone's charity. Am I being mean? Maybe but this is the way of life, even Azaan must be grateful to his mother for being there for him, you see the extent which Shaira can go for a moment of love she got from Yasmin. 

I am optimistic about Shaira and Azaan's future, at the same time I don't want Azaan to lose his friend 

Silpa20 thumbnail
IPL 2023 Match Winner Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 9

Originally posted by: NoraSM

No episode so thought about making this topic, Noor's character arc is similar to darker shade of Maya. Here are a few pointers on why I think Maya worked for me, but Noor is not, do share your thoughts on this 

1 Backstory - In Beyhadh we got Backstory of Maya, she was traumatized and abused by her father in childhood, we understood the reason she wanted Arjun in her life at any cost, Arjun was the one who stood up for her against her father, he brought colors back to her life. He loved her. Maya was a strong, successful woman, in first few months, I had no reason not to love her ❤️ and later sympathize with her, understand her need to keep Arjun with her, but everything has a limit. Biggest reason of my support for Maya was that she was a mentally challenged person, she needed help but none helped her. 

Noor is a brat, she is daughter of a servant but she has lived a privileged life, she had love and all the riches in the world. Razia's daughter Saba is more grounded than Noor. Don't have information on her educational qualifications. She wants to marry a man for his money. Revolutionary for some but Gold Digger for me. It is like a man marrying a woman for sex, he can be as honest as he wants but he will remain a lust driven character for me. 

She lost her mother but they barely give her scenes where she is thinking about her mother, she just wants Azaan at any cost, why she wants Azaan? I have no idea, she definitely doesn't care about him, she doesn't care that he is angry with her enough to lash out at her saying she will be lonely for rest of her life. 

2 Maya was Arjun's wife - Marriage is overrated for some but for most it is a sacred institution. I did not like Sanjh for her attempt to kiss Arjun when he was married to Maya and till this date, I read about people supporting Maya and hating on Sanjh for being a homewrecker. Someone told me that Drishti had to leave a show where she was playing the other woman because of severe backlash from the audience. 

Noor is the friend here, she is coming between two people who love each other and are married. One more reason why she is not working for me. 

It is a very different situation, I have never liked positive characters, they annoy me to no end, I want to like the grey character in this show. Asgar and Khalid are doing the job of grey characters for me. 

3 Jennifer Winget - I don't know to which extent JW playing Maya affected audience's view towards her but she was definitely a factor. 

4 Maya's end is Noor's beginning - Maya was grey for the most part, but she turned completely dark when she framed Ayaan in a fake molestation charge. 

We are 5 weeks into the show and Noor has already done this with Khalid. 

you say maya worked for you.I think you mean you sympathised with her but don't justify her actions.am I right?

NoraSM thumbnail

Originally posted by: Silpa91

you say maya worked for you.I think you mean you sympathised with her but don't justify her actions.am I right?

Maya worked for me before she framed Ayaan and went on a kiling spree, I stopped watching after she killed Arjun's mother. 

I understood her before all this, she was mentally unstable, she could not reason like normal people. She had no sense of right and wrong. I sympathized with her, there is no justification for a difficult mind. 

The_May_Rose thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

I would have sympathized or at least understood Noor, if her mother's death was the reason for her behavior. But as the housemaid said that Yasmin controlled Noor's evil behavior with Yasmin gone, there's no stopping her. 

Razia and Azaan treating Noor as family is not wrong, the wrong one here is Noor. There was a scene where she was donating things to poor people saying they don't have anything. Doesn't she understand that they at least work, they are not living on someone's charity. Am I being mean? Maybe but this is the way of life, even Azaan must be grateful to his mother for being there for him, you see the extent which Shaira can go for a moment of love she got from Yasmin. 

I am optimistic about Shaira and Azaan's future, at the same time I don't want Azaan to lose his friend 

No you are not mean; Noor does not value what she has and how lucky she is.  Many of us earn our living but we would not behave like her at home or when our parents supported us.  Again, the question is why Saba or Azaan are not spoilt or rude.  Even after the fire Noor berated the family, when they loved and supported her.  She wanted them to competely reject Shayra.  Due to these and other reasons we can not sympathise with Noor or accept her demands.

Azaan and Shayra have tough time ahead of them but I hope it makes their love stronger.  Azaan and Noor's friendship, what ever it is, will be tested.  I hope the love story and friendship find peace at the end, otherwise this will be just another typical serial story…

Have a great week ahead!🤗

NoraSM thumbnail

No you are not mean; Noor does not value what she has and how lucky she is.  Many of us earn our living but we would not behave like her at home or when our parents supported us.  Again, the question is why Saba or Azaan are not spoilt or rude.  Even after the fire Noor berated the family, when they loved and supported her.  She wanted them to competely reject Shayra.  Due to these and other reasons we can not sympathise with Noor or accept her demands.

Azaan and Shayra have tough time ahead of them but I hope it makes their love stronger.  Azaan and Noor's friendship, what ever it is, will be tested.  I hope the love story and friendship find peace at the end, otherwise this will be just another typical serial story…

Have a great week ahead!🤗

Thanks. 

As you said in the other post, Razia will be there for Shazaan. These two wear their hearts on their sleeves, they have to learn that not everyone deserves their affection 

fria319 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

@Bold... THISSSSSSSS. Since the beginning of the show Noor had questionable qualities already, yet it was initially written off as "childish-like" qualities (I still don't understand how thats ever a good thing for a grown woman...but ok, I accepted it), which meant that although Noor wasn't wise and mature like Shaira, that doesn't mean that she was a bad person.  

And then the fire happened and Noor's characterization just took a nosedive into the mentally unstable, dark, evil character territory.  Her behavior now just shows that she doesn't really value or respect any of her relationships with others, and therefore like you said, has very little to no humanity left. She's incredibly selfish, and they are not showing any sense of remorse or second guessing of her own actions. How does an audience member sympathize with that? And whats going on now - with Shaira being in the hospital, etc, it's just horrible. 

Edited by fria319 - 4 years ago
fria319 thumbnail
Anniversary 4 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

@Bold ... I'm torn on the friendship part of this story.  Even if they were to mend their friendship, in reality, these types of betrayals takes years to get past, even if the one at fault asked for sincere forgiveness and the one who was hurt does forgive. Noor threatened his wife.  That's a big thing.  How does Azaan even move past that? Why should he?  

Even if he does forgive (because let's face it, where's the story if he doesn't), forgiving isn't the same thing as forgetting nor does it mean that they need to have the same friendship as they once had.  (Which i also felt the writers definitely dropped the ball on showing. their friendship always seemed superficial at best, with them only knowing things about each other because they grew up together and thats what happens when you grow up with people). 

I feel like if I was his wife, I would lose a lot of respect for him, who as my husband, decided to eventually salvage a relationship with someone who wanted to steal him from me.  In the real world this makes no sense.  But I guess that will be Shaira's role - to mend the relationship between Azaan and Noor - and that's probably why they made her so soft-hearted and forgiving.  

jhalak7 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Maya was a powerful woman. Not only rich but she herself is a symbol of power. She didn't beg her love . She earned it. Yes! Tadika galad tha. But she got that by her own power. She was a very strong woman. Thus she was hot and sexy........at least many men will find her like that. She could have it. But lost it due to her psycho nature. Or else I never found her wrong. Jang aur payar mein sab kucch jayej.

Noor is a pathetic woman. Rone ki liye ho yah sone ki liye she begs to other. Very bichari and bitch type awrat. Jab jo paisa wala milte hai ussi per toot parte hai. Her mom achieved respect by which she turned servant to aunt position. But Noor proved that she is still that servant who neither deserves respect or love. In fact that Azan's cousin was much better than her.

No. There is no comparison between Maya and Noor.