Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Wisian thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: Kwerky

There are websites which upload the link to the daily episodes. You can also watch it on Voot, the OTT platform of Colors. But you'll need a VPN for that as it is geo-restricted and not open to international viewers.

I know that Voot doesnt work here and the VPN that I found places limits - so you can't download more than 2GB.

2 GB to 2 episodes mein khatm ho jaayega... :/

Would you recommend a VPN?

Wisian thumbnail

Aaah. Nimbu achaar+ dal chawal is soul food. hungry

I have never made achaar as I get it from mom whenever we visit India. Her nimbu and aam one is splendid.

On the subject of achaar, have you ever heard of 'aloo ka achaar'? My husband had a classmate in school whose mom used to make aloo ka achaar. He still recalls that taste, says it's one of the best pickles he has every had and looks for aloo achaar everywhere. πŸ˜†Never found it, of course. I even tried to trace that friend on Facebook for him but couldn't find him.

Haan, shops which stock food from S.E. Asia do have different smells owing to what they stock. It took me some time to adjust to the very strong food smells in Singapore. :) There's a fruit called durian, which is like their national fruit and a delicacy. It's banned from public transport owing to its smell. But its widely available in local markets, supermarkets....

Here is how its smell is decsribed in Wikipedia: Some people regard the durian as having a pleasantly sweet fragrance, whereas others find the aroma overpowering with an unpleasant odour. The smell evokes reactions from deep appreciation to intense disgust, and has been described variously as rotten onions, turpentine, and raw sewage. πŸ˜†

So it was a shock when I first visited a market where durian was being sold. 😳 I never mustered the courage to taste it in all the years I was there. They make ice creams, cakes, cookies etc from it, besides having it like a fruit.

Good that you found the basic staples there. 😊

I have never eaten aloo ka achaar (and if it is really the best achaar in the world, kabhi pataa chaley recipe, toh mujhe bhi bataana please!)... but I know, in the south at least, they can pickle everything! And this trend is catching up also in the north.

There is a very famous halwai ki dukaan (I am forgetting the name, I will have to ask my mother), from where we would always buy the holi-ki-gujiya (because gone are the days when my mother and I would make them ourselves!)... and last year, when I went to buy the gujiyas, I noticed that they were selling kareley ka achaar. There were plenty of other pickles too, and because of the rush, I didn't bother to survey ki kin-kin aur cheezon ke achaar bantey hain ab... the karela was strange enough, and the shopkeeper also very helpfully told me ki yeh kareley ka achaar bahut popular hai. :/

As a child, I remember my mother making galgal ka achaar, shalgam gajar, phool gobhi ka achaar, aam ka achaar... but this was really the extent of it. Pahaadon mein kathal ka achaar bhi banaatey hain. And why do I remember this? Because looked up what a durian is and notice that it looks like jackfruit (kathal), nahin?

Going by the description, I wouldn't try it either. I am very unadventurous when it comes too food. :D

Kwerky thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Wisian

I know that Voot doesnt work here and the VPN that I found places limits - so you can't download more than 2GB.

2 GB to 2 episodes mein khatm ho jaayega... :/

Would you recommend a VPN?

We use NordVPN but it's a paid subscription. A lot of free VPNs are not secure or had some other issues, so we opted for a paid one.

In case you don't want to use a paid VPN, you could try one of the third-party websites which upload all episodes of Indian channels daily. Search for them on Google when the season starts. They upload the episode in parts usually. We used to watch Bigg Boss on one of these till a few seasons back.

Not sure if I will be watching this season. Anyone knows who are the contestants this time?

Kwerky thumbnail

I have never eaten aloo ka achaar (and if it is really the best achaar in the world, kabhi pataa chaley recipe, toh mujhe bhi bataana please!)... but I know, in the south at least, they can pickle everything! And this trend is catching up also in the north.

There is a very famous halwai ki dukaan (I am forgetting the name, I will have to ask my mother), from where we would always buy the holi-ki-gujiya (because gone are the days when my mother and I would make them ourselves!)... and last year, when I went to buy the gujiyas, I noticed that they were selling kareley ka achaar. There were plenty of other pickles too, and because of the rush, I didn't bother to survey ki kin-kin aur cheezon ke achaar bantey hain ab... the karela was strange enough, and the shopkeeper also very helpfully told me ki yeh kareley ka achaar bahut popular hai. :/

As a child, I remember my mother making galgal ka achaar, shalgam gajar, phool gobhi ka achaar, aam ka achaar... but this was really the extent of it. Pahaadon mein kathal ka achaar bhi banaatey hain. And why do I remember this? Because looked up what a durian is and notice that it looks like jackfruit (kathal), nahin?

Going by the description, I wouldn't try it either. I am very unadventurous when it comes too food. :D

Yes, durian looks a lot like jackfruit. :)

I am pretty much in the same boat as far as trying food goes. πŸ˜† That's why I never tried it, specially after getting acquainted with that smell. I had a friend in Singapore who used to wait for the Durian season to arrive and would drive all the way across the city to get it from one seller. There are varieties of this fruit and people are particular about the sellers and the variety. In the season, our local supermarket used to be stocked with it and initially, it was a chore trying to shop for veggies with the durians lying around. It's usually sold open - cut and placed in styrofoam boxes, so that the buyers can see the color and smell before buying. But I could put up with it as time went by as I was the one doing grocery shopping; however my husband could never stand the smell when we went out shopping together once in a blue moon. πŸ˜†

I tried to look up the recipe online for aloo ka achaar but couldn't find the correct one. There is a Nepali dish which is called aloo ka achaar, but that's a potato sabzi, not the pickle.

Interesting..never had karele ka achaar. But I see there are a lot of vegetables being pickled now. We didn't have these when we were growing up, as you pointed out. I don't like the commercially packed pickles (like Mother's Recipe etc) much as they are very high on spices/preservatives and taste nothing like the original. The ones from a halwai or from individuals would probably be better. Never tried them though.

Kwerky thumbnail

The lock-down was knee-jerk a reaction, and completely ineffective (as the numbers tell us now).
I hope, the kitchen garden survived.

3 mahiney kisney paani diya podhon ko? My mother also grows a lot of vegetables, and she wouldn't trust another person to take over this responsibility. :D

Yes, most of the garden survived - it had overgrown grass and some plants needed pruning. My parents have tenants living on the upper floors of their home. So they requested the tenants to help with watering the plants, which they kindly did (and also helped themselves to the veggies growing in the garden, which was good). 😊

I can understand your mother's situation. Even though the tenants were watering the plants whenever they got time, my father was worried. :D

Kwerky thumbnail

Has anyone seen this series on Amazon Prime called Bandish Bandits?

Wisian thumbnail

Has anyone seen this series on Amazon Prime called Bandish Bandits?

I started... Hero ugly hai. :/ ... so I gave up after the first episode. :(

I went back to watching Mrs Maisel... She is pretty, and costumes keep me fascinated. :)

Wisian thumbnail

But --- all chatter --- about everything else is irrelevant today... It is not yet past the mid-night hour where I am, but it is where you are...

So, let me start...

Wisian thumbnail

Now, this is valid of course...

Edited by Wisian - 4 years ago
Wisian thumbnail

... but if it is Kwerky we are talking about, the answer should be self-evident...

Is there anyone more special on this thread, huh? 😎