Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: sowmyaa

Agree. However, becuase of what Bush did we can't sympathize Saddam. Saddam's fate and deeds should not get pitty for someone else's deeds.

I am not sympathizing with Saddam. Please check my previous post. But I feel the timing was just not right. The execution had some ulterior motive just like invasion of Iraq. Saddam should have been allowed to rot in prison. He should have been made to suffer. Hanging was an easy way out for him. I still am not clear about the logic behind this sudden execution and what was he under trial for? The Sunni and Shia sects in Iraq are so divided after this incident that I wouldn't be surprised if we see another Taliban arising in Iraq.

I would like to see Bush too trialed soon because he is also guilty of similar charges.

Originally posted by: Awww

My personal view - Rather then hanging someone to death, just test products on the person . You know when they make new shampoo, make up, meds, why not just try on them.😕 

Actually you have a point there😊. Why not test new products on them instead of poor animals? At least that would do some good to mankind and to those poor Monkeys and Rats.

sareg thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maya_M

Actually you have a point there😊. Why not test new products on them instead of poor animals? At least that would do some good to mankind and to those poor Monkeys and Rats.

That is against Human rights I think

Anyway Saddam and people of his type have a hardened skin, not like normal human😉, that is b'cos of what they are or how they got there, depends on which version you choose to beleive😃

Beware of what you ask for, you maynot like what you actually get.(I mean the cosmetic products after  testing on people like Saddam😆)

Edited by sareg - 17 years ago
mermaid_QT thumbnail
I debated with myself and was unable to pick a side. Hence posting my thoughts after 6 pages and am still undecided.

1) Saddam was ruthless to Shi-ites. He deserved severe punishment - a death sentence.
2) Any form and supporter of terrorism needs to be extracted from the society and he surely was an anti-social element that should have been iradicated at some point.

However,
1) Iraq was not involved in 9/11 as US claimed before attacking Iraq - not a very human action
2) During the Iran Iraq war, US empowered Saddam, and parallely created Taliban during the cold war, which recently came around and bit us from behind 🤢.
Rise of Saddam and resultant torture of Shiites in Iraq was initially supported by who?  What punishment do the rest get?
3) If it was a war against terrrorism and since Saddam was a monster, one could have either shot him down / tortured him slowly to death, why the trial in the first place?
4) He did not deserve a trial. I couldn't care lesser if it was an biassed / unbiassed trial, because for treating a terrorist, nothing in unfair. Yet, he was legally given a death sentence - death by hanging. 
In that case, what I do not support is

a) his execution to be video-taped.
b) his last words to be mocked at / ridiculed.
c) the sentencing guards ill-treating the dying man

Such behaviour adds oil to the fire. They may be handful, but Saddam had avid supporters.  Such acts make worse and stronger terrorists out of those who worship him.  We cannot hunt down each one of them.  It is not about what he deserved. It is about what the living people people deserve in our future. We undeniably need no more terrorism than we have now.

mqt
Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
sareg thumbnail
MQT, I do not think the taping was intentional, they are stupid but not that stupid to let that happen knowingly, this is almost suicidal, this is going to cost some soldiers their lives unneccasarily 😭
mermaid_QT thumbnail
I agree with you sareg, that it was unintentional though incredibly stupid!

The least the media should have done was not to show it over and over again on every news telecast.

On second thoughts, I guess it was too late to control it anyway! I did not believe my eyes when they showed it. For the first time, I felt sad even for the man, who had always been a monster in my mind. Such images can be very moving and confusing for overly emotional fools such as myself.
Swar_Raj thumbnail
He should have been killed, why keep a monster alive and feed him even in prison, but this monster was a creation of US same as Taliban was its creation. SO both are being destroyed by its creater or helper or supporter, what ever you may call it. Now the question is , which other nation is getting full support of US which will again have same fate as it is becoming a history for US..support and then destroy 🤢

Originally posted by: sareg

MQT, I do not think the taping was intentional, they are stupid but not that stupid to let that happen knowingly, this is almost suicidal, this is going to cost some soldiers their lives unneccasarily 😭

The taping was intentional to keep the proof that it was indeed Saddam who was hanged. But the videos which are out might not be the official one.

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

For the first time, I felt sad even for the man, who had always been a monster in my mind. Such images can be very moving and confusing for overly emotional fools such as myself.

QT, Exactly my feelings. My thoughts after watching the video was if a man till the end was so confident and didn't repent his wrongdoings then at some point he was correct, at least he believed he was. I know I am being an emotional fool. I still disagree with the logic behind his execution and trial and worse was the timing. The mighty America gets away with everything.

bhilwara thumbnail
A very valid disagreement with Iraq Invasion has been transformed into undeserved sympathy towards Saddam!
And now this news story. Very sad!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1246052,00.html
The Indian girl, a 15-year-old called Moon Moon from a town near Kolkata, also hanged herself after watching footage of Saddam's execution, it was reported.
"She said they had hanged a patriot. We didn't take her seriously when she told us that she wanted to feel the pain Saddam did during the execution," the girl's father told the AFP news agency.
He said his daughter became depressed after watching Saddam's execution.
"She kept watching the scene over and again and didn't take food on Saturday and Sunday to protest the hanging," he said.