The Radha-Krishna dynamic

AreYaar thumbnail
Posted: 5 years ago
Have been quite enjoying the show since it's debut, in particular the multi-layered Radha-Krishna dynamic and interactions, the way they are presented in a poetic narrative, a bit reminiscent of watching a stage play. 

What I've managed to gather so far is that Krisha is positioned in such a way in the story that he alone is aware of the truth, is all knowing, divine...has many shades to his personality from the mischievous to the clever, to the playful. As a result, he is better positioned to smile or get emotional in any scene as per the scene demands cuz he is the center of each scene and the story itself...

Radha on the other hand, is currently at a bit of a disadvantage...she has no memory of her past, her truth...in her current human form, she is simply a bright, playful teenage girl who happens to come across this guy who evokes such emotion in her that her eyes well up with tears simply by looking at him...she feels a connection to him and she cannot understand why...the confusion instantly gives rise to irritation, she feels the need to instantly dismiss him as a "Mayavi", an illusionist, a trickster pulling her into illusions and messing with her head...so she is mostly/constantly irritated with Krishna. And that is their dynamic for now...he also enjoys talking to her in riddles she doesn't get and is both amused by her irritation and alternatingly sad as well that she doesn't remember him...the irritation is a way to get a reaction out of her...and he succeeds every time, given the wily one he isπŸ˜†

I personally feel the casting is very good for both Krishna and Radha...Sumedh ofcourse is doing a charming job as Krishna, capturing his various shades and doing justice to themπŸ‘, but I must appreciate Malika as well for portraying a good balance of innocence as well as emotion...there is not as much range for her to play with yet since she is mostly portraying Radha's petulance or irritation and reacting to Krishna. But I feel she does a good job of those moments when Radha is lost in Krishna's eyes and feels the soul connection/emotion b/w them...Malika portrays that quite nicely...the scene below is a good example

I also like that Radha has a mind and will of her own...she isn't just a simpering village belle...she asserts herself, her will and questions Krishna directly many times. It's another matter that he is a master at games and outwits everyone around him pretty easilyπŸ˜†

Despite the presence of the cliched Jatila and Ayan for drama, I find the show savorable for the way the Radha-Krishna dynamic is being slowly built up with drawn out interactions. Hope the makers can continue on this track cuz there is plenty to work with given how metaphysical the connection b/w Radha and Krishna is. 

P.S. A special mention for the cinematography of the show as well...I loved the song intro for Radha especially...capturing her combo of carefree innocence and playfulness 

Edited by AreYaar - 5 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

J2lover thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
    You summarized it quite precisely! Adding to conclusion i feel, the story is metaphorical to a puppet show!πŸ˜† Where in, krishna is the just sitting upstairs, smiling, having fun, just to pass these 100 years, waiting for his radha, to remember everything and all are his puppets(except balram maybe!πŸ˜†) including radha!πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† 
Such an OUTSTANDING MASTERMIND he is!😎

But for me the USP of the show is, which i usually don't see on television, and definately not in krishna's stories, is that, Sumedh's krishna, LIKES TO 'PLAY THE FOOL'!πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† Normally, we would see, how a lover makes all efforts and shows off  his HEROISM just  to  IMPRESS his LADYLOVE! On the contrary, here, the guy is leaving no stone unturned to be the MOST ATROCIOUS 'VILLAIN' IN HIS LADYLOVE'S LIFE!πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† HE's making all the efforts to make himself look a manipulative, shrewd, cowardice, guy next door!πŸ˜†

Though i would appreciate, if they show different dimensions to the storyline! Right now, there is a lot to play with, but if they utilize all the characters, and make them catalysts in the love story, then i personally think, they would have a lot of fodder to work with,more the characters, more would be, each character's TAKE on Radha-krishna and by that i don't mean, the cliched villain formula has to be used!πŸ₯± 

I mean come on,'POSITIVITY CAN DO MAGIC IN MYTHO-FICTIONS, ESPECIALLY, WHEN THE LOVE STORY IS ONE OF ITS KIND, "THE CLASSIC ONE"❀️❀️❀️
Edited by J2lover - 5 years ago
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: J2lover

You summarized it quite precisely! Adding to conclusion i feel, the story is metaphorical to a puppet show!πŸ˜† Where in, krishna is the just sitting upstairs, smiling, having fun, just to pass these 100 years, waiting for his radha, to remember everything and all are his puppets(except balram maybe!πŸ˜†) including radha!πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† 

Such an OUTSTANDING MASTERMIND he is!😎

But for me the USP of the show is, which i usually don't see on television, and definately not in krishna's stories, is that, Sumedh's krishna, LIKES TO 'PLAY THE FOOL'!πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† Normally, we would see, how a lover makes all efforts and shows off  his HEROISM just  to  IMPRESS his LADYLOVE! On the contrary, here, the guy is leaving no stone unturned to be the MOST ATROCIOUS 'VILLAIN' IN HIS LADYLOVE'S LIFE!πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† HE's making all the efforts to make himself look a manipulative, shrewd, cowardice, guy next door!πŸ˜†

Though i would appreciate, if they show different dimensions to the storyline! Right now, there is a lot to play with, but if they utilize all the characters, and make them catalysts in the love story, then i personally think, they would have a lot of fodder to work with,more the characters, more would be, each character's TAKE on Radha-krishna and by that i don't mean, the cliched villain formula has to be used!πŸ₯± 

I mean come on,'POSITIVITY CAN DO MAGIC IN MYTHO-FICTIONS, ESPECIALLY, WHEN THE LOVE STORY IS ONE OF ITS KIND, "THE CLASSIC ONE"❀️❀️❀️

Thank you for your response...this forum is quite dead otherwise so it's nice to see some fodder for discussionπŸ˜†

You make some good points as well. There is deffo the puppetmaster quality to all this cuz well, Krishna always has been the ultimate puppetmaster character in Hindu mythology...most notably for the part he played in bringing about the Mahabharat. 

For the purpose of this story with Radha, he is yet again in that dual role of the puppetmaster who is aware of the larger truth but has to pretend to be a character in the story as well for the purpose of moving it forwardπŸ˜†...and that is what keeps the story interesting...Krishna is Divine...he knows the future, the past, the present...he can stop time with a snap of his fingerπŸ˜†...he is God himself...and yet, for the purpose of this chapter, he must let the curse play out...he won't force Radha to remember the truth...he will let the journey continue however long it may need for the higher purpose to be achieved...which is to teach humankind about love through his and Radha's example. At the same time, his emotions are involved and they humanize him in those moments where he feels so moved simply over Radha speaking his name...it is that spiritual connection that elevates their bond. And it's so rare to see that in stories these days...a show exploring that kind of bond is definitely interesting. 

And yes, as you said, Krishna is not trying to play the hero...instead, he is portraying himself as a weak, cowardly guy in front of Radha...but I think it's all part of his games to be able to keep himself around Radha while at the same time not divulging enough for her to know his truth...as he says again and again, she is not yet ready to UNDERSTAND the truth...for the truth is that he is all powerful and divine...but he can't tell her that yet cuz she isn't ready...so instead he plays games...cuz that is KrishnaπŸ˜†...he has to have his fun with everything...ten steps ahead of everyone and keeping them guessing about who he really is. 

It is quite amusing to see Krishna nudging all of the characters along like chess pieces into doing what he wants...whether it's tricking his parents into heading to Barsana, tricking Ayan into not telling Radha that she is the girl Krishna loves, or most recently, tricking Radha into becoming friends with him over the flimsy excuse of needing her to teach him danceπŸ˜†...and it's hilarious to see them all falling for it...he never fails to push the right buttons and they all land precisely where he wants them to...his amused smirks are half the fun in every scene...

Another reason I think they are showing Krishna like this is cuz this is a teenage version of him...he is not yet the powerful King of Dwarka that he will become later on...right now, he is simply a mischievous BOY for the sake of the story...so he has a bit more child-like demeanor than adult Krishna would...

What I find fascinating though is Sumedh's ability to play both the teenage boyish side of Krishna with the way he will throw tantrums in front of Radha just to mess with her and then the ability to suddenly portray a much more mature Krishna talking of wordly wisdom. The power shift shows in his eyes and body language in such instances and it's quite well done, and in those moments you remember that boyish though he looks, this is ultimately an all knowing God. 

I think this scene is a good example of that shift...initially he pretends to be "scared" of Radha brandishing a danda in his face...and then he coolly nudges it to the side with his fluteπŸ˜†

TheGirlofRagas thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 6 Thumbnail + 4
Nice description of the characters by you. Keep making posts here
What's your name?
Btw I am Kosha
Viswasruti thumbnail
Awesome post with a well-described characterization and the selection of the actors, and their ability while portraying as Radha and Krishna in different scenes with great efficiency !! I loved the way you pointed out and projected Mallika's expressions in different scenes as Radha ! Very good analysis .πŸ‘ 
I am Madhuri , happy to meet you here !πŸ€— 

J2lover thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: AreYaar

Thank you for your response...this forum is quite dead otherwise so it's nice to see some fodder for discussionπŸ˜†

You make some good points as well. There is deffo the puppetmaster quality to all this cuz well, Krishna always has been the ultimate puppetmaster character in Hindu mythology...most notably for the part he played in bringing about the Mahabharat. 

For the purpose of this story with Radha, he is yet again in that dual role of the puppetmaster who is aware of the larger truth but has to pretend to be a character in the story as well for the purpose of moving it forwardπŸ˜†...and that is what keeps the story interesting...Krishna is Divine...he knows the future, the past, the present...he can stop time with a snap of his fingerπŸ˜†...he is God himself...and yet, for the purpose of this chapter, he must let the curse play out...he won't force Radha to remember the truth...he will let the journey continue however long it may need for the higher purpose to be achieved...which is to teach humankind about love through his and Radha's example. At the same time, his emotions are involved and they humanize him in those moments where he feels so moved simply over Radha speaking his name...it is that spiritual connection that elevates their bond. And it's so rare to see that in stories these days...a show exploring that kind of bond is definitely interesting. 

And yes, as you said, Krishna is not trying to play the hero...instead, he is portraying himself as a weak, cowardly guy in front of Radha...but I think it's all part of his games to be able to keep himself around Radha while at the same time not divulging enough for her to know his truth...as he says again and again, she is not yet ready to UNDERSTAND the truth...for the truth is that he is all powerful and divine...but he can't tell her that yet cuz she isn't ready...so instead he plays games...cuz that is KrishnaπŸ˜†...he has to have his fun with everything...ten steps ahead of everyone and keeping them guessing about who he really is. 

It is quite amusing to see Krishna nudging all of the characters along like chess pieces into doing what he wants...whether it's tricking his parents into heading to Barsana, tricking Ayan into not telling Radha that she is the girl Krishna loves, or most recently, tricking Radha into becoming friends with him over the flimsy excuse of needing her to teach him danceπŸ˜†...and it's hilarious to see them all falling for it...he never fails to push the right buttons and they all land precisely where he wants them to...his amused smirks are half the fun in every scene...

Another reason I think they are showing Krishna like this is cuz this is a teenage version of him...he is not yet the powerful King of Dwarka that he will become later on...right now, he is simply a mischievous BOY for the sake of the story...so he has a bit more child-like demeanor than adult Krishna would...

What I find fascinating though is Sumedh's ability to play both the teenage boyish side of Krishna with the way he will throw tantrums in front of Radha just to mess with her and then the ability to suddenly portray a much more mature Krishna talking of wordly wisdom. The power shift shows in his eyes and body language in such instances and it's quite well done, and in those moments you remember that boyish though he looks, this is ultimately an all knowing God. 

I think this scene is a good example of that shift...initially he pretends to be "scared" of Radha brandishing a danda in his face...and then he coolly nudges it to the side with his fluteπŸ˜†

@bold: You know, this is ONE thought, that always makes me curious! At the start of the show itself, they made it clear, that the curse would last for 100 years! But, how would the duration of 100 years, would be potrayed in the show??!! Unless, krishna doesn't fast-forward time of course!πŸ˜† But, going by the normal rules, they would have to show, life of krishna, after kans-vadh, which i highly doubt would take place! So, yeah, that's one mystery i would love to unfold!

At the same time, his emotions are involved and they humanize him in those moments where he feels so moved simply over Radha speaking his name..

@red:  Damn, sumedhs's krishna, ONLY AND ONLY convey through eyes! Humanizing HIM is such a joy to watch! You, instantly feel the connect with him! In the scene where radha utters his name for the first time, i got chills, watching his expressions! The PAIN of a heartbroken lover, yearning for his ladylove to remember him! In that moment, he was just KRISHNA,Vulnerable like any other human, not the ALMIGHTY GOD! I was waiting for such a krishna potrayal on indian television, since so long! That's one of the reasons, out of all the calender art verisons of krishna showcased in other shows, this one stands out!😳

@green:  Ohh, i must accept, i fell for sumedh, since the start of radha-krishna!πŸ˜†πŸ˜³ He evokes an emotion in the audience, watching him, forget RADHA then!πŸ˜† If i was radha, and such a marshmellow was looking at me, with those extra-cute eyes, i would have already pretended to remember everything!πŸ˜†πŸ˜³πŸ˜†

Edited by J2lover - 5 years ago
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: musicalstorm

Nice description of the characters by you. Keep making posts here

What's your name?
Btw I am Kosha

Originally posted by: Viswasruti

Awesome post with a well-described characterization and the selection of the actors, and their ability while portraying as Radha and Krishna in different scenes with great efficiency !! I loved the way you pointed out and projected Mallika's expressions in different scenes as Radha ! Very good analysis .πŸ‘ 

I am Madhuri , happy to meet you here !πŸ€— 

Thank you, Kosha and Madhuri :) I'm Anu...happy to meet you here as well :) Enjoying reading the various discussions in the forum so far...the show is providing some good content to analyze :) 
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: J2lover

@bold: You know, this is ONE thought, that always makes me curious! At the start of the show itself, they made it clear, that the curse would last for 100 years! But, how would the duration of 100 years, would be potrayed in the show??!! Unless, krishna doesn't fast-forward time of course!πŸ˜† But, going by the normal rules, they would have to show, life of krishna, after kans-vadh, which i highly doubt would take place! So, yeah, that's one mystery i would love to unfold!

Oh is it? I thought that the duration of the curse was with regards to when they will be born on earth...maybe I misunderstood itπŸ˜†...I thought the 100 years meant that's how long it would take for them to be born into their human forms and then meet...the rest of the story will be about the time it will take for Radha to remember him and their love again...whatever little I've read about the show seems to indicate they will keep their focus on these teenage versions of Radha-Krishna for the most part and won't foray into the Dwarka phase of Krishna's life...but let's see how they go. 

@red:  Damn, sumedhs's krishna, ONLY AND ONLY convey through eyes! Humanizing HIM is such a joy to watch! You, instantly feel the connect with him! In the scene where radha utters his name for the first time, i got chills, watching his expressions! The PAIN of a heartbroken lover, yearning for his ladylove to remember him! In that moment, he was just KRISHNA,Vulnerable like any other human, not the ALMIGHTY GOD! I was waiting for such a krishna potrayal on indian television, since so long! That's one of the reasons, out of all the calender art verisons of krishna showcased in other shows, this one stands out!😳

Yes, I agree this is definitely a hatke portrayal of Krishna on TV...most shows either focus on his childhood adventures as a kid or the more adult parts of his life vis a vis Dwarka and the Mahabharat phase...I haven't heard of many shows/movies focusing on the Radha-Krishna phase extensively...it's always just mentioned as a small but significant chapter of his life and then the story moves on to the other big causes he was involved in...so the writers do have a lot to play with here in terms of filling in the gaps...

The all important basic question that very few narratives try to answer...Radha is worshipped with Krishna everywhere as an ideal of love...then why is so little known about their story? Why and how did they become an ideal of love that is worshipped in the same breath everywhere? That is what the writers can try to answer here I suppose by building up on the way their human avatars faced all these struggles for their love...no great love proves itself without going through many hardships...that seems to be the case with Radha-Krishna as well. 

I totally agree about Sumedh's expressions in those scenes when you feel Krishna's heartbreak even as he smiles through his tears while watching Radha...it's beautifully done πŸ‘

This scene is one of my fav. examples of that

And this one as well

@green:  Ohh, i must accept, i fell for sumedh, since the start of radha-krishna!πŸ˜†πŸ˜³ He evokes an emotion in the audience, watching him, forget RADHA then!πŸ˜† If i was radha, and such a marshmellow was looking at me, with those extra-cute eyes, i would have already pretended to remember everything!πŸ˜†πŸ˜³πŸ˜†

Haha Radha does end up melting many times...that is why she gets irritated with herself and him cuz she doesn't understand why she melts and it confuses herπŸ˜†...we all fear the unknown, that which we cannot understand...that is Radha's state right now...

This is a lovely metaphor they are using...of Love as a kind of Enlightenment...like Radha didn't open her eyes on Earth until she saw Krishna in front of her...the closed eyes are a metaphor for a soul who hasn't yet reached enlightenment...Radha physically opened her eyes that day...but her soul is yet to be enlightened...that is why she still struggles...Krishna is using love as that instrument of enlightenment to show her as well as all mankind that only when you understand love, experience true love is when you achieve that enlightenment and feeling of being one with God...

Edited by AreYaar - 5 years ago
AreYaar thumbnail
A few more things I'm really enjoying about the show:

1) The soundtrack...love the themes they are using for the RK scenes...especially the main "Tum preet ho, manmeet ho" song...such a nice tune and so sweetly sung...the way they used it in the first RK meeting scene when Krishna stops time and walks through the crowd to see Radha was just brilliant πŸ‘

2) Radha wearing floral jewelery instead of the usual gold/precious stones also gives her a more earthy touch...and I like that it's a continuation of the last RK scene in Golok...when Krishna was adorning Radha with floral jewelery in their final moments together and removes that one lock of hair to fall over her cheek...the way that continuation was kept into Radha's human form is a nice thought on the part of the writers and adds depth to the whole depiction.  And since then, they've shown Radha getting showered with flowers as a part of her introduction also...just makes for a lovely aesthetic as well IMO :) 

Also, I like how they try to keep RK color co-ordinated in their outfits...haha like they both wear yellows, blues and greens simultaneously.
ShinySparkle thumbnail
Thank you for making this post Anu !! πŸ˜Š

I so very agree with all of you, forum mates. This particular show has it's own uniqueness. I love it for more than a thousand reasons already...

I ship both Mallika and Sumedh aka RadhaKrishn as a couple already...even though the love story is yet to begin...from both the sides ofcourse. πŸ˜† 
They both are the most most perfect choice for both Radha and Krishn's roles...no one could have acted better...they are actually living their roles. People are appreciating Sumedh but what about Mallika. Sumedh is amazing as Krishn but even Mallika is amazing as Radha. That too is difficult what she has been doing as Radha...πŸ‘β­οΈ

I love the show's concept, story line, characters, grand sets, costumes, music, actors and their chemistry.

I don't care whether what they're showing is fictional or non-fictional. I have loved the overall setup of each and every single character and the way they've been depicted, until now. 

Frankly speaking, all of my tiredness goes away when I watch a single episode of this show...Sumedh performing as Krishn is a blessing to watch onscreen and Mallika is so so bubbly and charming as Radha β€οΈβ€οΈ

So far I have no single complaint against anything as a viewer as I am completely immersed and am enjoying each and every scene, be it Jatila and Ayan too...love their acting as well...πŸ˜†
Edited by ShinySparkle - 5 years ago