Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

savie thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
completely agree with buffie -hats off for such a wonderful topic 👏 👏 and mythilli - u r the best explainer or debator i can say in DM. 😳
AB soesn't deserve this award...haan his voice and struggling time can b taken as an example but not him as whole, what he did? he did nothing NULL.

savie thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
insouciance thumbnail

Here's AB's intvw

On bended knee, with bowed head I salute them'

...says Amitabh Bachchan, humbled by the affection of the Indian people who voted him Indian of the Year for the second consecutive year in the TOI-TNS poll

SUBHASH K JHA Times News Network 

You've been named 'Indian Of The Year' second year in a row. Is that an honour or a responsibility for you?

• A great honour and an even greater responsibility! I feel blessed and humbled. It is God's kindness and largesse and the prayers and wishes of my parents. I feel proud that I could live up to what every parent expects of the child and I'm elated by the affection of the people of this country. I am numbed by their love. That they still hold me so close to their hearts is indeed a miracle. On bended knee and with bowed head I salute them.

And the responsibility that comes with the honour?

• The responsibility is to continue to live up to the expectations of the masses. A tough task and a huge struggle. But what would life be without it? So, one labours on, buoyed by the people's verdict. Thank you, India! You give me strength to live another day with pride.

To be voted far higher than icons, living and dead, from other walks of life, proves your appeal has gone far beyond the entertainment world.

Yes, this is an unimaginable dream. Both 'Indian of the Year' and 'Entertainer of the Year'! A dream one would honestly, never want to come out of. But all good things have to come to an end. The cycle of life with its unstoppable wheel in perpetual motion, moves on. We all clamour to get on to it and ride it. Many will race to catch it. Many will climb it and slip off. Some shall successfully mount and ride it, momentarily perhaps. Eventually we all get thrown off, tired and bruised. But life moves on ruthlessly, inviting and tempting fresh candidates for success. So… one savours the moments of glory and joy and rides on with the wind in our face and in our hair and the essence of beautiful flowers in our nostrils.

What does the term 'Indian Of The Year' entail? Do such astounding honours make you acutely conscious of your public conduct?

• We are all 'Indians of the Year'. Proud of our Motherland. Devoted and committed to it with our blood sweat and tears. Every human possesses a gift of nature and life. All are equal. No one is superior to the other. Each one of us has something that the other doesn't. Uniquely therefore each one of us has the capacity to excel. This is the potential of every Indian and this is the potential that we must channelise to contribute to life, society, and to our country. If these fundamentals are in place, we do not need to be conscious of our public conduct.

2006 has been a tumultuous year for you. It started with your shocking illness. There were numerous controversies and speculation regarding you and your family. How did you cope with the constant onslaught on your private space?

• As I said earlier, life tests and examines all of us. That is why we are all here. Without the trials, there really would be no need for us to be living. We might as well be in heaven or hell, whatever our record may dictate. Being a celebrity or a public figure entails controversies and speculation. This is a given. You wouldn't be one if they were non- existent. So, acknowledging this constant in your life you cope. Some you acknowledge and face, others you ignore and dispel. Yes, your private space is private, but perhaps not as pronounced as in other individuals. But I strongly believe that if one wants to keep his private space private, it is possible for him to do that. And many do.

There was insatiable curiosity to know details about your family?

• Curiosity is a very natural and normal human trait. Feeding that curiosity is a very normal and natural professional trait. You cannot deny it or lock yourself away from it. You must learn to exist with it. If you cannot, then either succumb to it or stop being a celebrity. Quite simple, really. Personally, I was born into a celebrated family. My father was a million times bigger than I was and ever will be. So I grew into it and was proud of it. Many however, including yours truly, crave for recognition and when it comes, crave only for it to be positive. That's not going to happen. Negativity shall also prevail. Welcome it and use it for self-improvement. Sometimes the harshness of criticism is difficult to bear. But, find some goodness in the severest of circumstances and you will discover the impact of the negative has lessened.

There's an ongoing media circus regarding Abhishek's marriage to Aishwarya Rai. Your thoughts on this much-debated issue?

• 'Media circus'! You have yourself described the issue adequately. There is no necessity for any debate on the issue. The ghoulish curiosity to bring about an alliance between Abhishek and Ms Rai has now touched hysteria. Babas and astrologers are speculating on your health vis-a-vis the alliance. 'Curiosity', 'speculation', 'controversy'... if you have reached this far in the interview, surely you must be tired of my responses on these issues.

Your comments on Abhishek's career headway in 2006?

• Win some..lose one! He had two stupendously successful projects, KANK and Dhoom2 in two diametrically opposite genres. And he had one not-so-successful project in Umrao Jaan. And let's not forget Abhishek had a guest appearance in one of the biggest hits of the year Lage Raho…Munnabhai.

Jaya is suddenly very active as an actor? Happy?

• Yes... and she is too!

Finally... what according to you will be the highlights for you and your family in 2007?

• For predictions you will have to go back to the "ghoulish babas and astrologers" you so fondly referred to earlier!

Whatever said and done,AB's humility bowls us over😃

Edited by Buffie - 17 years ago
Swar_Raj thumbnail
Buffie, he has to be humble or else same people who vote for him can throw him out too. He will always be very humble as public figure. Nothing against him, love him as actor but these kind of interviews do not impress me
insouciance thumbnail

Originally posted by: Swar_Raj

Buffie, he has to be humble or else same people who vote for him can throw him out too. He will always be very humble as public figure. Nothing against him, love him as actor but these kind of interviews do not impress me

I dont blame him lol...He was born under a bright star,became a superstar,and has attained a demi god status...I dont blame him per se for anything,just the asinine people who vote for him

I find him humble,in real life too..I've met him once,I didnt speak a word,as I was so intimidated by his sheer presence and aura,but he is the ONLY star,who treats EVERYONE equally,be it a bigwig,or a small child who is his fan,or someone belonging to the lower echelon of the society..😊...After him comes John Abraham,another incredibly down to earth and affable actor.....

Swar_Raj thumbnail
Buffie he comes from a elegant family. Harivansh ji was national poet. So he is nutured with humble ness. I am not saying he is not humble. Actually most of them are humble. I have met SRk and lata mangesker, they were too polite too. When you come as public figure, you have to be humble. For AB I yet have to see what he does for India besides giving us wonderful acting. He made millions and lost them and got it back now with his skills. It is interviews that these people give , it never impresses me. Even Govinda has done more for country just besides acting. I may be ignorant as I really donot follow these stars much. But I really have not seen good contribution from him towards any hospitals or kargil or tsunami. I am sorry if i missed it out.
insouciance thumbnail
That's what I'm saying 😆 ...AB hasnt done anything for the country,thus he is NOT WORTHY of this honour 🤢

But,I wouldnt blame him for accepting it,that too when done with so much humility...The fact that he isnt deserving is another thing altogether,but I do applaud him for the humility with which he carries himself,despite being the country's biggest superstar EVER!

ON a lighter note,Hope AB Jr and Ash dont marry,they are mismatched,and dont suit each other 😭 She is too good looking compared to him,and he is too affable compared to her
Swar_Raj thumbnail

Originally posted by: Buffie

That's what I'm saying 😆 ...AB hasnt done anything for the country,thus he is NOT WORTHY of this honour 🤢

But,I wouldnt blame him for accepting it,that too when done with so much humility...The fact that he isnt deserving is another thing altogether,but I do applaud him for the humility with which he carries himself,despite being the country's biggest superstar EVER!

ON a lighter note,Hope AB Jr and Ash dont marry,they are mismatched,and dont suit each other 😭 She is too good looking compared to him,and he is too affable compared to her

I will be over humble to receive it too Buffie😆😆 It is a great honor👏👏

Abhi Aish will not survive for long. Unlike jaya aish is more demanding and ambitious and Abhi thinks superior of himself😛

Morgoth thumbnail
Amitabh being called "Indian of the Year" is equivalent to his would-be non-commital bahu being called the "Most Beautiful woman in the world".
lighthouse thumbnail

Buffie..!!! another great post from a skilled writer like youself..

Granted AB's popularity reaches across all demographics and I would have blamed lack of literacy among voters for ignoring more deserving candidates for the IOY award (if there is such a person? 😕 ) but presumably TOI readers and the users of SMS are educated/sophisticated ppl and for them to consider AB more worthy then anyone you have mentioned is apalling.

I don't think AB should have accepted it. but I am not bothered as it is not a Bharat Ratna or Noble prize.