Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 17 years ago

100% agree with buffie & mythili.

Problem is that sooo many ppl dont even know ppl like Indrani, Kiran Desai etc.these type of ppl r in the majority but AB is well known even within totally backward & illiterate ppl.so these type of polls are totally baseless or we can say based on less knowlegde. as mythili said we cant choose one person as "Indian of the year" bcz each person  has achieved something in their own feild which we cant compare.

Edited by Rajeev Ki Heer - 17 years ago
datspreets thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
There are people from other fields who deserve this award more. We truly are celebrity struck nation!

I am an AB fan, but this totally came as a shock.I am not happy with the choice. 😑

There are so many awards for bollywood celebrities, why should they win here too?!
Swar_Raj thumbnail
I never thought I would say that but if any one really deserve it then it is Lalu Prasad. We all know how unfit he is to represent country but see what he has done. Railway always running in loss is making profit which is increased this year. Scholars from all over diffrent countries are coming to educate themselves by him. I am really impressed by him now.
GO Lallu GO πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘
breathing_irony thumbnail

Originally posted by: Swar_Raj

I never thought I would say that but if any one really deserve it then it is Lalu Prasad. We all know how unfit he is to represent country but see what he has done. Railway always running in loss is making profit which is increased this year. Scholars from all over diffrent countries are coming to educate themselves by him. I am really impressed by him now.

wait  sec...a lot of the profits from the railway industry have to do with innovative accountingπŸ˜‰----wouldnt fulyl trust Lalu!!

Swar_Raj thumbnail
OK. but see how he has done it..read this article and a review down. Not sure if you know that scholars from UK, US have literlly gone to seek his advise on budget.
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/ew/2005/03/07/stories/20 05030700090400.htm    WORTH READING

Review article

NEW DELHI, JULY 6. Railway Minister Lalu Prasad's maiden budget today won kudos from all sections of society here. Praising the Minister for not raising passenger fares and freight rates, people in the Capital expressed satisfaction that Mr. Yadav had promised to look seriously into the safety aspect of the Indian Railways and hoped that he would deliver. They also admired Mr. Yadav's concern for the unemployed youth, war widows and other vulnerable sections of society by announcing sops for them.

Lauding the introduction of new trains and increase in the frequency of popular trains, people said all this would greatly help migrant workers who had to take uncomfortable long journeys to their ancestral towns and villages. "The introduction of tourist trains - Village-on-Wheels, promoting use of 'khadi' and fresh dairy products in place of junk food and drinks are three things that will bring a positive change in our railway system," they remarked.

"Nobody had expected that fares would remain unchanged. We thought that at least fares of higher classes would go up. But Mr. Yadav has understood the people's sentiments well by keeping fares unchanged. Similarly, an increase in freight rates could have resulted in hike in prices of essential commodities. But here too the Minister had scored a point by not hiking the charges. Political analysts might call it a populist Budget, but the fact is that Mr. Prasad has done what he is good at - respecting people's wishes," commented publisher Pawan Tiwari.

Another person who is happy with the Railway Minister is R.N. Dubey, a native from Bihar who lives in Laxmi Nagar. "By increasing the frequency of popular trains and introducing new trains in heavy passenger traffic segments, Mr. Yadav has also addressed the problems of those who earn their living in Delhi or in other State Capitals and visit their native States frequently. Now they can enjoy comfortable journey. Similarly, the introduction of 'Village-on-Wheels', a tourist train for the common man, will become a viable mode of transport for those visiting places of religious and historical importance," he remarked.

Similarly, students were also surprised by Mr. Yadav's announcement of free second-class travel for educated unemployed youth going to appear for some interview or test for job. "For the first time a Railway Minister has shown concern for the unemployed youth. It is a great gesture that will give financial relief to parents of students with low earnings. Also, the major concession to war widows and widows of defence personnel killed in action against terrorists and extremists is a commendable step. It is good way to honour our war heroes," said Pooja, a postgraduate student in Delhi University.

Daily women passengers are also happy over special security measures to be taken on trains to ensure their safety. "There are several working women who daily take local trains to the neighbouring towns in Uttar Pradesh and Haryana, and banning entry of unauthorised vendors in ladies compartment and deployment of lady ticket checking squad will make travel safe and secure for us," said Yojana, a media consultant who lives in Ghaziabad and catches the EMU train everyday to reach her office in Delhi.

Edited by Swar_Raj - 17 years ago
Swar_Raj thumbnail

And breathing irony, i don't mean to spam the thread with lalu but see how the scholars are coming from different countires. He has proved his skill of being an effective minister and better then our so called leaders Specially Sonia 🀒

and I am not there fan at allπŸ˜›

Now US students come calling to hear Lalu

RAGHVENDRA RAO
Posted online: Thursday, December 21, 2006 at 1052 hours IST

http://www.financialexpress.com/latest_full_story.php?conten t_id=149527

NEW DELHI, DECEMBER 21: The Great Railway Turnaround Story seems to have become a fable, and its author an international management guru.
Having shared the tale of how he pulled back the Indian Railways from impending doom into a likely Rs 2,000 crore profit for this year with IIM-Ahmedabad students, Lalu Prasad Yadav is now polishing his phrases to deliver it to an American audience.

A group of 137 students, 100 from Harvard and the rest from Wharton, is coming here for a December 27 lecture by Yadav. The minister will spell out the finer points of the turnaround story in a day-long interaction at Rail Bhawan.

Insiders say the session has been in the works for quite some time, with Yadav keen on selling his success story internationally to counter the skepticism about his achievements within the country.

It will not be Yadav's first interview with the American campus on this issue.

He has played host to professors from Harvard, Wharton, Boston University and American Defence Institute over the past couple of months, taking them to different parts of the country to show the Indian rail network and explaining to them the basics of what he did to the ailing national network, ministry sources said.

Now the jester-turned-pundit wants to ensure a visit by the US students to add to the sizeable bunch of brownie points he has already earned.

The professors, say the sources, were also keen to examine the genuineness of the claims made by the Indian Railways. "Initially, they were also a bit skeptical. They wanted to see for themselves whether the turnaround was only limited to government files in Rail Bhawan or extended to the rest of the country," said one official.

"Once they travelled on the network, they shed many of their concerns and found the Railways a fit case to be studied by their students."

Yadav's lieutenants are preparing all the statistical support, but which language will he speak? Not known for his English, Yadav is reportedly brushing up whatever he has of it on him to be able to take direct questions from the young audience.

Yadav's address, said sources, will mainly dwell on how the Railways has been restored its health without increasing fares or downsizing of staff.

Edited by Swar_Raj - 17 years ago
datspreets thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: breathing_irony

wait sec...a lot of the profits from the railway industry have to do with innovative accountingπŸ˜‰----wouldnt fulyl trust Lalu!!

hehe, i agree accounting geniuses can inflate the profit to show a distorted picture, but then you'll see the good performance only on papaer and not in reality. While in reality, railways has improved and is improving, so i rule this innovative accounting out, atleast in this case πŸ˜‰
Indian of the year should be someone who made India proud by bringing India into centerstage or helping India achieve something. I don't think Amitabh Bachchan has done any of those things. The title should be 'Most popular Indian of the year'. I sometimes don't understand why these actors are in the same category as Major Manoj. A Rahul Bose or Vivek Oberoi who helped in Tsunami relief should have been then Indian of the year 2005.

Originally posted by: Swar_Raj

I agree. πŸ˜ƒLaloo has made Indian Railways a profit.

mermaid_QT thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maya_M

Indian of the year should be someone who made India proud by bringing India into centerstage or helping India achieve something. I don't think Amitabh Bachchan has done any of those things. The title should be 'Most popular Indian of the year'. I sometimes don't understand why these actors are in the same category as Major Manoj. A Rahul Bose or Vivek Oberoi who helped in Tsunami relief should have been then Indian of the year 2005.

exactly!