Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mallika-E-Bhais thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 6 years ago
The sheer idiocy & misogyny in her statement, is too much for me to bear!! The f**king NERVE of this woman!!! Good to know she blames herself for being convinced to go to a hotel room. UGH!!
springkissed thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
That is stupid. Sure saying NO is always great. But, no case is ever that clear cut. If a woman's career hangs in the balance, and if she is aggressive about it then she won't get anymore opportunities. Why is tisca doing victim blaming in the first place? Blame the societal/workplace structure that supports such sexual harassment and assault. Why blame the women that are powerless in this situation? Is she that dumb to think simply working on acting is going to solve all the problems? Drag those old/young farts that take part in such illicit activities by putting career pressure on these women and even the ones that stand on the side watching it and and expose them.

The shift HAS to move from, Why did you not practice self preservation? (No situation is ever same, so you don't know what circumstances someone was under to not avoid such thing) to why is the culture of sexual harassment and assault so blatantly supported till date in the otherwise wanting to be progressive Hollywood (for the Harvey case)? Why did these men do what they do? When is the conversation going to shift from what the woman did or did not to save herself from such harassment to WHY man DID such things? Enough victim blaming! 😳 😡
Edited by springkissed - 6 years ago
Novarieaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: springkissed

The shift HAS to move from, Why did you not practice self preservation? (No situation is ever same, so you don't know what circumstances someone was under to not avoid such thing) to why is the culture of sexual harassment and assault so blatantly supported till date in the otherwise wanting to be progressive Hollywood (for the Harvey case)? Why did these men do what they do? When is the conversation going to shift from what the woman did or did not to save herself from such harassment to WHY man DID such things? Enough victim blaming! 😳 😡

The society always gives men the leeway. "Men will be men" is the literal excuse for everything they do. As if the society would not even pressure men to mend ways anymore. It's you women who has to cover up so that men do not get aroused. It is you women who has to say no to the men who ask for sexual favors. It's you who have to give up careers because God forbid you give preference to it, every indecent thing that happens to you, will be your responsibility. How dare you choose career over chastity and blame men for their immorality? Men are men - it's you who should have denied outright.
Edited by FleurBleue - 6 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
When will we start telling people "Don't rape" "Don't harass" "Don't assault". When will we start holding the perpetrator 100% accountable instead of the victim? *le sigh*
springkissed thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: FleurBleue

The society always gives men the leeway. "Men will be men" is the literal excuse for everything they do. As if the society would not even pressure men to med ways anymore. It's you women who has to cover up so that men do not get aroused. It is you women who has to say no to the men who asks for sexual favors. It's you who have to give up careers because God forbid you give preference to it, every indecent thing that happens to you, will be your responsibility. How dare you choose career over chastity and blame men for their immorality? Men are men - it's you who should have denied outright.

Completely agree with everything you said. I'm posting this following brilliant comment from the article I was just reading on the NY times about Harvey. Shows that east or west, blaming the women one way or another seems to be the jerk reaction of most people. That "men are men" and women have to monitor and regulate their behavior is entrenched too deep in the societies all over the world. Forget men taking responsibility for their actions, even in this case, women still have to take responsibility as a victim and answer various questions as if they are the criminals.

** "It is disheartening to see so many comments already blaming women for not "speaking up." Please count yourself lucky that you've never had your career on the line based on whether or not you sleep with your boss. It has nothing to do with fame and riches; this happens to women making minimum wage in retail as well as women who fought through it to become CEOs.

The psychology behind this kind of thing is not that complex, so please spare a moment to consider: Not only are these women made to feel humiliated and embarrassed, but in some cases if they had come forward, they not only would never work again, they also would be seen as whiners and "too sensitive." Both Jolie and Paltrow fended him off. Imagine if they made a big stink about it. They would have been ripped apart in the media! "Oh for goodness' sake, a dirty old man came on to you. You rejected him and moved on, why the fuss?"

But, of course, now we insist on blaming them for "perpetuating" Weinstein's behavior. Please. The amount of cognitive dissonance it must take to blame women for their own persecution is astounding. Note that the comments have not centered around Brad Pitt's not saying anything, though he knew about it with not one but TWO romantic partners.

It is not the women's job to monitor men's behavior. We are doing the best we can with what we have to survive in a world that depends on our subjugation."

Edited by springkissed - 6 years ago
Novarieaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: springkissed

Completely agree with everything you said. I'm posting this following brilliant comment from the article I was just reading on the NY times about Harvey. Shows that east or west, blaming the women one way or another seems to be the jerk reaction of most people. That "men are men" and women have to monitor and regulate their behavior is entrenched too deep in the societies all over the world. Forget men taking responsibility for their actions, even in this case, women still have to take responsibility as a victim and answer various questions as if they are the criminals.

** "It is disheartening to see so many comments already blaming women for not "speaking up." Please count yourself lucky that you've never had your career on the line based on whether or not you sleep with your boss. It has nothing to do with fame and riches; this happens to women making minimum wage in retail as well as women who fought through it to become CEOs.

The psychology behind this kind of thing is not that complex, so please spare a moment to consider: Not only are these women made to feel humiliated and embarrassed, but in some cases if they had come forward, they not only would never work again, they also would be seen as whiners and "too sensitive." Both Jolie and Paltrow fended him off. Imagine if they made a big stink about it. They would have been ripped apart in the media! "Oh for goodness' sake, a dirty old man came on to you. You rejected him and moved on, why the fuss?"

But, of course, now we insist on blaming them for "perpetuating" Weinstein's behavior. Please. The amount of cognitive dissonance it must take to blame women for their own persecution is astounding. Note that the comments have not centered around Brad Pitt's not saying anything, though he knew about it with not one but TWO romantic partners.

It is not the women's job to monitor men's behavior. We are doing the best we can with what we have to survive in a world that depends on our subjugation."

A brilliant comment.
I remember reading it on NYT. Absolutely agree.
People should read and try to comprehend.
642126 thumbnail
So another case of men will be men and blaming victims instead?
Casting couch and sexual harassment can happen anywhere. Even in office (that is why many showmen have bed or couch in their rooms or 'attached rooms') or some star's vanity van. Sexual harassment can happen even at pretext of shooting a scene. Rekha was just 13 when Biswajit and crew of a film they did fooled her and Biswajit (who was way older than her) forcibly kissed her.

I agree that women must refuse to go to hotel rooms or willingly sleep or flirt (sorry but some do willingly offer themselves just as Zeenat did to Raj Kapoor and Dev Anand) or send their nude pics to stars or producers etc.

But to say women saying no will save them from harassment or abuse is foolish and deliberately closing eyes to the bigger problem.

Why is it so hard to put onus on men who abuse even other men and children but keep blaming women instead?

Those who give favours or work only on basis of someone sleeping with them are themselves to blame for ruining the work culture for everyone. They are responsible for abusing their power and position.

Let's call a spade a spade. Put onus on perpetrators and not victims!

My only problem is women and men who keep quiet about it or accept it as a routine. Though in reality they all needed to come out openly as they did in last few weeks in Harvey Weinstein case.

zehreeli.kheer thumbnail
Visit Streak 750 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 15 Thumbnail + 7
You guys do very moti moti baatein
Pehchaan.Kaun thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: atominis

So another case of men will be men and blaming victims instead?

Casting couch and sexual harassment can happen anywhere. Even in office (that is why many showmen have bed or couch in their rooms or 'attached rooms') or some star's vanity van. Sexual harassment can happen even at pretext of shooting a scene. Rekha was just 13 when Biswajit and crew of a film they did fooled her and Biswajit (who was way older than her) forcibly kissed her.

I agree that women must refuse to go to hotel rooms or willingly sleep or flirt (sorry but some do willingly offer themselves just as Zeenat did to Raj Kapoor and Dev Anand) or send their nude pics to stars or producers etc.

But to say women saying no will save them from harassment or abuse is foolish and deliberately closing eyes to the bigger problem.

Why is it so hard to put onus on men who abuse even other men and children but keep blaming women instead?

Those who give favours or work only on basis of someone sleeping with them are themselves to blame for ruining the work culture for everyone. They are responsible for abusing their power and position.

Let's call a spade a spade. Put onus on perpetrators and not victims!

My only problem is women and men who keep quiet about it or accept it as a routine. Though in reality they all needed to come out openly as they did in last few weeks in Harvey Weinstein case.

That doesn't help either. Ever. In fact while saying No, a woman should already be mentally preparing herself to bid adios from the industry/workplace for ever. 😕

Even in case of casting couch this is applicable. Someday someone somewhere might get lucky if she is able to find a person who would offer her work/opportunity on the basis of her talent, otherwise saying 'No' to even casting couch sometimes puts a full stop on one's career.

That is power speaking. Casually offering casting couch and not giving role on denial of that is OKAY (since the option is given to the female), but going to the next level and ensuring that she gets no opportunity from anywhere else too is what I can term as harassment. Cannot blame the girl for that.

Oh btw it's happening with boys too these days. 😉 Both casting couch and sexual harassment. 👎🏼
Sakina3 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: 2RsFan

<h3>Women are just as much to blame, because they put themselves in those vulnerable positions</h3>

Tisca Chopra
Actor

I'm not even sure that I'm going to say the thing that you want me to say. I'm going to be very categorical when I say that women are just as much to blame, because they put themselves in those vulnerable positions. Why do these women go to hotel rooms? Do they not fear for their personal safety? Have they not heard of people's reputations, and why do they engage with those men?

[P]Why do they not say "N-O:no point blank? And why be alone with a person like that? Every human being is hardwired to protect themselves.

Ugh NO. THEY don't put themselves anywhere, they're PLACED in a vulnerable, helpless position by men with all the power. What the heck is she talking about?
I wish all women could feel empowered to kick those men in the balls but no one can blame them if they can't. They shouldn't be having to deal with it in the first place. Ever.

A lot of people have been discussing how to make women feel empowered so they can speak up without fear of repercussions. I hope people start putting things into place.. maybe a forum where women in the same industry can communicate with each other if something has happened, even if it is to say X is making me uncomfortable. There also needs to be some kind of system in place where those with powerful positions who are against assaults make sure they provide work for the victim. Not being believed and earning a living is always put in jeopardy by these disgusting assaults so knowing that there's people out there who will have the victims' backs will give them confidence. I hope after this Weinstein nastiness there will be big changes in Hollywood and the rest of the work society too.