Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 7 years ago

Originally posted by: thethickofit

Very interesting topic, btw. 

@on the topic of Dravidian languages - they are not mutually intelligible like say Hindi & Urdu. Only Tamil & Malayalam to a very limited extent. Whilst all the languages do share a common ancestor - Proto-Dravidian language, Kannada & Telugu evolved much earlier and developed independently. Tamil & Malayalam differentiated into Proto-South-Dravidian. Malayalam is debated to have been the last one to split. Malayalees may, thus, find it slightly easier to understand some words/phrases in Tamil. Modern Malayalam has little in common with Tamil, though. Certain dialects could be due to location and its history. 

Angel-likeDevil, look up 'Proto-Dravidian' on Wikipedia if you are interested in linguistics. I find South Indian languages & history utterly fascinating. But I am still learning. Long way to go! lol 

wow, thankyou, never knew all this πŸ˜ƒ that is why the pronounciation is also so different.. kannada seems almost like telugu in script although a lot different, it's easier to speak Kannda in comparison to Tamil, and easier to pronounce Tamil in comparison to Malayalam. Even the scripts... Kannada < Tamil < Malayalam.. the complexity of the script from the looks i mean :p

I will surely look it up! Love how this thread has taken an interesting turn :-) 

BRB, kinda busy :D

I just listened to Malare...  those poetic lyrics!!  wish I knew Malayalam yaar... 

Take Off promo song... video is very intriguing! I want to watch the movie... again, love the naturalness of everyhting... 

loved  Olanjali Kuruvi.. so melodious :) the music/singing took me back to the South Indian music of the 80s'. ..and the video, little things in the video... *sigh*, I am in love. Thankyou for such wonderful recommendations, Shwetha πŸ˜ƒ

Love the video, the 'naturalness', be it acting, clothing, make-up(none), the greenery, the setting, the people, the little things captured - in all the songs I watched is the unqiue charm of Malayalam songs ❀️

Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 7 years ago
LegolasGondolin thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Angel-likeDevil

Oh sorry, i meant Asianet news :p 

thankyou.. I'm not very consistent with watching TV, but I shall remember about Asianet Plus! :) I don't think we get Kiran TV :(

Oh. Hope u get to catch some films soon πŸ˜Š

No nasco, not yet :( ..my foray into malayalam movies hasn't happened yet.. :p

Thankyou for all these recommendations! These will be the first I will watch, and I like any genre :)

@Manichitrathaazhu --- I watched it in telugu - "Chandramukhi" ..is Malayalam version different? πŸ˜ƒ

I would say the orginal is the best.  i watched the tamil , kannada and hindi versions and dint find it reaching anywhere close to the original. 

I just listened to Malare...  those poetic lyrics!!  wish I knew Malayalam yaar... 

Take Off promo song... video is very intriguing! I want to watch the movie... again, love the naturalness of everyhting... 

The movie got Rave reviews and is really good.😊

loved  Olanjali Kuruvi.. so melodious :) the music/singing took me back to the South Indian music of the 80s'. ..and the video, little things in the video... *sigh*, I am in love. Thankyou for such wonderful recommendations, Shwetha πŸ˜ƒ

The song is amazing na  it kinda tells a story way back in time hence the 80s touch and feel and its sung by veterans in the industry . Vani jairam and Jayachandran.

Love the video, the 'naturalness', be it acting, clothing, make-up(none), the greenery, the setting, the people, the little things captured - in all the songs I watched is the unqiue charm of Malayalam songs ❀️

Really happy you noticed it πŸ˜Š, stories are mostly close to real life no unwanted stunts and effects, just normal people , their lives captured😊

Okay, thankyou... hopefully there are subs, but i may just watch it for the awesome cinematography even without the subs πŸ˜ƒ

Yes it is visually stunning too, i cried soo much watching the film
KhatamKahani thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
There should be more regional films on Netflix. I've been able to see some of the good Hindi films, which may not have been box office hits, but still good movies and probably better than some hits.
Regional film makers should try to get more of their films on Netflix and Prime Video.

Originally posted by: nasco

Yes it is visually stunning too, i cried soo much watching the film

aww :) 

Sevenstreaks thumbnail
Any other movie suggestions especially among d recent ones ?? I ve seen all d movies mentioned in d above posts except Ezra...my mother tongue is Tamil but like to watch Malayalam movies ...
thethickofit thumbnail

Originally posted by: nasco

I havent read much on malayalm poetry/literature which i consider a huge lossπŸ˜•

Hope you liked the suggested songs, Theyare truly real and has a deep meaning, pure emotions

Hmm. You can always catch on. :)) I only know about the famous retelling of Mahabharata by M.T. Vasudevan Nair. It is from Bheem's point of view, I think. If you are interested in literature/poetry, I would suggest checking out Goodreads. They have a good catalogue. 

Oh, I have listened to a few of those. Man, that Idukki song is not only lovely to hear but damn gorgeous to look at. They really manage to capture the feel/atmosphere of the place. The cinematography has always been top notch in Malayalam movies (at least in the ones I've watched). I wish I could understand the song/lyrics. I am sure it has the same naturalistic feel and elevate the experience. I am going to check out the film. Thanks for the recommendation. :))

Because of my work schedule, I will be a bit slow to catch on. I guess I'll draw up a list of my favourites after going through all the suggestions and then bug (more like beg lol) you later for the translations. :P

It seems like there is some rule regarding new members posting links. I've PMed you the link. Thanks for helping out. :))