Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

WittyFlair thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 8 years ago
Clearly this guy was such a gem...not. Good for her to leave him! She deserves much better than that
quiet_chaos thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail + 5
Why does it negate an opinion if she agreed to quit movies after marriage, but somewhere down the line decided not to?
Would it still be different if a man says one thing before marriage, but changes it after marriage ji?

Thinking from an Indian perspective, more so from a Punjabi one and as I'm one, I highly doubt that there would be such an uproar if we switched the genders ji.

It's okay here for the guy to divorce because the wife happened to be at a phase in her life where she decided that her career does mean something to her. Maybe at the time of her marriage, her mindset was different from what it is now. How is that her fault or anyone's?

Are women just expected to listen to what her in-laws say? Shaadi se phele baap ki pagdi di izzat, aur shaadi ke baad sasur ki pagdi di izzat et al, Why can't the man hold the izzat? Oh wait, he's a man ji. A woman can't change her mind if she committed to something already, and if she does, she's a horrible person.

And the guy seems like such a prick ji, hiding under his mother's pallu - saying whatever my parents say. Toh love marriage hi kyon ki bhai? Kar lete arranged marriage to someone of your parents choice.
1017676 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Fidelius_Charm

Why does it negate an opinion if she agreed to quit movies after marriage, but somewhere down the line decided not to?

Would it still be different if a man says one thing before marriage, but changes it after marriage ji?

Thinking from an Indian perspective, more so from a Punjabi one and as I'm one, I highly doubt that there would be such an uproar if we switched the genders ji.

It's okay here for the guy to divorce because the wife happened to be at a phase in her life where she decided that her career does mean something to her. Maybe at the time of her marriage, her mindset was different from what it is now. How is that her fault or anyone's?

Are women just expected to listen to what her in-laws say? Shaadi se phele baap ki pagdi di izzat, aur shaadi ke baad sasur ki pagdi di izzat et al, Why can't the man hold the izzat? Oh wait, he's a man ji. A woman can't change her mind if she committed to something already, and if she does, she's a horrible person.

And the guy seems like such a prick ji, hiding under his mother's pallu - saying whatever my parents say. Toh love marriage hi kyon ki bhai? Kar lete arranged marriage to someone of your parents choice.

Came here to say almost the same.
Very well put .

TheBoss thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Fidelius_Charm

It absolutely doesn't. I'm glad she is pursuing what is important to her. But it also doesn't really make the guy a bad human either so him getting bashed is also unfair because he was honest and upfront. She chose what she needed to do. He did what needed to be done. Why should he also compromise? They are better off without each other. It is no different than leaving an exam hall or breaking your cellphone contract. If he had promised her before marriage that she can work and he reneged after marriage then it is still the same.
745671 thumbnail
[quote]And the guy seems like such a prick ji, hiding under his mother's pallu - saying whatever my parents say. Toh love marriage hi kyon ki bhai? Kar lete arranged marriage to someone of your parents choice. [/quote]
Because most Indian men think they can control the wife and make her do whatever he and his parents want after marriage. Most desi guys are conservative and old-fashioned because it benefits them.

Even someone like Aishwarya Rai can't escape it. She has to drag her kid everywhere with her, even when its only 2-3 days in Cannes. The family and kids and all household things are thrust only to the woman. Then in-laws meddle in everything include what roles she does and what kind of intimate scenes she has, etc.

Edited by anonymous39 - 8 years ago
quiet_chaos thumbnail

Originally posted by: TheBoss

It absolutely doesn't. I'm glad she is pursuing what is important to her. But it also doesn't really make the guy a bad human either so him getting bashed is also unfair because he was honest and upfront. She chose what she needed to do. He did what needed to be done. Why should he also compromise? They are better off without each other. It is no different than leaving an exam hall or breaking your cellphone contract. If he had promised her before marriage that she can work and he reneged after marriage then it is still the same.

Of course he does, but when he hides behind the garb of his parents and says things like "I'll abide by whatever my parents want" - portraying himself as a helpless man - then he deserves to be bashed in my opinion ji. Where was this when he married her? It seems the parents were not happy with his choice from the beginning ji.

If the couple indeed agreed to these terms before marriage and it is something that the husband cannot live with, then by all means divorce. I'll have the personal opinion of him being an absolute prick, but I'll respect his choice - if he owns it as his own.

However, here he hides behind whatever his parents want, and that is what infuriates me. What is that old age thing to define masculinity? Oh yes, why is he not "being a man" about it, and accepting the decision as his own?

Taali dono haatho si hi bajti hai ji, ab yeh toh sab pe hain ke manzoor karte hain ke bas bolte hain ke nahi taali toh ek hi se baaji hai.
Edited by Fidelius_Charm - 8 years ago
Justmoi thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: TheBoss

The problem here is a 37 year old man hiding behind his parents to say he will "abide by their decision" to divorce her. This is the man, a hindu man who fell in love with a christian actress. I can't imagine the parents were thrilled about it. Now suddenly they are behind this decision ?🤔 Puhlease. A real man will have the guts to say she changed her mind and so it is not working for me, not bring his parents inside it. If he supported her whatever his parents said would not have mattered.
quiet_chaos thumbnail

Originally posted by: anonymous39

[quote]And the guy seems like such a prick ji, hiding under his mother's pallu - saying whatever my parents say. Toh love marriage hi kyon ki bhai? Kar lete arranged marriage to someone of your parents choice. [/quote]

Because most Indian men think they can control the wife and make her do whatever he and his parents want after marriage. Most desi guys are conservative and old-fashioned because it benefits them.

Even someone like Aishwarya Rai can't escape it. She has to drag her kid everywhere with her, even when its only 2-3 days in Cannes. The family and kids and all household things are thrust only to the woman. Then in-laws meddle in everything include what roles she does and what kind of intimate scenes she has, etc.

I agree ji.

Bold - so people read the most, and do not pounce lol

Italics - Agree. Recently, I watched a video about Madhuri and the crying boys, and the end was something like teach your boys to not make girls cry or something. Why couldn't it be let the boys, men, express their emotions? Even if it means crying ji? Anyways, it irked me. The old-fashioned thinking is going to remain, because in my opinion, many of our parents hold on to, and that gets instilled into a newer generation. I know men, my age, that feel a superior complex because they are males - because they have been brought up with that mentality.

This conservative mindset isn't going anywhere anytime soon in my opinion ji.
TheBoss thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Justmoi

The problem here is a 37 year old man hiding behind his parents to say he will "abide by their decision" to divorce her. This is the man, a hindu man who fell in love with a christian actress. I can't imagine the parents were thrilled about it. Now suddenly they are behind this decision ?🤔 Puhlease. A real man will have the guts to say she changed her mind and so it is not working for me, not bring his parents inside it. If he supported her whatever his parents said would not have mattered.

I absolutely agree that parents have no business in this and he should stop being a man child and act his age. But what if he is genuinely hurt because his trust was broken? It could be all excuses but if we see it through his eyes his trust indeed break. Although we can both agree it was a stupid condition but it was something still that was made available upfront and she wilfully agreed.

For example, before marriage she asks him do you have a pre existing wife or a kid? He said no. Later on it turns out he was previously divorced and now wants to bring his kid home. Would she not have a reason to be irate and have her trust broken? While it would not be a big deal to stay with the kid as its not his fault but I would still support the girl for being selfish and wanting a divorce.

I feel more than parents, the actual problem here is the broken trust.
745671 thumbnail
^He's allowed to divorce for whatever reason, to be honest. Nobody can force anybody to stay in a marriage they don't want regardless of what the reason is.

The problem is that he's trying to twist the situation in his favor by bringing in his parents and trying to look like the "good obedient Indian boy" who does whatever his parents want. Indians are anyway psychotic about the idea of parental worship and think that makes the person someone with good morals. So he's the good man listening to his parents and she's the overly modern woman who wants to do work in movies and dance and do love scenes, etc.

It's about the way he's handling the split that's disgusting. Just own up to it and say you're not in love anymore or don't want the marriage, period.
Edited by anonymous39 - 8 years ago