Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

divaz thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
industrywale kitne kanjoos the fawad ki tareef karne main after they watched the screening. they all said everyone did well but no one mentioned specifically how fawad and ratna jee stole the show. but we don't need these fake industrywala when we have aam janta and critics praising the deserving duo.
i loved ratna, rajat, fawad, and rishi in the movie the most

even pinkvilla gave a positive title for day 2 collection unlike their usual bashing
Binge thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Lovely movie. I had liked Ek Main Aur Ek tu so had hopes from the director and its a relief that I was not let down.. it is a sensible movie for Bwood standards definitely. 😆 Fawad is awesome and totally hero material. I was skeptical when he was chosen for a KJO movie initially, that too with his faves Alia and Sid but its Fawad who stands out. Sid and Alia were also good no doubt.. Alia's emotional scene of her bday was well enacted..
Speaking of dysfunctional family, couldn't help thinking about Zoya's DDD which was along the similar lines but went haywire by the climax.. on the contrary, this movie managed to subtly unravel the complexities in the family. It is good to see when Bwood attempts to handlle gay angle with maturity... first English Vinglish and now K&S👍🏼
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
The Dawn article is damn good! Dawn is usually critical of Fawad so its good to see them not bashing him.

Originally posted by: divaz

industrywale kitne kanjoos the fawad ki tareef karne main after they watched the screening. they all said everyone did well but no one mentioned specifically how fawad and ratna jee stole the show. but we don't need these fake industrywala when we have aam janta and critics praising the deserving duo.

i loved ratna, rajat, fawad, and rishi in the movie the most

even pinkvilla gave a positive title for day 2 collection unlike their usual bashing

This time Fawad has been praised a lot more than Khoobsurat time. That time I think very few people like Mukesh Chabra, Ayushman Khurana praised him apart from people directly related to the Kapoors or the film. This time Dharma had screenings for many people and most came out praising the film. In all honesty its an ensemble film and it would have fallen flat if the whole cast wouldnt have worked together. So its good that everyone was praised. Also industry is more profuse in its praise of its own.
I am also grateful to Dharma that though they had popular stars like Alia and Sid in the film they ensured Fawad was in the forefront of the promotions along with them. So all in all it was a good experience for fans. I hope the movie is also rewarded with good lifetime at the BO.
TheekThaak thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Can I just say I loved the film? I absolutely did. It's one of the best family movies I have watched in recent times. Very relatable, heart-warming and breaking all at the same time. There are so many things about this film which I totally loved. The friction between the entire family when they meet after a long time, the outbursts, constantly trying to make things move at a normal pace even when they are seemingly going out of hand, the silences, everything looked so natural and relatable.

One of my favorite bits has to be that scene where the entire family is bickering while the plumber witnesses it all and ends up cracking a joke, probably unintentionally. It looked like a page out of my family or so many families I know, for that matter.

I loved Sid's character and his performance in this one. I usually tend to relate more to characters that react aggressively towards situations or come to conclusions rather quickly. And the fact the he is kinda struggling to establish himself in his profession he loves, makes it all even more relatable for me. Fawad was absolutely fabulous in the movie, the restraint and the calm with which he performed is so so beautiful. The maturity, responsibility and the vulnerability towards the end..all of them come together so perfectly and make his performance such a delight to watch. What do I say about Ratna Pathak Shah, have been adoring her acting chops since very very long. Didn't expect anything less and she did complete justice to her role. Loved Rajat K and Rishi K as well. All of the above performances simply occupy a space in your heart during the entire course of the movie. So beautiful.

I almost forgot how good Alia can be on screen. So vibrant and impactful. Her character helped the movie in not becoming one-note and I pretty much enjoyed it. I also loved those little things they kept adding during the entire first half. Wasim's brother, his body building comp, Tia's jokes, scared Banku, the photo studio, Dadu being techno savvy and using the same knowledge to convey a heartbreaking request to his grandsons during the end. I also loved how Arjun somewhat struggled to let go of the fact that the book and the characters that catapulted his elder brother to a different league were so much similar to his. It was difficult for him, it kept bothering him, but he tried nevertheless. Man, I really really liked the charecter. It's under appreciated I feel.

I would definitely recommend this movie to you all. It's surely worth a watch. A beautiful portrayal of imperfect relations, without any pretense. Straight from the heart.
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4

Wah, kya family hai!

- Turns stars into real people who are having real conversations about real problems in a real movie

Kapoor & Sons (U/A)

Director: Shakun Batra

Cast: Rishi Kapoor, Ratna Pathak Shah, Rajat Kapoor, Fawad Khan, Sidharth Malhotra, Alia Bhatt

Running time: 140 minutes

If Karan Johar ran a contest of making a mainstream family film that is most unlike Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham, Kapoor & Sons would come out first. Writer-director Shakun Batra, who had impressed immensely with his highly underrated first film Ek Main Aur Ekk Tu, unlocks that rare achievement of turning stars into real people who are having real conversations about real problems in a real movie.

Baked with the same yeast as Monsoon Wedding and Rachel Getting Married, Kapoor & Sons is a bittersweet portrait of a dysfunctional family with the nuts and bolts of the unit coming off one by one, as it goes along. This one too is all about loving your parents, but the parents are flawed and so are the kids and sometimes their love.

Unlike those two films where a wedding brought the family together with disturbing consequences, here the grandfather's (Rishi Kapoor) heart attack brings back the two grandsons from two parts of the globe " Rahul (Fawad Khan), the successful novelist in London, and Arjun (Sidharth Malhotra), the wannabe novelist part-timing as a bartender in New Jersey.

Don't go by their Bollywoody names " and good looks " Rahul and Arjun are very unlike the stock Hindi film heroes. And not just because they are shown as writers. For starters, they don't start wooing the neighbourhood stunner Tia (Alia Bhatt) just because she is always around and seemingly available.

Plus their ideas of dating include a quiet walk in a graveyard and discussing nose poop in a shady bar. Yes, those novels the boys write would be interesting to read.

Also at their beautiful Coonoor cottage home are Dad (Rajat Kapoor) and Mom (Ratna Pathak Shah), who are constantly fighting over finances and sleeping in different rooms. They share a few secrets and lies and so do the boys. At least one of the boys does. Completely unruffled, though, is the nonagenarian Dadu who still lusts over Mandakini-in-a-wet-white-sari, loves smoking a J and wants to watch "rangeen picture" on the tablet he calls iPapad.

The mastery of Kapoor & Sons is in the writing (Batra and Ayesha DeVitre) which never lets the heaviness of the film get to you. Always overlapping the chaos and the conflicts are scenes " and songs " of mirth and madness. And because you have seen the bond, you ache that much more for the broken. Still the film could have done away with one of the subplots, cutting down on its little-too-long running time.

It's the ensemble cast that really steers the film. Rishi Kapoor latches on to good writing like a child would grab an ice cream on a hot summer day and makes every line count. The make-up and its associated marketing blitz aside, he is so much fun to watch that you wish there could be a standalone movie just on Dadu.

Rajat Kapoor and Ratna Pathak Shah are so, so good as the middle-aged couple who've grown tired of each other. It is their casting " Dharma could have easily afforded starrier names " that really gives Kapoor & Sons the organic texture it thrives on.

Fawad is just right as the older brother who's always labelled the "perfect beta" and is struggling to be himself under the heap of his responsibilities. If his looks don't distract you from his performance, you'll see that his manic moments are as effective and as effortless as the charm he exudes in the lighter scenes.

Barring the air of familiarity, Alia is as delightful as ever. But then if you play the chic young city girl in every film, it will get difficult to tell one character from another, no matter how good a performer you are. Alia does have one very powerful scene here where she recalls the day her parents died in an accident.

Sidharth is the weakest of the lot but not unwatchable. At the very outset, it's difficult to imagine him as a writer and nothing he does in those two hours helps. Also everyone else around him is so good, that this bit of box-office casting gets caught red-handed.

Cinematographer Jeffery Bierman with his frenetic handheld photography and editor Shivkumar Panicker with his sharp dialogue cuts keep the film alive and kicking right through.

Kapoor & Sons is two thumbs up to the changing character of mainstream Bollywood, where formulaic ingredients are being tossed and turned for a refreshing cinematic experience. It's been 15 years since the parents and the sons cried buckets holding on to each other in K3G and it's time to acknowledge that there's many a slip between the handshake and the hug. Let's welcome this new dharma'.

Pratim D. Gupta

I agree/ disagree with this review of Kapoor & Sons because...Tell [email protected]

KRK review
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfxWjVYzmec&sns=tw[/YOUTUBE]

1019702 thumbnail
@KJ :
Glad you mentioned abt Arjun the Character being Under-Appreciated .
I absolutely Loved him . Can be because I connected a Lot with him . Him not able to forget his Past , trying his best to Prove himself , then his Mother's big Betrayal , being honest that he need time to come out of this .

I genuinely felt Sid could have up-ed his Acting . His confrontation scene with Ratna lacked Punch , I felt . But yes I wont take away his hardwork . He was Honest with Arjun.
Mallika-E-Bhais thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 5
I was hoping you would post your review, Kaapi! Glad you loved it! I can't wait to watch! 😃
divaz thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Hajmola.

The Dawn article is damn good! Dawn is usually critical of Fawad so its good to see them not bashing him.

This time Fawad has been praised a lot more than Khoobsurat time. That time I think very few people like Mukesh Chabra, Ayushman Khurana praised him apart from people directly related to the Kapoors or the film. This time Dharma had screenings for many people and most came out praising the film. In all honesty its an ensemble film and it would have fallen flat if the whole cast wouldnt have worked together. So its good that everyone was praised. Also industry is more profuse in its praise of its own.
I am also grateful to Dharma that though they had popular stars like Alia and Sid in the film they ensured Fawad was in the forefront of the promotions along with them. So all in all it was a good experience for fans. I hope the movie is also rewarded with good lifetime at the BO.

ayushman was really sweet both times during khoobsurat and k&s. I am also thankful for dharma. The movie had huge scope for fawad. everybody's work was good but the best were ratna jee and fawad for sure.
divaz thumbnail
to anyone who watched the krk review what did he say? i dont want to listen to him 😆
Fantasia. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
I agree with all of u, arjun's character is a little under appreciated and part of it owes to sid's weak acting in some imp scenes like with his mother and when rahul tells him abt his reality .. but nevertheless that boy was pretty perfect in conveying the whole lost younger sibling trying to match up to his elder brother .. he was sweet .. anchoring for a support .. having copmplains .. feeling cheated .. sid was very good, not just as perfect as everyone else.