Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

UglyDuckling. thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
David TusingVerified account @DavidTusing

And lastly, @_fawadakhan_, how brave of you to take this role. How lucky Bollywood is to have you. #KapoorAndSons

Atul Sabharwal @sabharwalatul

Mr. Fawad Khan and Mr. Rishi Kapoor aka @chintskap please take a bow #KapoorAndSons

David TusingVerified account @DavidTusing

I saw #KapoorAndSons and wept like a baby. So many things hit close to home. Thanks @shakunbatra and @karanjohar.

Neeraj Singh @neeraajsingh

Watched #KapoorAndSons today and it's stuck in my head. Brilliantly directed and acted by @shakunbatra @aliaa08 @S1dharthM @_fawadakhan

Raj Sinha @raj_rajzulu

@karanjohar Thanks 4 #KapoorAndSons A Must watch for today's so called happy family Simply Brilliant

Vidya Nagarajan @vidyanagarajan Mountain View, CA

Take a bow @_fawadakhan_ @shakunbatra #KapoorAndSons is a must watch just for your impactful delivery & direction #ShorelineCinemas

Ashwin Suresh @ashwinsuresh

Meanwhile Fawad Khan seems to be the only Pakistani male who won something in India today. #KapoorAndSons

Prabal Panjabi @PrabalPanjabi

Still the best performance of the week has to be from across the border, @_fawadakhan_ with some serious acting prowess in Kapoor&Sons!

Edited by -Brilliant- - 8 years ago
UglyDuckling. thumbnail
Follow
Indicine.com@indicine

Inspite of the big cricket match between #IndvsPak, Kapoor and Sons has shown growth at the box office! Sunday will be huge. Winner!

Fantasia. thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

So where do i start about this absolutely beautiful and poignant story? Its heart touchingly beautifully and achingly real. Its so real that sometimes you see a replay of the scenes of your home running in front of your eyes.

Rahul and Arjun return back home because their grand father has been admitted to the hospital. The very first scene where the elder sibling Rahul (Fawad) calls Arjun (Sid) and tells him that they should be leaving for their home and just typical as the younger siblings are .. arjun retaliates, "mujhe phn kar k ku nahi bataya dadu ki tabiyat ka?" - so so typical. it was so real that i was shocked to see it in a movie, and just as an elder sibling is, authoritative by birth, Rahul replies, "ye fazool batoon ka time nahi hai". This was probably 5 mints into the movie started and i knew i will love it.

The whole movie is loaded with scenes which are taken out of our drawing rooms, our kitchen, our living rooms, our moms whining with the plumbers and dads calming them down, with the siblings trying to be normal but something stabbing them again and again to hit them with a brick, an old grandparent trying to bring them altogether, and the family does come, for their sake, but unable to keep their differences at bay.

The beauty of Kapoor and Sons is that every character is flawed, its real, its flawed, it has its own share of baggage. Everybody is a culprit, EVERYBODY.

For people who think Fawad's character being a homosexual is the plot twist? Oh NO NO NO! the movie showcases much much bigger things than this, this is just a part of that plot twist. there are several other things which get revealed with this.

The screenplay is tight and crisp, the setting is beautiful and misty. The camera conveys you the freshness of the hill station, and now the performances.

Fawad Afzal Khan just performed the role of a lifetime. Yes he did. For all the time to come, he is going to the person who brought forward the sensitivity of a homosexual to mainstream audience. I dont know if such a movie will be made again, because Fawad and Shakun just set the bar so damn high that it is not going to be matched soon. The movie does not even get into the debate of homosexuality being right or wrong, no tit doesn't, it simply brings forward the mental state of a person who is attracted to the same sex. That is ALL it does, and how beautifully. Fawad was exceptional, his warmth for his mother, his survior's guilt of being more successful than his brother, his failures of keeping his parents together, his fear of seeing his parents drifting apart, his helplessness for his grandfather, his natural pleasant mannerism with Tia, his cheery nature with his cousins, He lived Rahul, he breathed and lived and made him grab a corner on my heart. I want to discuss every single scene separately. watch it so we can dissect like every single scene! Fawad you make me such a proud fan - i am so happy the world now knows that you are much more than the perfect features.

Next is Sid, this boy is so charming. He was the perfect younger brother, who is lost, who is struggling, who has always been the second best, who is trying to cope up with the grandeur of his elder brother, who is so damn fed up of coming second that cannot bear the thought of competition, who is talented, but is falling apart. He was perfect in his role, in every scene.

Alia, after highway this is her second best, She was able to give layers to a cliched character of a bubbly girl next door girl who is rich and has lost her parents, infact its one of her scenes of breakdown that brought tears in my eyes for the first time in the movie. She is hardly there though, but in whatever scenes she is, she does it beautifully.

Rishi Kapoor - there is this specific scene where he is staring into the sky after a very important development in the movie, that scene made me realise the volcano of talent and finesse this legend is. Even in layers of makeup, he was able to emote. The lonely eyes and the cheery face - he was just the apt grandparent we all have .. that grandparent who is at that stage of life where he knows fighting wont bring good to anyone .. why cant we just live together. i loved Rishi Kapoor - very very very much.

Ratna and Rajat - flawed and real parents , who made mistakes in raising their children, made mistakes in their marriage, but no matter how many mistakes they made .. they were real .. found in every home.

So ending my long review, i loved the movie. it made me cry, made me laugh, made me sob, made me smile .. and made me understand human phsyclogy a bit better.

Last but not the least, Shakun Batra, no matter how much we drool on our favourites, and how much we praise them, its your genius mind that brought this act out of them .. so you deserve the first clap. hats off. Now i am going to watch your other movies too .. please keep making movies. We need story tellers like you.

Hifah thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: -Brilliant-

Follow
Indicine.com@indicine

Inspite of the big cricket match between #IndvsPak, Kapoor and Sons has shown growth at the box office! Sunday will be huge. Winner!

πŸ˜ƒ so happy to hear that
UglyDuckling. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Fantasia.

Fawad Afzal Khan just performed the role of a lifetime. Yes he did. For all the time to come, he is going to the person who brought forward the sensitivity of a homosexual to mainstream audience. I dont know if such a movie will be made again, because Fawad and Shakun just set the bar so damn high that it is not going to be matched soon. The movie does not even get into the debate of homosexuality being right or wrong, no tit doesn't, it simply brings forward the mental state of a person who is attracted to the same sex. That is ALL it does, and how beautifully. Fawad was exceptional, his warmth for his mother, his survior's guilt of being more successful than his brother, his failures of keeping his parents together, his fear of seeing his parents drifting apart, his helplessness for his grandfather, his natural pleasant mannerism with Tia, his cheery nature with his cousins, He lived Rahul, he breathed and lived and made him grab a corner on my heart. I want to discuss every single scene separately. watch it so we can dissect like every single scene! Fawad you make me such a proud fan - i am so happy the world now knows that you are much more than the perfect features.

You summed up the character so beautifully. Fawad's character was the best written character. It was well defined.

And he bought the character alive with his performance. For me he was Rahul and not FK.

Fantasia. thumbnail
^^ Thank you dear, and absolutely!
It was no where Fawad, it was through and through Rahul, plus this character had NOTHING which is apparently his strong point, i mean he is famous for his romantic chemistry and there was NOTHING romantic in the movie, not for once does he has an eye lock scene .. That is what you call versatility.

also, i am so glad this movie was not a love triangle, also there was NO second lead, first lead, it was everybody's movie, right from Rajat to Alia, they had their own character trajectory which moved along the film. I am so so proud of fawad for his choice. He just slayed it!
UglyDuckling. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Fantasia.

^^ Thank you dear, and absolutely!

It was no where Fawad, it was through and through Rahul, plus this character had NOTHING which is apparently his strong point, i mean he is famous for his romantic chemistry and there was NOTHING romantic in the movie, not for once does he has an eye lock scene .. That is what you call versatility.

also, i am so glad this movie was not a love triangle, also there was NO second lead, first lead, it was everybody's movie, right from Rajat to Alia, they had their own character trajectory which moved along the film. I am so so proud of fawad for his choice. He just slayed it!

So true. No one was the hero or villian. Everyone had their grey shades and were given equal time on screen.

I just hope FK wins awards for this. He has got amazing praises universally and also increased his fan following with guys and people who didnt believe in his acting prowess. The character was such a risky one but he pulled it off with such ease, it just billiant.

This movie needs a second watch. Third, fourth, fifth watch. I want to feel the emotions again and again.
Fantasia. thumbnail
^^ oh i so so so wish fawad wins an award in whatever category he fits in, maybe supporting .. but he deserves it, also the characters were so layered that you feel like watching it again and again.
also, that plumber sequence was so funny .. "ab aisey bure waqt main jo bhi thek lage 🀣 🀣
pinkeye thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Sorry for a long essay. Please Bare with me.

<font size="4">SPOLIERS AHEAD</font>

The first feeling which remains with you after watching the film is-Life is too short to hold onto grudges and its pointless to let go of people whom you really love. A true blue family film imo. Moreover the realistic treatment given to the film made me surprised thinking is this form the same ph who made coleges in SOTY, K3G etc. As per that standard, these kapoors look really poor and not suited to feature in Dharma Film. So thank you makers for keeping it real sans the grandeur. πŸ˜ƒ

The story is well told , specially the dynamics between each character is so well sketcehed. Be it husband-wife being tired of marriage yet holding onto it like a habit despite the suffocation, be it between the brothers who are estranged for being the way they are perceived by others or its between the children and the parents in which concern, dependence and expectations becomes an issue distancing both parties. A very well thought out approach to deal with a nuclear family scenario which do exist for real in our lives today. Brilliant way of showing certain major issues faced by individuals like sexuality, career choices, importance of loved ones and the most important thing- how much we judge an individual when he breaks the norm and does that become biggest than gfilial- parental bond too? the equations shown between the mother and her two sons for their individual choices and how she influences their lives as a result is a sheer brilliance piece of writing. I absolutely loved that. The director should be appreciated for dealing with all these isuuses withsuch subtlety and giving the actors that scope to bring those nuances to depict the sensitive, vulnerable side of each one of them. And as he is the co writer too and the characters are all his creation too- so BRAVO SHAKUN BAtra. ⭐️

Coming to the performances- Ratna Pathak Shah and Fawad khan own each and every frame they feature in. Ratna Pathak Shah makes Sunita so real and relatable that at one point I wanted to hug her tight and say just like Rahul said- its good to see you happy. The woman who has given all her life to the family, the children to make a home and when it all comes down to know that the most precious people in her life were fooling her- it was heart breaking to see. Her outbursts, her insecurities, her fears and her helplessness and that loneliness was not only spectacular onscreen it tug at your heart strings. She was Sheer brilliance as the MOTHER and as the WIFE. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

As I am known to be a Fawad fanatic here on this very forum, any comment by me will be judged by as a lunatic fangirl's comment , but despite that fact- let me say- he is absolutely terrific with his acting prowess. The way he inhabits the character of RAHUL KAPOOR and breathes life to this much layered character, it leaves you awestruck. I always knew that he changes his mannerisms, his body language and his delivery of scenes to bring individuality to each of his character, but never knew that he will be this good with a character as complex as this. On the surface he is that quintessential urbane, suave Guy acting as the perfect BETa making his parents and family happy and proud, but deep down he is much more to that with lot more complexities fighting ownself and the way he peels off each layer and finally breaks down in front of his mother showing the naked vulnerable side asking - AAPKO Meri Jhooth SE Narrazgi hai YA PHIR meri ASLIYAT SE? πŸ‘
That scne is going to stay with me for that portrayal. ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Fawad and Ratna are those two actors who holds the film together just like their charcaters do for the family. All others perfectly fit into that jigsaw puzzle and make it a beautiful ensemble. So tahnk you to these two actors.😳

I loved Arjun Kapoor as a character as I think I have seen this kind of character so often. And SIddharth was really apt in most of the scenes. He was really good in each scene with FK and even with his parents.I loved chand sa mehbooba songsequence and that scene where he says aakhri baar likh raha hun, kahani yaad rakkhna. But the final showdown between his mother and him was a bit underwhelming for me as I thought that scene lacked the punch it required. it was Arjun's outburst showing all his pent up emotions and the hurt and pain , Sid M was not bad but it was not that you cry for that character knowing how much he was wronged by his mother only. But yes he is good otherwise.

Aalia 's character was one unnecessary addition imo and other than her telling her backstory, she was looking like an extra in that family picture. Absolute waste of an actor but yes she managed to show her skills in that one particular scne. the love story between SID M And AALIA was not written well imho, I mean ok you wnna show a love angle, fine but do show it properly. the actors deserve more than those random scenes and giggling feats. I guess she was there just to make Arjun realise that no matter what do value the family and embrace them with their imperfections.

Last but not the least, two other actors who featured in the scene and excelled in each frame were- Rishi Kapoor and Rajat Kapoor.Rishi Kapoor was a delight onscreen as a wiity, jovial, cute Dadu. everyone in the plex were rofling with his I papad and Bhajan downloads. πŸ˜†
and Can Rajat Kapoor do few more mainstream cinemas please? He has least scnes in that family dynamics but yet makes his presence felt. πŸ‘πŸ‘The family of kapoors looked absolute picture perfect when Dadu took that one photo on his Ipapad , two boys and their parents- so damn real. ⭐️

the downside for me is that I found the first half bit dragged and nothing much significant happening except building the tension for the outbursts. plus those jokes on sexuality are not funny, they are gross and does not go with the genre of the film. Wanna incorporate that- Go make Dostana 2.

Sharing few of my favorite scenes- Spolier

Ratna patahk and Rajat Kapoor scne in that bedrrom , one saying to other- kya hum khush nahi reh sakte and the other saying- atleast we can try. and him telling her do start your business which she eventually did without him there anymore. these two were pitch perfect there.πŸ’”

The scenes between two brothers and the talk about happy endings.An intelligent piece of writing to show our urge to find a happy endings and how real life may not provide that and thsu we look for happy endings in every other medium possible.

the scene where Rahul comes to know about his father's affair and then confronts him in that washroom. The disappointed son questioning the father and the father trying to reason out- spectacular portrayal of emotions. ⭐️

the scne where Arjun says to Tia thak gaya hun main aapni family se bhhagte bhaagte, and she says- toh mat bhago, who sab yahin hai. endearing, warm, heart touching.

last but not the least the mother son scenes between Rahul and Sunita after the big revelation and then when he finally comes back and that bedroom convo. The pefect bacha finally finding peace and the mother finally letting go off her inhibitions as defetaed by the genuine love she has for her child. wow ⭐️

All in all , a really nice film dealing with relevant issues and human emotions with sincerity and a great ensemble who managed to convey the underlying message with effortless depiction giving such beautiful moments.

P.s- thanks for showing homosexuality in a mature way and its more about the emotional turmoil than that of the preferneces that character made. Atleast that way people did get the scenario without getting shocked. Atleastin my city, the people were tolerantenough to watch it without making any comments and passing judgements or laughing.

Edited by pinkeye - 8 years ago
Hifah thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: -Brilliant-

So true. No one was the hero or villian. Everyone had their grey shades and were given equal time on screen.

I just hope FK wins awards for this. He has got amazing praises universally and also increased his fan following with guys and people who didnt believe in his acting prowess. The character was such a risky one but he pulled it off with such ease, it just billiant.

This movie needs a second watch. Third, fourth, fifth watch. I want to feel the emotions again and again.

+1 this is stuck in my mind. Fawad so deserve award fir this role.i hope critics ya supporting mien mil jaye.