Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DiyaS thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 8 years ago
Paanchali is a fairly common name for girls ... that is one of Draupadi's names.

Other names for Draupadi - courtesy Google - Shama and Krishnaa ... as she was dark skinned.

She was also called Yagneseni ... but I guess that's not a common name at all.

In Indonesia, Shinta is a very common name for girls ... that is the Indonesian version of Sita. Maithili is quite common, so is Janaki and Sia.

Interesting discussion. πŸ˜ƒ
Edited by DiyaS - 8 years ago
Starwalkers thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Sita was born from the ashes.

While I was a kid I've come across an interesting story about Sita's birth. Godess Lakshmi incarnated as Vedavati, Vedavati had intense devotion towards Vishnu and wanted to be his consort. She used to do tapasya so that she can fulfil her desire. Ravana was travelling in his Pushpaka Vimana when he spots Vedavati and wanted to make her his wife. Vedavati refused Ravana and when he tried to force her she jumped into the agni. Ravana was so infatuated that after her death he took her ashes with them and set off to Lanka. Narada appeared in the Pushpaka and asked Ravana to drop the ashes. Disturbed by Narada's words Ravana drops Vedavati's ashes which happens to fall in Mithila. Sita is said to have born from these ashes.

I must also add that Sita is a very common name is South India.
Edited by Destiny_rose - 8 years ago
aaliah3108 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: DiyaS

Paanchali is a fairly common name for girls ... that is one of Draupadi's names.

Other names for Draupadi - courtesy Google - Shama and Krishnaa ... as she was dark skinned.

She was also called Yagneseni ... but I guess that's not a common name at all.

In Indonesia, Shinta is a very common name for girls ... that is the Indonesian version of Sita. Maithili is quite common, so is Janaki and Sia.

Interesting discussion. πŸ˜ƒ

Hi Diyu Sa!!

Truely interesting discussions !!! πŸ˜ƒ
1Rockstar1 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: aaliah3108

<font color="#990000">What is it that you want to know dear ? Anything specific.😊</font>

<font color="#990000">I like Sita ji in bits and portions. I definitely like her more than Ram ji. I dont know what they are going to show in the serial because it is indeed true that her side of the story would mean as seen from her eyes and it can be very very different to what we have perceived or known or have been told until now.</font>

<font color="#990000">I am quite curious to know the Source of this as it has intrigued me a lot. I have even asked the Writer of the show Anand Sir to shed some light on the available material on Sita ji because honestly speaking I have found none !!! ..lets see what he says.</font>

<font color="#990000">The biggest question that I have in mind is if these ladies are so great ...like Draupadi, Sita ji etc ...why are girls not named after them... Ram and Arjun are quite in use ...aren't they !</font>

<font color="#990000">I have heard that it is believed no one names their girls after the above ladies due to the kind of lives they led ...I mean it was full of struggles and sorrow ... Why are things this way ?</font>

<font color="#990000">Kind of looking for answers to a lot of questions in my mind. Lets see if I get them.</font>

There are many people who is named Sita, one of my friend name was Sita, bt yes Draupadi is nt so common, many people refuse to name their daughter, bt Sita is quite common 😊
Edited by 1Rockstar1 - 8 years ago
Mano.M thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Destiny_rose

Sita was born from the ashes.

While I was a kid I've come across an interesting story about Sita's birth. Godess Lakshmi incarnated as Vedavati, Vedavati had intense devotion towards Vishnu and wanted to be his consort. She used to do tapasya so that she can fulfil her desire. Ravana was travelling in his Pushpaka Vimana when he spots Vedavati and wanted to make her his wife. Vedavati refused Ravana and when he tried to force her she jumped into the agni. Ravana was so infatuated that after her death he took her ashes with them and set off to Lanka. Narada appeared in the Pushpaka and asked Ravana to drop the ashes. Disturbed by Narada's words Ravana drops Vedavati's ashes which happens to fall in Mithila. Sita is said to have born from these ashes.

I must also add that Sita is a very common name is South India.

I too have read this story
But vedavathi is not Sita as per my Knowledge
But the story behind her is like u said
When Sita does Agni Paroksha
Along with Sita another lady emerges
She is vedavathi
Since Ram has vowed to be a one women man
She was given a boon that she will get married to Vishnu in her next birth
If I am right she is Padhmavathy in next birth
We did an animation Project on itπŸ˜‰

And yes Sita is a very common name in South
And I am from south
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: -Mano-

I too have read this story
But vedavathi is not Sita as per my Knowledge
But the story behind her is like u said
When Sita does Agni Paroksha
Along with Sita another lady emerges
She is vedavathi
Since Ram has vowed to be a one women man
She was given a boon that she will get married to Vishnu in her next birth
If I am right she is Padhmavathy in next birth
We did an animation Project on itπŸ˜‰

And yes Sita is a very common name in South
And I am from south

That is one version of the story that comes in the Balaji story, however in Valmiki Ramayan it is very different.

Valmiki writes that Goddess Lakshmi incarnated herself as the daughter of rishi Kushadwaja, Vedavati. Vedavati does tapasya to attain Lord Vishnu as her husband and one day, Ravan sees her while doing tapasya. When she refuses his offer of marriage, he pulls her by the hair to abduct her but with the power of her tapasya, her hand turns into a blade and she cuts off the hair that he held. She curses him that since he made her impure by touching her, she will immolate herself and be reborn to get her revenge, and in the process she will marry Lord Vishnu also.

So Vedavati was then reborn as Sita, the daughter of Janak.

Anand Sagar's Ramayan showed this story exactly as it's written in Valmiki, if you are interested in seeing it. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx-DijxFIT4

Also in Valmiki, there is no concept of Maya Sita/Chhaya Sita during Sita haran. It is the actual Sita who is abducted and the actual Sita who undergoes the Agni pariksha. The concept of Chhaya Sita being abducted and the real Sita being hidden with Agni Dev is a Tulasi Ramayan concept.
Edited by ..RamKiJanaki.. - 8 years ago
RisingPhoenix thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Hello all
Your discussion has given me immense knowledge
I was not able to be active on MB forum though I personally loved it due to my 10th boards
But I'll try to be here for maximum time
FeistyQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Since all are talking about Sita's name, though there are many ppl named after her, a set of ppl don't believe in naming their daughter Sita or names of Sita, as they believe it brings ill luck to the child! I know my cousin was first named Vaidehi but Aunt's family forced to change that name !
Panoramic thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Some versions of the Ramayana suggest that Sita was a reincarnation of Vedavati ...As per Valmiki Ramayana, Sita was found by King Janaka while ploughing a field.. he found a baby girl in the furrows and named her Sita who was thus not born from a mother's womb (ayonija)
There no such background story given valmiki Ramayana I guess... I maybe wrong... But this what I heard...
dazzles thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
oh i like sita more than any other indian womens in history.she is aperfect ideology of indian women...
as awomen she completes her every duties towards her parents,husband and children and also she give justies to herself.when ram insult her selfrespect she forgive him.but never go back to him...that's why i adore her...