Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

CouchPotato90 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 8 years ago
Pak shows can credited for creating amazing OSTs, but the funk of the OST for 'Aunn Zara' is the only one that still resonates with me, the cliched punjabi beats notwithstanding. 😆
Edited by CouchPotato90 - 8 years ago
1018283 thumbnail

Originally posted by: CouchPotato90

No matter how cute OsMaya look together, they will never be able to top the magic, cuteness, legacy and epic awesomeness that was Aunn Zara.

Oh, Pakistani TV! Where were you all these years when I developed a permanent concussion from constantly banging my head against the wall while my mother happily lapped up all the dim-witted indian soap operas with impunity! Sigh! 😒

But aren't they basically the same? OsMaya and Aunn/Zara, I mean 😆 And am I the only one who wasn't that much impressed with Aunn Zara? It's nice and sweet, something you watch to relax, but nothing that would leave a lasting impression - on me, at least 😒

lol. My mom used to watch Pak dramas and we joined her/them, though that's been years. The only dramas I really remember, till now, are Mehndi Wale Haath (which I liked up till that huge leap) and Tere Pehlu Mein (which seemed to have stretched beyond acceptable). Anyone knows these two oldies? 😆 After that, I switched to Indian soaps, occasionally (I don't watch that much TV, tbh) and when I was younger, I enjoyed some shows. Now, when somewhat more mature, I lose interest rather quickly because I can't tolerate the same pattern again and again, badly shaped characters and too much glorification of the FL.

DeD brought me back to Pak soaps. Aunn Zara I still have to complete, but I'm way too lazy. Started Goya and am liking it. And also, watch Gul-e-Rana, it looks interesting.
ABBY_JERAN thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 9

Originally posted by: Amina-Zahra

But aren't they basically the same? OsMaya and Aunn/Zara, I mean 😆 And am I the only one who wasn't that much impressed with Aunn Zara? It's nice and sweet, something you watch to relax, but nothing that would leave a lasting impression - on me, at least 😒

lol. My mom used to watch Pak dramas and we joined her/them, though that's been years. The only dramas I really remember, till now, are Mehndi Wale Haath (which I liked up till that huge leap) and Tere Pehlu Mein (which seemed to have stretched beyond acceptable). Anyone knows these two oldies? 😆 After that, I switched to Indian soaps, occasionally (I don't watch that much TV, tbh) and when I was younger, I enjoyed some shows. Now, when somewhat more mature, I lose interest rather quickly because I can't tolerate the same pattern again and again, badly shaped characters and too much glorification of the FL.

DeD brought me back to Pak soaps. Aunn Zara I still have to complete, but I'm way too lazy. Started Goya and am liking it. And also, watch Gul-e-Rana, it looks interesting.

TERE PEHLU MEIN was the first superhit show if Sami Khan...it made him a superstar overnight ...I watched a few scenes as I M a HUGE Sami fan
sourmisery thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

I'd disagree with your take on AZ. Aunn Zara bhale sounds like the story of the titular characters but it's really not your typical rom-com. Sure, all the hijinks revolve around AZ's married life but I see it as more of a coming of age story of almost every character in the show. Aunn and Zara's "love story" is nothing to write home about because it's really not your typical love story with the story ending at an "I love you" or a "Qubool Hai". They ended at this rather ambiguous point as well. What makes AZ stand out is that it was so different from the other kitchen politics, dukhyari bahu, zaalim samaj stories. It was a story with heart, one that guaranteed you pure entertainment in the hour you'd sit in front of the TV when it aired. I have never seen my parents laugh so much at a drama than they did while AZ was on-air. It wasn't an out&out comedy but not a typical family drama high on tension either. It had all these different elements which made it truly stand out.

Plus, OsMaya's chemistry in AZ was wonderfully explored by Haissam. There was something free and unrestrained about they way they fought like wild cats which made for some good laugh but they also had this sweet side, romantic side to them when they sat on the stairs under the moonlight and Aunn couldn't keep his eyes off Zara. I've grown to appreciate AZ as a whole over the time cuz aisa ab Pak TV pe nahin milta. Like, after AZ I personally didn't see any show where the girl can so freely kick a guy on the nose, pull his hair, slap him. Or the guy being this shaatir planner, showing obvious signs of being horny (it's true xD), being so obviously grey! It was so progressive in terms of story telling and characters. On its own, it's not hard to brush AZ off, 'haan buss theek hi hai..' but when I compare it with the other shows on TV, I appreciate it all the more because it's so RARE to get dramas like this which provide such wholesome entertainment.

Kya nahin tha show mein? Singing, dancing, pop culture references, an actual story that wrapped up nicely! Pura package show tha! Not without its flaws, I know, but overall the goods of it massively outweigh the bad.

Oh, gosh! Tere Pehlu Mein?! Kya yaad dila diya! That show went on forever! Whenever I used to tune in to Geo, yehi chal raha hota tha!
CouchPotato90 thumbnail

Yaar, I believe that it is quite the contrary because Aunn Zara as characters were held ransom to the interpretation by Osman and Maya respectively. So, the overtones lent to Aunn and Zara could have varied vastly depending upon Osman and Maya's whims at any given point of time. Osman and Maya on any other show could essay a role which would be worlds apart from Aunn and Zara while the opposite just cannot be true. So, I personally believe (with the slightest streak of bias) any other character portrayed by Osman and Maya to be inherently incapable of recreating the same magic witnessed in Aunn Zara. In essence, Osman and Maya may not have been anything more to Aunn and Zara than a mere crutch. Also, significant was the vision that the director Haissam Hussain wanted for Aunn and Zara to materialize on screen which may have influenced the portrayal of Aunn and Zara by Osman and Maya. So, the puppets that were the characters of Aunn and Zara being strung by the director may have been tempered against the natural instincts of Osman and Maya.

Secondly, you are not alone in not being overly impressed by the show (there may be other naysayers as well, on this forum). In fact, I'd confess that beyond episode 14, my interest tapered off to an extent that it often waxed and waned towards the end. So, the endurance and staying power of Aunn Zara as a show not just survived but thrived despite its fallacies. And, I'm sure that millions of people in Pakistan and a billion in India would happily testify to the same.

Also, I share your view that the show may not be substantial per se but has its USP rooted in its simplicity and zany normalcy which seems to me to be rather dichotomous to the otherwise boisterous predisposition of Indians and Pakistanis.

And, in its simplicity lies the allure that incorrigibly enamoured me to 'Aunn Zara', perhaps to a fault.

So, if anything, I am the renegade here.

Cheers. 😉

P.S : My all-time favorite Pak Shows would be as follows :
1. Aunn Zara
2. Dastaan
3. Goya
4. Pyaare Afzal
5. Zindagi Gulzar Hai
6. Kahi Un Kahi

Edited by CouchPotato90 - 8 years ago
1018283 thumbnail

Originally posted by: lostmymusic.

I'd disagree with your take on AZ. Aunn Zara bhale sounds like the story of the titular characters but it's really not your typical rom-com. Sure, all the hijinks revolve around AZ's married life but I see it as more of a coming of age story of almost every character in the show. Aunn and Zara's "love story" is nothing to write home about because it's really not your typical love story with the story ending at an "I love you" or a "Qubool Hai". They ended at this rather ambiguous point as well. What makes AZ stand out is that it was so different from the other kitchen politics, dukhyari bahu, zaalim samaj stories. It was a story with heart, one that guaranteed you pure entertainment in the hour you'd sit in front of the TV when it aired. I have never seen my parents laugh so much at a drama than they did while AZ was on-air. It wasn't an out&out comedy but not a typical family drama high on tension either. It had all these different elements which made it truly stand out.

Plus, OsMaya's chemistry in AZ was wonderfully explored by Haissam. There was something free and unrestrained about they way they fought like wild cats which made for some good laugh but they also had this sweet side, romantic side to them when they sat on the stairs under the moonlight and Aunn couldn't keep his eyes off Zara. I've grown to appreciate AZ as a whole over the time cuz aisa ab Pak TV pe nahin milta. Like, after AZ I personally didn't see any show where the girl can so freely kick a guy on the nose, pull his hair, slap him. Or the guy being this shaatir planner, showing obvious signs of being horny (it's true xD), being so obviously grey! It was so progressive in terms of story telling and characters. On its own, it's not hard to brush AZ off, 'haan buss theek hi hai..' but when I compare it with the other shows on TV, I appreciate it all the more because it's so RARE to get dramas like this which provide such wholesome entertainment.

Kya nahin tha show mein? Singing, dancing, pop culture references, an actual story that wrapped up nicely! Pura package show tha! Not without its flaws, I know, but overall the goods of it massively outweigh the bad.

Oh, gosh! Tere Pehlu Mein?! Kya yaad dila diya! That show went on forever! Whenever I used to tune in to Geo, yehi chal raha hota tha!

Are, I didn't say that it was a "typical rom-com" or anything like that. Seems like you misunderstood me 😆 I agree that it was unique especially compared to the many dramas we get, nowadays. The chemistry between Aunn and Zara was really great and the steady progression of the story and characters was also good. If you'd ask me where it lacked I probably won't be able to point my finger on it, exactly. I still can't explain it, tbh - the first episodes, I devoured like crazy. I'd watch it in the middle of the night and go to sleep very late 😆 But I don't know... somewhere along the way, I just lost the touch? It didn't hold my interest in such a tight hold, anymore.

So, I'll emphasis: For me, personally, Aunn Zara was just "alright". The plot and execution was unique, I agree to that, but to me it was nothing too outstanding, is all. A light watch, mostly (which seldom impress me). To that, I should probably add that serials have a hard time holding my interest in the long run. It's pretty rare that I watch a serial till the end without losing my interest somewhere in the middle of it. I'm choosy like that 😳 Hence, why my not being impressed with Aunn Zara is a mere question of taste 😉

lol, yes, that's true. I remember, years after I'd stopped watching Tere Pehlu mein, I once switched to Geo and it was airing - and I didn't understand anything. The FL was married to a completely different guy, surrounded by complete strangers (to me) etc... I hate it when shows run for so long! 😕
sourmisery thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Are, I didn't say that it was a "typical rom-com" or anything like that. Seems like you misunderstood me 😆 I agree that it was unique especially compared to the many dramas we get, nowadays. The chemistry between Aunn and Zara was really great and the steady progression of the story and characters was also good. If you'd ask me where it lacked I probably won't be able to point my finger on it, exactly. I still can't explain it, tbh - the first episodes, I devoured like crazy. I'd watch it in the middle of the night and go to sleep very late 😆 But I don't know... somewhere along the way, I just lost the touch? It didn't hold my interest in such a tight hold, anymore.

So, I'll emphasis: For me, personally, Aunn Zara was just "alright". The plot and execution was unique, I agree to that, but to me it was nothing too outstanding, is all. A light watch, mostly (which seldom impress me). To that, I should probably add that serials have a hard time holding my interest in the long run. It's pretty rare that I watch a serial till the end without losing my interest somewhere in the middle of it. I'm choosy like that 😳 Hence, why my not being impressed with Aunn Zara is a mere question of taste 😉

lol, yes, that's true. I remember, years after I'd stopped watching Tere Pehlu mein, I once switched to Geo and it was airing - and I didn't understand anything. The FL was married to a completely different guy, surrounded by complete strangers (to me) etc... I hate it when shows run for so long! 😕

Arey na na, wasn't saying you are wrong to not be impressed by it. It's as Lala said, there are many people who just though the show is alright and it's completely fine to do so. Sab ka apna apna taste hai. But I personally have grown to love this show so much that I was just pointing out all the reasons why I love this show and why I think it's one Pak drama which is a must watch because of its sheer quality. I'll be honest, watching the last third of the show wasn't smooth for me either. That crazy marathoning was completely switched off in my brain. But thinking about it, that seriousness of the show was also needed. Like I said, it's not flawless but which show is. The essay was just me going all jazbati 😆

Never watched TPM. Just that it was on all the freakin' time! Uff! Pak soaps used to be something!
surbhimathur thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Couldn't stop myself from making one. hope you'll like it 😳

CouchPotato90 thumbnail

Arey na na, wasn't saying you are wrong to not be impressed by it. It's as Lala said, there are many people who just though the show is alright and it's completely fine to do so. Sab ka apna apna taste hai. But I personally have grown to love this show so much that I was just pointing out all the reasons why I love this show and why I think it's one Pak drama which is a must watch because of its sheer quality. I'll be honest, watching the last third of the show wasn't smooth for me either. That crazy marathoning was completely switched off in my brain. But thinking about it, that seriousness of the show was also needed. Like I said, it's not flawless but which show is. The essay was just me going all jazbati 😆

Never watched TPM. Just that it was on all the freakin' time! Uff! Pak soaps used to be something!

Mera bas chale toh main toh 'Aunn Zara' ko subcontinent se 'Emmy' ke liye nominate karwa doon. 😆
1018283 thumbnail

I guess I understand what you mean 😆 Though, I can't say I've ever loved a show enough to be "jazbaati" about it (though, books, maybe). Although, DeD might fall into that category for me - definitely my favorite drama! 😳 But I understand the sentiment, still! And honestly? I did enjoy your post on Aunn Zara; even if I didn't like it as much, how you worded your feelings was nice 😉

Well, I still have to complete the show. Who knows, maybe I'll come to like it more, again? It's probably just this time of the year I chose to start watching Pak shows; DeD is the only one I finished quickly. Goya is hanging in the air, as is the 4th episode of Gul-e-Rana - I just don't come to it, right now. Not in the mood for shows or any entertainment, at this time *sigh* 😭

lol, you didn't miss out on much, then, I assure you! That show traumatised me, I tell you 😆
Edited by Amina-Zahra - 8 years ago