Beneath The Surface - An IshRa SS | Last Ch - Pg 28

EkPahelii thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 9 years ago
Author' note:
A lot of posts and discussions I have had recently with quite a few members on this forum have had one thing in common - the need to highlight Ishita' plight to Raman.

She may not show her scars but she too is in pain this is my attempt to have a take on what makes Raman notice, he isnt the only one with a broken heart and betrayed trust in this relationship.

The thought had been on my mind for a while now - the spoilers for this week' tracks sorta gave way to this one over the weekend so hope you guys enjoy this πŸ˜³
Edited by EkPaheli - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

EkPahelii thumbnail
Index

• Chapter 1 - Lessons In Masquerading - page 1 

•  Chapter 2 - Delusions, Deceptions and Denials.      Page 8 

• Chapter 3 - Some Shocks And A Miracle.  Page 15 

• Chapter 4- The Strength To Smile.   Page 22

• Chapter 5- Kindred Spirits.  - Page 28 

Edited by EkPaheli - 9 years ago
EkPahelii thumbnail

Chapter 1 - Lessons In Masquerading

"I learned that the world didn't see the inside of you, that it didn't care a whit about the hopes and dreams, and sorrows, that lay masked by skin and bone. It was as simple, as absurd, and as cruel as that." 
 Khaled HosseiniAnd the Mountains Echoed

The world sees him as a cold, calculated, ruthless, heartless, arrogant man. He is loathed and respected, feared and awed because of the stature he has acquired owing to his success, in the short amount of time of barely six years.

However, he was not always this man.

Once he was an obedient son, a sweet older brother, a loving husband and a doting father. He was a true blue Punjabi who wore his heart on the sleeve and never shied away from baring his emotions. The people he loved knew him as the warmest, kindest, most caring and sweet person who though shy would always be there for them in their hour of need.

He loved with all his heart and gave every relationship his 100 percent.

Life was perfect and beautiful for him, until it was not.

He believed he lived in a world that was perfect.  His world was perfect - something right out of a dream, until he realized the nightmare it could turn into and did.

Gone was the illusion and with it every dream that he had. He woke up to the cruel, ugly reality that burned his world to ashes, while all he could do was stand and watch as it crumbled to dust.

He had assumed the worst was over when it was done, oh how mistaken he was. For it was only the beginning.

The carnage had barely scratched the surface.

People who deceived him did not just kill the love that he had or his capacity to feel any emotion thereafter, by ripping his heart out, they ransacked every hope he had, every dream he dared dream, every bit of happiness he ever felt and turned his world inside out.

He could have lived with a broken heart and the ruins of a failed marriage. He could have even let every trauma he ever felt slide had it not been for the worst - had he not been deprived of his own flesh and blood.

The mockery and jibes he faced from the world at large were nothing to the tears that he and his kin shed once they lost Aditya.

Every humiliation, every insult was tolerable to him but losing his son was not.

The blow was the one that changed him.

Now he is this man - one who is rude to a fault, careless and insensitive to the world that is every bit suave and stylish. Gone is the sweet, shy, content, mild-mannered Raman, who wore glasses, had a paunch whose his hair was greased back.

The mask he wore has everyone fooled so well even those who have known him all his life now do not recognize him as well as they should.

Mihir, his shadow, failed to see through him.  He could not pick up the simple fact that he never meant for Mihir to marry Trisha - all he wanted was for Mihir to speak up for himself, take a stand for the girl he loves without the debt he felt he owed to him.

Despite the things they took from him, he is thankful to his mentor and ex-wife for the one thing that they did give him.

The lessons that forged him, his new identity; he learned from them.  

The ability to wear a mask - one that deceives even those around you, the harsh lesson that the world only bends for those who have the power to make it happen were learned by him because of their doings.

Thanks to them, he is a wiser man, a guarded man - a well-hidden man.

He had assumed he had learned enough to now know it all, had perceived now that he has been burned once he wont ever make the same mistake again.

He will not ever go wrong in judging people again.

Oh, how wrong was he - how very foolish to believe he had learned all there is to it, when nothing could have been truer? But how was he supposed to know this before? How could he have learned life never stops teaching you - he was yet to meet her till then after all, their paths had not yet crossed, as they now have.

He has heard the idiom - never judge a book by its cover, so many times, - a lesson which applies to him as well, strange how the lesson never fails to teach him something new every time that he comes to reflect upon it as well.

He has been married twice - and both his wives - an ex and a present, are as different as chalk and cheese.

Strange how though, they both have taught him the same lesson - one he first learned from Shagun and now with Ishita - is unlearning and relearning at the same time - appearances can be and are deceiving.

SWAN123 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 4
Nice and a thoughtful one! Very well etched! Makes Raman really lovable.
😊
BeautyFooL thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Wow Anni, what a beautiful scene!!You made RKB and his inner turmoil believable nd realistic.. very intelligent nd smart writing.. Will be waiting fr d next part..
gupta.aditi20 thumbnail
Hey Aani
First of all you derseve πŸ‘ for writing something like this...
the one phrase :NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER"... is so apt for both the leads
raman on one hand behaves to be an arrogant ruthless unworthy jerk to the outside world... when there is nothing but emptiness and feeling of betrayal in his heart... he everyday fights with his inner self... and masks all the goodness that he has behind the mask of anger...  first meet and you'll surely come to the conclusion of the heartless man... yes he is heartless only because it has been brutally broken by a devil who came to his life masked as an angel.. his ex wife...  
and then there is ishita who masks her broken heart.. the rejections and taunts she faced overtime.. the cries and pleadings of the lost women.. .the carefree girl that she once was... and most of all the inability to bear a child... all these things behind that peaceful smile... which makes all her near and dear ones think that now she is happy and finally moved on... first look at her we see her contented smile... and all we think that she is content in the world...
i loved how you have showed raman's pain...  the feeling of rejection by his own son and wife... and the complete relation to this phrase.. being taught by two women in life.. though differently... 
i wish creatives would have explored ishita's pain... or raman realiising that she too has a broken heart.. after the engagement fiasco... but alas.. i so wish this track to be explored... and this would indeed be interesting how raman reads behind the peaceful facade of ishita... 
i know my comment is little bit long... hope it didn't bore you... 
Edited by gupta.aditi20 - 9 years ago
ishra24 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Hey well done as usual!

With your every post I run out of praises. It's awesome. Continue soon.

BTW I too was thinking that Ishita's plight must be brought forward. I am actually writing an OS on it. It's half way done. I was suppose to post it today but I have exams and did not have more time. I think I'll post it next week but till then it will be really interesting to see your take on it!

Love your work!!!! πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜ŠπŸ˜Š
alwaysaTVFan thumbnail
Res

*** Edited

Really Aani... your disclaimer about spoilers made me wait for a day to read this? seriously, I should have been able to enjoy this as soon as it was written, my friend.

You know Raman is my muse too... Every word you wrote rang true... Our Ramans seem to be merging πŸ˜†

I could live through his pain with him. It was that descriptive and heart-wrenching. I like sombre, so I LOVE this part!!!

Please do accept my sincerest apologies, I am having an exceptionally busy time at work this afternoon, and cannot write more.

I really did not want to wait one more day to post my comments on this piece of art of yours!!!πŸ‘

Here ya go...

"A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it." - Jean de La Fontaine
Edited by always_a_TV_fan - 9 years ago
FieryLioness thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 11 Thumbnail + 6
OMG Aani u seriously give it a thought to write on this πŸ€—
seriously we all wanna see Ishita's side of story too...  this poor soul is equally hurt and broken... 
and ur start is superb , showing what Raman have bin through .. and how hard life bin to him...
he thinks he has bin through the worst of hell and nothing can be more worse...
but life gonna prove him wrong that he knows it all... 
waiting for to read how he will realize Ishita's pain...
ur ending is nice wid quote " never judge a book by its cover" very very true and something we all should follow in our lives...
eagerly waiting for next update...
plz don't make us wait for long... 
Edited by FieryLioness - 9 years ago
happenstance thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Res- I don't think I can get away with any more grinning in front of my boss for now will be back
Edited- glad I did wait to read this, it had me all misty eyed. That was just so beautifully written, I want more please😳

Couple of things:

And the mountains echoed is a favourite of mine and I love that quote. Loved the way you conveyed the 'lessons' that he has learnt and is now learning all over again but in a completely different fashion.

You really get into the 'nitty gritty' (for lack of a better word right word) of Raman's core and each time regardless of which OS or SS it is I feel like we as a reader also grow with Raman- and thats all down to your gift! Its a pleasure reading your work. Looking forward to the next πŸ€—
Edited by happenstance - 9 years ago