Osman Khalid Butt Exclusive Interview

chaha_khan thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Osman Khalid Butt is a writer,actor , theatre-director & choreographer based in Islamabad. His recent performance in Geo tv's Aik Nayee Cinderella in the lead role made him popular among masses. Now he is all set to do lead in another tv serial 'Aunn-Zara'. Lot of people dont know that he is also the writer of upcoming horror flick Siyaah releasing 15th march 2013.

He has also acted in films like Zibahkhana, The Silent Verse and Slackistan . he is also ambassador of several popular brands.

Q1. How come you landed in acting? How was your 1st experience? And do you still remember that?

A. My background is in theatre. I remember watching a local production of Bram Stoker's 'Dracula' on the Islamabad Club stage in 2004 and thinking I wanted to be on that side of the stage. A couple of months later, I noticed an audition poster on my university billboard for Shah Sharahbeel's 'Moulin Rouge' (staged in 2005). I went and a month of grueling auditions later was cast as the lead. Since then, I've been actively involved in the Islamabad theatre scene. Last year, I was honored to be part of Pakistan's official representation to the Cultural Olympiad in London (preceding the 2012 London Olympics): an Urdu adaptation of the play 'Taming of the Shrew' directed by Haissam Hussain. The play starred the best of the industry such as Salman Shahid, Nadia Jamil and Omair Rana. I had previously made a cameo appearance in Haissam's 'Durr-e-Shahwar' and am incredibly grateful he remembered me and asked me to join the cast of TOTS.

It was during rehearsals that Haissam approached me for the television play 'Aunn-Zara', based on Faiza Iftikhar's novel 'Hisaar-e-Mohabbat.' I remember reading the script for the first episode with him and relishing the opportunity to play the character of Aunn.

Once we returned from England after a highly successful string of performances in four cities there, Haissam called me and told me Aunn-Zara was put on hold for now but he had another character in mind for me, for a local spin on the fairytale 'Cinderella.' I was sent the script and agreed to do it because I loved Haissam's vision for the play, its setting and grandeur and vibrant imagery, and also the fact that Faiza's script featured a strong, independent female protagonist, something I find lacking in local dramas. It was an honor to be part of such a play, helmed by perhaps Pakistan's finest director.

'Aik Nayee Cinderella' as an experience was fantastic because Haissam guided me every step of the way. Having no prior television experience, there was a lot I had to learn and he was extremely patient as he mentored me. Also, Maya and Faizaan (the two other leads) became fast friends, and both helped and reassured me whenever I felt I wasn't doing my best. Of course, we had a blast on set as well; it was like one big extended family. I also found an incredible mentor and support in the form of Hina Bayat; she is as beautiful a person inside as she is out. I often sought her counsel and she was always there for me. I am so glad she gets to play my mother in Aunn-Zara as well.

Q2. When did you start taking acting seriously as a profession?

A. The moment I stepped onstage for the first performance of 'Moulin Rouge' back in 2005. It felt right. The money might have been little, but I knew I'd found my calling.Well, both theatre and television have their pros and cons. In theatre, you reach a limited audience, unfortunately; TV's a global medium. In television, the problem for me was adjusting to the idea of not knowing what the response to my character and my acting was until the drama aired. With theatre, you know instantly if you've made an impact because everything is happening live.

Q3. Share one thing you dislike about acting? Or being an actor?

A.Well, both theatre and television have their pros and cons. In theatre, you reach a limited audience, unfortunately; TV's a global medium. In television, the problem for me was adjusting to the idea of not knowing what the response to my character and my acting was until the drama aired. With theatre, you know instantly if you've made an impact because everything is happening live.

Then there's the fact that when you're an actor or in the limelight, people assume your personal life is also their business. As an example, when pictures taken from Faiza Iftikhar's personal account advertised Aunn-Zara (featuring us in wedding attire), someone with a peculiar sense of humor went to my Wikipedia page and wrote 'married to actress Maya Ali' under the Personal Life tab. It's amusing, really, the amount of free time people have on their hands to speculate and spread rumors.

Q4. What was your most rewarding moment / experience as an actor up till now?

A. Performing onstage at the Globe in London (Taming of the Shrew), and our ensemble receiving a standing ovation and great reviews. I felt such pride at representing my country on such a level.

Q5. Your inspiration as an actor?

A . My father, Dr. Khalid Said Butt. He is a living breathing encyclopedia of the how-tos of acting.

Q6. How do you perceive the television industry as a medium? And what changes you have observed in recent times in comparison with PTV's golden era?

A . I think television is a glorious medium, and the greatest thriving example of the arts in Pakistan. It feels great to know that people around the world are hooked to our dramas. I believe there is more experimentation now, but a part of me feels the role of female characters has regressed in recent times. However, there are always fine directors and scriptwriters who bring something new to the table.

Q7. Any challenging role you have done till date or is it yet to come?

A. I thought my character in 'Aunn-Zara' had a lot of interesting facets to him. The 'coming of age' arc he has, maturing from a man-child to responsible adult was challenging to portray effectively, given that the serial is a romantic-comedy.

Q8. One thing you look before accepting any offer?

A . The script and the dialogues, for sure. And whether my character has an interesting, off-beat arc.

Rapid Fire :

1.What was the one nickname you had as a kid? And you hated it the most.

I've only ever had the one childhood nickname (now abandoned), 'Meenu'. I was nicknamed Obi by my best friend more than eight years ago, and that's used so often by so many people, they sometimes forget my real name. If I had a rupee for every time I've been called 'Osama' instead of Osman…

2.What was the funniest prank you had played in school? Or played on you?

I don't know if this constitutes as being the 'funniest', but once when I was in a bathroom stall in school, a friend poured an entire bucket of water on me from the adjacent stall. I still don't know where he found that bucket from.

3.Any embarrassing moment with a crazy fan?

Nothing too embarrassing. There was this one time some aunty Facebook-messaged me a rishta for her daughter. Found that a bit bizarre. I'll tell you something, though. The most endearing moment was when I received a handwritten letter from a fan. In this age of emails and Facebook 'pokes' we've forgotten how wonderful it is to receive or send something that's actually written in ink.

4.Tell us one television character that you adore the most?

Far too many to count. But Benedict Cumberbatch makes for an amazing Sherlock (from the BBC series). Also, the entire Lannister clan from Game of Thrones, particularly Tyrion and Jaime.

5.If you were a cartoon, which one would you prefer being?

Any character from the Looney Tunes. Or Johnny Quest from the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest.

6.Tell us one thing which makes you different?

I have no filter between my brain and my mouth. I suppose that's not something I should celebrate. (Laughs)

7.The funniest / weird remark on you?

That my kajal from Aik Nayee Cinderella makes me look like a cross between Uncle Fester from the Addams Family and Edward Scissorhands. I laughed out loud at that; will definitely use it in my vlog.

8.Who is your biggest critic?

It's a tie between me and the dozens of nameless/faceless trolls on forums and social networking sites.

9.Your childhood crush?

…is now probably married with two children.

10.What are the things you love to do on the sets?

Sing classic Bollywood songs… or, alternatively, modern 'item' numbers. I also love to crack off-color jokes.

11.What is your guilty pleasure?

The TV show Vampire Diaries.

12.Phrases you overuse?

Thanks to my friends, I've started using the phrase 'ye bhi theek hai' a lot. Before that, it was 'matlab…'

13.When you look in the mirror, the 1st thing that comes to your mind?

When will my hair stop defying gravity.

14.The song that you are humming now-a-days?

Framing Hanley's cover of 'Lollipop'. Oh, and 'Madari' from the Indian Coke Studio.

15.A quote for your fans?

Because I've experienced this first-hand: never change yourself to 'fit in'. Otherwise you'll be living someone else's version of your life, not your own. And of course, thank you for all your love.