Ayesha Takia new interview

JawSoumya thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago

Equal Partners

Though he says celebrations have never been high on his list, Farhan Azmi's managed to pull out all the stops on several occasions over six years of togetherness with Ayesha Takia, 26. Soon after they met, he threw her an impromptu birthday bash when she turned 19. "He called all his friends, bought a cake and threw me a party," says Ayesha, adding. "I think that's when we understood that we really like each other." At their wedding on March 1, 2009, Farhan, 28, did all the planning. "I like things perfect – the flowers, chairs, guest list, everything," he says, laughing. And more recently, for their first wedding anniversary, he sprung yet another surprise. They flew to Dubai, her favourite destination, and stayed at the exclusive Desert Palm in Al Awir. Their villa had a private pool. "Ayesha doesn't swim much since she doesn't like public pools," he says, while she adds, "I had no idea. He told me just before we left for the airport. It was a lot of fun."

Today, when you look back at your wedding day, what is that one memory that stands out?
Ayesha: I think the nikaah, because it was very private. Because it's a Muslim ceremony, you're just asked to say qabool hai, and you say yes. So it was very quick, not dramatic like walking around the fire. In one second I just said 'Haan' and signed the papers and we were married. But then the whole ambience changed and people started looking at us as a married couple. So that was great.
Farhan: I remember after we said 'Qabool hai' I immediately looked at my father and thought, now it's done right. My dad is very conservative, he wasn't too happy about us hanging out. So I wanted to see his face. I was like, now he's smiling.

How did the two of you first meet?
Farhan: It's been six years now. Anna (Suniel Shetty) is like family and Ayesha's dad was working with him and representing the company, so we got friendly. One day, we were sitting at Mocha and he said you must meet my daughter. So I walked in and met her. It was very abrupt, and I had no clue she was an actor.
Ayesha: I was just 19, with one film release. After that meeting I'd keep coming to Farhan's restaurant in Mumbai so he'd come and chat with us. Natasha (her sister) would say, 'Oh God, this restaurant owner, I think he likes you because he ignores the rest of us'.

Now that you're married, have you had to make a lot of adjustments?
Ayesha: You have to ask him because I'm like a boy, very untidy, while Farhan likes everything to be spotless. When I get home, I leave a trail of clothes, shoes and jewellery behind me.
Farhan: I could write a book on how messy she is. She literally walks out of her clothes. But I can deal with that. What I can't handle is how she washes her face. She splashes water on her face like heroines in Hindi films do. When she's done, there is water everywhere. And I like a very clean and dry bathroom.
Ayesha: Farhan has OCD (Obsessive compulsive disorder). But I have become better now.

How different is it being married, and just being in a relationship?
Ayesha: People always say being a boyfriend and a husband is different. I think that's very true. Once you are married, you always feel a little more possessive, a little more responsible. We take each other more seriously.
Farhan: I've always told her love is just 10-20 per cent of a relationship, the rest is very practical. What keeps it going is how much you understand the other person, the compromises you're ready to make.

Have you had to compromise?
Ayesha: Yes but nothing life-changing. I'm not a very social person while Farhan used to party a lot. He doesn't go out so much anymore.
Farhan: There was a phase in my life when I was setting up restaurants so I had to mingle a lot. I still do go on my own, but the important functions we attend together. We respect one another's families, and we do little things to please them as a couple.

Speaking of family, Farhan was raised in a conservative environment. Ayesha, have you had to make adjustments?
Ayesha: Well, I come from a very mixed cultural family since my mom is half-English, half-Maharashtrian and my dad is Gujrati and we've never been very religious. But Farhan comes from a traditional Muslim family, which is a bit conservative, so I guess at the outset people couldn't see how we would get married. But Farhan is not orthodox at all. The fact that I'm Hindu, an actress and very independent is something he understands and accepts and even his family has been really, really welcoming.

The last year has seen several successes on other fronts – Wanted was a hit, and Farhan made his first foray into politics.
Ayesha: I'm really happy I had my first hit after my marriage. Farhan jokes that I should have gotten married like three or four years ago. 'You lost your other hits,' he says.

Would you support his career in politics?
Ayesha: At first I was very apprehensive about whether this would leave us with time for the life that we want. But now I would be happy for him if he does it.

But for now the two of you are going into business together.
Farhan: We're launching this brand together called Chai Coffee, an upmarket coffee chain across India. And next year, we're set to open Basilico House, a 10-room boutique hotel, in a village called Pilerne in Goa. It's a 200-yard-old Portuguese house, really nice property. Ayesha's also doing her own line of clothes.

Would your future plans include starting a family?
Ayesha: That's something very private. I think everyone wants us to do that so we will, but not right now.
Farhan: I agree with her. I have five sisters so there are enough kids in my house and I love them. Whenever it happens I'm sure it will be special.n

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

gamla_ thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
So Hindu ceremony is dramatic.
simran1285 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: asood43

So Hindu ceremony is dramatic.

I am going to strictly assume that she meant the Nikaah is a very simple ceremony where all you have to do is say "qabool hai" and sign a document. I have attended a few muslim weddings and I remember during one the Nikaah took only 10 minutes, I was like what that's it, the wedding's overπŸ˜†
anjali10 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: simran1285

</div>
<div>I am going to strictly assume that she meant the Nikaah is a very simple ceremony where all you have to do is say "qabool hai" and sign a document.I have attended a few muslim weddings and I remember during one the Nikaah took only 10 minutes, I was like what that's it, the wedding's overπŸ˜†

πŸ˜† πŸ˜†