Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ramas thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago

Originally posted by: Summer3

i agree about planting and singing to it. I did lot of planting myself for years and now I have become lazy and hooked on IF😆😆 and lost interest in planting . but true it is an art and not every one can acquire it.

Some of my friends to way better than I do then i have to call them for help sometimes.

ramas thumbnail
now my next question is what do you like to grow. fruits vegetables flowers.
 which vegetables are your fav.
 which fruits and
which flowers.
m_khan90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: ramas

now my next question is what do you like to grow. fruits vegetables flowers.

which vegetables are your fav.
 which fruits and
which flowers.

First I like to tell you that I am not a farmer as summer thinks.  Just do a little gardening for an excersice's sake otherwise the output is usually less than the money spent on the stuff plus my labour is free. 
Canada spreads from east to west thousands of km along the United States border.  If you go by train it takes a week just a half a way I believe. 

In Toronto its says that it is billion dollars business just for the season which starts May 21 every year and ends in Aug.  Ppl buys their gardening stuff manure, gloves plants(paniris for flowers and vegetables) but does not sow until May 21.  There are several reasons for that.  First the ground is hard cuz of the cold weather and we have to wait till the frost time is over which by May 21. I am saying May 21 which is actually last Monday of May we have statuatary holiday that means three days holidays.  Most of the ppl keep that saturday for sowing. 

Some ppl started early indoors otherwise one frost even a light one will kill the plants.  Good landscape in the front is added to the value of your property.  Other reason your neighbours would think you are as a lazy person.  Not only that neighbours might complain to the proper authority and they will issue a warning if you do not maintain your front of your property.  Neighbour complain cuz their property value is expected to decrease.

That is the introduction.  Now coming to answer to your questions.  I only sow along the backyard fence so not much space to grow everything.  I have to remember that I sow things which grows give fruit and die within 3 months.  I like to grow everything within the above parameters.  I like to grow strawberry but you have to take care a lot otherwise squirrels will eat away your strawberry. Similarly Cherries also need to take care a lot.  Therefore I avoid fruit trees.  I avoid big trees like pears.  Big trees hinders sunlight which is very rare here in Autumn and Winter. 

I like vegetables in my backyard and flowers in the front yard.  In the vegetable we have limited choices.  For eg.  Zuccini (similar to turi in India) Turi has hard skin but zuccini has a soft skin.  Beans are good choices there are several of them.  Egg plant (Brinjil) is also good to grow.  Tomatoes is everybodys favourite.  Previously I have grown potatoes.  Easy ones are garlic chive, onions(you can buy onion bulbs)
The small bulb of onions will grow in the big onions by the end of the season.  Methi, green chilies, spinach, mint (herbs like basal, rosemary etc) you buy paniris and sow in the pot and keep it on the deck handy to use in the kitchen.  Some houses have kitchen windows and you keep them for handy use.

You will love the nurseries here there are plenty of choices of flowers.  Display of backyard pond, or backyard swimming pool.  Choosing the flowers depends on the front yard.  You have to see how much sunlight you will get.  You have to choose accordingly.  Flowers names are so long or so difficult I have hard time remembering them. I know their faces so I pick them. 

At the end or towards the end of the season in the local mall there is usually an exhibition of home grown fruit, vegetables and flowers.  You get lot of ideas from there too.  
Now you must be sorry thinking that you asked me a question. Now you are stuck to read all the stuff I wrote.  So I would say sorry to you. 
PS: I did not proof read so please excuse any mistakes. 

ramas thumbnail
 Thanks for wonderful answers and info. plz don't say sorry. I read everything. I wish I can go back to my growing days. Actually we have more like 8 months of growing season. only cooler months are nov dec jan and feb and I used to grow lots of flowers. I hardly had luck with fruits and vegetables. So i gave up on them.
Anyways nice to know you. Now we are ready for next MOTW.
Edited by ramas - 15 years ago
m_khan90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: ramas

Thanks for wonderful answers and info. plz don't say sorry. I read everything. I wish I can go back to my growing days. Actually we have more like 8 months of growing season. only cooler months are nov dec jan and feb and I used to grow lots of flowers. I hardly had luck with fruits and vegetables. So i gave up on them.

Anyways nice to know you. Now we are ready for next MOTW.

Thank you for chosing me MOTW and letting me answer on the subject which I can talk about for hours.  I also thank Summer and Perfectangel for their questions.