Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mala06 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: misfit007

Mental health unfortunately comes with alot of stigma and the generations preceding us grew up with a very toxic thinking about it. This is especially so for men. For most Mental illness doesn’t even exist.

You’d be surprised how many people still try going for an exorcism over going to a psychiatrist / psychologist. 

Speaking from personal experience you can have depression for a long period of time without it stopping. I was diagnosed with it about 11 years ago when i was in my pre: early teena but i’ve had it for much longer, possibly since i was a child and its always there. I realized towards my final year of university that i have nearly all the symptoms for ADHD the side effect of which is also depression and anxiety among other things. That isn’t to say my depression is caused soley because of it but it makes it worse. 

It is very much possible for your dad to have depression but he could also be on the spectrum at the same time. 

It can be very frustrating to deal with adults in this regard so be patient and think what you want to achieve before going about how. 

For instance being formally diagnosed with AdHd  now won’t really do anything for me now because I've already suffered through the most period where it’s most challenging. 

In my dad’s case, i only want to take him to the therapist because he needs to talk to someone just to let everything out without effecting them. His depression isn’t going to go away but it may unburden him to an extent. Not much because that would require him to face things he no longer has the ability to face So long term and deep therapy is out of question too. What i can do is help him manage his current situation and symptoms. 

My Cousin’s wife and i suspect my cousin is on the spectrum too but since he refuses to get tested and it won’t really do anything for him even if he does - we just read up on how to deal with people on the spectrum and what we can do to help. 

I recommend following tips on how to deal with people who are on the spectrum while trying to use techniques for depression. It might not make a huge difference depending on his age but it may improve his quality of life. Paitently and repeatedly explaining your point until it sinks in might help. 

Also keep in mind that the older you are, the mow difficult it becomes to diagnose. I’m struggling to get diagnosed because it’s really difficult in my age to separate symptoms of adhd from symptoms of depression. My behaviour is a result of alot of things including my environment. 

That being said doctors are usually shifty and you generally need to want to be there and willing for therapy or diagnostic tests to work. 

Nowdays, mental  illnesses  is a lot common than we think. Some years ago I had listened to a BBC programme  where the doctor  told that, nowdays, people are experiencing  depression  at a very young age.It is  because of our social lives  with  social sites and television.  

About my personal  experience,  my mother suffered  form schizophrenia. Its a mental  disorder  where you see hallucinations. It was about 10 years ago. She started  imaginig that someone is mixing something  in our water tank, which is slowly killing us. It was so weird  for us as she is very kind and loving and doesn't  think ill of any people. We were so  dombfounded that she can think of something like that. Then, she started imagining someone had set up CCTV camera in our house and looking at us. She also imagined our relatives  making plans to kill her. Initially  we thought that she watches too many serials. Hence, these kinds of thoughts  are comming. But later when the symptoms  worsen, i told her to check the doctor. She didint take my suggestion  seriously  as she felt  what she was seeing is real.  Only when someone  outside of my house told about someone  having same problem she agreed to go to the doctor. 

My mother is so afraid of telling  other about it because  she thinks that our marriage  won't happen if someone finds about it . One of my very close friend is also suffering from similar  type of mental disease. Nowdays when I talk to it to others I am surprised  that many are suffering. It is better  that people take these symptoms  seriously.  The early  it is identified,  the easier  it is to treat.

mala06 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 4 years ago

Originally posted by: misfit007

Speaking of trauma, man if kiara is alive she is going have such trauma backing her. I think Mehra’s just need family counseling. Wouldn’t it be cool if a show actually showed something like this. 

It could be entertaining and yet show something important at the same time. But since when does ITV actually care about good content 

That would be awesome.  I  have never  shown any ITV show  that deals with mental disorders. People can be made aware about it through  tv show too. Many child who are usually separated from their parents suffer from mental disorder. Hence, it can happen to Kiara.