Views

Users

Frequent Posters

saishyama thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 6 years ago
Kakasaheb's first meeting with Sai

Sai

Hari Sitaram Dixit, was well-known as Kaka Saheb, with respect, to all the devotees of Sai Baba, and is remembered with love.His earlier background is well-known, pleasing and
interesting. Therefore, I respectfully narrate it to the ardent devotees. It will give happiness to those who are eager to hear his life-story He, who did not even know the name of Sai' till 1909, became a great devotee of Sai and was known as such to all.Many years after his university education, Nanasaheb Chandorkar came once to Lonavala. Dixit was his old friend, whom he met there after several years. They talked about their welfare, with each other. Dixit told him about his accident in London, when his foot slipped while boarding a train and was injured. The trouble that he suffered from could not be relieved inspite of
hundreds of remedies. The detailed story about this injury came out in the natural course of conversation. It reminded Nana of the usefulness of Sree Sai Baba in such cases. " Do you feel that you would like to get rid of your lameness for ever? If so, come for my Guru's darshan', said Nana to him. Then, Nana believing it to be unique, narrated in detail about Sai's nature, glory and greatness, Sai being the jewel among saints. " I draw to me my man from afar, even across the seven seas, like a sparrow with a string fastened to its feet .This is Baba's usual assurance. Moreover Nana had given a long discourse.He said: "If you are not his man, you will
not be attracted to him. If you are not his man, you will not even have his darshan. This is one of Baba's significant aspects. Will you go there on your own? Be it so. Hearing all the description about Sai, Dixit felt a great satisfaction. Then he said to Nana: "I will take
Baba's darshan.Why talk about the pain in my leg! The whole body is perishable. Let the injury to my leg remain as long as it does. I am not worried about it.I will go for your Guru's darshan', but for the bliss of attaining liberation. I have no wish for small pleasures and I will not plead for them.There is no happiness other than union with Brahman. That is the only priceless happiness. I will become a servitor of your Guru only for this invaluable bliss. Let the lameness of my leg be. It does not distress me. But I would pray that my lame, fickle mind is brought around.I have got very tired of making efforts but the mind does not become steady. When I make efforts to control it, it runs amok without my knowledge. However attentive I may be in trying to control it, I do not know when it will escape. I am greatly amazed.Therefore, Nana, with my whole heart I will take your Guru's
darshan. I will pray to him to remove this impairment of my mind .

Sai was supremely eager for the spiritual attainment of such a devotee who was not interested in the pleasures of the perishable body but who longed for the ultimate bliss.The election of the then Legislative Council was the topic of conversation everywhere. The people were engaged in this work, in many places. Kakasaheb came suddenly to Nagar (Ahmednagar) to canvass for votes for himself, and was meeting friends for that purpose.There was a chieftain there by the name of Kakasaheb Mirikar. Dixit had close family relations with him. He,therefore, stayed there with him. According to the custom of those times, an exhibition of horses was arranged at Nagar. Therefore, people from all walks of life were engaged in work connected with it.
Balasaheb Mirikar, the Mamlatdar of Kopergaon, was present at Ahmednagar town for the exhibition.After Dixit's work was completed, he came there. How would it be possible to go to Shirdi? Who will take me there?' Once the work had come to an end, his attention was on the way to Shirdi. Dixit's intense desire was only for the opportunity to have Baba's darshan'. Who will come with me? Who will take me before Baba and
place me at his feet?' These were Dixit's dilemmas.Once the work for the elections was over, Dixit was only worried about how he would go to Shirdi. He respectfully
requested Mirikar.Balasaheb Mirikar was the son of Kakasaheb Mirikar. They discussed among themselves as to who should go with Dixit.If any one of them would accompany him, then there would be no need for another. Then who should definitely go with him,was being debated.
Man thinks of ordinary solutions; but God plans something else. For Dixit's journey to Shirdi, something unexpected happened. On this side, there was this turmoil. On the other side,observe the agitation. Knowing the strong desire of the devotee, see how Samartha yearned with compassion!
While Dixit was driven by these thoughts and was seated,worrying about this, Madhavrao himself came to Nagar. Everyone was surprised. The father-in-law of Madhavrao had telegraphed him from Nagar that his mother-in-law was gravely ill and he should come immediately with his wife.As soon as he received the telegram, he prepared to leave
after obtaining Baba's permission. Both of them went to Chithali station.They caught the 3 o'clock train and both went to Nagar. They
took a tonga and got down at the door.At the same time, Nanasaheb Panshe and Appasaheb Gadre were also there, in connection with the exhibition and were passing by that road.As Madhavrao was alighting from the tonga, they saw him unexpectedly. They were quite surprised. They could not contain their joy.
" Look at this! By good fortune Madhavrao, who is the sevakari of Vithoba temple, is here, from Shirdi! Who can be better than him to take Dixit to Shirdi? Then calling out to him, said: " Dixit Kaka has come to Mirikar's. Go and see him. Marvel at Baba's leelas! Dixit is our remarkable friend. You will get acquainted with him. He is very eager to go to Shirdi and your arrival will delight him. Giving this message to Madhavrao, they gave the information to Dixit; whose anxiety was relieved on hearing it. He was extremely pleased. When Madhavrao visited his in-laws, he found that his mother-in-law was better. So he rested a little. Then Mirikar sent for him.Respecting the invitation, a little after sunset Madhavrao left to meet Dixit.When Balasaheb introduced him, it was his first meeting. Both of them decided to take the 10 o'clock train, the same night. After this plan was decided, see what an unusual thing happened next. Balasaheb removed the curtain over Baba's portrait This was a photograph of Baba which was worshipped by Megha, a true and great
devotee of Baba, with the conviction that Baba was the holy, three-eyed Shankar,incarnate.

Because the glass was broken, it was sent to Nagar with Balasaheb for repairs. That was how it initially left Shirdi.This picture, having been repaired, was in Mirikar's drawing room, covered with cloth, as if it was waiting for Dixit.
Balasaheb was to return it after the conclusion of the horse-show. But there was yet some more time for that. Therefore, he entrusted it to Madhavrao.Removing the cloth, he uncovered it. He gave it in Madhavrao's keeping; and said: "Go upto Shirdi happily, in
Baba's company. When he first cast a glance at that portrait, which was pleasing in all aspects, Kakasaheb was filled with joy. After prostrating before it with reverence, he began to look at it. Experiencing this unusual incident, and seeing Sai Samartha's photograph unexpectedly, which was so pleasing and pure, Dixit's eyes were riveted to it.  He was greatly delighted that he, for whose darshan' he was
longing, his portrait embodying his form, could be seen by him, on the way itself. It was a strange coincidence that it was at Kakasaheb
Mirikar's house, at the same time when Dixit was there, having come earlier from Shirdi. It seemed that Sai Samartha had come at Mirikar's residence, under a pretext, to fulfil Dixit's heartfelt longing. At Lonavala itself, the attraction for the Guru had taken place when he had met Nana and talked at length with him. It was the seed sown for the meeting.
Otherwise why should this portrait from Shirdi have come here at this time and remained covered for so long at this place? So be it.After it was so decided, Madhavrao and Dixit,
taking the picture with them, set out happily. They both left for the station after dinner, that same night. They paid the second-class fare and bought the tickets. Right at the stroke of ten, the sound of the train could be heard. They also saw that the second-class compartments were crammed with passengers.The situation was such that both of them were greatly worried. The time was also short. What arrangement could be made and how? Be it so. Now, because, of the overcrowding, both of them decided to return to their place and go the next day to Shirdi.At that moment, Dixit saw the guard of the train with whom he had an acquaintance. He easily made arrangements for them to travel by the first class.Then, sitting in the train, they started talking about Baba, to their heart's content. Madhavrao narrated the nectar-like
stories. Dixit overflowed with joy.Thus that journey was completed very joyfully. Time passed very quickly. The train reached Kopergaon. They alighted in a very happy mood. At the same time, they unexpectedly saw Nanasaheb Chandorkar at the station. Dixit was full of happiness that they had met each other. Nana too had come for Baba's darshan' and was proceeding to Shirdi. All the three of them were amazed at this coincidence.Then, the three of them hired a tonga and left on the way, animatedly talking. They had a bath in the Godavari, on the
way, and reached holy Shirdi.
Later, after having Sai's darshan' Dixit's heart melted and his eyes filled with tears. The water of Self Bliss spilt and over flowed. " I too was waiting for you. Then I sent Shama to meet you, all the way to Nagar, spoke Sai clearly to him.Hearing these words, every pore in Dixit's body was filled with joy; his throat was choked with emotion; his mind was
full of happiness; and he was sweating profusely. His body trembled; his mind was engrossed in Self Bliss; his eyes were half closed and he was immersed in a cloud of joy." To-day my eyes have served their purpose . Saying this he embraced Baba's feet. He felt truly blessed and the world could not contain his joy.

saishyama thumbnail
Lakshmi's bhakri

During the day, it was the rule that the Durbar was open for all. Generally, nobody was refused permission. But there were strict rules for the night. When the evening round was over, the assembled people returned to their respective homes (from the Masjid) and returned to the Masjid only the next morning at sunrise. But considering the devotion of Bhagat Mhalsapati, Dada(Kelkar) and Lakshmi, they were not denied permission even at night. The same Lakshmi, with great love, daily sent vegetables and bhakris' for Baba, at the right time. How can this service be adequately praised! When you hear about the origin of the practice of sending bhakris' you will understand about Baba's compassionate nature, and his oneness with dogs and pigs. You will be amazed.
One evening, Baba was sitting against the wall, leaning his chest against the bannisters, engaged in lovable talk, when Lakshmi arrived there.Tatya Patil was near by and there were others also. Lakshmi made her obeisance to Baba, when Baba said to her:
 " Lakshmi, I am hungry . "Baba, I will go and bring bhakari'. No sooner than I go that I shall return with it .Saying this she left immediately. She baked some bhakris' and returned without loss of time, along with some
vegetables and chutney, and placed this snack before Baba. Baba picked up the plate and put it before the dog as it was. "Baba what have you done? , Lakshmi asked promptly. " In spite of my having gone so swiftly and baked the bhakris' quickly, you offered them to the dog! What is this novel way of yours! You said you were hungry. What kind of marvellous hunger is this? You have not even had one small morsel of it! You have
unnecessarily troubled me .Then Baba said to her: "Why do you fret unnecessarily?
Satisfying the hunger of this dog is the same as giving me appeasement. Bear this in mind.
Isn't this dog a living creature? All beings experience the same hunger. Though it is dumb and I can speak, is there any difference in the hunger that both experience?
He who feeds those distressed by hunger really serve me with food. Know this and regard it as an axiomatic truth .This incident was a simple one, connected with daily life,
but the lesson was full of spiritual value. Sai's words for such a lesson were perfectly flavoured with love and kindness.
saishyama thumbnail
The Rohilla's chant

Sai

A Rohilla (Pathan) came to Shirdi and was attracted by Baba's virtues. He stayed there for a long time and lovingly devoted himself to Baba. He was hefty like a male-buffalo. He was self-willed and cared for no one. He wore only a kafni' upto his ankles and came and lived in the Masjid.Whether it was day or night, whether it was in the Masjid or the Chavdi he would recite the verses from the Koran at a high pitch, with extreme enthusiasm and full freedom.Maharaj was Peace Incarnate. But the villagers were very weary. Even at midnight his continuous recitation would disturb everybody's sleep. During the day, the people had to toil in the hot sun, in the fields and forests. At night, they could not get undisturbed sleep. Therefore the people were annoyed. May be, Baba was not troubled. As for the people, they felt that they had committed a great sin. No peaceful sleep at
night. They were annoyed with the Rohilla. They were on the horns of dilemma. How long could they endure this? Day and night, this nuisance was a big problem for them. They were greatly worried.Rohilla was, as it is, a head strong person. To make matters worse, he had Baba's strong support. He became more uncontrollable than what he was before and gave himself airs. He became arrogant and disdainful and behaved insolently with the people. He behaved more recklessly than before and the whole village turned against him. Sai being very kind hearted, like a mother, always shielded those who surrendered to him. Therefore all the villagers came to him and entreated him.But Baba paid no attention. On the contrary he told the villagers: "Do not harass the Rohilla. He is very dear to
me.This Rohilla's wife is a virago and not ready to stay with him. She is eager to come to me by eluding him. That virtueless woman does not observe the veil. She is without modesty and shameless. If driven out she comes back forcibly into the house.As soon as he stops shouting, the wicked woman seizes the opportunity to enter. When he shouts she flees, leaving him pure of speech, body and mind. That gives me profound happiness. No one should oppose him. Let him shout to his heart's content. I cannot pass the night without him. I have great pleasure because of him. Shouts of this type are greatly to my advantage. In this way the Rohilla is benevolent and makes me extremely happy. Let him shout as he pleases. In that itself is my well-being. Otherwise, that wicked wife will trouble me.When he himself gets tired, he will keep quiet automatically. Your purpose will be served and that wicked woman will not trouble me . When Maharaj said so, any further effort was futile. If Baba's mind is not disturbed, then why should we be concerned.
As it is, the Rohilla was very enthusiastic. Moreover, he was now licensed by Baba. So he started to recite the Quranic verses very loudly and created chaos.The people were amazed at Baba's forbearance. Instead of the
splitting headache, the shouting sent him into rapture. How horrible were the shouts! It was a wonder that they did not parch his throat!But Baba still persisted in telling all: "Do not admonish him .Outwardly, the Rohilla appeared to be a mad Moslem saint, but he respected Baba greatly. Happily, according to the tenets of his religion, he would recite the verses of the Koran. He did not care whether his own voice was soft or shrill. No sooner was he inspired that he would start shouting the nameof God.Nature had endowed him with a rattling voice. He regularly and constantly shouted "Allah Ho Akbar and the verses with great joy. Baba disliked association with one who loathed God's name.
Then why would he think of driving away the Rohilla when he was continuously repeating God's name? Wherever my devotees are singing my praises I am present there. There I am without rest, alert and without sleep . As
if it were to prove the utterance in the Bhagvat Gita that Baba behaved in this way!The Rohilla subsisted on whatever he got by way of alms or else went hungry occasionally. How could he have a wife who could go and bother Baba?The Rohilla was reduced to penury. How could he have a marriage or a wife! Baba was a celibate from childhood. So the whole story was allegorical.Let him sing with a loud voice. Baba is satisfied by the recitation of the verses. He listened to them day in and day
out. Sleep was like poison compared to the verse. Compared to the enlightening preachings of the verses, the complaints of the villagers were hollow. This was a strategy
followed by Baba to give the villagers the correct perspective.In this manner Baba conveyed the lesson to one and all that he liked the Rohilla's company because he loved God's name. The things perceived one who perceives and that which he perceives (all the three), is God for him. Such a person, whether he be a Brahmin or Pathan, is regarded as the same.
saishyama thumbnail
Nane Ghat's ride

Sai

Like the outposts of an emperor situated at different places, with officers in charge to look after the population and its prosperity.Similarly, the emperor of boundless happiness manifests at different places and controls the invisible reins of his own empire.Once, a certain gentleman, who had the privilege of an
education in English, holding a Bachelor of Arts degree, climbed step by step and became a big officer. Later on, he became a Mamlatdar and then rose to be an Assistant Collector. Because of good fortune, he came in
contact with Sai Baba. Outwardly these posts look very attractive, like mountains from a distance, but if you go nearer to them, they are found surrounded by trees which give an itch. But at the same time these posts command prestige.Those pleasant days are long past when people used to crave for such posts. The general public, too, honoured the
officers and mutually they were happy.Let us now talk about present conditions. Gone are those days when it was nice to be in Government Service. Now the responsibilities have increased and the emoluments are
insufficient. In the olden times, the Mamlatdar was respected and the Collector was honoured. But that grandeur is no more though one works hard.Be it so. After all, by spending a lot of money on education and after studying very hard, one was able to acquire these high posts. First of all, one had to pass the Bachelor of Arts degree; then become a clerk in the government office; earn a monthly salary of Rs. 30/-. In this manner, one had to go on for some time.During the course of time, he had to go to the ghats, learn
the surveyors work and live amongst them,measure lands and pass departmental exams. Later on, if a higher official in the service died leaving his position vacant, then he would be able to get that post.
Now listen to that story about how such a person met Sai.Near Belgaum, there is a town called Vadgaon. A team of surveyors had camped there.In this town, there was a saint staying there. They went to take his darshan, bowed their heads at his feet and received his blessings.That holy person was holding a book called Vichar Sagar' by Nischal Das,which he was reading to them.After a while, when these people started to take his leave,
the saint spoke to that particular gentleman with great delight. Listen to that." You may leave now. But be sure to read this book, by which your wishes will come true. Bear this in mind.Later on, in the course of your work,when you go towards the north, because of your good fortune you will have the darshan of a great man on the way. He will show you the path, further on, and will grant you peace of mind. He will give you advice and impress upon you the knowledge of the Self. The work there was completed; and he was transferred to Junnar. On the way to Junnar,he had to cross the Nane Ghat, which was a big obstacle.The road was very formidable and could be traversed only on the back of a he-buffalo, which was the only means of transport. So a buffalo was brought for him to ride on. Later on, the man may become a senior official and may get horses and carriages. But, presently, he had to satisfy  himself with a buffalo. There was no choice.It was impossible to climb the ghat on foot. There was no other convenient transport. Such was the speciality of the Nane Ghat. Thus the conveyance was really unusual.
So he took the decision, and a buffalo was made ready. It was saddled and with great difficulty he mounted on it.Though he did mount it, there was a steep climb. The vehicle
being, of all things, a buffalo, he was reduced to swinging and swaying and he developed a pain in the back. So be it. The journey ended. The Junnar mission was completed. He got a transfer order and he moved from there.He was transferred to Kalyan, where he made the acquaintance of Chandorkar and heard of Sainath's fame. A desire arose to have his darshan.That chance came the very next day because Chandorkar was planning a trip to Shirdi. He said to him "Accompany me on this pilgrimage to Shirdi. Let us take Baba's darshan. Both of us could bow down to him,stay there for a day or two and return to Kalyan .But on that very day, in the civil court in Thane, a case was scheduled for hearing. Therefore he had to give up the trip in his company.Nanasaheb coaxed him. "Come along. Baba is great. He will fulfil your desire for darshan. The case is a trivial matter . But, how could he be convinced? He was afraid of missing the date for the hearing. How could he avoid these futile visits,which heaven had destined for him!
Nanasaheb Chandorkar told him of previous experiences of other people about how their desire for darshan was always fulfilled and the difficulties warded off. But he could not bring himself to believe. He could not help his own nature. He said: "First, let the worry get off my
mind. Let the suit get over fast . So be it. He then proceeded to Thane while Chandorkar left for Shirdi. When he returned after the darshan, something wonderful had happened here.Though he was present at the appointed time, the case was postponed. He had also missed going along with Chandorkar and thus he was full of regrets.He wished that he had believed in him. Chandorkar would have taken him along with himself and he would have had darshan peacefully at Shirdi. The case remained where it was and he had lost the chance to see a saint! Therefore, on the spur of the moment, he decided to go to Shirdi.He thought that perhaps when he reached Shirdi if he was lucky he would be able to meet Nana and he would take him to Sainath personally. Then, he would be very happy. I do not know anybody in Shirdi. I will be a complete stranger there. If I meet Nana it will be beneficial to me, though it is a remote possibility.' Thinking thus, he boarded the train and reached Shirdi the next day. Of course, Nana was not there.The day he left for his trip was the day when Nana had left Shirdi. By this he was disheartened and felt great
disappointment. So be it. He met another friend, a nice man, who took him for Sai's darshan and fulfilled his wish.The moment he set his eyes on him, he was overwhelmed with
faith and he prostrated himself. The whole body had goose pimples and tears of love flowed from his eyes.While he was thus standing, hear carefully what Baba said to
him with a smile of understanding, as he was omniscient. " The path of this place is not so easy as the teachings of the Kanarese Appa or even as the buffalo ride in the ghats. There is no alternative but to put in your best exertions .When he heard these significant words, he was overwhelmed with emotions and realised that the words of the holy man
whom he had met previously had proved correct.Then he folded his hands together and put his head at the feet of Sai. He said: "Have mercy on me, Sainatha. Accept me an orphan, at your feet.You alone are my great saint and guardian. Today I have fully understood the teachings in the book of Nischal with all its significance and divine meaning .Where's Vadgaon and where's Shirdi! What a union of spirits of the great saints! How brief, yet enlightening, is their speech! What a magnificent method of instruction! One advised reading a book and predicted a meeting with a great saint, who would give upadesh and advise further growth.By Grace of God, he has been met, and he had indicated that he is the concerned person by significant words. The book has been read but now it must be put into practice.Then Sainath said to him: "Whatever Appa has told you is
correct. But when you put it into practice, then only your wishes will be fulfilled .Nischal Das' Vichar Sagar' was mentioned in Vadgaon. Some time, after repeated readings, and after a certain lapse of time, how to put it in practice was taught in Shirdi. First you must read the book carefully, then ponder upon it. With repeated readings, it will lead to total absorption in the subject. Just reading is not enough. It should be put into practice. Otherwise, it is like water on a duck's back.Mere reading is a waste of time till the meaning is not experienced, for which the blessings of a Guru, who has the knowledge of the Brahman, is required. Mere bookish knowledge is futile.
saishyama thumbnail
Gajanan Maharaj's story

Sai

The origin of Gajanan Is untraceable. Even as the beginning and the end of Brahman. A  diamond Shining brightly Is enough for catching attention of all. No one would bother to know, the mine from which It was picked. Gajanan was seen in Shegaon for the first time on the seventh day of the dark fortnight of Magh in the Indian Saka 1800. The twenty third day of  February, 1878. Some say, He came there from Sajjangarh, the fort sanctified by Samartha  Ramadasa. Possibly Samartha came Once again on this earth, to liberate the people. Yogis do enter in any body, so did Gorakha, He came out of a dung hill, Kanifa out of an elephant's ear, Changadeva, out of a water hole - All had immaculate births. It was a strange sight  to see Gajanan  in a ragged tunic scratching the abandoned patravalis. Gajanan had a chilim in his  hand, His sight envisioning the supraterrestrial regions. He was as resplendent as the morning Sun. He was there, picking up particles of food from the thrown away patravalis  before the house of Devidas where the guests had participated in the feast to celebrate a fertility ritual. The Upanishads say, "Annam Brahmeti" Food is Brahman. Bankatlal Agarwal and Damodar  Kulkarni, they happened to go by that way, saw Gajanan, first, picking up food particles. He did not look like a beggar insane, nor did he look hungry. He could have asked for food and no  sane man would have denied food to him, on such an occasion. Bankatlal said to Kulkarni, this seems no ordinary man; verily, it is stated in the Bhagavata that sages behave like madmen. This man's actions are of an idiot. But he seems to be a realised soul. Number of men had passed by the way, but these two alone could recognise Gajanan - Only a jeweller can  know a real gem. Diamonds and flints when in a lot, the wise pick up diamonds and leave the flints alone. Bankatlal approached Gajanan and asked him, whether he needed food. Gajanan  was quiet. But his face was beaming with joy. No human form could be more handsome. He had a broad chest and well built muscles. Bankatlal asked Devidasa to bring a patravali duly served Devidasa did so. Gajanan touched it and ate a little. One whose joy is contentment,
could he take pleasure in dainty dishes? One who is a suzerain emperor, Will he ever dance with joy, when made a district officer? Gajanan mixed all the fare and ate it. Bankatlal says to Damodar, "No! He is not an idiot, He is wise. Do not test him anymore. Blessed is our town, He has come over here. Blessed are we, We have seen him.  He has come at the noon time, When the Sun shines brightly and birds seek shelter in leafy branches, to keep themselves cool. He is verily Brahman. He is not afraid of anything. He has partaken of the food He has no water in his kamandalu, Let us bring it for him. Both asked him to give the kamandalu so that they may bring water. Gajanan said unto them, "Bring water if you want. Brahman is everywhere. This body has taken food, It needs water." Both were happy to hear him speak. Damodar went to the  house for water.  But Gajanan went to a tank where cattle drank. He drank the water, Before Damodar could say, "Do not drink that water I have brought this one, cool and clean and fragrant with khus."  Maharaj Gajanan said, Do not say all this, All this Universe is pervaded by one reality. All things, hot and dirty unclean and sweety are the manifestations of the same Brahman. One who drinks is not separate from that which is drunk. Just fix up your mind on the Lord of the universe. And know this." Damodar and Bankatlal were overwhelmed with an emotion of devotion. They were about to prostrate before him. Now that they would fall at his feet, Gajanan ran from there, like a wild wind who would stop him?
saishyama thumbnail
Kakasaheb's first meeting with Sai

Sai

Hari Sitaram Dixit, was well-known as Kaka Saheb, with respect, to all the devotees of Sai Baba, and is remembered with love.His earlier background is well-known, pleasing and
interesting. Therefore, I respectfully narrate it to the ardent devotees. It will give happiness to those who are eager to hear his life-story.He, who did not even know the name of Sai' till 1909, became a great devotee of Sai and was known as such to all.Many years after his university education, Nanasaheb Chandorkar came once to Lonavala.Dixit was his old friend, whom he met there after several years. They talked about their welfare, with each other.Dixit told him about his accident in London, when his foot slipped while boarding a train and was injured. The trouble that he suffered from could not be relieved inspite of hundreds of remedies.The detailed story about this injury came out in the natural course of conversation. It reminded Nana of the usefulness of Sree Sai Baba in such cases.  Do you feel that you would like to get rid of your lameness for ever? If so, come for my Guru's darshan', said Nana to him.Then, Nana believing it to be unique, narrated in detail about Sai's nature, glory and greatness, Sai being the jewel among saints. " I draw to me my man from afar, even across the seven seas, like a sparrow with a string fastened to its feet . This is Baba's usual assurance. Moreover Nana had given a long discourse.He said: "If you are not his man, you will
not be attracted to him.If you are not his man, you will not even have his darshan. This is one of Baba's significant aspects. Will you go there on your own? Be it so. Hearing all the description about Sai, Dixit felt a great satisfaction. Then he said to Nana: "I will take
Baba's darshan.Why talk about the pain in my leg! The whole body is perishable. Let the injury to my leg remain as long as it does. I am not worried about it.I will go for your Guru's darshan', but for the bliss of attaining liberation. I have no wish for small pleasures and I will not plead for them.There is no happiness other than union with Brahman. That is the only priceless happiness. I will become a servitor of your Guru only for this invaluable bliss.Let the lameness of my leg be. It does not distress me. But I would pray that my lame, fickle mind is brought around.I have got very tired of making efforts but the mind does not become steady. When I make efforts to control it, it runs amok without my knowledge. However attentive I may be in trying to control it, I do not know when it will escape. I am greatly amazed. Therefore, Nana, with my whole heart I will take your Guru's darshan. I will pray to him to remove this impairment of my mind .Sai was supremely eager for the spiritual attainment of such a devotee who was not interested in the pleasures of the perishable body but who longed for the ultimate bliss.The election of the then Legislative Council was the topic
of conversation everywhere. The people were engaged in this work, in many place.Kakasaheb came suddenly to Nagar (Ahmednagar) to canvass for votes for himself, and was meeting friends for that purpose.There was a chieftain there by the name of Kakasaheb Mirikar. Dixit had close family relations with him. He,therefore, stayed there with him.According to the custom of those times, an exhibition of horses was arranged at Nagar. Therefore, people from all walks of life were engaged in work connected with it.

Balasaheb Mirikar, the Mamlatdar of Kopergaon, was present at Ahmednagar town for the exhibition.After Dixit's work was completed, he came there. How would
it be possible to go to Shirdi? Who will take me there?' Once the work had come to an end, his attention was on the way to Shirdi. Dixit's intense desire was only for the opportunity to have Baba's darshan'. Who will come with me? Who will take me before Baba and place me at his feet?' These were Dixit's dilemmas.
Once the work for the elections was over, Dixit was only worried about how he would go to Shirdi. He respectfully requested Mirikar.Balasaheb Mirikar was the son of Kakasaheb Mirikar. They discussed among themselves as to who should go with Dixit. If any one of them would accompany him, then there would be
no need for another. Then who should definitely go with him,was being debated.Man thinks of ordinary solutions; but God plans something else. For Dixit's journey to Shirdi, something unexpected happened.On this side, there was this turmoil. On the other side, observe the agitation. Knowing the strong desire of the devotee, see how Samartha yearned with compassion! While Dixit was driven by these thoughts and was seated,
worrying about this, Madhavrao himself came to Nagar. Everyone was surprised.The father-in-law of Madhavrao had telegraphed him from
Nagar that his mother-in-law was gravely ill and he should come immediately with his wife.
As soon as he received the telegram, he prepared to leave after obtaining Baba's permission. Both of them went to Chithali station.They caught the 3 o'clock train and both went to Nagar. They took a tonga and got down at the door.At the same time,Nanasaheb Panshe and Appasaheb Gadre were also there, in connection with the exhibition and were passing by that road. As Madhavrao was alighting from the tonga, they saw him unexpectedly. They were quite surprised. They could not contain their joy." Look at this! By good fortune Madhavrao, who is the
sevakari of Vithoba temple, is here, from Shirdi! Who can be better than him to take Dixit to Shirdi? Then calling out to him, said: " Dixit Kaka has come to Mirikar's. Go and see him. Marvel at Baba's leelas!Dixit is our remarkable friend. You will get acquainted with
him. He is very eager to go to Shirdi and your arrival will delight him. Giving this message to Madhavrao, they gave the information to Dixit; whose anxiety was relieved on hearing it. He was extremely pleased. When Madhavrao visited his in-laws, he found that his mother-in-law was better. So he rested a little. Then
Mirikar sent for him.Respecting the invitation, a little after sunset Madhavrao left to meet Dixit. When Balasaheb introduced him, it was his first meeting. Both of them decided to take the 10 o'clock train, the same night.After this plan was decided, see what an unusual thing happened next. Balasaheb removed the curtain over Baba's portrait.This was a photograph of Baba which was worshipped by Megha, a true and great devotee of Baba, with the conviction that Baba was the holy, three-eyed Shankar incarnate.Because the glass was broken, it was sent to Nagar with Balasaheb for repairs. That was how it initially left Shirdi.This picture, having been repaired, was in Mirikar's drawing room, covered with cloth, as if it was waiting for Dixit.Balasaheb was to return it after the conclusion of the
horse-show. But there was yet some more time for that. Therefore, he entrusted it to Madhavrao. Removing the cloth, he uncovered it. He gave it in Madhavrao's keeping; and said: "Go upto Shirdi happily, in
Baba's company. When he first cast a glance at that portrait, which was pleasing in all aspects, Kakasaheb was filled with joy. After prostrating before it with reverence, he began to look at it. Experiencing this unusual incident, and seeing Sai Samartha's photograph unexpectedly, which was so pleasing and pure, Dixit's eyes were riveted to it. He was greatly delighted that he, for whose darshan' he was
longing, his portrait embodying his form, could be seen by him, on the way itself.It was a strange coincidence that it was at Kakasaheb
Mirikar's house, at the same time when Dixit was there, having come earlier from Shirdi. It seemed that Sai Samartha had come at Mirikar's residence, under a pretext, to fulfil Dixit's heartfelt longing.At Lonavala itself, the attraction for the Guru had taken place when he had met Nana and talked at length with him. It was the seed sown for the meeting. Otherwise why should this portrait from Shirdi have come here at this time and remained covered for so long at this place? So be it.After it was so decided, Madhavrao and Dixit,
taking the picture with them, set out happily. They both left for the station after dinner, that same night. They paid the second-class fare and bought the tickets.Right at the stroke of ten, the sound of the train could be heard.They also saw that the second-class compartments were crammed with passengers.The situation was such that both of them were greatly worried. The time was also short. What arrangement could be made and how? Be it so. Now, because, of the overcrowding, both of them decided to return to their place and go the next day to Shirdi.At that moment, Dixit saw the guard of the train with whom he had an acquaintance. He easily made arrangements for them to travel by the first class. Then, sitting in the train, they started talking about Baba, to their heart's content. Madhavrao narrated the nectar-like stories. Dixit overflowed with joy.Thus that journey was completed very joyfully. Time passed very quickly. The train reached Kopergaon. They alighted in a very happy mood. At the same time, they unexpectedly saw Nanasaheb Chandorkar at the station. Dixit was full of happiness that they had
met each other. Nana too had come for Baba's darshan' and was proceeding to
Shirdi. All the three of them were amazed at this coincidence.Then, the three of them hired a tonga and left on the way, animatedly talking. They had a bath in the Godavari, on the way, and reached holy Shirdi. Later, after having Sai's darshan' Dixit's heart melted and his eyes filled with tears. The water of Self Bliss spilt and over flowed. " I too was waiting for you. Then I sent Shama to meet you, all the way to Nagar, spoke Sai clearly to him.Hearing these words, every pore in Dixit's body was filled with joy; his throat was choked with emotion; his mind was full of happiness; and he was sweating profusely.His body trembled; his mind was engrossed in Self Bliss; his eyes were half closed and he was immersed in a cloud of joy." To-day my eyes have served their purpose . Saying this he
embraced Baba's feet. He felt truly blessed and the world could not contain his joy. Later, years passed. His faith was firmly rooted at Sai's feet. He attained Sai's grace fully; and wearied his body in Sai's service.
Edited by saishyama - 6 years ago