Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 5 months ago

I watched both, but I already knew beforehand what I would read afterwards smiley36

No one here who noticed that it is a comparison of two very different characters? A curtisan with a very special task what to do through dancing pitched against the daughter of a king.

One dance requiring inticing hip movements, the other a restricted grace...

Billi_Bangalan thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Easter Egg Contest Winner (2023) 0 Thumbnail + 6

Deepika has athletic frame with rectangular cut waist. Some people limbs look like made of sticks no matter how much they try to be a graceful dancer and some are naturally graceful. Its just how one's body frame is and how and where the body decides to store fat. So its okay i guess. 🙃

FatalFlaw thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 1 Thumbnail

Regardless of the body type, just check out how fast Deepika is moving. The walk is meant to be slow and seductive, with hips swaying. You can forgive her for not having fuller hips, but could she slow down a bit? Watching Aditi's walk, you can tell exactly what Bhansali had in mind when filming Mohe Rang Do Laal. A whole vision wasted.

Banned

[Post Removed]

Clochette thumbnail

I didn't know that this walk does require the slowness I'd seen in Gaja Gamini...actually, it was the first time I had seen this dance movement in such a prominent way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4EH_YzLc3o

...so, I now googled and it seems that it is a regular mouvement and also called "elefant walk". I thought, it was named after the Hussain-movie.

Still, I'm okay with both, the short clip out of Heeramandi and Deepika's dance in BM. Of course, they are different in their dance rendition, but to me, it doesn't matter that Deepika didn't 'deliver' a 'perfect' elefant walk.

Edited by Clochette - 5 months ago
Kamala05 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 12 Thumbnail + 7

In the case of SLB, it's the director's vision, especially since he's known to be extremely strict in ensuring actors portray his vision accurately. He understands that courtesans master seductiveness, and in Mastani's case, she was enticing the man she was interested in even in the presence of her family members. Aditi, of course, has a more feminine body and mannerisms compared to DP, but the comparison isn't quite fitting here.

FatalFlaw thumbnail
Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Anniversary 1 Thumbnail

Saying that she couldn't dance in front of her family or dad sounds like we might be projecting our modern values onto a period drama. And if that was really the case, they could've just tweaked the step or choreography. I mean, Mastani is supposed to be both a skilled dancer and a warrior.

hasini009 thumbnail

Aditi is a trained Classical dancer and Deepu is not. it’s clearly visible in their performances.

https://youtu.be/zaHkd4GqtY8?feature=shared

Pt Birju Maharaj said Deepu was apprehensive about “Mohe Rang do” . but they (SLB & Pandit) convinced her doing it.

Edited by hasini009 - 5 months ago
Clochette thumbnail

I don't know if the gajagamini/elefant walk is thought especially for courtisans...I still think that it is okay if a warrior-princess would do this moves in a hinting way, not expressively...at least in a public festivity.

infinity101 thumbnail
Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: Novarieaa

Aditi is uber feminine and stunning too.

Deepika's towering height and athletic body works against her while acting in a period drama. On top of that, she is an above average actress so she cant make up for lack of grace with her expressions.

Aditi is also a strictly okay actress but in Heeramandi she shines and half the credit goes to how graceful, queenlike and feminine she looks!

Aditi looked ethereal in Heeramandi smiley27