Frequent Posters

1169321 thumbnail
Posted: 8 months ago

Double

Edited by NoraSM - 8 months ago
desigal90 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Yeah I don’t think this message will click with most tbh. Majority of desis including Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis have all immigrated through the legal route with a lot of patience. They wait years to be able to get a green card while patient studying or working with legal visas. How are we suppose to empathize with people who jump the line illegally?

Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

How on earth an intelligent person can perceive Dunki as promoting "lawlessness".

Everything in the movie points a finger against an allegedly easy way to live (go) abroad starting from the ads in this town to cheating on those who are hellbent on going to London (including the preparation for a quite questionable/ridiculised exam and a life threatening journey).

It had been shown (with quite dark humour) that Indians profit from fellow citizens' wish to change something in their life...and the advertisements promise them a way:

go to London to earn big bucks - that will help to have a change. The only problem is to get a visa...but whe show you solutions for that...just pay for marrying an English woman...just pay for taking lessons to get a student visa...just pay for taking the illegal route.

The young group was only a small example of all those who got duped (what was shown also in the movie) ... and I really liked that different motivations/problems had been shown - all understandable but certainly not realised with all the 'solutions' they tried.

The movie made clear that they should have looked for solutions in the own country....that makes much more sense knowing SRK's own attitude.

Deliberately the movie also enumerated all the arguments against strict visa-roules that had been mentioned by members here, too. What a great thing to incite discussion!

Hardy (like SRK in real life) was the 'solution maker' when others didn't see one even though - eventually - the solutions weren't completely helpful... the only completely favorable solution was the returning to India (and rightly so looking at what the movie wanted to tell).

I could go on & on about this intelligent and heartwarming movie where each part told a kind of 'lesson' packed into an entertaining movie where smiles and tears were really close together....at least to me.

hasini009 thumbnail

not only Omar, hum audience bhi No hamaarsmiley36

this movie is supposed to create awareness on the risks of illegal immigration and it’s consequences before and after, what to do and what not to do etc etc….but their (movie makers) focus “subject se hatke, silly comedy pe atke” gaye hainsmiley44

IMO SRK was a miscast, Ayushman or any other small budget hero ko lena tha.

In the late 90 and early 2000 in the states mostly well educated were needed in IT and medicine and visas opened up and many came on certain visas and companies sponsored them. It took them 10-15 years just to get a green card unless they married a citizen then they got it sooner. Then suddenly getting even a tourist visa was tough some opted on finance visas to enter the country as an easier solution but once that became cumbersome in the 2000s suddenly donkey illegal route became popular. The movie did depict the hardships but not accurately in case u listened to people who used this method. Plus, those who made it rarely to they want to return back home or regret using that method. Some excited to earn whatever they can as it’s more then what they earn back home. Usually those who take this step aren’t that well educated and some do have lands back home that they sell to pay agents. They use this route because they see dollar signs. They usually employed in gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants doing labor. Some get asylum or marry someone once get work permit. Though yes initially they pay lots to come and it’s a risk they take since to them the rewards outweigh the risks. The ones who do make it some glorify things that others to want to come despite the risks. The families back home when they see the money that is made by those who make it see that it’s more then what they would have they thrilled. Those who get caught or deported its different story. This route became well known once some were caught in 2022.

Excerpt I quoted

“Today, once again, some U.S. politicians are pushing for new ways to restrict immigration. Much of their work focuses on making it harder for migrants to get asylum – meaning legal permission to remain in the U.S. if they have a legitimate fear of persecution in their home countries.

Overall, U.S. border officials encountered more than 1.1 million people illegally crossing the U.S. border from April 2022 through March 2023 – a sharp rise from previous years, when the number of people illegally crossing each year hovered at less than 300,000.”

Basically, it’s not easy to get visas since late 2000s and the upsurge via donkey route as increased. In 2020 due to Covid some who had legit visas got back logged and those now clearing. Also, getting asylum has gotten harder and the rude in undocumented workers increased but now in case caught getting deported is easier then in the past because prior to late 2000’s those entering illegally the stats were low so it was easier to eventually get a work permit or asylum. Yet those who have gone through legal channels or waiting patiently don’t sympathize because they know the struggles they went to get their visas or waiting to get them legally. Though I understand the hardships when u hear their reasons n the poverty some experience then on the flip side one wonders the homeless in Southern California that one sees in one’s own country that’s not being dealt with and competition with those who are educated meaning some who grew up here don’t want others to enter esp IT and medicine because those who enter via other countries don’t have loans or need to goto schooling here and some are resentful esp in medical and IT and reason those visas became limited now and some IT companies rather then recruiting from other countries now just have those in this field work in their own home country and have some here oversee them. Thus now even some educated individuals looking to use illegal routes to come or finance visa as those who well educated most won’t be that inclined to go through a donkey route knowing that they most likely won’t get a well qualified job here via this route because they won’t have proper documentation.

Originally posted by: hasini009

not only Omar, hum audience bhi No hamaarsmiley36

this movie is supposed to create awareness on the risks of illegal immigration and it’s consequences before and after, what to do and what not to do etc etc….but their (movie makers) focus “subject se hatke, silly comedy pe atke” gaye hainsmiley44

IMO SRK was a miscast, Ayushman or any other small budget hero ko lena tha.

I think the casting was the issue to some rather then the concept that’s why movie like 12th did well n people understood the message. Plus Hirani script didnt click or trailer as presented didn’t peak interest to some to rush to the theaters but knowing they had OTT option most decided to wait to see it on streaming which is a trend during Covid. It’s only some movies that willing to pay to see in theaters.
_symphony thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: Clochette

How on earth an intelligent person can perceive Dunki as promoting "lawlessness".

Everything in the movie points a finger against an allegedly easy way to live (go) abroad starting from the ads in this town to cheating on those who are hellbent on going to London (including the preparation for a quite questionable/ridiculised exam and a life threatening journey).

It had been shown (with quite dark humour) that Indians profit from fellow citizens' wish to change something in their life...and the advertisements promise them a way:

go to London to earn big bucks - that will help to have a change. The only problem is to get a visa...but whe show you solutions for that...just pay for marrying an English woman...just pay for taking lessons to get a student visa...just pay for taking the illegal route.

The young group was only a small example of all those who got duped (what was shown also in the movie) ... and I really liked that different motivations/problems had been shown - all understandable but certainly not realised with all the 'solutions' they tried.

The movie made clear that they should have looked for solutions in the own country....that makes much more sense knowing SRK's own attitude.

Deliberately the movie also enumerated all the arguments against strict visa-roules that had been mentioned by members here, too. What a great thing to incite discussion!

Hardy (like SRK in real life) was the 'solution maker' when others didn't see one even though - eventually - the solutions weren't completely helpful... the only completely favorable solution was the returning to India (and rightly so looking at what the movie wanted to tell).

I could go on & on about this intelligent and heartwarming movie where each part told a kind of 'lesson' packed into an entertaining movie where smiles and tears were really close together....at least to me.

I guess we saw different films. Doesn’t the end credit of the movie say that it was only 140 years (repeating it again) ago that the law of needing a visa to travel across borders came into force hence questioning the enforcement of the law itself.

The movie made clear that they should have looked for solutions in the own country— Where? I never see any of the three protagonists ever trying to find a job in their own town.

Edited by _symphony - 8 months ago
Kyahikahoon thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail IPL 2024 Participants 2 Thumbnail + 4

This is off topic but something I want to know.

There r people who r well educated and go to US, UK for further courses..get work visa.

But eventually they start motels, convenience stores, lifestyle stores or gas stations..

Not seen this with engineers but common in other fields. Was surprised when a PhD holder opened a convenience store. Kudos to them coz it's a lot of hardwork, specially when people manage things themselves without getting staff n helpers. But m curious what lures them to these fields after spending years studying a particular subject?

Is the money that good?

Just to add ..these were management graduates, associate professors with decent jobs in India

Edited by Kyahikahoon - 8 months ago
Clochette thumbnail
Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

Very interesting question and worth another kind of "choosing a livelyhood abroad" - movie (UK, USA, Canada especially, but also other Western countries). smiley20

Originally posted by: Kyahikahoon

This is off topic but something I want to know.

There r people who r well educated and go to US, UK for further courses..get work visa.

But eventually they start motels, convenience stores, lifestyle stores or gas stations..

Not seen this with engineers but common in other fields. Was surprised when a PhD holder opened a convenience store. Kudos to them coz it's a lot of hardwork, specially when people manage things themselves without getting staff n helpers. But m curious what lures them to these fields after spending years studying a particular subject?

Is the money that good?

Just to add ..these were management graduates, associate professors with decent jobs in India

I think money is more lucrative than certain professions. Even some have become gas station owners. I know some who did not want to goto school again because some degrees aren’t accepted and have todo education in this country in their own profession instead opted to own one’s own business n then have several chains.