Pakistanis r hugely passionate about SRK

Dua143 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 16 years ago
At 26, the Dubai-anchored musician-singer has become a quantity with his Jannat song Lambi judaai. Over to Kamran Ahmed in conversation with Rachana Dubey

Did you pre-empt the success of Lambi judaai?
Nope. Actually, I never expected it to be used in a film. It had been all over the radio stations in the UK, the US, Canada and Pakistan for over six months. It was on internet too. Deejays in Indian clubs were playing the song remixed.

Then in January, Mukesh Bhatt asked me for the song since it suited a situation in one of his films. I came to India in February and worked on the song.

Are you happy with the way your song was picturised?
I have no complaints.

Apparently, you were supposed to be featured in the movie.
No. I've appeared in a promotional video. I'm not sure if it has been released.

What's your prime focus now?
My debut album, Judaai. Talks are on with some music companies. In the interim, I hope to release a couple of singles and videos. I don't want to jump at offers without creating a base of my work. It's essential to be grounded. I have to be someone before I take on more film work.

Recently, Pakistani singer, Najam Sheraz, accused the Bhatts of plagiarising his work.
I don't agree with what Sheraz bhai. I've been given my due credits as a singer, composer and lyric writer formy song. It was well publicised too.

What is the current status of the music industry in Pakistan..given the conditions of political uncertainty?
Nothing can draw Pakistanis away from music. The most affected are those who sold music on the roadside.. and some who are majorly into politics. But these are just a handful of people.

Pakistanis are passionate about music in any form. They even love fusing rock with other genres like sufi and classical. And I must tell you, Pakistanis are hugely passionate about cricket, Indian movies and Shah Rukh Khan.

But a certain Indian singer says that Pakistan doesn't welcome Indian artistes as large-heartedly as we welcome Pakistani singers.
I don't agree with that all. I was in Pakistan recently. They all love Indian artistes, be it its KK, Kailash Kher or Sonu Niigaam.When I came to India, I saw Pakistani music playing on top of the charts here. So, as far as I can see, there's a healthy interexchange.

Would you say Atif Aslam and Rahat Fateh Ali Khan are competition?
No, no.They've made our country proud by doing so well in India. I'm glad I'm rubbing shoulders with my brothers.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

fahimataq thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
thnx 4 the article. Im not a huge fan of SRK but he's alrite. He's right bout the music part I dnt no a pakistani tht does not luv music!
hindu4lyf thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
can i ask you a question please?
please dont misunderstand me
but regarding this article, i heard muslims are not allowed to listen to music with strings like pianos, violins etc only some kinda hand drum.
is that true? because a lot of muslims say that in student forums 😕

regarding this article, yes, it is only a great country like india that can provide such a platform for others..just look at SRGMP!
good to see we're open minded and we do accept others, seems like all pakistani singers look to settle in india now only yaar 😆
nazeeei thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: hindu4lyf

can i ask you a question please?
please dont misunderstand me
but regarding this article, i heard muslims are not allowed to listen to music with strings like pianos, violins etc only some kinda hand drum.
is that true? because a lot of muslims say that in student forums 😕

regarding this article, yes, it is only a great country like india that can provide such a platform for others..just look at SRGMP!
good to see we're open minded and we do accept others, seems like all pakistani singers look to settle in india now only yaar 😆

its not true we can hear any music like others.😃

hindu4lyf thumbnail
sorry to disagree with you bit i did actually find many sites which says it is haram in islam 😕
this site basically wants all non muslims to rot in hell but i'll post it anyway:

http://www.muftisays.com/viewarticle.php?article=music

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/1716/music.html

http://www.inter-islam.org/Prohibitions/Mansy_music.htm

this isnt an anti muslim topic dont worry, its just a question that ive always wondered about because ive seen so many devout muslims in my life but if music is haram, then damn they must be commiting a huge sin. and to be fair, i havent used any anti muslim site, they are all written by muslims themselves 😊
please take me out of my misery and tell me if it really is allowed or not:)
fahimataq thumbnail
In islam, music is only haram if it takes you away from the way of islam and allah. not jus music anything that takes u away from islam, such as dancing with girls/boys, is haram. it also depends on the type of music and message in it. even singing is allowed but what u sing can make a difference as to whether u r doing a haram thing or not. hope tht explains nd pls if am wrong any1 correct me.
hindu4lyf thumbnail
thanks for helping me out here hun 😊 i really was confused cos theres quite a mixed view about this all 😕
in that case a lot of my friends go against islam if they listen to rihanna, chris brown and basically 99% of R n B cos ermm if im not mistaken virtually every song contains sex reference.
and dont like all movies these days too have some sort of reference or a lot of comedy movies, chick flicks often have sex scenes too, so is that haram too?
because u said it depends on the message, does that mean they are doing something against islam while singing along to a R n B tune like Umbrella by Rihanna cos that too has reference like ermm 'u can stay round today' and some other reference which is soo minor compared to other tunes 😆 please clarify guys! topic is quite interesting i must admit. hope no1 takes offense.
fahimataq thumbnail
lol no offence taken my non muslim friends ask the same q's. the thing u gotta understand islam is reli bout urself, if u sing songs wid sex references, then i guess thts gotta be wrong, depends if u r influencing sumbodyelse, sum ppl take up the songs seriously, if u dont tht does not mean others wont. If u start to follow the songs and not listen to them for leisure, then its wrong. but even i listen to rihanna chris brown, yes its wrong i admit but im not exactly doing those things mentioned in the songs. i listen to the music mainly.

And i admit tht people like me r commiting a sin, but then its not jus muslims that are not commiting sins even other believers are too. to point out jus muslims not following their religion would be wrong.

also, in islam, the instrument tht is allowed is the one sided drum, dafli i think its called. about the movies wt can i say now, even they r not allowed if there is sex content. its said if u watch them on the day of judgement, ur eyes will admit tht u have done wrong by watching these kind of films.

thing is islam is reli personal cos its a way of life. music is haram because it is said to be intoxicating. how u tackle it is up to u. listen to the music but dont let it influence u or sum1 else in a bad way. its also bout how u have been brought up like my family, v all listen to music but then v r also warned what is right and what is wrong. pls any1 reading this, if am wrong correct me cos i dnt no evrything jus sayin wht i no. hope tht helps agen.

Edited by fahimataq - 16 years ago