"My son calls me a supermom" - article

Shariefah thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

'My son calls me a supermom'

Not many remember Yamini as 'Lovely' the character she played first on television in a countdown show. Just like her character's name she comes across as a lovely and warm person in real life too.

Yamini who has done her postgraduation in theatre in Punjab and belongs to Chandigarh says, "My seniors in college were Anupam Kher, Kirron Kher and Harry Baweja which made the college days even more special."

Not many know that her first feature film Tarpan went to Toronto Film Festival "It was directed by Shyam Benegal and it will remain close to my heart always," says an excited Yamini.

With serials like Jhoome Jiya Re, Teen Bahuraniyaan, Lumba, Har Ghar Kuchh Kehta Hai in her kitty, Yamini is all satisfied and doesn't want to act in films as of now, "All the roles that I have done have been substantial. However in films now it's difficult to get a role for serious actors like me," admits Yamini.

For Yamini, theatre has always been close to her heart and she has also shared her screen space with Mallika Sarabhai for a play called 'Silsilay'. However she feels that Gujarati theatre needs a push. "If we compare Gujarat's theatre to other metros then we lack behind in spite of having good actors and a lot of potential," she says.

But it's a definitely a different experience to act both on the small screen and theatre. But which one does she prefer? "Theatre is satisfying because it gives instant reactions, but theatre doesn't yield lot of money," she says.

With everyone interested to work with the soap sultana Ekta Kapoor doesn't she feel like being a part of that brigade? "I have done K-serials before they were not K, and have been part of Ghar Ek Mandir, Koshish and Bandhan." And will she ever do a negative role? "Well, negativity doesn't suit my face, but yes if a good script comes I would love to do it since it has lot of potential," says Yamini.

In the city to launch a special collection for Mother's Day, Yamini feels that motherhood is the most beautiful thing that can happen to a women, "I feel once you turn a mother, as a woman you are complete, and being a mother too means lots of responsibilities," And does she find time for her son? "Being a single mother I have done multi-tasking and it really feels good when my son calls me supermom."
Edited by Shariefah - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

daisy_luvs_ ff thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
hey thanx for the article, sha.
she indeed makes a cute mom........but i hope in the serial her character had more of a personality......i feel she is way too much docile!!!