Songs with memorable instrumental prelude

punjini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Think of the instrumental music which precedes "taareef karoon kya uski, jisne tumhe banaya" from Kashmir ki Kali. It is such a memorable prelude that the instant one hears it, one knows which song is going to come. Or take the music which comes before the song "Mehbooba Mehbooba" in Sholay. Rare must be the Indian who cannot recognise the song just by hearing a few seconds of this prelude.
There are countless such songs in Hindi films with memorable preludes. I wonder if people would like to list such songs.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

jaskaran48 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
this is a really good point....many times we look at lyrical content and singing capability....and skip out on the music...i really prefer the piano at the starting of Tere Liye....ek pyar ka nagma hai...pyar hua iqraar hua...and the violin from dil ne dil se tujhe pukara....and the guitar from yeh raat bheeghi bheeghi....the techno from yeh ladka haye allah...and the prelude to chura liya hai tumne....jaanu meri jaan... the prelude to kisi ki muskurahaton pe is beautiful....and who can forget ramaiya vastavaiya or jeena yahaan marna yahaan.....and mera joota hai japani....and Dede pyar de....and the guitar in intehaan hogayi....most of these are old songs...cus i know you like old songs...and i know too many new songs with awesome preludes too list...
punjini thumbnail

Originally posted by: jaskaran48

this is a really good point....many times we look at lyrical content and singing capability....and skip out on the music...i really prefer the piano at the starting of Tere Liye....ek pyar ka nagma hai...pyar hua iqraar hua...and the violin from dil ne dil se tujhe pukara....and the guitar from yeh raat bheeghi bheeghi....the techno from yeh ladka haye allah...and the prelude to chura liya hai tumne....jaanu meri jaan... the prelude to kisi ki muskurahaton pe is beautiful....and who can forget ramaiya vastavaiya or jeena yahaan marna yahaan.....and mera joota hai japani....and Dede pyar de....and the guitar in intehaan hogayi....most of these are old songs...cus i know you like old songs...and i know too many new songs with awesome preludes too list...

I would be happy if you point out some 10 new songs with good preludes.
jaskaran48 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
well do pal....tere liya...dil ne dil se tujhe pukara...silsila yeh chahat ka (although you could consider that a part of the song rather than a prelude)....ruk ja oh dil deewane....tujhe dekha to yeh jaana sanam...K2H2...satrangi re....nimbooda....ankhon ki gustakhia....taal se taal....ishq bina....do dil...didi tera devar....maye ni maye...chocolate lime juice...pehla pehla pyar....dhiktana....dil to pagal hai...bholi si surat...oh and my favorite...tu cheez badi hai mast....who cna forget this one??....there are soo many...i mean when i listen to the starting of these songs...i automatically know which song is going to come up....so yeh....i can go on...

also the preludes in qwallis and classical singing...of course the piece in this type of singing is used to establish a raaga and make the listener aware of what raag the piece will be performed in and to tune the voice using alap and possibly give the tabla player a chance to tune the tabla to the appropriate octave or to maybe even introduce the tabla player.....most performers also start with a few lines from writers such as Bhulle Shah or Bhagat Kabir or Ravidas Ji... which serve as an introduction to the piece about to be performed.......
Edited by jaskaran48 - 16 years ago
punjini thumbnail
In another thread, Trishankuji reminded me of a song with a marvellous prelude - Dil ke jharokon mein tujhko bithakar. Shankar Jaikishan created such a beautiful effect with piano and violins.
http://www.musicindiaonline.com/music/hindi_bollywood/s/movi e_name.305/
Wonder why no contestant attempted this song in Saregamapa!
trishancku thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
One of the most famous song with a memorable instrumental prelude is the song from Naagin - Man dole mera tan dole sung by Lataji and the instrument the "Been" used by snake charmers of Bharat.

In this song the Been is played by none other than Kalyanji of the famous music composer duo Kalyanji - Anandji

*salil* thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

This devotional song....tere naina kyun bhar aaye... from Geet has a very long and soothing prelude...combination of flute and sitar... in the four and half minute song the prelude itself is of one and half minute...

[YOUTUBE] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mlYoWtZyF8&feature=relat ed[/YOUTUBE]

punjini thumbnail

Originally posted by: trishanku3

One of the most famous song with a memorable instrumental prelude is the song from Naagin - Man dole mera tan dole sung by Lataji and the instrument the "Been" used by snake charmers of Bharat.

In this song the Been is played by none other than Kalyanji of the famous music composer duo Kalyanji - Anandji

Thanks Trishankuji, this was a notable prelude.
punjini thumbnail
Salilji, thanks for pointing out the prelude in the song from Geet. Though I am not particularly a fan of this song, I liked the picturization and the fact that the MD (is it LP) gave importance to the prelude.
*salil* thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Sahana.. I do like this song very much. Very soothing to me. MD is Kalyanji Anandji who have composed some very good bhajans... sukh ke sab saathi dukh mein na koi..is one such.