OnlyHope thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 16 years ago

Please post all celebrity interviews in this topic 😛 Any additional topics started will be closed.

PSF Dev. Team

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nazeeei thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Great topic Fariha ..😃

so i'm posting sara chaudhry interview here..

Sara chaudhry interview

Interviews

Sara Chaudhry

You have probably seen her in the ads of sweets or sweaters. If not, then you are probably familiar with the wafting gossip about Khawar Riaz's new find. ..the one who will probably kick Zara Sheikh off the sets in no time with her innocent looks and composed manner. This is Sara, the new kid on the block. The one who will catch every man and womans attention when she walks into a room. Its not her beauty which catches peoples eye, its her untampered style surprising still existent in this industry and her gorgeous smile.

"Go easy on her" Bubbloo at Depilex told me when I came in to interview her "shes not used to interviews".

I found Sara to be very sweet, very attractive and very genuine. Extremely nave (hello?shes only 15)I feared how much this industry would strip her of. Under Khawar's wings these days, Sara is probably on her way to becoming another Zara Sheikh a Zara Sheikh minus the village style of speech and less fake airs. I hope he does a better job with Sara than he has done with Zara.

I've been dying to ask you this but how old are you?
14 (she says with her hand on the mic part of my dicta) but please write it as more (she smiles). I usually tell people that I'm 16..
Sara Chaudhry
when did u start your career?
Year and a halfback when I was offered to do modeling.

As a new comer did you face any problem?
It was really difficult to adjust yourself when already many pretty faces are in and also when no one can properly guide you.

What type of work you chose to do?
I am very much choosy about my work. Before signing a project I inquire about every thing related to project.

What about starting the acting?
I want to do acting as well but right now I am fully giving attention towards modeling.

What major works have you done up till now?
I am in modeling and catwalks and up till now I have done a host of adds like Pert plus, Absolute cologne talc, Sprite, Yummy, Zoom gum and many others.

What is your major through?
Pert Plus is my major break through.

Your hobbies?
I love watching movies and plays.

Your favorite plays and actor/actresses?
My favorite plays are Bandhan, Alpha Bravo Charlie. While in acting I like Zeeshan and Zara.

So I assume youre still studying?
I used to go to a proper school before but since I've gotten into this field I'm studying privately now.

Who introduced you into modeling?
My papa's friends..I actually was always interested in it but this friend of my papa's who had an art gallery used to always encourage me to try this cause he thought I had such a photogenic face. I did my own makeup, got a photographer to get my portfolio done and gave my pictures to different agencies. From there on I initially went to Depilex and then to Khawar Riaz.

And tv shows?
This is actually my first serial…other than that I've done fashion shows and I have also been a compare for a kids programme and nowadays I'm doing a film based programme for Rashid Khawaja called 'Cinemascope'....I'm compering for that. I'm also working towards a movie with Khawar these days..

Movies?You want to get into movies?
Not initially but Khawar told me to try it out and that karnee zaroor hai aaur unhee keh saat karnee hai.That's why I'm doing it with him I think ill be costarring with Ahmad.
Sara Chaudhry
So you're with Khawar Riaz these days?
Yes I'm mostly working with Khawar but the serial that I'm doing these days has been given to me by Depilex but Khawar has definitely promoted me a lot more.

How long has it been?
One year.

How do you like working with Khawar?
He's very nice, very frank.

Do you get along with Zara?
Yes. We all sit around and talk a lot Gia, Zara and me.

Arent you scared of the movie business here?
Naheen naheen darna kis baat say hai.

You have to admit that showbiz for a 14 year old here is not that acceptable with most people how did your family react?
Well, at home my daadi had a little bit of a problem with it but my father told her quite bluntly that this is my daughter and to let him do whatever he wanted but its like my nano says that if you keep yourself straight and simple then there's no problem in it at all its about the way you represent yourself.

Its like my papa says that my papa takes me as a son cause he has no sons..buts its like he always tells me that you're my son cause I'm sure even if I did have a son he probably would not do as much for me as you do..so for that reason he doesn't have a problem with most things.So are you liking it?
I'm enjoying it. Its quite nice.
type=text/javascript> src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ad s.js" type=text/javascript>
Sara Chaudhry
Have you signed the movie as yet?
Well aik tarhan say mayree movie shorooh say he signed hai with Shahzad Gul when Teray Pyar Mein was being made I did a guest appearance ka role in it as a screen test.

So don't you feel any competition with Zara?
There is absolutely nothing to feel competitive about you see I mean whoever has to get the fame or popularity will get it.

You can't go to people and say please like me more!?
I'm not the type to get jealous.

And what about Zara?
Nothing that I know of as yet I don't know whats in her heart but she meets me well…but I've never felt anything as such…I try to keep a good attitude with everyone.
Has Khawar put you through the same routines as he has put Zara and Ahmad?No cause I live at home. But its like these days I've gotten a little healthy and Khawar has been calling me fat and has been on my case to go on a diet!!

Actually what I don't understand is that don't these people have any mummy daddy?
I mean these people are there the whole day!! All these models and all. I don't understand that at all cause I can't stay away from my home for too long. Even now, I've been here since 12 pm and I'm getting so bored, I'm dying to get back home!!! I can't stay without my family members for too long.

What do you do at home?
I play with my sisters and my cousins and mamoo. We are 3 sisters but 2 of them are very small right now .ones 4 and ones 3.Other than that I study for my matric as soon as I get the time cause these days I get no time for anything.

You're studying for your matric?
Yes (she starts to laugh). sometimes people are so conscious about these things.

They usually hide it. I don't see what is there to lie about?
In fact according to my age I should've been in class 9.
I can't speak English that well but I manage really well with foreigners, with a lot of confidence but in a usual routine when I hear people make fun of other people in front of me for having poor English then I start thinking of myself and I try not speak!!! But at home I say whatever I want to practice my English.

How about college?
That seems a little difficult but may be privately. But first I'd like to take some computer classes because I'm really interested in that and I'd also like to do something in painting too I want to do everything in the world sometimes!!! Mama thinks I'm a gone case....

Don't you feel at a disadvantage being in this profession at such an early age?
Well actually no because the younger you come, the longer you can stay on the screen here.

How is this effecting your family life?
I try my best not to let them feel it at all. I act like the same child as I have always been at home. Honestly, people at home are impressed!!! I don't hold the same nakhras at home as I sometimes have to outside, like the way I sit and the way I talk. At home I just let loose!

So which side of the fence is better?
The are both nice outside I feel like I'm an adult (she snikers)and when I go back home I'm a child again. I'm getting the best of both worlds!!

What would you like to do once you are finished with acting?
I want to go into production. I can't act all my life but that's very far off.

Who would you be co-starring with in your film According to Khawar?
its Ahmad. Is it the much talked about "airforce" film I think so. But I don't know when they will be starting on that because I'm waiting so impatiently!!! It sounds like it is going to be a good movie by just its name. I always wanted to act in such films anyway, the patriotic types.

Sara Chaudhry

Do you watch movies yourself?
Well..umm..I'm not allowed to watch Pakistani films at home!!I (bursts out laughing) Indian maybe but definitely not Pakistani!! My family gets shocked by the gandi gandi batein in all these Punjabi films.

That must really confuse you?
Actually my family thinks its ok to act in the family movies. Like we all went to watch Teray Pyar Mein together and everyone liked it. That was a family film and they wouldn't have a problem with me acting in something like that.

So how does you father react to this?
If you ever come to my house you would be like aap keh papa kahan hain because he is so frank and open with us that he just doesn't look like a papa. But where he has to be strict he is.It's the same with my mamoo and all. They've kept such an atmosphere at home that their kids enjoy being at home with them.

What is the prerequisite of a good model?
You must have good figure, lots of expressions and should know Cat Walk, besides that she should have photogenic face.

What is your ambition?
Showbiz is my ambition, I want to make a particular place for me in it.

So is that enough (she smiles pleadingly)?
Sure I'll be seeing you on the big screen soon!
type=text/javascript> src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ad s.js" type=text/javascript>

Sara Chaudhry

😃😳
nazeeei thumbnail

: Iman Ali

Iman Ali is a brave woman, a woman who has learnt to swim against the current and fight all odds. In her first film, Khuda Kay Liye, she stepped into a role that did spell 'trouble'. She walked away with critical acclaim for her performance but also with a fatwa against her. Both have left her unperturbed.
Iman is also someone who takes up challenges. Rejecting social taboos, she agreed to dance in the Jazz Budget ad it wouldn't be wrong to say she helped start a trend on television.

Perhaps it's the personal battle she has been fighting with multiple sclerosis that has toughened her up. It's an ailment that still not many people understand in Pakistan and she has taken it upon herself to spread awareness so that other women may benefit from her experiences. Mag4you.com wishes Iman the heartiest of best wishes as she prepares to travel to Dehradun (India) later this week, for alternative therapy of MS.

In this brief interview Iman talks about the road she has been traveling through films, fashion, television and also multiple sclerosis....

Khuda Kay Liye has been doing so well despite your early apprehensions that it wasn't a commercial film. Your role has been greatly appreciated and you must be basking in glory these days?
Iman Ali: There's no glory as such. I haven't seen anything change. People's behaviour towards me has not changed.

The one most touching moment for me was when Babra Sharif called and told me how good I was - now that really mattered. She threw a party for me and all that appreciation coming from her was humbling. I'm such a big fan of hers to be appreciated by her felt very nice.

Do you think the film does a greater service to reviving cinema in Pakistan or to changing mind sets?
Iman Ali: It's a little bit of both. What this movie has done is start a dialogue. At least people are talking about it and the issues it takes up. Reaction, any reaction, can only be positive. Plus, before this film people thought that only Punjabi films do well in Pakistan. This broke the stereo type.

The perception has been proven wrong. Those films have flopped and Khuda Kay Liye is still running to packed theatres. No cinema is willing to take it down. Now hopefully other film makers will get the finances to take up equally stimulating projects. The people are ready for better cinema.

You've had nothing but good reviews from the film. Are film makers hounding you with offers now?
Iman Ali: Interestingly, I had offers even before the film was released. People who were interested had seen me act on television and they had seen me dance in the ad. So the offers were already there. What I'm extremely pleased about is that it has opened doors for Fawad. He has been 'discovered' in this film.

Are you working on a new project?
Iman Ali: I've been in dialogue with Amena Khan (from the former Amena-Ahsan video directors-duo) for some time now. I've always loved her work and she has been eager to make a feature film. I still don't know what she's making but I'm onboard the project. There have also been discussions with Asim Raza.

They're all ready to step out but are looking for financiers. I have to say that I may have done serious cinema, but I'm up for all genres of film. I want to do the comedy and the dancing. If it's good, it'll be good.

You love to dance, don't you?
Iman Ali: I absolutely love it! You know that I was supposed to dance at the Lux Style Awards this year but couldn't because of my health. I'm hoping I will be able to next year. And I want to do it with Pappu Samrat.

He's very good and I believe in giving our own people a chance. Talking about the LSAs I must also say that while we're all hunky dory about creating new stars, we mustn't let go of our legends. We should take our older generations of celebrities forward with us.

Television is what influences our masses the most and the second LSA was so strong in that it brought people like Moeen Akhter, Samina Ahmad, Feryal Gauher and many others together. Films are still a flop medium in Pakistan and fashion is still relatively inconsequential. It's these people who can still bring more life and even class to a show.

Iman, you have always been very open about your health, despite the fact that it could have jeopardized your career. What has motivated you in being so vocal about it?
Iman Ali: I've been open because people in Pakistan don't know about MS. I've seen a lot of cases where women have not taken it seriously until they're in a wheel chair and their condition is out of control. It targets mostly women so people find it convenient to ignore.

Awareness has to be created: it was recently discovered that multiple sclerosis is life threatening. I motivated Nadia Khan to do a show on it. I don't understand why anyone would hide it? Alopathic treatment is unaffordable to most people and I now want to spread awareness about the alternative methods available.

I really want to make some difference and share my experience once I'm back from India where I'll be gone for around six to seven weeks. Before leaving I want to clarify that I am not going to Bombay to make films I am going to Dehradun for alternative therapy on MS.

nazeeei thumbnail
Laila Zuberi

Laila Zuberi, an evergreen lady who has been the centre of attraction of TV audiences
for the last 22 years, is still charming. This green-eyed icon's beauty
is still charming. She started her career as a child star and child broadcaster.
Her zodiac sign is Leo. She was born and did her graduation from Karachi. She
married her cousin and she has two daughters. Currently she is living with her
family in Islamabad. Recently I met this charming lady one evening and got to
know her better. Though somewhat proud looking she is charming and affable. Following
are her answers to a few questions I asked her:

How did you enter TV?

I joined the TV and radio in my childhood. My first play was Omar Marvi and after marriage I started working for PTV in a proper way, because Kazim Pasha offered me the play Aabroo. This play became very famous and I got a positive response from the public.

What kind of difficulties have you faced in this field?

After marriage, when I started my career as an actress I faced a lot of criticism from my in-laws, especially from my father-in-law. But my husband supported and encouraged me and I didn't face any other hurdle in this field.

What is the most memorable character and play in your career?

My most favorite play was Khak Jahh. In this serial I played a role of beggar girl, who collected the things from garbage that was my most memorable character.

What differences in TV do you find in the1985 period and today?

(She smiled) I have worked in many plays on TV. I feel sad whenever I asked friends and viewers about my dramas and they simply nodded their heads obligingly.

But it is the fault of viewers because in period of 1985 only one channel was on air and viewers would watch that play with concentration. Now today there is boom of TV channels and every channel is showing different play for viewers. So in fact, today the situation has changed very much and advanced.

What about your production house?

I launched my production house in 1999. One of my plays Aap Ko Kia Takleef was on air on Aaj channel and one play Mr and Mrs was on air on Hum channel. My play Wilko I've given to PTV and many other plays are running. Now I am going to start a play about anti-narcotics to promote awareness among the young generation the title is Zindagi. This play will soon be aired on PTV. I am also acting in this play.

Which is your favourite TV centre?

I like Karachi centre, as they are quite advanced and efficient. I enjoyed myself in Lahore and the spicy food of this city. However, in Islamabad you will not find many artists. Usually artists are called by the Islamabad centre from other centres. The Islamabad centre is also lacking the sharp and professional atmosphere of Karachi and Lahore.

What film offers have you received?

I have received many film offers but the film industry is lacking professionalism and serious people. There is a dire need of professional people who could boost this industry in a positive and effective manner. If a film is like Khuda ke Leye, then I would think about working in films.

Is acting hard or easy?

Everyone can't do acting. We have a lot of talent in our country. I always encouraged newcomers and educated people should join this field. One academy Nepa' is working in Karachi for newcomers and will shortly be starting in Islamabad.

When you go out what sort of response do you get from the public?

I am used to this now and at the same time I feel happy to meet people. Everywhere I get a good response from people and they give me special attention in every public place, markets, banks etc.

Do you watch your own plays?.

Of course I watch my plays with my family and also receive criticism from my family. So in this way I can improve the shortcomings in myself. One of my plays was Rawal Jugni. I didn't like my character in this play as my character was not powerful.

What about professional jealousy?

Professional jealousy is a major problem in this field. Some people think that I feel pride when I find people are jealous of me. But I am not really like that.

What facilities are provided to artists in our country?

No facilities are provided to artists in our country. There should be rules and regulations for channels, like before casting an artist a channel should make a firm commitment and change their decision. When payment is made the artist often finds it less than what was agreed. Artists do hard work and they should be given respect like other professions. PTV is the only channel that still has professionalism in every manner.

Currently Laila Zuberi is doing a play on ATV channel Khuda Gawah and she is playing the role of a Prime Minster. She is also known as a social activist and she is the chairperson of the Red Crescent Society'.

OnlyHope thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3

Interview of Nadia Khan for Nadia Khan Fans

IF YOU need inspiration to kick-start your quest for impossible showbiz dreams, flip on the vibrant morning show titled Nadia Khan Show - Geo Mazay Sey, from 9-11 on weekdays.

There's a good chance you'll see a pretty, perky lady looking back at you with a pair of warm brown eyes and an extremely innocent, young face.

Nadia Khan's wit, humour and quick thinking are displayed in front of the camera.

When and where were you born?

i was born on 22nd of May 1979, in Quetta, which makes me a Gemini. I can still disclose my age, (laughs) for at least another four years.

Describe yourself.

I'm a very positive yet stubborn person. I like to celebrate life and have fun and I'm definitely not a control freak. I don't like anybody to suffer and I don't allow anyone to give me pain.

As a young child, did you have any idea, any vision, of what you wanted to accomplish?

Yes. I guess I was pretty sure what I wanted to do from the time I remember. When I was a child I used to play six or seven characters at one time. I was 14 years old when my first show came on television. My first show was Dark Time and the first serial was with Hasina Moen. I wouldn't have acted if it was for anyone else other than Hasina.
A lot of people in showbiz start very early, and now I realise why.

How did your family react towards this?

By the grace of God I have a very broad-minded family. I made my television debut through NTM, 14 years back. My cousin and sister in-law were working with NTM, which was, in those days, introducing a lot of youngsters as compares and announcers. As I mentioned earlier, I was at that time a student of class VIII and wanted to become an announcer. I sought my father's permission to appear on NTM as an announcer. Finally one day, I went to meet my cousin who was, unlike my father, hesitant at first to allow me to work on TV. I had a screen test done and it was there when a director spotted me.

And what about your husband?

My husband is my backbone. It's taken me seven years to change his thinking and now he is so proud of me. He keeps telling me that I have to grow as an artist, and helps me with the current issues concerning politics and the newsy bit. He doesn't only respect my profession but also supports me with new ideas. My in-laws are my biggest critics but their support is immense.

Did you ever consider any other career besides talking, broadcasting, acting?

Never. This is what I wanted to do. But life is very unpredictable it makes different choices for you. I gave it all up when I got married to my Dubai based husband. So when I moved here there wasn't much to do and I couldn't join the Arabic media because of the language. I wanted my own set-up and hence I waited for something 'Pakistani' to happen. And here I am, back to the showbiz arena.

Do you feel that acting, direction and production have changed during the recent years since PTV?

Media boom in Pakistan happened much too quickly, the media wasn't ready as they lacked the technical staff. Channels are scared to invest in individual growth because they'll be dumped as soon as the staff is trained. It is very unfortunate that people want to become rich overnight. For them it's all about money, not about channel loyalty.
On the other hand, actors' attitude has changed because of so much work happening. All of them are so busy that they can't stay focused due to this.

Do you feel it's difficult to conduct an interview in pure Urdu? Or there is no such restriction for your show?

never wanted to do a complete English show because my forte is Urdu and so I waited for a long time for this show to happen. I don't communicate in proper Urdu, it's a mix of English as well and there are no such limitations for my show.

Is it important to be educated in the field of production?

Certainly, learning the craft teaches one to recognise better directors, teaches one punctuality and respect for others in the team. It's a great career for women, its for the educated people, they must study media as there are so many opportunities in this field. Media needs talented and experienced women.

How do you go about it, right from how the questions are being conceptualised, to coordinating and finalising the high-profile guests?

My team does some of the research for me, whatever is catchy I remember and what I don't remember is not interesting enough. As a compere, I feel, my brain connects to the brain of my viewers. Hence I know what will click to them. Over the years my thinking process has become so fast that I edit everything in my mind before I say it therefore never had to regret anything I said. And as far as guests are concerned, I avoid specialists like doctors and all. I don't have to fill a slot. Exclusivity is an essential part of the show and who ever we approve of, has to be credible.

Who came up with the concept?

There's an entire team called Geo Idea Cell working for the show operating from Pakistan. My director wanted a morning show as a vehicle to show that celebrities are just like everybody else. So it was a chance to hang out with all these famous people.

Do you research on the stars you'll be interviewing?

look them up on the Internet, and the director writes a couple of sample questions for me, but it's really just whatever they want to talk about. I'm not there to be, or even pretend to be, Larry King. This is a reminder that the people we all enjoy watching are just like us. That's all.

How have you found interviewing other stars? Were you ever uncomfortable?

My work is a hobby that I am almost addicted to. Only three people in my guest list have given me strange vibes. Others have been brilliant.

Do you believe in media ethics?

Ofcourse I do. Before the show starts, I ask all the celebrities if there's anything they would not want me to ask them. I'm not somebody who would just want to sit here like a pastry and count my ratings. I don't want to get a kick out of embarrassing anybody. Everybody has their own secrets. Since I know how to frame my questions I have a certain edge on others. The strange thing is that my guests connect with me so easily that they end up telling me more than I ask for. Every show I do is done with a great responsibility. I own every word I say. Earlier I used to make fun of people and now I realise how time has changed me. I hope our senior comperes realise that it's time for them to grow up.

How is it for you to get so up close and personal with stars?

get excited, but I wouldn't say I'm intimidated. I don't get nervous with my guests. I just get giggly.
I don't watch international TV shows because I believe that if something inspires you, you are bound to copy and since I have a tendency to mimic and copy style and accents, I avoid watching such shows. I'm a trendsetter myself and I'm not really impressed with the western morning shows but in the end I think that blends well with their culture.

Who was your first guest on a live show and how was your experience with him/ her?

My first guests were Javaid Shaikh and Poonam Dhillon. I was extremely comfortable with them and it was good fun. I have a lot of regard for my Indian guests as they make an extra effort to come to my show and are extremely polite.

How do you deal with criticism?

I only take criticism from people I know, not from strangers. I should know that the person has complete knowledge of my show. I have some friends who are hard on me. I wanted to bring in something new for my show so I changed myself. People change the show, props or sets, but I changed my wardrobe. Seven years back when I got married, I started wearing

conservative clothes, and I lost track of fashion. I realised that I'm young but yet not experimenting at all. So I'll keep on changing as a person and I'll evolve for the better.

What about competition?

My show was the first perky breakfast show. I think the viewers need a variety so it's good that they are coming up with more morning shows. I don't feel competition because they all started after me. I don't have a moment of insecurity because I have a huge fan following internationally. I can proudly say that I have the best technical team that backs me up. You can send me to Sudan and I'll do the same show if I have the same technical support.

Is it difficult to work in a male-dominated society?

I'm very fortunate that I never came across such men. I believe that a woman can surmount any society if the men in the house are supportive. Because I joined at such a fragile age I was told not to joke on the sets. I was a popular miss attitude. One can build an image and sustain a reputation by their actions. Nobody wants to be termed as 'persona non grata.'

How do you juggle your personal life with work and what challenges do you encounter?

When I got married I started teaching immediately. I taught drama in Dubai Gem for 3 years. Since I'm not a qualified drama teacher I couldn't have taken it up as a career. It wasn't lucrative enough. My salary was the lowest among my colleagues. I used to put up drama performances for 200 and more students along with taking care of the technical stuff as well. I also taught in Jumeirah international Art Centre. But I missed performing myself. It was a very learning experience but I wasn't happy with what I was doing. I hoped this is not what I had to do for the rest of my life.

What is the reason behind the success of the show?

The success of this programme is that I'm doing one show only. No other artist in this field sticks to one thing.
When I started the show on another channel I had a baby of two months old, I weighed 84 kg. I realised that what is there for people like me in television. I wanted to do one exclusive show and nothing else on the side. My colleagues used to say it's a commercial death for an artist.

What do you do if you're having a bad morning?

I'm happy and excited every morning. I've worked in immensely tough situations. My sister passed away and I continued my show. I'm one tough Pakistani woman and I know that I'm strong because I'm a Pakistani. Women from our country can accept any challenges and we don't give up on our families or our husbands. Pakistani women are homemakers. Changing the people around you is a big achievement. Lots of people and families see me as their role model because I've dealt with the toughest situations with patience and courage.

Besides hosting this show, do you have any plans for acting?

I don't have stamina for drama, this show cant stop. I can never get tired of this show. Everyday there's something new in store for me.

Would you like to give a message to the youngsters?

Life is going to be more beautiful hereafter, one should smile and have a positive attitude towards life. Serve Pakistan in whatever way you can.

enjoy 😃😃😃

Posted by nazeeei (Nazia)

supercool thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

ATIF ASLAM😃

Shoaib Mansoor, Atif Aslam, Shafqat Amanat Ali and Pappu Saein, amongst others, receive the highest civilian award in Pakistan

Instep Today talks to Atif Aslam on being the youngest artiste to be honoured!

Aamna Haider Isani
Karachi

Pakistan has been in a state of emergency ever since the memory jogs back (one does see hope rising on the horizon of a new democratic system) but as experts say, from oppression rises some of the best art and literature and our music industry is solid proof of that. While the government has done little to facilitate the music scene back home, thus squeezing musicians over and across the border, it has been gracious enough to recognize some of the formidable forces.

At the President's Awards ceremony held at the Governor's House (Lahore) on March 23 (Pakistan Day), a couple of the industry's biggest players were brought into a limelight of another kind - a kind they're not quite used to! Shafqat Amanat Ali Khan received the Presidential Award, Atif Aslam and Zulfiqar Ali alias Pappu Saein received the Tamgha-e-Imtiaz and vocalists Reshma and Ustad Hamid Ali Khan along with film director Shoaib Mansoor received the prestigious Sitara-i-Imtiaz.

While many of these artistes were inaccessible, Instep Today managed to get in touch with Shafqat Amanat Ali and Atif Aslam on receiving this honour and how they feel it can change anything about the way entertainment and music is promoted in Pakistan.

Here's Atif on the hotline ….

Instep Today: How did it feel to be honoured by the government at the President's Award ceremony this year?

Atif Aslam: It was amazing! The ceremony was great. The people there were so fascinating. There was this one man who was being honoured for making khussas. There were so many different kinds of people and it felt amazing to be part of this crowd.

Instep Today: And there you were, all dressed up in a sherwani!

AA: The sherwani part was fascinating. We were told it had to be black tie and in Pakistan 'black tie' means a sherwani. So Shahbaz (Atif's brother and official stylist) designed one for me. But when I wore it, I told him I felt like a dulha. It was weird but also cool in a way.

Instep Today: Why do you think you were given the award this year specifically?

AA: I think because I represented Pakistan internationally a lot this year. That's what the Tamgha-e-Imtiaz stands for. It's awarded to people who make Pakistan proud globally. I performed in around 25 different countries this year and that's why I received it. It is always a great feeling to honour one's country.

Instep Today: Other than India, which country do you think you're most popular in?

AA: Strangely, I was very pleasantly surprised in Mauritius. I was there around March 12 - my birthday - and a girl in a shop recognized me. Shahbaz was buying me balloons and stuff and suddenly all these fans appeared wishing me the best of wishes. I was really surprised because I never knew that the people of Mauritius knew me that well. That night I performed in front of 14,000 people. It was a great experience. But other than Mauritius, even Norway and London are great.

Instep Today: You've made quite a name for yourself in India too, but there has been some strong criticism by singers like Sunidhi Chauhan and Abhijeet who say that you can't sing…

AA: (laughs) I've never said I can sing. Look, unlike these guys, I have no professional training and I always say that I cannot sing. I agree I cannot sing. What's amazing is that I've made a career out of doing something I can't do. Sunidhi is a brilliant singer and she is welcome to her opinion. As for Abhijeet, I have to say that his opinion rises from his anti-Muslim sentiments.

Instep Today: You've also made some admirers, like Bipasha Basu…

AA: Bipasha is quite an interesting dish!

Instep Today: There have been rumours that you have been getting offers to act in Bollywood films too?

AA: I have but am waiting for the right script, no matter how clichd that sounds. Right now my music career is going great. My album, Meri Kahani, has been number one on charts in India and Pakistan. I don't want to put my music career at risk right now.

Instep Today: Do you think the fact that the government is recognizing musicians will make a difference to how music is perceived in this country? Can the government do anything to facilitate the progress of this industry?

AA: I think the government has promoted it, which is why it's going places. Pakistani music is going places, man! We're being appreciated all over the world. At the Award Ceremony, I was told that I'm the youngest artiste to have gotten this award and even more was expected from me.

Instep Today: So, are you already working on your next album?

AA: Like I said, Meri Kahani is still in the spotlight. 'Pehli Nazar Main' is in the spotlight and is doing exceptionally well. Yes I will start working on my next album soon but it'll be a commercial album unlike Meri Kahani. I am going to go commercial now. Plus, other than that, I am recording a song for an Indian film (starring Shahid Kapoor and Vidya Balan) called Qismat Connection these days. Instep is the first to know.

'Pehli Nazar Main' plays to crowded houses as Race fever strikes Pakistan

Race is on in cinemas in Pakistan and other than the star cast - Saif Ali Khan, Akshaye Khanna, Anil Kapoor, Bipasha Basu, Katrina Kaif and Sameera Reddy - it's Atif's vocals on 'Pehli Nazar Main' that has people swaying to the beat. Like 'Tere Bin' from the film Bas Ek Pal, Atif's song 'Pehli Nazar Main' is undoubtedly the strongest track on the Race soundtrack. It's already out in a club and lounge versions and is doing the rounds of all major music channels. Meri Kahani seems to be doing well too, but amazingly, it's 'Pehli Nazar Main' that does justice to Atif's mind blowing vocals. His voice leaps out of the song in full force, whereas in the album it seems mellowed out and drowned in the midst of the music.

Indian critics are all praise for Atif. "'Pehli Nazar Mein' is a soft rock stylized mushy song," writes SmashHits.com. "The soft rock music is gentle and addictive, thanks to some pleasant guitar strumming, but the credit goes to none other than the brilliant Pakistani singer named Atif Aslam of the 'Woh Lamhe' and 'Tere Bin' fame. His vocals lift it to a new pitch. He expresses the emotions of someone who has just fallen in love. And, Sameer's lyrics leave big impact. Overall, this is a must listen at least because of Atif's performance. So, try it once more."

Hey, do we need to say more? Could there be a better reason for heading out to the cinema?

supercool thumbnail

Shafqat Amanat ALi😃

Shafqat Amanat Ali receives the President's Award for excellence in music

Instep Today catches up with the musician on his upcoming Sufi album and what he's been up to post-Fuzon.

Aamna Haider Isani

It's difficult to get track of high profile, popular musicians like Shafqat Amanat Ali since they jet-set all over the place, especially in the neighboring land of Bollywood. Shafqat has been there too, in fact his song from last year's Kabhie Alvida Naa Kehna - 'Mitwa' - was one of he most memorable from the soundtrack of the Shahrukh Khan and Rani Mukherjee starrer.

Fame and stardom can make you highly elusive but when the government of your country selects you for receiving one of the most prestigious civilian awards around, rest assured the musician will make sure he's around to receive it. That too in a sherwani!

We spoke with Atif Aslam a couple of days ago and also managed to catch up with Shafqat Amanat Ali on how he felt to be the recipient of the President's Award this week. He discusses that and a lot more in this Instep Today exclusive…

Instep Today: Why do you think the government gave you the President's Award this year?

Shafqat Amanat Ali: I can't say why I got it this year. All I feel is that I have walked in the footsteps of my family. This award is the fifth awarded to my family and I am proud to be walking in the tradition set by my father, my uncles, Hamid Ali Khan (who has also received the Sitara-i-Imtiaz this year) …my whole family. It is the highest civilian award in Pakistan, though I don't think I've been working for it much in the past year.

Instep Today: Does the government's recognition of musicians change the way it perceives the industry as a whole? Do you think its attitude is changing and we can expect support and facilitation of the industry?

SAA: I don't think there will be any major changes. This is just a good gesture and should be seen as such. By recognizing and honouring musicians, the government shows that it is liberal in its views. But what they should be careful about is mindlessly distributing these awards each year. They can't be handing out these honours to just anyone simply because they must have a musician or artist on their list. The industry should work harder and it should truly deserve it.

Instep Today: There are several other musicians, besides yourself, who have been honoured this year. So who do you think didn't deserve it?

SAA: (laughs) No, no… I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that awards should be earned, not passed out randomly.

Instep Today: What do you consider the milestones of your career last year?

SAA: After disbanding, a lot of rumours were going around that I had two albums up my sleeve, ready for release. That was not true. I had not prepared any solo album at that time. But I do have an album ready now and it is a Sufi album. It is ready to be released. The other album, the one I had done with the band, will come out in October-November. It won't have as much masala as a Fuzon album would have had, but it will have my signature. I wanted to put an album between the release of the disbanding and the Fuzon album, which is why I have worked on a Sufi album.

Instep Today: How did you come across the idea of doing a Sufi album?

SAA: I was actually offered the project in India. India Today wanted me to do a Sufi album but I told them that what they thought as Sufi music, was in fact nothing of the sort. I explained it to them - Sufi music had to be about the kalaam and raags, not synthesized music. I told them that I would do it my way.

This was supposed to be a mid-term sort of album but has turned out to be quite cool. India Today will be releasing it as the biggest release of the year. They understood what I had done and were quite excited about it.

Instep Today: How are they planning on promoting the album?

SAA: Well, they are getting in touch with some of the top Indian actresses for the videos. Let's see if any of them agree. They wanted the stars but I insisted that it would HAVE to be a Pakistani music video director. They were very curious to know why and I told them that just as there is a huge difference between Indian pop and Pakistani pop music, there is a huge difference in the way we see things. We have our own distinct look that I want to retain in my songs and videos. The visual identity has to be mine.

I have given them a list of all top directors - who in all probability will be too busy to agree to do my videos. But India Today has agreed. They were on with this 'fusion'!

Instep Today: Weren't you also planning on producing two albums with Rohail Hyatt?

SAA: Yes, my solo albums. But Rohail has gotten very busy with his Coke Studio project and I don't know when he'll have the time. We'll see if we can do the album together.

Instep Today: Do you have any comments about Fuzon's new vocalist and the fact that they've come out with a new version of 'Neend Na Aaye' that you had sung?

SAA: He is a good singer and I don't know him personally but from what I've heard of him, he's a good person too.

Instep Today: Last of all, as a recipient of the Presidential Award, what steps would you like to be seen taken by the government to help the progress and facilitation of the music industry?

SAA: Things have been the same in this country since 1947. The government is not going to get up and suddenly start giving out stipends to artistes, neither are they about to open institutes for training people. But things will still continue to happen. What the government can do is make it easier for musicians to bring technical equipment into the country. We buy equipment worth millions and then pay millions again in customs. This process should be made duty free or at least less duty for musicians.

supercool thumbnail
MEERA 😆

its an old one buh its soo funny lol 😆
supercool thumbnail

Adeel😃

Atif Aslam is Adeel's favourite singer

In the music industry, everyone has a key favourite singer. Ali Azmat thinks very highly of Shiraz Uppal. Abida Parveen loves Ali Zafar. And now we've discovered that Adeel Chaudhry of 'Haniya' fame thinks very highly of Atif Aslam.

"Atif Aslam is my favourite singer and I love his vocals," commented Adeel while speaking with Instep Today. Atif may well be off-key but that 'x' factor in his voice still makes him one of the most loved voices in town.

Adeel also revealed that like his favourite singer, he too has ventured into Bollywood.

"The film is called Juggar and it features Manoj Bajpai and Urmila Matondkar. My last single, 'Koi Chehra' will be featured in the film," said Adeel speaking with Instep Today. He also revealed that he is all set to release his next video, 'Disco Bullah' early next month. And is also planning a massive tour of the US of A.

Adeel debuted on the music scene in 2006 with 'Haniya' and since then has developed a small but steady following for himself. Now whether he makes it in the long run remains to be seen but do watch out for his album, Koi Chehra, out in stores now!

Awww i love Atif Aslam tooo 😃😆

maihjabin thumbnail
I hope u can see this interview: