Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

293418 thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Alright, thanks for that Aishu. Now I really should log off. Studying that is needed to be done for a huge final so I should go, but it was a pleasure to talk to you. I will be back to my chattering self on Friday or Thursday night if I am not tired. See ya later.😊
Terenaina thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
bye nimmi... good luck with ur studies
Terenaina thumbnail
Thanks to maya for posting this article

We were surprised to see Deepika Padukone hanging out with Ranveer Shorey, (not Ranbir) in a five star lobby in Mumbai last week. What did the two have in common one wondered till Ranbir and Konkona walked in to the hotel together. And it all made sense.

Ranbir and Konkona were shooting for Ayan Mukherjee's (Kajol and Rani's cousin) debut directorial Wake Up Sid close by and had decided to go out after the pack up. The two have shot a schedule in New York already and have become good friends.
Konkona had even become good friends with Deepika as she'd visited her boyfriend on the sets in NY. And then the two hosted a segment of an awards show together recently. It was a double date of sorts according to onlookers, as they realised Deepika and Ranveer were waiting for their respective partners. When they arrived, the foursome headed for the coffee shop and hung out for a couple of hours sipping on coffee and bantering over movies. Shorey was probably meeting Deepika and Ranbir for the first time but was in charge of the conversations and had the table in splits with his witty remarks and Konkona seemed one happy woman.
293418 thumbnail
I wanted to reply to this earlier, but I am glad that Koko and Deepika are friends. But they seem like cool, levelheaded, and hardworking actresses so I am not surprised.

Toolbox

Sidewalk Cafe in collaboration with the Indian Cultural Centre screen Mr and Mrs Iyer next Tuesday.

Mr and Mrs Iyer is an Indian drama film, written and directed by Aparna Sen and produced by N Venkatesan. The film features Aparna Sen's daughter Konkona Sen Sharma as Meenakshi Iyer, a Tamil Iyer Brahmin. Rahul Bose portrays the character of Raja Chowdhury, a Muslim wildlife photographer. The story revolves around these two lead characters during a fateful bus journey amidst the carnages of a communal strife in India. When a rioting Hindu mob arrives and forcibly enters the bus, interrogating passengers about their religious identities, Meenakshi Iyer shields Raja's Muslim identity by introducing him and her as Mr and Mrs Iyer to the rioters.

After two harrowing nights during which they witness a horrific murder and Meenakshi comes to terms with her own prejudices, true affection develops between them, melting away all their differences.

Zakir Hussain, an Indian tabla maestro, composed the background score and music for the film; Goutam Ghose, a film director himself, was the cinematographer.

Admission is free and the film starts at 7pm

http://www.stabroeknews.com/2009/the-scene/05/16/mr-and-mrs-iyer-at-the-sidewalk/

This is from a paper all the way in Guyana in South America where I didn't think Hindi films would be that popular.

Edited by dizzyonlemonade - 15 years ago
293418 thumbnail
Entertainment
I feel like a novice in front of Ranbir: Konkona Sen

Mumbai (IANS): National Award winning actress Konkona Sen Sharma is impressed by Ranbir Kapoor's knowledge of the technical aspects of cinema and feels like a newcomer in front of the young actor who is her co-star in "Wake Up, Sid".

"Ranbir is a very big star. And also a good actor. But most impressive is the fact that he knows everything about cinema, and not just acting. In front of him I feel like a novice. Ranbir knows about camera angles and all. In fact, they even took his suggestions on camera angles," Konkona told IANS.

"I'm getting to know Ranbir a bit only now after shooting for so many months. He's warm and sweet, but we both keep in our own space. People want to see how we look together. We come from different genres of cinema," she added.

Produced by Karan Johar, the film is the first directorial venture of Ayan Mukherjee, who assisted Ashutosh Gowariker on "Swades" (2004) and Karan on "Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna" (2006).

Konkona says she has no aptitude for the technical side.

"I'm an actor and quite comfortable in that role. I don't think I've any plans of directing a film," said the actress who wowed the audience with her powerful performances in "Mr. & Mrs Iyer", "Page 3" and "Omkara".

She's also all praise for Farhan Akhtar, her co-star in the 2008 film "Luck By Chance".

"I've known him for a while. It's hard to say 'Luck By Chance' is his third film as an actor. He's a natural," she said.

Tabu was supposed to do Konkona's role in "Luck By Chance", just like Konkona was Mira Nair's first choice for "The Namesake".

When asked if this was her way of getting even, Konkona said: "You're investing too much power into the actors. I had heard Tabu was to do 'Luck By Chance'. Even 'Page 3' was offered to other people. I was just happy to get both. 'Luck By Chance' is such an intricately written script. The film has a lot of soul."

Although she doesn't like talking about it, her new home, done up by Pavitra Rajaram, occupies much of her creative space these days. More so since she was down with a viral attack which kept her confined at home.

"I got this viral flu on the sets of 'Wake Up, Sid'. We were shooting in a closed air-conditioned set. And when one person got the fever so did everyone else. We had to take a few days off. But I'm fine now.

"It's basically a coming-of-age story between me and Ranbir. No point in shooting when we're not there. When you're feeling sick you look sick on camera," said the actress who moved into her new house in December last year.

"I was dying to move in. It's just 15 minutes away from where I stayed earlier. It's much more spacious and far more organised. In my head, I am still living in cottages and barsaatis. Even my earlier place just had stuff cluttered all over. Now I was...like bowled over because I've a real dining table."
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/009200905151021.htm

As I said earlier somewhere else, itna bhi humble hona both mushkil hai. If she ever praises herself, I would like to know. Thanks.
293418 thumbnail
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Entertainment/Bollywood/I-like-reading-gossip-Konkona/articleshow/4551655.cms

I like reading gossip: Konkona

20 May 2009, 0000 hrs IST, AAKANSHA NAVAL SHETYE, TNN

Email Discuss Share Save Text:

B-town is replete with examples of actresses who after establishing themselves as the latka-jhatka-masala-queens, try their hand at offbeat
Konkona Sen Sharma More Pics
cinema in a bid to let the actor in them surface, and take charge over their glam-doll image.

But trust Konkona SenSharma to swim against the tide. Starting off with parallel cinema up her way to the commercial rung (read bigger banners), the actress has off-late ditched her non-glam avatar to metamorphose into a glamourous butterfly. From the sari-clad mom in Mr and Mrs Iyer to the more recent Luck By Chance and now Wake Up Sid, Konkona's transformation is there for all to see. But mention this to the actress and she rolls her eyes in amusement.

"I've really never bothered about all that. I do films for fun, not to prove any point or show off my acting abilities," she says. "My recent films are a pick of what was offered to me. I never intentionally went hunting for either types. If a story attracts me enough, I am on, irrespective of the banner, budget or genre!" adds Konkona, quick to defend her recent choice of glam-roles.

Going the glam way, she may be, but Konkona's absolutely unfazed by the pressures of looking or acting in the conventional Bollywood heroine mould. "I just don't see the point in becoming something that I am not. And I don't feel the pressure of adhering to any such norm simply because I don't feel like I belong to Bollywood. I feel like an outsider with one foot always out of the door. And I really like it that way," she says.

Happy with the films that she has on her platter, Konkona unlike her peers, also revels in the fact that she's 'not at all ambitious'. A fact that Konkona admits worries her mom, filmmaker Aparna Sen, no end, but 'that's just the way I am.' "I am very boring a person. Not at all passionate, very unlike mom. I am always looking for short cuts. In fact, I didn't even want to be an actress. I'd have rather become a journalist or do something in advertising," she reveals.

Ad world's loss is filmdom's gain? "No, no. I think there are some very talented actresses out there doing a fabulous job." But now that she is a part of the 'glam-race' are there any filmmakers or roles hot on her list. "I would never go hunting for roles. The day I have to do that, I'll just retire! But I'll definitely love to work again with Mira Nair and am also looking forward to doing a film with ma later this year."

And does direction ever figure on her list any time soon? "Well, I have directed a 15-minute short film in Bengali, but I am not ready for that kind of responsibility yet. May be in another 20 years, who knows?"

Definitely, not the types to plan out an agenda, Konkona reveals that she believes in taking life as it comes. "Life rarely goes according to plans, so I never plan anything for myself, professionally or personally." Talking about personal life, does the constant intrusion in her private life offend her. "No, it's just a part of being an actor, na. Even I am curious about Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's personal life, so I understand. As for me, I don't like to talk about my private life and I think people do respect that.

293418 thumbnail

KONKONA SEN SHARMA: Lucky by chance

-A +A
Font
Geety Sahgal Posted: Jun 12, 2009 at 1602 hrs IST
She's a league apart, not only in her choice of films, but also in her personal choices and attitude

Garden Terrace is a striking high-rise in Mumbai's far-flung suburbs behind a drab restaurant called Kancha Bar. The view from the sprawling 9th floor five bedroom apartment is breathtaking, not in terms of being ostentatious but elegant. Konkona Sen Sharma strolls in smiling, looking sweet and vulnerable in her pyjamas and a tee. That could be her biggest connect to the audience. Her simplicity and girl-next-door looks. No wonder, despite her unique selection of roles, films are happening. She flops on the settee by the French windows, where the drapes are drawn to keep the harsh sun rays away. She has just completed Ayan Mukerjee's Wake Up Sid and is looking forward to the release of Vinay Shukla's Mirch, besides she is going through a couple of scripts.

"I don't go out looking for challenging roles, so as to say. Films like Metro and Luck By Chance fell into my lap. The script has to touch me in some way. It could be a typical commercial film, a humourous story or a simple one. And I have said yes instantly to 80 per cent of the films that have come my way, be it mom's films, Mirch or Wake Up Sid," she says snuggling up a silken cushion.

In fact, she is super-excited about ...Sid in which she plays a post-graduate student who dreams of becoming a film director. She is paired opposite Ranbir Kapoor and the film touches upon the relationship between an older woman and a younger man. Of course, she wishes people would stop harping on the age difference!

"It's not as if we are a decade apart in age. It's only about being three-four years, which is not much in today's times," she retorts a wee bit annoyed.

She's sure that Mirch, the story about four women, (she and Raima Sen play two roles each) will bring a change in people's perspective about todays young women. In the lesser known Right Ya Wrong she plays a lawyer.

Considering that she never really harboured any ambitions of becoming an actor and would have been happy working in a magazine as a journalist, Konkona Sen Sharma has made a mark for herself as a formidable actor. What is the best thing about being an actor? How does she tackle a role?

"Our work is project-based, so every film means a new set of people, new locations and of course different characters. That's good fun. But I never work consciously on my roles. Sometimes workshops are held and at times there are rehearsals before we start shooting for a film. That helps in getting to know my character. Then directors like Ayan Mukerjee really push an actor. We had many readings before we embarked on ...Sid," she says.

Of course there are times when things do not work out as planned. Some of her films like debutant director Venod Mitra's Meridian and Rituparno Ghosh's Sunglass have been made, but she does not know when they will release. Then there are some films that she regrets doing, but would prefer not to name them.

"That wouldn't be fair would it as at that stage I must have wanted to do them," she says.

Doesn't she nurse ambitions of becoming a director like her mother, Aparna Sen? It is likely, that like her mother she will have a unique vision of her own and the film would be something to look forward to.

"I will only direct a film, if I want to say anything and can say it with a film. Whenever I feel that urge, I will make a movie and it will be a small intimate film. But I don't see it happening in the near future."

What about working with her mother in a film?

"Mom and I are both busy. She's travelling and I am busy with my work. Hopefully, by the end of the year we will be doing a film together. And I am sure we will be at a better footing now, as I feel so much older now. I remember when we were shooting for Mr And Mrs Iyer she would scold me the most. One day a whole group of us forgot to get our scripts but she only yelled at me," she laughs.

When not working Konkona likes to travel and if at home, likes to laze around her apartment. "I am a cleanliness freak and keep putting things in place. I never took to cooking but can toss up some nice bhindis and dal."

She loves to sing and dance and points out at a big screen at the far end of a room, saying that she loves to have friends over regularly for a session of karaoke.

Talking about living with beau Ranvir Shorey and the best thing about being in a relationship, she says that she does not generally like to talk about her personal life, "But yes, if one is in love and in a relationship one feels good as there is always someone you like being with. Otherwise I am not a very romantic person and don't go overboard in expressing my love. In fact, Titanic, which the world found romantic, did not appeal to me. I think it went over the top," she says, sipping in on the tangy nimbu paani.

Interestingly, Konkona is all set to start rehearsing for director Atul Kumar's play The Blue Mug, which also has Ranvir in it! "I have done theatre before, but this is the first time I will be on stage in Mumbai. I am looking forward to it," she trails off.

Terenaina thumbnail
Thanks for posting those articles. I love her answers to every questions. I just can't wait for Wake up sid. We already know that Konkona is like the best actress. The movie is going to be about a good looking guy and a girl not so good looking falling in love.
220680 thumbnail
Thank you so much for keeping it updated, Nimmi!

I'm really looking forward to Wake Up Sid.. Ranbir and her will have good chemistry together and I agree with her, why is 3-4 years age difference made out to be such a big deal? Who cares if the girl is older or younger?
Terenaina thumbnail
Ranbir is acting with all the females in bollywood...LOL that's a good thing for sure. Age is nothing but a number since he's being paired with madhuri.
But I think Ranbir and Konkona look like the same age. Can't wait to see them together