Pakistan says 'Welcome' Bollywood

Dua143 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 16 years ago
Pakistan says 'Welcome' Bollywood

Cinemas across Pakistan are screening not one or two but three Indian films simultaneously. It is something that Bollywood fans in Pakistan could only dream of till a year ago.

Following the release of Gangster and Goal and days after the senate committee on Culture recommended the exhibition of Indian films in Pakistan, Karachi audiences are thrilled to welcome Bollywood's latest Akshay Kumar, Katrina Kaif starrer.

"There was hype in the public about the co-release of Welcome with the Indian industry but the movie was extended two times by the censor board. Now there is not the same hype but probably within one two weeks people are going to come and see this movie on the big screen," said Ashir Gill, GM, Universe Cineplex, Karachi.

The Pakistan Censor Board finally gave a green signal to Welcome's release on the condition that most of Feroz Khan's scenes were pruned. It is a move that some producers say will affect the movie's marketing.

"This is a very special case because Feroz Khan during his last visit to Pakistan, with the delegates from India for the launch of Taj Mahal in Pakistan had made certain statements that were not very welcome," said Satish Anand, CEO, Eveready Pictures.

"Since then he is persona non grata as far as Pakistan is concerned. I think it is up to the distributors, they were well aware of the situation vis-a-vis Mr Khan and if they still wanted to go ahead with the release of the film it's purely their own decision. The viewer who has seen it on cable, which most of them have over here, would find it very disappointing to see a film that is not in its complete form. It definitely does not make very good and healthy cinema going," he further said.

Welcome with or without Feroze Khan, Pakistani filmgoers are delighted at the prospect of watching the latest Bollywood movies on the big screen.

"I think it's a very good concept. People should actually release more Indian movies over here because people over here are eager to watch Indian movies," said Fatima Munir, a cinegoer.

"I think it's enjoyable to watch on cinema rather than on dvds and it's good for the cinema here that people are returning to movie halls to watch Indian movies. I would like to see Jodhaa Akhbar on big screen here," said Alizeh Ahmed, another Cinegoer.

Whether Jodhaa Akbar makes its way to theatres in Pakistan or not, after Welcome, audiences in Pakistan are certainly looking forward to the release of Ajay Devgan's Sunday and Amir Khan's award winning Tare Zameen Par.

Both the films are expected to hit cinemas in coming weeks.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sadia_lahori thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

i dont think its a good idea to promote thier industry here i mean we r diffrent people with diffrent culturs in thier songs and in the whole movie the cloths of women r just so shourt n heloww this a muslim country we canot promot all this rubish n personlly i would never sepnt mony to watch this garbig i hate musharaf its happening in his goverment i dont understand y the hell they r promoting thier industry ASK UR SELF AS A PAKISTANI AS A MUSLIM r culture doesnt permitte all this allready thier stupid daramas have influance the young geration N NO OFFENCE TO ANY ONE

Edited by sadia_lahori - 16 years ago