‘No negative roles for me, please’

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 16 years ago

While studying for her final year engineering Aastha Chaudhary realised she was not cut out for a 9 am to 5 pm job as a computer engineer. "I wanted to do something creative. Acting was just the right profession I wanted to be in because it is a creatively satisfying field where new things happen every day," says the goodlooking girl who hails from Alwar, a small town in Rajasthan. But getting her parents' consent to pursue acting was not an easy task for Aastha. "It took me six months to convince them. Since I had already finished my engineering studies they didn't want me to take up acting. But they finally agreed," she informs.

Films are not part of her plans though. "I don't think my parents would ever allow me to do films," she reveals.

In fact, Aastha says she came to Mumbai to act only in serials and is quite happy doing television. Like all newcomers, she had to tread the same beaten path of visiting production companies and giving auditions after she came to Mumbai nine months ago. "Getting a break was difficult. I guess no newcomer escapes the struggle phase. It could be short or long but it is there for everyone. It is why I never felt disappointed," she reasons.

Raakhi was her first show. "I did a parallel lead in the daily for about four months but quit it when I was called to play Aastha in Babul Ka Aangan Chootey Na. The moment I heard the concept and story I said yes. There was no way I could have said no to the show because the character is more like me. She is simple, responsible, caring and attached to her family. Even the character's name is same as mine," she adds. Babul is the story of Aastha who is caught between balancing her responsibilities towards her husband's family and her duties towards her own family. "The conflict is real, relevant and faced by most young women of today," she feels.

Like her real character, the reel life Aastha is also a career-oriented, confident and yet grounded lady. "In fact, my character represents today's woman. She is ambitious and a dutiful daughter and embodies the aspirations and values of today's young working women. I completely identify with the character," says Aastha who lives in Mumbai all by herself.

She also has no problems living away from her family. "I am used to living alone since my college days as my parents live in Alwar and I studied for my engineering degree in Jaipur," says Aastha who would like to play positive characters. She explains, "I can't do negative and vampish roles. If I don't get positive roles then I would prefer doing a comic character. I wouldn't mind a little shade of grey but no negative roles for me, please."

www.deccan.com

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

animateash thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
oooommmg thnx for dis articlee ...it rox.....yeahh aastha completed her engineer though dikhti nahi aisi hehhehehehehe 😆 😆 😆 but she rox at television 😳 😳

luv ash
::Prem$_Priya:: thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
THANKS FOR THE ARTICLE!! 😃