Pak’s Musharraf imposes emergency rule!

Ms. Bholi Bhali thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 16 years ago

ISLAMABAD, Nov 3: President General Pervez Musharraf, in his capacity as the chief of army staff, on Saturday declared emergency rule in the country, suspended the country's constitution, and issued a new Provisional Constitutional Order (PCO).Text of emergency proclamation

The official announcement on the state-run Pakistan Television (PTV) came within minutes of a high-level meeting at the President House (Aiwan-i-Sadr) which was chaired by the President and attended by Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz, senior security and intelligence officials.

Shortly before the official announcement all the private and independent news channels in the country were pulled off the cable network, leading to intense speculations of a possible emergency rule or martial law.

This is the second time in General Musharraf's tenure that an emergency rule has been imposed, and PCO issued. First it was at the time when the military seized power on October 12, 1999. This time it was when President Musharraf had already ruled the country for eight long years, and was faced with a situation where there was a strong possibility that the Supreme Court may rule against his move to get himself elected for the second time as the head of the state.

According to some details of the new PCO made available to the media, the National Assembly, Senate, provincial assemblies, the prime minister, provincial chief ministers, federal and provincial ministers, governors and all those in the "government services" will continue to function normally.

However, it was not clear how this will be possible, or be legitimate, with President Musharraf resorting to the extra-constitutional action of suspending the constitution and issuing his own provisional constitutional order or PCO.

Soon after the proclamation of emergency by Gen Musharraf, an eight-member bench of the Supreme Court, headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry, reportedly set aside the decision. Setting aside General Musharraf's proclamation of emergency, the panel asked all members of the superior judiciary against taking oath under the new PCO.

The Supreme Court, in its order, termed Gen Musharraf's action "illegal and unconstitutional" and asked the corps commanders and all civil and military officials not to take oath under the PCO. Till filing of this report, the judges of the SC were still inside the court building.

However, under the circumstances chances of a major rebellion on part of the superior judiciary appeared highly unlikely. In any case, legal experts said, the government must have contemplated such a resistance, and as has been the past practice during military rule, some of the judges will not be invited to take oath, some will refuse, and a few will accept the new order to provide legitimacy to the this kind of emergency rule. In a latest development Justice Abdul Hamid Dogar was sworn in as a Chief Justice of Pakistan by the President.

There were also reports that some of the lawyers, including the president of the Supreme Court Bar Association, Chaudhry Aitzaz Ahsan, have been taken into custody. Mr. Ahsan's wife told reporters that her husband was arrested soon after the imposition of emergency.

Although news of a possible emergency rule had been doing rounds for the past several days, on Saturday it became quite evident when a large contingent of paramilitary troops started to arrive in Islamabad, and cable operators were asked to pull the plug on all independent news channels, including DawnNews, Geo, ARY and Aaj TV.

Land telephone lines and mobile phones are also partially down in Islamabad and communication has become almost impossible in many parts of the capital. TV channels and newspapers had been reporting for the past few days that the government had made up its mind to declare emergency rule. (First Posted @ 20:24 PST Updated @ 21:06 PST)

State of emergency declared ISLAMABAD, Nov 3, (AFP/AP) - President Gen Pervez Musharraf declared a state of emergency in Pakistan on Saturday ahead of a crucial Supreme Court decision on whether to overturn his recent election win and amid rising militant violence. ''The chief of army staff has proclaimed a state of emergency and issued a provisional constitutional order,'' a newscaster on the state-run TV channel said. Dozens of police blocked the road in front of the Supreme Court building in Islamabad where judges were believed to be inside. The state TV report gave no reason for the emergency but it follows weeks of speculation that he could take the step. During previous emergencies in Pakistan, a provisional constitutional order has led to the suspension of some basic rights of citizens and for judges to take a fresh oath of office. ''This is the most condemnable act,'' said Ahsan Iqbal, a spokesman for the opposition PML-N party of former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif who Musharraf barred from returning to exile to Pakistan in September to mount a campaign against military rule.''The whole nation will resist this extra-constitutional measure,'' he said. The government blocked transmissions of private news channels in the capital and other cities. Shahzad Iqbal, an official at a cable TV news provider in Islamabad said authorities were blocking transmissions of private news channels in Islamabad and Rawalpindi. State TV was still on the air. ''The government has done it,'' he said. Residents of Karachi said their cable TV was also off the air.Paramilitary troops and police surrounded the Supreme Court in Islamabad, an AFP reporter said. Two trucks full of armed paramilitary soldiers from the Rangers force, who are under the control of the Interior Ministry, and several dozen policemen cordoned off the building. (First Posted @ 18:26 PST Updated @ 18:54 PST)

http://www.dawn.com/2007/11/03/welcome.htm

😭 Allah Please Keep My Home In Your Special Protection!!!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

294531 thumbnail

ohh Allah bless pakistan 😭

why would he do that😭😭

Edited by pakianjel - 16 years ago
TrustYourSelf thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
OMg..really?? 😕 😕

Tfs
*4rom heaven* thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
😭 why is it all happenin in pakistan...omg plz bless pakistan... 😭
kabhi_21 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Just came to know about it..... may be it was necessary seeing so many attacks in last few days.... however it can be politically motivated too.....

Hope everything returns to normal 😊
ammmu thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Just heard about this news right now... Praying for all my friends in Pakistan, hope everyone is oky 🤗

Inshallah everything will be back to normal...
Daisy!! thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
OMGG There's alwaiz SUMTHING going on in pakistan
even now paksitan is known as a country full of corruption..

pakistan is my homeland..n i cant bear all those deceit and misrepresentationz goin on in pakistan 😕
Oh GOd plz bless pakistannn 😭
OnlyHope thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
I just found out through relatives in Pakistan....may Allah protect everyone there...Ameen!!! 😭
~LiL*PrInCeZ~ thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Yea, I found out this moring via GEO News and thats all we've been watching since then.

Right now, musharraf is giving a speech justifying himself and what not.

I can see how all the stuff going on in pakistan nowadays would lead to something like this. but, its still too harsh a decision. Anyways, I hope for the better.

All I can say is oh Allah, please protect and bless my country and my people. They really need you now and always.

on a personal note, if things arent cleared up in a few months, my parents wont let me to go to khi during spring break 😭
sweet_hs thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Just spoke to my parents in pakistan every thing is fine there except democracy and judiciary.
right now musharaff is addressing the nation on PTV