Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

--Pinky-- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 15 years ago
Telly stars say vote now As the elections draw near, our telly actors tell us why it is every citizen's responsibility to vote in order to make our country a better place.

Telly Stars Say vote Now

--Pinky-- thumbnail
Sapna Babul Ka Bidaai (Star Plus, Friday at 9pm) will shock viewers in the coming week with lead character Sadhna being shot, leaving audiences wondering whether she'll survive her attack.

A source from the show says, "We have already shot for the sequence where it shows Sadhna supposedly shot dead. In the sequence, she goes out of her house and someone shoots her. The whole family is worried about her."

Though, predictable, the lead character will not be killed off. "Soon, the audience will come to know that Sadhna is not dead; she is struggling for her life in hospital," says the source.

Interestingly, it will be revealed that the person behind this heinous crime is one of Sadhna's own family members. However, there will be a lot of time spent in confusion before becomes apparent.

This is how it is all going to unfold: "Sadhna will try to find out what happened on the Diwali night when Alekh lost his mind as a child. But Alekh's mother Vasundhara was not happy with Sadhna trying to solve the mystery. So Vasundhara will be first suspected to have tried to kill Sadhna. As for the rest of the track, it is still being worked upon," says the source.

The track started when Shlok started helping Alekh recover from his mental illness. Alekh responded well and they came to know that the root cause of his illness took place on a Diwali night. Since then, Sadhna has been trying to find out what happened that night.
niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

:) :) :) :) :)

Their Bond Voyage - Article

Edited by --Pinky-- - 15 years ago
niveditha thumbnail

'I simply cannot compete with my better half' - Ali Merchant

Ali Merchant talks about his new show Saat Phere,competition with Sara and much more

I simply can't compete with my better half-Ali

v.flora thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Ba, Bahu & now the Beti

5 May 2009, 0000 hrs IST, NIKHILA PANT , TNN
Print Email Discuss Share Save Comment Text:
Change is here, in Indian television that is. With the regressive soap, or is that sob, operas of the suffering bahu, scheming saas and the vicious
The bas and bahus are history now, as the betis come under the spotlight in Indian television
sister-in-law giving way to the khatti- mithi tales of daughters, there's a definite shift in audience tastes, and it's showing in channels' TRPs.

As the sheen peels off the Virani mansion and our living rooms move to the outskirts of Haryana or Rajasthan, TOI deciphers the matrix of the paradigm shift in Indian TV content today.

Out goes the bahu
Tales of women dressed in crystal-studded sarees and noodle straps plotting against each other were lapped up by the masses when the saas-bahu serials made their way into our living rooms for the first time. But, as multiple cosmetic surgeries, innumerable marriages and generation leaps became the order of the day, the stories lost their touch. "Almost every channel had at least one such show. So, we had to replace the bahu with the beti. These shows had generated so much negativity, that shows addressing social issues and talking about the girl child instantly clicked with the viewers," says Virendra Shahaney, screenplay writer for shows like Uttaran, Bidaai and Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo.

Shailja Kejriwal, executive vice president, content, NDTV Imagine, concurs, "Till last year, viewers had had their fill of the saas-bahu saga. People grew tired of watching protagonists across channels doing the same thing. Cotton-saree clad women were transported to this world of chiffon sarees, but now they are back to the world that they can relate to."

Girl power
Beti jaisi bahu aur maa jaisi saas ' all wanted but none got, and in the process, the viewers got bored. So everybody found solace in the daughter. Watching Ramlaal pray for a granddaughter (in Mere Ghar Aayi Ek Nanhi Pari) or Kuku Narang yearn for a daughter (in Sabki Laadli Bebo), the viewers suddenly turned into proud parents of daughters. "It may not have been a conscious attempt, but these shows did turn the attention of the audience towards their daughters. The shows send out the message that daughters are no more a liability for the family," says Kanwaljeet, who plays Kuku Narang.

Championing the cause of the girl child, Kejriwal says, "Daughters are no longer the silent sufferers and pitiable characters that they used to be. They are go-getters and they can stand up for what they believe in. Students and working women could relate to Radhaa Ki Betiyaan..."

Identity crisis?

Ever wondered how the story of a family living in the interiors of Haryana, Bihar or Rajasthan clicks with viewers sitting in the suburbs of metropolitan cities? Shahaney offers an explanation. "There are three ways of identifying with a character or serial ' identification, aspiration and distinction. Viewers could identify with the characters of Malgudi Days, Hum Log and Buniyaad. Then came the saga of business class families, which rekindled the aspirations of urban middle class viewers. Today, when somebody watches a Balika Vadhu or an Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo, they're able to distinguish their position from that of the protagonist, but are inquisitive about what happens in such remote areas," he says.

Saurabh Tewari, creative director, Colors, credits the success of these serials to curiosity. "If it's not your story, then it's your neighbours'. Everyone is curious to know what's happening outside their homes and offices and that's what establishes that connect between a metro viewer and a mother in a Haryana village who wails when her newborn daughter is killed. These shows have become the window to the world. So a show set in rural Rajasthan generates as much curiosity as one set in an American suburb."

What's the formula?
Social issues, did we hear you say? "There's no formula now, it's a narrative, a story told from the heart, with real characters and real emotions," says Purnendu Shekhar, scriptwriter of shows like Balika Vadhu, Jyoti and Saat Phere. "A girl's fight against the discrimination that she faces because of her dark skin becomes a talking point in the age of fairness creams. A story isn't good unless it conveys a message. Everyone in India knows about child marriages, so, if the story is presented in an engaging manner, it'll surely strike a chord," he adds.
"We are great copycats," confesses actor Kanwaljeet. "While no channel is trying to be preachy, these shows are clicking right now. Many don't innovate and just blindly copy, but those with the courage and creativity to do something new, are certainly the winners."

Powerpuff Girls
Mere Ghar Aayi Ek

Nanhi Kali: A family that prays that the daughter-in-law is blessed with a daughter

Na Aana Is Des Laado: About female infanticide

Sabki Laadli Bebo: About a father who yearns for a daughter

Jyoti: About Jyoti, eldest daughter and the only breadwinner of a family

Radhaa Ki Betiyaan Kuchh Kar Dikhayengi: About Radha and her daughters who shift to Mumbai and how they take on the world

Agle Janam Mohe Bitiya Hi Kijo: About poor families selling their daughters off

Hum Ladkiyaan, Saat Phere, Bidaai: About the plight of dark-skinned daughters
niveditha thumbnail

Angad to unveil his love soon..

Well known Bidaai actor is no longer single, and will soon reveal his non industry girl to the world and the media.

TB - Angad to unveil his love soon

niveditha thumbnail
Onscreen pyaar, off-screen inkaar
Vandana Shukla/ Hill Road Media

While it's quite common to hear mushy stories of onscreen couples pairing up in real life too, details of certain small screen lovebirds who can't stand to be near each other when the cameras stop rolling are lesser known. We give you the lowdown on the TV twosomes who may share great chemistry on their shows but are anything but lovers in reality.
Showing 2 of 4 images Previous Next

Seema Kapoor (Vasundhara) and Avinash Wadhwa (Vashu)
A few months ago, it was reported that Seema Kapoor and Avinash Wadhwa, who play onscreen wife and husband (Vasundhara and Vashu Rajvansh) on Bidaai (Star Plus), were too formal on the sets. The reason they never got close was because of their ego problems. This led to the two only talking when it was absolutely necessary. But since, the issue has been resolved and they have made up. Don't get us wrong: they're certainly not friends, but they're no longer foes either.
https://www.indya.com/gallery/gallery.aspx?aid=154

Onscreen pyaar, off-screen inkaar - Article

niveditha thumbnail
Can Parul's popularity save her?

Jhalak Dikhlaa Jaa 3 contestant Parul Chauhan is in deep trouble. After being amongst the bottom two contestants twice in a row so far, the actress also receives the lowest marks on the upcoming episode that will air this Friday. This makes her the candidate most likely to be eliminated on Saturday. But can her popularity save her?

Parul, who is a household name because of her role as Ragini on Sapna Babul Ka Bidaai, has always claimed that her popularity with audiences would be a boon to her in the competition. But with the contestants down to just five, and her performances not being up to the mark, it looks probable that the she'll have to bid goodbye to the dance show.
In fact, the actress has had what could be termed as a lucky run so far, with no spectacular performances till date. Parul's first performance with her choreographer Deepak was on the hit track Desi Girl from Dostana and though she had the sexy look down perfectly, she had a lot to learn dance wise. Luckily, her acting skills came into play and she was praised for her expressions. Parul managed to score 20 marks; a good start.

Her next routine was a little more dramatic'and she wasn't acting either! While performing to the folk number Choli Ke Peeche Kya, Parul was so worried and tired that she fainted. The performance was cut short though she was judged for whatever she did and scored 22 marks. In addition to this, she garnered a whole lot of sympathy from the audience and enough votes to move on to the next round.
After the fainting incident, which made news everywhere and gave the actress even more publicity, Parul did the samba. This time, she wore a skimpy, sexy little outfit; something she claimed she would have never dreamed of wearing before. The song she performed to was Ishq Kabhi Kariyo Na. From bahu to bombshell, her look was appreciated by the judges and audiences too liked Parul's sexy avatar. She was safe yet again in the elimination round, even though her performance failed to impress and she stagnated at 22 marks.

But Parul's luck ran out when she performed next on the romantic number Baa Khuda Tumihi Ho. The concept behind the routine, based on the first night of a newly married couple, was unique but Parul fumbled with her prop, an elastic band. She tried to cover up but the judges noticed and gave her just 19 marks. This was the first time that the actress was in the danger zone; though she was saved by the judges' marks.

Last week, Parul managed to impress with a new form of dance: Bachata. She and her choreographer danced to Aayi Ye Mehrban and scored 28 marks. However, she landed in the danger zone for the second time and was saved from elimination by the judges, who eliminated Shilpa Shukla instead.

In the upcoming week's circus themed show, everyone performed on songs related to the circus and even wore clown costumes. But Parul didn't manage a good score and there are high chances that this will see her in the face off round for third time consecutively.

Though Parul is an audience favourite, it seems that it is becoming difficult for viewers to choose her over the other four contestants - Karan Singh Grover, Hard Kaur and Baichung Bhutia - who are performing better. Now, her fate on the show completely depends upon her popularity and whether it will translate into votes from the public.

https://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/May/News_20090506_30

Can Parul's popularity save her? - Article

--Pinky-- thumbnail
A unique and interesting tale of four ladies is what Sony's upcoming show Ladies Special is all about which will see faces like Neena Gupta, Shilpa Tulaskar and Ashita Dhawan...

here the link:
--Pinky-- thumbnail

"Playing Alekh Is Very Challenging" - Angad

Many actors make their stand based of their looks but there are very few actors who are popular just because of their acting skills. One amongst them is a television actor who in his first break captured the attention of audience with his brilliant performance in Bidaai. Angad Hasija, the actor par excellence speaks exclusively to Masala Blitz regarding his work in Bidaai and more on his future plans.

How do you manage to pull off such brilliant acting?

Alekh's character is very challenging to play on screen. When I joined Bidaai, I had searched on net to find more about who people like Alekh behave. For example, what are their reactions, how they eat, how they sit. Basically, I studied the character very closely which helped me to portray this role. I was wondering if everyone would like me, but I have been getting appreciation from across the world. I used to do modeling before and this was my first break. I feel lucky to get a break from this big production house. I am so happy to be part of this team. To put it short, "Bidaai completes my world."

Have you taken any special training for this character?

I have never undergone any training. I got this role because of sheer luck. When I had gone for Audition, Rajan sir rejected me saying this character is too simple and I may not fit for it. But my friend worked upon me and changed my looks for next round of audition after which I got my approval. I still remember that my selection was done in the evening and by night I was shooting. As such for acting, I had taken little training and as I am a Punjabi, I was more focusing on fight sequences.

Can you tell more on the future track of Bidaai? When will Alekh be cured?

Well, there is a big story behind this red rose but I won't reveal about it right now (Laughts). It will take time for the viewers to know about this track. Everyone asks me when Alekh will get cured and even I keep asking the creatives. But I don't see that happening in near future. It may take one more year.

What are your future plans?

Right now, my full concentration is on Bidaai. I got many offers from bollywood, but I feel I have so much to do in Bidaai which is more challenging than any role and I enjoy playing Alekh. I have been given the permission to do commercials and modeling. So, you can see me in Ads.

Who is your favorite Co-Star?

I maintain good rapport with Seema Kapoor and Natasha Rana. With Kinshuk, it's more of a brotherly relationship. Off screen too we are just like the one on-screen. We make sure to catch up with each other everyday. Regarding Sara, we have so much fun together. Whenever either of us is busy, we ask the other to do our work. It's a very sweet friendship we maintain!!!

What is your fitness mantra?

I am very much disciplined when it comes to work outs and diets. I do workouts daily. Infact, whenever I find time, I go to gym as I love spending time there to keep myself fit. For my diet, I usually take half of the kitchen along with me as I prefer eating the diet I am prescribed.

What are your other hobbies?

I love music and painting. I keep scribbling something on paper. Many of the small drawings that you see in the show are done by me. I would say painting is the common factor between Alekh and Angad (Laughs).

How do your fans react when they see you normal off-screen?

I rarely go out, but when people recognize me, people keep telling me that I am so normal and that I have good body. Sometimes its so weird listening to such comments but I do feel good receiving good appreciation from my fans.

Message for your fans:

I just want everyone to keep appreciating me the way they are doing now. Whatever I do, I would give my 100% and we all work very hard. So, please keep watching the show and give us love.

Reporter and Author - AR Raghav

https://www.masalablitz.com/?p=1373

Angad close up and personal!