Arijit and Rooprekha

Shama thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago

Fame Fortune & An Album

Shinibali Mitra Saigal

14 year old Amrita Singh travelled all the way from Murshidabad to meet her brother Arijit Singh — one of the contestants of Fame Gurukul, the reality television show on Sony Television— at the Sony Office in Kolkata.

She is meeting her brother after a month-and-a-half and will be speaking to him after 15 days. "Ever since Arijit got chosen for Fame Gurukul we've hardly got a chance to interact. We watch him on television and keep praying. The training is rigorous and there's little contact with the family," she says.

It's a price both Amrita and her brother Arijit Singh are willing to pay for the stakes are high.

Arijit (18) is in town with fellow contestant Ruprekha Banerjee (21), the two finalists in the top 14 from Kolkata and they are passing through the city to promote their eight-song album Aasman Ke Par, recorded for Sony BMG. The album will be available at stores from July 25 and features renditions of the contestants personal favourite songs. Produced by composer Miko, viewers can also expect to see a music video which has been shot at Madh Island, Mumbai and based on the song Aasman Ke Paar, originally composed by Shankar Ehsaan and Loy.

Arijit, 18, is excited beyond imagination. "It's a great platform. I never imagined that we'd cut an album this soon, it's a superb experience." Ruprekha who would like to make a career in playback singing is also quite thrilled, "Six months back if somebody had asked us that we'd be doing this I would not have thought it possible but life has completely changed and I'm enjoying every bit of it."

For Arijit and Ruprekha, both small town natives from West Bengal, Fame Gurukul has been a roller coaster ride. The selection process, which was initially mired in controversy thanks to a messed-up selection process, saw them being short-listed and then making it to the final 14.

Now almost two months later, the two have undergone a complete makeover and are hardly recognizable in their designer togs and haircuts. "My brother has grown taller and has a fancy haircut. He looks very handsome," says young Amrita with a giggle.

While Arijit began his classical tutelage under Rajinder Prasad Hazari, Ruprekha started training when she was in Class 2.

"Fame Gurukul is a platform for our talent and while the entire process is very transparent and scientific, it is important to keep our nerves in check and perform well on performance day. Else there is the danger of losing the chance of a lifetime," says Arijit.

The 14 contestants live, eat, breathe and compete together, yet there is tremendous camaraderie and love that has been built among them. " Every time a contestant is eliminated, the rest of us weep even though we have a hand in the elimination process and vote out a contestant," the girl says.

The 14 have built such a rapport that Ruprekha feels even after the show ends they'll not only keep in touch but also try and live together and consult each other on career decisions. "I know it's a little utopic, but we really are very close friends," she says.

While the entire experience is undoubtedly gung-ho, both the Kolkata contestants reveal that they miss home dreadfully. "When we are at work it doesn't hit us so badly. But after we end the show, it's miserable because we can't even speak to our families. " says Arijit. Ruprekha goes a step further and says that the discipline is a tough act to follow. "At home we are casually dressed and generally being ourselves but here we not only have to put our best foot forward by also be properly turned out every moment. No sloppy clothes and chappals and looking like something the cat dragged in."

As D-day dawns nearer, the two have got the natural heebie jeebies, however both feel they stand a good chance to make it to the final. "I'm petrified my voice will ditch me," says Arijit.

Fame Gurukul is Sony's second reality show. Earlier in the year the channel had given the nation the current heartthrob Abhijit Sawant.

While Indian Idol was a bi-weekly, Fame Gurukul which has been inspired by the Spanish reality show Operacio Triunfo, runs five days a week between Monday to Friday.14 talented singers who have found a place in a coveted musical school will battle it for the two final slots titled the Fame Jodi. Here's wishing the two representatives from Bengal the very best.

Edited by Shama - 19 years ago