Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

S a r a h thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago
this is very responsible feeling to feel that he still is irresponsible to start a family πŸ˜• πŸ˜†
S a r a h thumbnail

Originally posted by: kim182

And Sarah...would the horse be white or black?

kim no horse can diminish the charm of our rockstar white or black male or female - the important fact is the person riding on that horse😳 isnt it?!😳

S a r a h thumbnail
gals where are you all? first time I found this fc on 3rd page
S a r a h thumbnail

Vishal Dadlani sings 'Dhoom'

By Joginder Tuteja, October 11, 2006 - 09:49 IST

Now this one is the mother of all scoops; at least from the musical front!

Music of 'Dhoom 2' is slated to arrive on the stands on October 19th and it is not just Bipasha Basu who has rendered her vocals for a song [My Name Is Ali]. There is much more 'dhoom' and 'dhamaka' in the store as it is none other than Vishal Dadlani [of Vishal Shekhar] duo, who has been roped on to croon the title song of the film that has been titled 'Dhoom Again' and written by Asif Ali Baig.

Vishal singing for Pritam? Yes, you read it right! Over the man who himself to know more about the song!

"Yes, I am have sung the song but how did you get to know about it?", he exclaims with genuine surprise! Well, there are ways to find such information out, especially in the age of internet. "Great! Well yes, but me singing is hardly a scoop, isn't it? After all I have just gone ahead and sung a song for the film. It's not even on the air, I don't know how it will be used in the film and I have absolutely no idea if it is a song in the film or a promotional video or something for a background score", he says rather modestly.

But then a composer singing for another does sound rather surprising (though on a pleasant note). After all Vishal-Shekhar, Pritam et al are rivals when it comes to their profession as everyone is doing rather well for themselves in the Bollywood music scene. "Hey, but we all are pretty chilled with each other", he is quick to react, "Agreed that we all had heard a lot of horror stories about cut throat competition and people being indifferent to each other in the industry but thankfully none of us have really experienced anything wrong so far. Honestly speaking, whenever we all have met, whether it is Pritam or Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy or any of the other contemporary composer, there hasn't been an awkward moment. We hang out, have fun!"

Great, so coming back to the song. Now how did it actually happen? "It was as simple as that. Adi [Aditya Chopra] called me up and said would you like to sing for this track composed by Pritam. And I was like - wow, why not? See, I may not be a playback singer in conventional terms but I am a part of Pentagram band and have been performing for quite a while. The basic fact is that I enjoy singing and hence have no qualms if someone ropes me in for a particular number. Coming to 'Dhoom Again', believe me I had a lot of fun while doing it. We all know that the song is legendary and one has to give his best for singing a track like this. This time around it is in English. Now it has to be seen how has it been used in the film!", he gives out the details.

So, is there anything else happening in his 'singing' career? "Well, since you have asked it I would tell you that I am also singing in 'Jhoom Baraabar Jhoom' that has music by Shankar Ehsaan Loy", he divulges. Hmm, so yet another song for another composer(s). "But then Shankar is a friend and when he asks me for a song I love to do it. By the way, I am also singing for myself (and Shekhar) for 'Tara Rum Pum'. So there you go!"

Interesting. Now one of the burning questions is the real story behind Vishal Shekhar bagging Farah Khan's 'Om Shanti Om'. Is there anything further detail apart from what one has read (and seen) already in all media channels [i.e. Rehman being the original composer for OSO and Vishal-Shekhar being roped in at the last moment]? "I will tell you what exactly happened", he bags your attention, "Farah Khan approached us and asked if we would be doing her film. In fact let me correct it. She just said that you guys are doing my film!"

Ok, and what happened next? "The obvious question that we had was - Are you serious", Vishal says animatedly, "I mean it was a huge project, Any composer would have loved to have this project in his kitty. Also, we didn't know when do we start? So, it was quite a pleasant surprise." So, how has the progress been? "Till about 2 days back we had 4 songs ready. Just yesterday we have also readied the fifth song after a go-ahead from Farah. For the rest we are currently working on. There are plans for 9-12 songs. Actually it may even get pruned down to 7 songs depending upon the film's duration that Farah closes on."

And would he care to tell a little about the feel of the songs, considering 'Om Shanti Om' is based on reincarnation theme? "Hmm, well I can't divulge that right now since we are not supposed to do that now", he chuckles, "but what I can tell about the music is that it is quite script-based and would find a place in the narrative depending upon the situation. Ha ha...beyond that let's talk about it in a few months from now when the film would have made a further headway"!

Before wrapping up the call, one can't help but ask a question that looms large over everyone's head - Don't the composer duo feel a bit awkward considering the music was supposed to be given by none other than A.R. Rehman? "Frankly speaking, it's more awkward for us to even think about this", he says in a low tone, "We have utmost respect for Rehman. Now come on, he is up there! And seriously we are the biggest fans of Rehman. Hence we felt inappropriate to get into details of what exactly transpired that lead to us coming in etc. etc. We just didn't ask anything and moreover the project is so thrilling that we just started working on it right away!"

S a r a h thumbnail

Vishal Bad?lani

I-Rock XXI: Day 1. Some thought the mike stand would fly at the crowds again. It fell to the floor with a dull thud, instead. The bad man of Mumbai's rock scene, Vishal dadlani, apologised to the crowds for what had happened in Mosh Mania, the previous year. The crowd, though, continued to boo him. By the time Pentagram's act ended, the gaali-galauj had, more or less, subdued. R. Krishna met Vishal to find out what happened that night.

Vishal Dadlani apologising? And I thought I had seen everything...
I have been looking for an appropriate forum. See, as a performer, I was probably responsible for letting the crowd get to a point where that happened. My apology is heartfelt in the sense that I really feel that it didn't do the (rock) Scene any good. It's all of our responsibility. I have no problem backing down. It's not an ego thing for me. I have no problem saying "I'm sorry". I really am. I didn't want to hurt that guy at all. Josh is a friend of the band, and has been for a long time. Very stupid thing for me to do. I didn't know what I was doing. Pure mistake.

I hope they'll (the rockers) understand that I was not thinking straight because of the fact that we were for all pratical purposes attacked. And for what it's worth, let's face it, we are all rock n rollers because we are aggressive people. I have never been known to sit down and take a punch. But again the fact that someone got hurt is truly regrettable.

So did you plan the apology in advance?
See, I apologized at Velocity as well. As long as I feel that people are pissed about it I would apologize. As much as those hecklers pushed me to it, I shouldn't have gone over the edge. I know that and I believe that. You don't understand how much I love this whole thing. First of all, being in Pentagram defines me as a human being. It's who I am. Secondly, being on that stage talking to those people and rocking it out with those people has been something I have done now for thirteen years. And I have dreams about it. I want to be there, I want to do that. It's not a hobby for me. Sure, I do a lot of stuff musically as well. But the fact of the matter is my being part of Pentagram, my being part of Bombay's stages, playing my music to those guys - that defines who I am to me. It's very important. So maybe that's why I took it so personally. I still take it personally. All of them man... all of them - the screamers, the shouters, the jumpers, the throwers, the... whatever they want to call themselves, whatever music they like, wherever they come from... the people who are in the front row really matter to me. And always have. It's very easy for me. I can call up the organiser and ask him to put the barricade 40 feets away from the stage. But I've always been the guy who takes the barricade down and has the crowd right up there, because without them, there is no show.

So this sort of thing doesn't happen elsewhere?
Strangely, it's not there anywhere. But, here's the thing. The public in Bombay - and it's a bautiful thing don't get me wrong - come to see Pentagram. People come to see other bands - say Pin Drop Violence or Zero. They are dedicated and rabid followers of that band. Sadly, in their head, that makes everything else 'not cool'. So, may be, they should also tone down a bit. But that's their call. I am happy to see they are into it (rock) that much. At the end of the day, whether you like me or hate me you come to the show, right? A lil aggressive energy... I have no issue with that. Come on, let's face facts... we are not god's sweet children. I mean normal people don't form a moshpit (laughs). It's cool with me. I have got no issue with that.

Was the constant abusing at I-Rock demoralising?
Actually, this is the first time it's happened to us. See, Pentagram has always been one of the most popular band. This time there was a price I had to pay. I knew it was coming. So, it was not demoralising... I was expecting it. Had it not happened, I would have been very pleasantly surprised. That it did, was expected. Like I said, you gotta pay your dues. I assume this was it. I hope, again, that everyone involved will forgive us... or me specifically. And that we can move on, 'cos our new album is coming out soon and it's f**king fantastic even if I am saying so myself. It's serious. I just hope everyone will listen to it and judge it on that basis.

All the abusing on the stage. Is it really you, or part of some on-stage persona?
The guy I am on stage is not the guy I am off stage. But that's for any artist. Any band will tell you. I don't know what it is. But yeah there's always been a lively energy around (and) it's always been good. There's always been a lot of love as well. We have a lot of fun, you know. Look, the words Bhench*d or madarch*d or m*therf**ker.. they are not used as cuss words realistically. You know how it is. It's like a rythymic chant. You go on a football field the chants are not pleasant to the players' mothers or sisters. You know what I'm saying. That's how it is. But it's all part of the support, so to speak. So I have no problem with it. Maybe the fact is it has become a thing of its own. All bands encourage it. Everyone plays a lil rythm to it. I find it a lil silly in the sense that you are here for the music. Enjoy the music. Why scream abusive stuff at your own band. But however you want to show your appreciation, it's all good. I live for that. Quite frankly man, being in front of 3000-4000 people on stage with Pentagram doing what we do, that's everything for me.

Pentagram has been criticised a lot for the shift in the kind of music you play, more specifically to electronica...
Man, let me tell you this. At the end of the day, it's your job as a performer to pick the crowd up. It's your job to take them to the level they want to go. As a peformer you have to carry the crowd. Everytime it doesn't happen the performer fails, not the crowd. The crowd always rocks. Crowd is fantastic. People are people across the world. And either it's a good gig or not a good gig. At the end of the day you got to square your shoulders and take the hit. There's no such thing called a bad crowd.

So, what have you learnt in Bollywood?
I have learnt a lot more about studio technique. I have learnt about recording. I have learnt a lot more about different genres of music a lot. And I have also brought a lot from the rock scene to the music I am making in Hindi music. So it's a nice little trade that happens.

What sort of relationship does Rock and Bollywood have? Is it an uneasy marriage?
I don't know. For me they are two different things. I do this because I can. I do that because I can. There is not too much of an overlap. If you hear Pentagram's music and Vishal & Shekhar's music, there's not much of an overlap. The only real overlap is that I'm involved in both. Everything I don't get to do here - like I love hip-hop - I get to do that in the film music I do. For me, music is a very diverse. I like to do many things at one time. I get to do a lot of genres of music (in Bollywood).

What about the producers?
Ya. Luckily we have been successful with doing what we want to do.

Has your music changed due to Bollywood?
No. Have you noticed anything? I will tell you one thing. Anyone who tells you they have not heard Hindi music while growing are being slightly hypocritical. Fact of the matter is that you live in Bombay. The Hindi film industry is based here. I saw all of Mr. Bachchan's films as a kid. I was a big fan. So I know that space. That music taught me a lot as well. Alongwith this I also heard all of Santana, Led Zeppllin, lot of disco music. Why would you want to deny any of these experiences? I am not saying I am the world's largest Abba fan but I have heard an Abba record or two.

People say that Pentagram are good musicians, but don't deserve to be in a Rock Show...
Cheers! Don't come.

No man, look at the end of the day we frighten you, good. No I am serious, 'cos we are not here to make you all warm and comfortable in a security blanket. That's not our job. As much as those guys freak me out, I'm freaking them out. If I wanted to be cosy I would sit here all day and do it. Do you have any idea how much I get paid for this. But the whole point of it is that edge is required. That's who we are. It's a symbiotic thing. I live off those guys, they live off whatever they derive from the show. For every person who says that, there are 100 people who say Pentagram is the maddest band we've ever seen. I gotta count on that support. And for the people who don't dig it and yet they come... cool, you are still in that front row. You are still giving me that energy I need.

S a r a h thumbnail

Vishal Dadlani's acting debut in Om Shanti Om

By IndiaFM News Bureau, February 9, 2007 - 12:01 IST

Vishal Dadlani of Vishal-Shekhar fame has composed music for big names in Bollywood like Salaam Namaste and Dus. And now, he will be seen making a cameo in a Farah Khan's directorial venture Om Shanti Om.

Vishal is the vocalist of one of Mumbai's hottest rock bands called Pentagram. He was also a VJ at Channel V for a brief period of time. The uber cool composer was doing the music of Om Shanti Om, when Farah walked up to him and offered him a part in her film. Says Vishal,'I was just working on the music for Farah's film Om Shanti Om. She came up to me and asked me to do this small part. I got into it because I happened to be available.' And so, Vishal did the part in the same clothes that he was wearing at the time! He obviously had no time to change into anything else. Did he do any sort of preparations for the part? 'I am not an actor', quips Vishal, 'So I was not at all ready for it. It was hardly a role; my part was only for 30 seconds.'

Om Shanti Om stars Farah's good friend Shah Rukh Khan and debutante Deepika Padukone in the lead. The film is slated for a late 2007 release.

Incidentally, his composer partner Shekhar Ravjiani had played a walkon part in the film Home Delivery.

S a r a h thumbnail

13.05.2007 - "Music of JBJ will be a huge success" - Vishal Dadlani

Their last musical release was TA RA RUM PUM. Now Vishal and

Their last musical release was TA RA RUM PUM. Now Vishal and Shekhar are cheering for the music of JHOOM BARABAR JHOOM which releases next week. Wait! Doesn't JHOOM BARABAR JHOOM have music by Shankar Ehsaan Loy? "That's right", says Vishal, "And so rocking is the soundtrack that I can't help but cheer for it." "Mark my words, the music will be a big time success", adds Vishal, "It is one crzay soundtrack and when you listen it you would realize why I am so excited about the album hitting the stands. It has a kind of music jo banaya nahi jaata, bas ban jaata hai." "Watch out for the title track picturised on Amitabh Bachchan, it is going to be a rage", he gives his vote. Incidentally Vishal has himself lend vocals to one of the songs in the album. Titled 'Kiss Of Love ', he has Vasundhara Das for company behind the mike.

S a r a h thumbnail

Pentagram-ania

Milkmaid chai and James Brown provided the perfect ambience for a tete-a-tete with India's biggest Rock act. Arjun '6-String-Bass' Ravi met Vishal (lead vox), Shiraz (drums), Papal (bass) and Randolph (guitars) of Pentagram, to discuss life, the universe and Indian Rock.

Shiraz's house, in a kopcha in Bandra, is not exactly what you'd expect the residence of the drummer of India's biggest Rock act to look like. It's hardly a penthouse apartment, but it occupies the terrace of a 3 storey building, and is covered in posters and photographs of cult films. Papal arrives first, casually about twenty minutes late, followed by Vishal and Randolph whose excuse was "the auto guy was too slow."

It's been two years since their last album Up, the biggest selling Indian Rock album of all time, and Vishal informs me that "kaam chalu hain" on the follow up, which should see a March 2005 release. "We've been writing a lot of songs. It's just a question of figuring out where those songs will go", he says.

In 2005, Pentagram will turn 11 years old. It hasn't been pretty flowers and double bass pedals all the way. Vishal confirms, "Even now, it's the same. We're well known and charge a lot of money, but the way things are structured in India... Bollywood is omnipresent, there's very scope for anyone to hear any other kind of music. Technically speaking, if we were in the States and we'd spent the same amount of time and effort over there, we'd all be rich. But the fact of the matter is that, and we've always said this, the place, the people, and the fact that we come from here, means a lot to us. So, whatever we wanna do, we wanna do from here." "We're trying to take the music to the people", adds Randolph.

So it hasn't been easy being around for so long, and Vishal's advice to new bands hoping to make an impression is, "Make sure you're good at what you do, and believe in it." Randolph's pearls of wisdom - "Don't worry about the money part, you can't make any... or at least, not the amount you desire. If you're a good musician, people will come and give you money to do what you want to do."

I bring up the topic of songwriting, as Vishal picks up a flute (which he has been using as a drumstick) and blows a very poor tune to the lyrics 'She ain't never comin' home, to me'. "When it comes to writing, we just have fun. We figure out what we want to say, and then we say it."

Pentagram's music has been genre-defying. What started out as an Alternative outfit now features a lot of Techno and Funk influences, something that took people aback when Up was released. "Hopefully, and this is the real hope, the next album will do that again", says Vishal. "The Rock scene was actually stagnating. No one was doing anything different. No one was taking anything further in terms of sound."

Papal has somehow managed to procure some tandoori chicken and rotis, and promptly begins devouring the same. When I ask about the band's expectations when they started out, Vishal taunts him to answer. Eventually, Vishal answers it himself. "They were the same as now." He puts on a wannabe teenage punker face, acts all excited and says, "One day we'll put out an album, and it'll be damn good fun. Chicks will dig us..." Everyone laughs and, as if to emphasise his point, Vishal plays another screechy note on the flute.

Did they believe that they would sell 20,000 plus albums, in India? "Ya, ya!" says Vishal cockily. "There was that one little belief. The other stuff that was happening at that time was Indi-Pop or whatever. There were other bands like Indus Creed who had made some good music. So we knew that it could be done."

Pentagram will be playing steady gigs in India and abroad in the coming months. From the Roskilde festival in Denmark, to an MTV gig in Tokyo, many media bigwigs have invited them to play at international venues. If they could change one thing in the last ten years, Vishal believes that it would probably be the fact that there was a six year gap between albums one and two. "But maybe not", he retracts, "coz that's what it takes." Finally, Papal speaks up asking "Is this going to be on air?", and I courteously inform him that this is JAM magazine; we don't have air, only print.

The band has collaborated with Shankar Mahadevan and Javed Akhtar in the past. Vishal doesn't agree that this was an attempt to make the bands' music more marketable. "Shankar's a buddy. And he's a genuinely talented guy. The point was that (on Price Of Bullets, the song on which they collaborated) Shankar and Javed sahab wanted to say the same thing as we did ." What are their views on music piracy, considering it has played a major role in getting people to hear their music? "The thing with piracy is", says Shiraz "if people are downloading it for a listen, it's great. If they're making money out of it, then it's not."

As the night wears on, Vishal discloses his views on the state of Zero, with Warren moving to New Zealand, and Siddharth also planning an international getaway. "I'll tell you one thing about Zero, they're a bunch of lazy wankers. They should get off their asses. They're leaving behind a good thing. When you've got a band like that, you just don't leave it and walk away. It's a big thing. All of them are great musicians, but I'm sorry to say their priorities are all f***ed up."

"As a musician, if you think you've done it all, you're f***ed to start with. Secondly, you've never done it all. I've got two words for you - Mick Jagger. You start off thinking, 'I'm gonna take over the world man!' That's the way it should be." And that's the way it is with Pentagram. They might not take over the world, but they're sure as hell gonna try.

S a r a h thumbnail
PENTAGRAM & BATTLEDUST
MUSIC'S A GAME!
First things first!

As for the makers of this music, here's the lowdown.
Eleven years on the rock circuit and and a third album in the works, there's one defining factor about Pentagram's music. And that's constant innovation in their sound.

So when Vishal isn't busy scoring some Bollywood music with Shekhar, he jams up with Randolph, Shiraz and Papal to notch up another landmark product in Indian rock, complete Pentagram style!

This time, it's the soundtrack and background score for 'Battledust - The Championship', India's first 3D fighting game. Where Pentagram's music lends the apt background to some hardcore gaming exploits.

Make sure you to get a piece of the action. As Vishal says, "It's a fun game, where as the levels increase, so does the intensity of the music!"
S a r a h thumbnail
'It is too early for us to develop an ego'

March 01, 2003 16:17 IST

At a time when composers, arrangers and anyone with a passing reference to music is doing their take on R D Burman's music by way of remixes and tributes along comes a duo that actually celebrates the legendary Pancham's style through their compositions.

Vishal Dadlani

and Shekhar Ravjiani, composers for Sujoy Ghosh's forthcoming

Jhankaar Beats

have intelligently transplanted Pancham's rhythms, orchestration and sound patterns into their original and very contemporary tunes.

Vishal, lead singer of the rock band Pentagram, and Shekhar, a trained vocalist who produced his album First Love a few years ago, first joined forces to compose the title track for Raj Kaushal's Pyaar Mein Kabhi Kabhi half a decade ago.

After creating songs like the title tracks of Mujhe Kucch Kehna Hai and Rehnaa Hai Terre Dil Mein, they are ready to storm the music world with their first major film album, says Deepa Gumaste:

How did the Vishal-Shekhar team come about?

Vishal:

We had been friends for years before we were commissioned by Raj Kaushal to record a few songs for Pyaar Mein Kabhi Kabhi. We did a couple of songs each and recorded the title track together.

Shekhar:

Then we got to record the title song for Champion and things started happening.

Do you mind sharing the album credits with other music directors like you have done for

Kaante?

Vishal:

First of all, it is too early for us to develop an ego. Second, the world over, film soundtracks are an amalgamation of different sounds. Actually, we are glad filmmakers we have worked with are accepting new talent. They have been very fair and professional with us and given us a billing for each of our compositions.

Shekhar:

It was fun working with a director like Sanjay Gupta. The brief he gave us was so crystal clear it was easy to create a song (Chhod na re) to suit the situation.

What was your brief for Jhankaar Beats?

Vishal:

Sujoy had the script ready and bound when we started work and he knew exactly what he wanted each song to be like. He wanted our music to be a tribute to R D Burman.

Shekhar:

Also, he wanted the songs to be simple, not the typical filmi orchestration.

The film's theme song sounds almost as if RD had composed and sung it.

Vishal:

That was an instinctive song. We created a tune reminiscent of his music and then got his musicians to play like they would for him. Sudesh Bhosle did the rest. He is brilliant.

Shekhar:

Sujoy also insisted we get Amit Kumar to sing a couple of songs. He recorded the song Boss kaun hai in one take! It took us 10 minutes to finish that song.

Vishal, you have also written the film's lyrics. Is that a hidden talent?

Vishal:

Actually, I am a lyricist by default. The dummy songs I wrote fit the situations and hence they were retained.

What do you think of remixes?

Shekhar:

Remixes are now made overnight and churned out without a care for quality.

Vishal:

Done well, remixes rock. Done badly, they are terrible. But whichever way you look at it, remix is here to stay. It is not a passing phase, but a huge industry all over the world. Our own songs have been remixed. I think the Dance Masti remix of Musu musu from Pyaar Mein Kabhi Kabhi was nice.

What next?

Shekhar:

We are doing a film called Supari with Padam Kumar, Phir Na Kehna with Siddharth Sengupta and Shashanka Ghosh's Waisa Bhi Hota Hai. We'll also record a couple of songs for Sanjay Gupta's next production, Plan.

Vishal:

Also, Sujoy's next film provided he can still tolerate us.