Users

Frequent Posters

S a r a h thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago
Melody men
Music composers Vishal and Shekhar tell ANUJ KUMAR what makes them tick

TWO TO TANGO Vishal-Shekhar feel it's the script that should dictate the music
They are among the new faces of Bollywood music. Faces that are adamant to take Bollywood music beyond the staple 'hey hey'. Meet Vishal Dadlani and Shekhar Ravjiani, the music directors who made their presence felt with Jhankar Beats, established that they are going to stay with Kaante and proved their versatility with scores in films like Dus, Salaam Namaste, Bluffmaster, Honeymoon Travels Private Limited and now Ta Ra Rum Pum, whose music has just hit the charts. The start Going down memory lane, Vishal says, "We met during Pyar Mein Kabhi Kabhi where both Shekhar and I were working, but not as a team." Vishal composed the popular "Musu Musu" and Shekhar composed some other numbers. "It was during that period that we realised we share the same wavelength and can gel as a team. I was already the vocalist and composer in the Pentagram band and was always on the lookout for new sounds. Shekhar, on the other hand, came across as a person with a deep knowledge of Western and Indian classical music. He is also an excellent pianist. In simple words, if I brought in the energy, he provided the depth," notes Vishal. Shekhar says Ta Ra Rum Pum is another attempt to show their range after "Sajnaji Vari Vari". That they can regularly create something that works beyond the dance floor. "Though the director (Siddharth Anand) is the same, here the music is quite different from Salaam Namastey, as, unlike Salaam Namastey which was all about youth, Ta Ra Rum Pum is a family film despite car racing as the background. Our brief was to create some classic melodies, something we used to hear in the films of Subhash Ghai and Manmohan Desai." Vishal feels the good thing is that they were told not to go by commercial focus, but rather to concentrate on stringing together the emotions that are clearly defined by the script. Talking about the songs, Shekhar says the highlight is the title track in two versions. "One is rendered by Shaan and Mahalaxmi Iyer. It has a reggae feel with interesting use of dholak. Another one is by Shreya Ghoshal, which is composed in the form of classical melodies of the '70s. Then there is 'Saiyyan' sung by Vishal himself. It is a Sufi number with a rock base." Unique texture Vishal says he went to do a scratch version to check if the lyrics were fine, but Siddharth and Aditya Chopra liked it so much that they asked him to retain the song as it was. "This is the second time it has happened to me. Last time it was 'Tujhe Chaand Chahiye' in Supari. Otherwise I am an in-house talent who is used when some unique textures of sound are required like 'Hey na Hey na' in Dus." Vishal, who has also written songs like "Allah Ke Bande" and "Right Here Right Now" reveals that when they outsource the lyrics, mostly they give the tune to the lyricist. "People like Javed Akhtar are so exceptional, they make the words match so perfectly that one can't figure out what came first." "Javed Sahib has a great ability to write a profound thought in simplest of words," feels Shekhar. "'Sajnaji Vari Vari' was an exception though, where Javed Sahib came with lyrics first," reveals Vishal. Dissecting the considerable success of the number, Vishal says in India there are two types of people: "One type who have branched out to Western music without the understanding of the rich roots of Indian folk. The others are those who are deeply rooted to the traditional but have no idea of what's happening on the world stage. We are attempting to provide the tree with the likes of Javed Sahib." Next in line is Farah Khan's Om Shanti Om where according to Shekhar the music is as crazy as Farah!

"We have also roped in Pyarelalji (of Laxmikant Pyarelal fame) to do arrangement for us in one of the songs, for it required a huge organic orchestra."

S a r a h thumbnail

A Conversation With Pentagram

It's clear that Pentagram are India's biggest rock act. After all, they're the only band from India that's been invited to perform at the UK's prestigious Glastonbury rock festival. But it's the lesser known details that have us intrigued. For instance, Pentagram vocalist Vishal Dadlani teamed up with Shekhar Ravjiani – the trained vocalist who produced Vishal's debut album, First Love – to compose the feature track for Raj Kaushal's Pyaar Mein Kabhi Kabhi a few years ago. Since then, the duo has composed tracks for films such as Bluffmaster, Jhankaar Beats, Mujhe Kucch Kehna Hai, Rehnaa Hai Terre Dil Mein and, most recently, Taxi No. 9211.

Not only that, but during the Kargil war, Pentagram recorded and released India's first exclusive song on the Internet, "The Price of Bullets", featuring poet Javed Akhtar and classical artist Shankar Mahadevan. The video, directed by Farhan Akhtar, one of India's most successful young film-makers, was blocked from the airwaves for being "too political". Refusing to give in, Pentagram added the song as a bonus track on Up, their second album.

Of course, nothing is too political for petaDishoom, so we caught up with Vishal when Pentagram performed at HT City's Youth Nexus in Delhi. He talked to us about his decision to go vegetarian, which he made around the time Pentagram hit the scene, and then he told us … oh, wait. We're sorry. Why don't we let you get the inside scoop in this exclusive interview?

How long have you been a vegetarian? What pushed you to make the switch?
I turned vegetarian in 1993, specifically because I like animals. I am unhappy with the idea of eating them.

What would you do if you witnessed an animal who was being ill-treated? Would you speak up?
Yes, for sure. If I knew an organisation or a number I could call to make a complaint, I would do that. Other than that, if I got out of my car or a rickshaw to beat a guy who's beating an animal, it would be like beating another "animal". It can't be a fascist thing.

You must have heard how animals are being poached – wild tigers are being killed for their skin, elephants are being killed for their tusks, etc. What are your views on that?
That's horrible. It is sick when people kill animals for their skin, especially when they know they are few. And it's even sicker when they are killed for medicinal and decorative purposes.

What would your message be to the youth about animal protection?
I would ask them to educate their friends. If they like animals, they should share their ideas and support the fact that animals should not be killed. It starts from a small community and spreads to society, state, country – right from within the neighbourhood. There should be awareness about the slaughter of animals, animal conservation, etc.

What's up next for the band?
Pentagram is writing our third album. In June and July, we will play in festivals abroad – France, Denmark, back to the UK and Estonia – and then we'll push our way into the US. We have a network established in the UK and Europe but have yet to break the barriers in the US.

For further information on Pentagram as well as info on our latest celebrity interviews, exclusive events and promotions, don't forget to sign up for petaDishoom E-News.
S a r a h thumbnail
Musical duos have become a tradition in Bollywood and who has not heard about Kalyanji-Anandji, Anand-Milind, Mandhir-Jatin, Jatin-Lalit, (now separated) Sajid-Wajid, Bapi-Tutul and Salim Suleiman. Vishal-Shekhar represents the young music genre of this convention. Vishal Dadlani along with Shekhar have composed the music for Pyar Mein Kabhi Kabhi, Jhankar Beats, Dus, Musafir and Salaam Namaste. This duo takes the easy way out-one catchy hit song per film gets a producer to shop yet again at this one hit shop. Vishal Dadlani is the partner of Shekhar, the music composer of Bluffmaster. The music composer of Bluffmaster super hit song Right here Right now Vishal Dadlani spoke to The Tribune about his music. Bluffmaster has made waves and I sincerely praying and hoping that this leads to meatier assignments. I want to exhibit our range. I want a soulful quality in our songs that can only come from acoustics", says Vishal Dadlani music composer cum lyrics writer. Dadlani claims that their music is different and innovative because of a lot of stress on sound design. Vishal Dadlani also uses new signers. As musicians Vishal is satisfied with his work. He has a good stock as well as understanding of what goes into good film music. Our music styling and rhyming are different and not clicked. Coming up, adds Vishal are interesting projects like Golmaal, Yash Chopra's Tara Rum Pum, Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd., Anubhav Sinha's two projects Cash and Airport.

In short, Vishal conclude, music has become more of showmanship and marketing. Making good music today is nothing less than a challenge.

S a r a h thumbnail
Listen to His Tunes here:
http://www.last.fm/music/Vishal+Dadlani

S a r a h thumbnail

October 10, 2006

Celebrity Interview: Vishal Dadlani ...

Welcome to the new rhythm that is driving the nation crazy – 'Hoo Haa India'. And if you are wondering what are Vishal-Shekhar doing apart from making cricket promotional tracks, then read on. Because for next year or so, you would hear them in not less than 6 biggies, that doesn't include their album with Abhishek Bachchan, which they tout as the biggest of all.

Over to Vishal Dadlani to hear from him about some exclusive details, especially about the music of Chota B album and 'Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd.'

'Hoo Haa India' – Is that going be the new anthem of the cricket crazy nation?

Yup, hope so. I believe we have been able to get a new rhythm going, and a fairly good one so say!

But how did the project happen?

Well, we were paid good money by the agencies and we gave them a good track to chant! It was as simple as that. [Laughs]

Come on now, seriously what was the driving factor?

It happened like this. JWD, the ad agency, approached us and wanted us to compose a track that could be used for the upcoming cricket series. The rhythm was something that they wanted to be cried out loud in the stadium while the matches were on. Obviously we were paid good money too [smiles] and everything seemed quite interesting to get going. Shiraz Bhattacharya, the man who plays drums for us, is the director of the music video that you currently see on air.

Is the song restricted to cricket?

No, in fact 'Aaya India' has a lot many shades to it. It is about people, it is about families, it is about stuff we care about. It is like treating your nation as your mother.

Did you conceptualize the track from scratch?

No, in fact lyrics were sent to us by JWD themselves and what they demanded was to hear a rhythm on the lines of 'Hoo Haa'! Then we roped in Sukhwinder Singh, who is one of our big favorites, to render the track. Now he is someone who brings in so many different textures to a composition. We did compose the track and later the singers came in. Apart from Sukhwinder there is Tara Baswani, a known name in the ad circles, who has sung the track.

So is the song 'Aaya India' mainly for the upcoming ICC Championship Trophy or beyond that?

See, to be very honest to you, I don't have a faintest of clue about that. I don't know if they would use it for Championship Trophy, take it till the World Cup 2007 or beyond that!

Fair enough. But Vishal, where are the movies? Long time since we heard from you?

And I would call it as a calm before the storm. There is so much of film music that you would hear from us in the coming months that you won't be able to ignore us by any means!

And which are these films?

First to come would be Farhan Akhtar's 'Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd.' Then there is Arjun Rampal's home production 'I See You'. After that there is Yash Raj Films' 'Tara Rum Pum'. Anubhav Sinha's 'Cash' and 'Airport' are in the pipeline too. And last but not the least; we come back with Sujoy again with his fantasy flick 'Aladin'. This means that starting November, we would be practically there on a regular basis till mid-2007. Any complains now?

No, not at all. In fact one feels that you guys must have been over worked by now. Any plans to take rest?

Man, desperately! Our families are after us to take a vacation and we certainly are going to take one soon!

With so many films coming up, let's talk about your nearest release 'Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd' first.

Believe me; Reema Kagti [film's director] has made such a unique film. It is a concept so novel that you would be amazed to see it unfolding in front of you on screen. Even the music is dictated so much by characters and each time a song comes up, you realize that it is due to a situational placement.

Songs driven by characters? Is the music something on the lines of those heard in Sujoy's films ['Jhankaar Beats', 'Home Delivery']?

Well, not exactly. See Reema and Sujoy are two different people and have different tastes when it comes to music. Each of them demand a different flavor and as composers we strive to give them exactly what they want. They have a different style of music placement in their films.

Coming back to 'Honeymoon', do you wish to elaborate on the music?

There is a lot of variety that you would hear there. There is one folksy club song which is really HUGE! Then there is one love song that goes completely filmy. A lovely pop-rock kind of song also finds a place in the album while one track is solely about a journey. Apart from this there are some more. Another special attraction is Shankar Mahadevan singing for us. Believe me there was so much of fun while composing the musical score of 'Honeymoon' and we thoroughly loved the outing.

Shankar Mahadevan singing for you? Now this is something new since he is composes with Ehsaan and Loy too?

Well, this is not exactly new, not something for us at least. You may remember Bappida sung for us in 'Taxi No. 9211'! Then I have sung a couple of songs for Shankar too. So, it's quite cool actually!

Talking of other composers/singers singing for you, you had also mentioned some time back that you would love to get Priyanka Chopra sing for an album. So is Priyanka Chopra going to be next Sunidhi Chauhan?

No! Not at all. In fact Priyanka Chopra is going to be another Priyanka Chopra. She won't replace anyone since she will build an identity of her own. She is so unique.

But then why has that not happened so far?

Because she is not getting that push from inside her. Once she gets that push and she agrees, there will be no looking back for her. It is good that she has friends like Rohan [Sippy], Abhishek [Bachchan] and others who would convince her one day that she can be a rock star!

And how about the other actor turning singer - Abhishek Bachchan? Oh, that's really happening well. The album is happening well and currently there is a lot of jamming happening. Mark my words, in comparison to all the other 5-6 albums that I mentioned in the start, the one that we are creating with Abhishek Bachchan would be most rocking of all. It is coming out so beautifully that we are eagerly waiting for it to be ready and up there on stands.

How is it progressing?

6 tracks have been completed and four more are on the way. And don't ask me which genre the songs belong to because they don't belong to a particular genre. Also, if you thought that 'Right Here Right Now' [Bluffmaster] was cool then you have to wait for this album to be out. You will have to find a new term to describe the feel.

And is dad Bachchan coming in too?

We hope so, and we are praying hard. We don't have to really describe how big fans are we of Mr. Bachchan. We believe that he would be singing a track for us but then first we actually want it to happen before declaring it to the world.

With such a big album coming in, you must have already found a music label.

Seriously, this album is more of an art for us and we are not taking it as a commercial outing. We have not even thought on those lines though I can tell you that it will take a wide international release, something that has been rarely seen for a musical score from India.

S a r a h thumbnail
Movie "Shabd" - Music Review Vishal-Shekhar return to the composing seat in the thriller "Shabd". And like their other compositions, the tunes here are far above par with almost with everything you can ask for. The ever so talented composers have gained a firm hold of the industry after Musafir, and with Shabd show that not only can they compose thematically, but for both situations, they can compose what works. This soundtrack also shows that at the very least, Pritish Nandy Communications carry music that is decent on the ears. Youd be forgiven if you mistakenly took Vishal Dadlani (one half of the composer duo here) for Adnan Sami in the soundtrack opener "Sholon Si". Though one can argue that Sami would have made the song even better than it already is, Dadlani is more than suitable for the mood that the song brings out. Upbeat, laced with your catchy Latin beats and chorus intervals (vamos a la playa), the song catches the listener right away even though it starts off with the theme orchestration and leaves the impression that the song will be a regular romantic track. Sunidhi Chauhan is perfectly toned, something that Vishal-Shekhar have been known to do superb as well, and the song is hit from the word go. Lyricist Irshad Kamil, who featured in PNCs last film, Chameli, is also pleasantly in your non-typical form here without straying too far from normal or getting too verbose for that matter. The following songs reveal a bit about the film, containing vocal intervals by Sanjay Dutt (credited as free verses). What makes the songs work is how well the interludes complement not only the mood but the orchestration. Sonu Nigam is perfect and the best he has been in recent soundtracks. "Khoya Khoya Tha", like the openers, starts off slower with Sonu Nigam (who sings for Zayed Khans character), conveying Sanjay Dutts characters writings, and Sunidhi Chauhan joining in. The punch is packed when the title of the track kicks in and the jazz like feel of the song settles in. Certainly one to please those that are into romantic songs, particularly when Sonu and Sunidhi sing together. The song blends the verses and the music perfectly. The playful "Bolo Na" has the superlative Shreya Ghoshal whispering "nahin nahin" in the background throughout the track. Again Sanjay Dutt almost narrates the song (which is a stand out in the latter portion of the track when Dutts portion cues Ghoshals lines). Sonu is commanding in his rendition and Vishal-Shekhars dramatic composition stands out the most. Again, a feat it is to create a song like this, make it sound as playfully interesting (with catchy jhankaar beats and all) and worthy of more than one listen. In both "Khoya Khoya" and "Bola Na", lyricist Irshad Kamil is a refreshing change from the Bollywood regulars we get soundtrack after soundtrack. Additionally, Kamil and Dadlani team up for some of the free verses. "Chahaton Ka Silsila" is a bit more regular Bollywood song, though that not detracting on the quality of it at all, that too not withholding the fact that Kumar Sanu sounds great after being heard from so little. Ironically, the song establishes a pattern almost of starting off a bit different from the way the entire song actually is, as Sunidhi opens up the track with a slow verse completely throwing off the listener from what is to follow. The orchestration here, with this being the theme/title song of the soundtrack is complimented nicely with the flute and a good set of lyrics to follow. Sunidhi and Sanu pair up well and deliver the sweet (no other word for it) tune perfectly. A second rendition, by Udit Narayan sounds a bit more familiar to the ear. Udit is effective, after all, but his rendition brings out the familiarity in the song a bit more reminding us more of "Jaana" from Chameli and several others. The former version is better for the simple fact that Kumar Sanu is heard rarely now, and even less sounding as good as he does there. A remix (complete with rap interludes and all) of "Sholon Si" is also included on the soundtrack. With the film being a romantic thriller its almost mandatory that it must have a dramatic composition. Enter Sukhwinder Singhs "Mat Jaa", a semi-rock loud number which is dramatic, enthralling and completely situational. It too follows with a remix later on. The "Theme of Shabd" closes off the soundtrack, encompassing bits and pieces of the melody and orchestrations and adding your typical dramatic interludes with them.

Finding that perfect medium in Bollywood has often become a problem. Balancing a completely thematic soundtrack for a commercial film and attempting to make it work often produces results that are far on extremes and ultimately unpleasant. Shabds music is more worth a listeners time than recent releases, like Bewafaa, Elaan(and the list goes on?) as there is a little more balance and effort in making it work, and the attempt is noteworthy. Thankfully, this time around, its not all about the lyrics but how well both can come together. Even the two songs that feature verses are enjoyable. Shabd is a welcome soundtrack from Pritish Nandy Communications and Vishal-Shekhar, all familiarity aside, it will probably entertain you more than recent releases from the big names and all.

S a r a h thumbnail
stiletto thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
hes a vegan! oh no!

how can anybody refuse chicken?! butter chicken to be more specific!
S a r a h thumbnail

Name: Vishal Dadlani

------------------------------------------------------------ -----------------

Lyrics Penned: (11)

boss??? ?? ????? ?? ???? - ##boss## kaun thaa maaluum hai kyaa ( Jhankaar Beats - 2003) ????? ???? ?? bombay?? ... ??? ?? ?? - arre pahale to ##bombay## thaa ... sahii hai re ( Jhankaar Beats - 2003) ??? ?? ????? ??? ???? ?? ??? ?? ???? ???? ?? - dil ne tumako chun liyaa hai tum bhii isako chuno naa ( Jhankaar Beats - 2003) ?? ??? ???? ?? ?? ... ??? ??? ??? ?? - jab kabhii chaa.Nd naa ho ... agar tum saath ho ( Jhankaar Beats - 2003) ????? ... ??? ??? ... ???? ????? ???? ???? - jha.nkaar ... taraa taraa ... tho.Dii mastii tho.Dii yaarii ( Jhankaar Beats - 2003) ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??? ?? ... ???? ????? ????? ????? - tuu jo hai to sab kuchh hai ... hame.n tumase pyaar kitanaa ( Jhankaar Beats - 2003) ???\-??? ????? ?? ... ???? ?? ???? ???? ?? - ruk\-ruk rukanaa naa ... chalanaa hai chalate jaanaa hai ( Jhankaar Beats - 2003) ???? ????????&#23 44;? ... ???? ?? ??? ?? - teraa muskuraanaa ... kaisaa ye nashaa hai ( Jhankaar Beats - 2003) ?? ??? ?? ??? ?? ???? ???? ????? - jo gayaa vo gayaa jo aa_egaa dekhaa jaa_egaa ( Jhankaar Beats - 2003) ?? ?? ?????? ??? ... ?? ????? ?? - tuu hai aasmaa.N me.n ... tuu aashiqii hai ( Jhankar Beats - 2003)
  1. ????\-???? ?? ??????? ??? ???? ... ?????? ?? ????? - TuuTaa\-TuuTaa ek parindaa aise TuuTaa ... allaah ke bande ( Waisa Bhi Hota Hai Part II - 2003)

Songs Sung: (3)

boss??? ?? ????? ?? ???? - ##boss## kaun thaa maaluum hai kyaa ( Jhankaar Beats - 2003) ?? ??? ?? ??? ?? ???? ???? ????? - jo gayaa vo gayaa jo aa_egaa dekhaa jaa_egaa ( Jhankaar Beats - 2003)
  1. ???\-??? ????? ?? ... ???? ?? ???? ???? ?? - ruk\-ruk rukanaa naa ... chalanaa hai chalate jaanaa hai ( Jhankaar Beats - 2003)
S a r a h thumbnail
^^Kim he has been an active member for PETA since 1993 so stopped consuming non-veg 😭 life looks nothing without that, doesnt it?