Originally posted by: mini2390

i know, the middle in particular! ..lol

Yes!

Word Count: 1

S a r a h thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago
👏 👏 wow Ruby the page looks gorgeous and neat like our Vishy's head....... 😳 😳
Megan if you are supporting your fav as an unbiased fan then its okay but not supporting just coz he didnt live upto our expectations is something really biased 😳 😳 😳
and great going with the picz here.... 👏
S a r a h thumbnail
The Rediff Interview / Vishal-Shekhar

Chilling with Bollywood's new songsters

September 08, 2005

Music direction isn't what it used to be. Hummable'melodies have now been replaced by dancehall patterns and thumping beats tuned to discotheque mania.

Leading the new Bollywood sound brigade are Vishal Dadlani and Shekhar Ravjiani. Vishal-Shekhar are responsible for setting floors on fire with the'superhit Dus soundtrack, and are stepping up to bat now'with Salaam Namaste.

Raja Sen shot the breeze with the music composer duo, and tried to see how they work. Here are some excerpts:

Let's start by talking about the Salaam Namaste soundtrack.

Vishal: Oh, it's young, light'

Shekhar: 'Fresh' (laughs at the commonly used adjective). It's a very vibrant soundtrack.

Vishal: See, Dus (their recent smash hit) was a big club sound, but this is totally different.

So how do you guys develop a mood for a certain film's soundtrack? Is it your call or the directors?

Vishal: The music we make is the director's music, based on the story he wants to tell.

Shekhar: For example, for Salaam Namaste, Siddharth (Anand, the director) briefed us on the kind of music. This started with a story session, in minute detail.

Vishal: The music came based on the emotion he wanted to convey. We got the story, and then hung out together, started writing tunes.

Shekhar: The end result is quite different from what we have'done before.

Salaam Namaste: The music review

Is that a constraint for you, this need to constantly innovate? Do you get enough scope to be different in Hindi cinema?

Vishal: It's not being different for the sake of being different. We're working towards a director's vision.

Shekhar: This is a Yash Raj (Films) soundtrack, so we're expected to be melodic. The music is typically our sound, but there are a lot of strong melodies. Good directors know what they want.

Vishal: Adi (Aditya Chopra, the film's producer) knows music so well. These are directors who try and bring out the best melodies. Siddharth is great to work with.

Is the whole process of music-direction a very structured and clinical one, or do you guys just jam?

Vishal: We jam! There is structure, yes, but basically we all get together ' the music directors, the director, and the producer. We play around with tunes and what our basic ideas are, and things obviously change. We get a lot of inputs, and a lot more to work with.

What's with music-directors constantly working in twos? Isn't composing a very personal process?

Shekhar: (Laughs) They work in threes also!

Vishal: Not just threes, sometimes even teams of four, five' eight! (Laughs)

Shekhar: The thing is that music directors never work alone.

Vishal: Yeah, it's just a matter of how they choose to share the credit. There are music directors who work with a lot of people but don't name them.

But you two are a definitive partnership. How do things work with you? Are there clearly demarcated musical areas?

Vishal: Yes, I have the left side of the room, he has the right!

Shekhar: We pretty much do everything together. We're from different schools of music, we like different kinds of music, but we manage to have a good shared musical taste.

Vishal: The process, as you call it, is very free-flowing. I can write a song, and Shekhar can say it's really cheesy! We bounce each other's ideas.

Shekhar: And it's very important that we can both be objective and analyse the songs.

Vishal: True. Tunes need a definite quality control, and when both of us end up writing songs together, it feels great.

So how did you two meet?

Vishal: Well, we put on this rock show many years ago, with the basic intention of meeting women. I don't know, Shekhar might have participated because of some 'creative urge' (laughs) but I wanted to meet women!

Shekhar: We had a common friend, a drummer called Shiraz, and I must say (laughs) it really wasn't much of a 'rock show' eventually.

Vishal: But we did meet there, and hit it off. But then nothing else happened, and we fell out of touch.

Shekhar: I was working on jingles for Raj Kaushik (advertising filmmaker, director of Shaadi Ka Laddoo), and the soundtrack for the original Dus film, for the late Mukul Anand. But that film totally changed, and that music was never used.

Vishal: And Raj heard a couple of songs of mine, and he loved them.

Shelhar: So five years after the rock show, we both met in Raj Kaushal's studio to work on Pyaar Mein Kabhi Kabhi!

Vishal: It was a crazy coincidence! I walked into the studio, and I see this guy, and I do a double take! (Laughs)

Vishal, you've been a rocker for quite some time with Pentagram. Are you still actively part of the band? Have your film responsibilities forced you to cut back on rock?

Vishal: No, actually. Nothing is in the other's way. My bandmates and Shekhar have both been really accommodating, and I've been able to juggle my schedules comfortably. It's pretty cool. I still rock as much as I ever did.

But what about music styles? You two worked separately, and did your own thing. Now you're smack bang in the middle of big bad Bollywood. How different is it?

Vishal: First of all, the horror stories you hear are 99% untrue. The industry treats you depending on the way you are.

Shekhar: Exactly. It's about how you respond to people. Maybe certain people just behave coolly based on how we are. So they're cool with us, and maybe ' for all we know ' different with the rest of the industry folk: It doesn't matter.

Vishal: Also, we're very informal. Instead of a traditional producer-music director or a director-music director relationship, we end up being friends. The jamming sessions are great fun, where we all hang out together.

Shekhar: Music direction is something we love, and are very passionate about. I guess we're cool in Bollywood because making music can never be our 'job'.

There's a lot of 'different' music being made these days, and a lot of purists aren't warming up to it. Do you think Bollywood is suddenly trying to be too radical, in every way?

Vishal: There's no such thing as too much experimentation.

Shekhar: There are a lot of new guys in the industry now, and they're all making different kinds of cinema. There are a lot of different moods to compose for.

Vishal: And all these new guys have their own set of influences, their own likes and dislikes, musically. Most of them are very hands-on about what they want. I think we're here at the right place, at the right time.

Shekhar: In the West, music is constantly evolving. There's always something new to do. We should be just like that.

What kind of experimentation thrills you guys musically?

Shekhar: We like to work with traditional sounds in a non-traditional manner.

Vishal: For example, the Dus bahaane song is basically a dholak loop, under a dancehall pattern. If you rip up the track and break it apart, that's what you'll discover -- which is something you can hardly make out when you listen to the track. And that's what makes the sound of the song so special.

Shekhar: The dholak gives it'the groove.

Who have inspired you as music directors? And which of your contemporaries do work you think is admirable?

Vishal: Oh, Kalyandji-Anandji, Lakshmikant-Pyarelal, R D Burman...

Shekhar: S D Burman, Naushad, O P Nayyar, Khayyam sa'ab.

Vishal: Oh, Khayyam sa'ab, definitely. (Bows, rocker style)

Shekhar: (Among the new guys) I like Shantanu Moitra's work.

Vishal: Pritam is doing some pretty good stuff.

Shekhar: And (A R) Rahman is totally brilliant. Sometimes you just have to be overwhelmed with certain things. Like the way he mixes the shehnai in the Swades theme. (They start 'singing' the instrumental bits) It's really awesome.

What kind of music do you like personally? Any favourite artistes?

Vishal: All kinds. Rock, obviously. Then electronica, world music, Sufi stuff, hip hop, jazz. Right now, in my car, I have Vulgar Display Of Power (by Pantera), Nightsong (by Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and'Michael Brooks) and some assorted hip hop stuff.

Shekhar: In my car, I have the Bunty Aur Babli tape (laughs) because my daughter just loves it!

Vishal: She doesn't like the Salaam Namaste stuff as much, na?

Shekhar: No, not yet, but she's big on the television promo, and occasionally dances to the (sings) Salaam namaste, salaam namaste chorus.

Vishal: (Laughs) But it's not in the league of (sings) Bunty aur Babli, yet.

Shelhar: No. Anyway, about my music, I listen to a lot of old Hindi stuff. Lots of (Mohammed) Rafi, Mukesh sa'ab, Kishore Kumar. And then there's hip hop and Sufi music.

Vishal: And (sings) Bunty aur Babli, Bunty aur Babli, Bunty' damn! See what you started?

S a r a h thumbnail
Its official, Vishal Dadlani of Vishal Shekhar Duo fame will lend his vocal chords to the title song of Dhoom 2! This is quite a surprise since Vishal and Pritam (music director of Dhoom 2) are considered archrivals. When contacted this is what he had to say:

"Yes, I am have sung the song but how did you get to know about it?", he exclaims with genuine surprise! Well, there are ways to find such information out, especially in the age of internet. "Great! Well yes, but me singing is hardly a scoop, isn't it? After all I have just gone ahead and sung a song for the film. It's not even on the air, I don't know how it will be used in the film and I have absolutely no idea if it is a song in the film or a promotional video or something for a background score", he says rather modestly.

"Adi [Aditya Chopra] called me up and said would you like to sing for this track composed by Pritam. And I was like - wow, why not? See, I may not be a playback singer in conventional terms but I am a part of Pentagram band and have been performing for quite a while. The basic fact is that I enjoy singing and hence have no qualms if someone ropes me in for a particular number. Coming to 'Dhoom Again', believe me I had a lot of fun while doing it. We all know that the song is legendary and one has to give his best for singing a track like this. This time around it is in English. Now it has to be seen how has it been used in the film!",

S a r a h thumbnail

Originally posted by: .:Aphrodite:.

yeah it was wrong of me to be disappointed that Shekhar would pull in a regional card and plead Gujjurati people to vote for a bad performance just because of the ethnicity

I suppose i was being very unreasonable to expect someone I am a fan of to not be ethnocentric😕

ah... you are getting me wrong!!! you are diappointed is alright as we expect from those whom we love.. but the thing is that your disppointment shudnt be so much so that it may harm some aspects like you start hating if you are too diappointed... was just telling you that may be you were balming him for not so big matter - one cannt be perfect... it is unfair to promote a person who doesnt deserve that treatment just bcoz of some stupid reasons like you are from the same region .... imagine if you were a fan of Mauli[I doubt that tho😆] then your love towards Shaky would have been increased bounds and leaps.... but as I've said he is also a normal human who makes mistakes😳

S a r a h thumbnail

Vishal Dadlani

photos board contact details

Awards:
3 wins & 4 nominations more
Alternate Names:
Vishal-Shekar / Vishal-Shekhar / Vishal
    Happy Birthday (2007/I) (pre-production) Om Shanti Om (2007) (filming) De Taali (2007) (post-production)

Cash (2007) (as Vishal-Shekhar) Ta Ra Rum Pum (2007) (as Vishal-Shekhar) Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd. (2007) I See You (2006) Golmaal: Fun Unlimited (2006) Taxi No. 9211 (2006) Tathastu (2006) Ek Ajnabee (2005) (as Vishal)
    ... aka One Stranger (International: English title) Home Delivery: Aapko... Ghar Tak (2005) (as Vishal-Shekhar) Salaam Namaste (2005) Dus (2005) (as Vishal) Karam (2005) (as Vishal-Shekar) Shabd (2005) (as Vishal) Musafir (2004) (as Vishal) Stop! (2004) (as Vishal-Shekhar) Popcorn Khao! Mast Ho Jao (2004) Shaadi Ka Laddoo (2004) (as Vishal) Plan (2004) Waisa Bhi Hota Hai Part II (2003) Jhankaar Beats (2003) (as Vishal) Supari (2003) (as Vishal-Shekhar) Kaante (2002) (as Vishal)
    ... aka Thorns (International: English title)

1. Pyaar Mein Kabhi Kabhi (1999)
    Dhoom:2 (2006) (playback singer)
    ... aka D:2 - Back in Action (India: English title: informal English alternative title) Ek Ajnabee (2005) (playback singer)
    ... aka One Stranger (International: English title) Home Delivery: Aapko... Ghar Tak (2005) (playback singer) Shabd (2005) (playback singer) Popcorn Khao! Mast Ho Jao (2004) (playback singer) Jhankaar Beats (2003) (playback singer) Supari (2003) (playback singer)

1. Shehzaade (1989) (production boy)
  1. Waisa Bhi Hota Hai Part II (2003) (background music)
  1. Talaash: The Hunt Begins... (2003) (assistant director) (as Vishal)
  1. Chhote Sarkar (1996) (assistant camera)
  1. Om Shanti Om (2007) (filming) .... Himself

Genres:
Comedy / Romance / Action / Drama more
Edited by S a r a h - 17 years ago
S a r a h thumbnail
All of 25 tunes, to play at a theatre nearby

| Tuesday, October 05, 2004 |

From a couple of songs in Pyar Mein Kabhi Kabhi to a probable 25 songs ? yes, 25 ? in Sujoy Ghosh?s new film Home Delivery? Music-makers Vishal and Shekhar are on a dramatic growth chart.

Amidst writing more songs for one film than runs Virender Sehwag can score in an innings, Vishal Dadlani spoke to Pratim D. Gupta from Pune about their musical journey, past, present and future:

How it all began: As a kid, I was always into music, treating the Elvis Presleys and Chuck Berrys as gods. I was also a major Amitabh Bachchan fan. So while watching almost all his films, I became familiar with Bollywood music of the likes of R.D. Burman, Kalyanji Anandji, Laxmikant Pyarelal. In college, a friend, Shiraz, and I started this music band named Pentagram. It did very well and was a huge hit in the college circuit. Shiraz, who dabbled in ad films and music videos, became Raj Kaushal?s assistant for Pyar Mein Kabhi Kabhi. I had made Woh pehli baar just out of my love for my then girlfriend and now wife. When Raj heard the song, he said: ?We have to have it in our film.? That was the start.

Moving on: Raj and I had a common friend in Benoy who played a Nepalese folk song and Raj wanted it to be adapted for Pyar Mein Kabhi Kabhi. That?s how Musu musu hasi was born. Shekhar composed a couple of tracks for the same film and we got together to score the title song. Sony Music heard the songs, bought the rights and in no time Woh pehli baar and Musu musu hasi were topping the charts and everyone was talking about the music. Shekhar and I decided to make more music together but the concept of a career was never there.

Growth curve: We didn?t know how to network to capitalise on the success of Pyar Mein Kabhi Kabhi. We set up a little studio and started doing a whole lot of advertisement jingles. Thankfully, we didn?t have to go to producers with harmoniums looking for work. We never even thought of producing stock music to use later for other films. We leave it for the Himeshs (Reshammiya) of the universe ? it works for them. We just wrote a lot of songs for ourselves. That period was very useful for both of us. When two people collaborate for something creative, one has to know how the other works. Then we started getting a lot of one-off assignments for films. We did the title tracks for Champion, Mujhe Kuch Kehna Hai, Rehnaa Hai Terre Dil Mein and the Chhod na re track in Kaante.

Pancham punch: After hearing the music of Pyar Mein Kabhi Kabhi, even before the release of the film, Sujoy (Ghosh) came to us and said, ?I have no funds but I am doing this film which is a tribute to R.D. Burman.?

We heard the script and it was funny as hell and moreover there was the RD factor. We said yes to Jhankaar Beats. Sujoy wanted to use all original R.D. Burman tracks but being a small film, he would have got into a lot of legal hassles. So we got to do something original.

Then there was Vivek Vaswani who stole the formative idea and started making Dil Vil Pyar Vyar. It was shameful how he even stole the idea of the three couples. But the film failed despite his having the ?greatest music director? (RD).

Where Jhankaar Beats worked was that we didn?t try to rip the legend?s work. His understanding of music was all so modern that they can be used in any film today without even touching them. When we won the R.D. Burman Award for the film, it was our greatest high.

Vishal and Sekhar, the duo behind all the music

What lies ahead: The music of Popcorn Khao! Mast Ho Jao! has been well received, especially the item number Dupatta beimaan re. I love item numbers. Let?s face facts here, Yeh mera dil, Mehbooba mehbooba, Laila main Laila were all item numbers.

We have done the music for Sanjay Gupta?s new film Musafir. He just said, ?What I need are really kick-ass tunes?. That was a pretty cool brief.

He has come up with this concept of twin albums for the film, Club and Lounge. We orchestrated and arranged the music our way and then DJ and VJ Nikhil Chinappa gave his feedback on the songs.

Musafir?s music has gone beyond Kaante and can easily fit into the music that?s happening around the world.

We are doing two other films for Pritish Nandy Communications ? Shabd and Na Jaane Kaise. Then there?s Sujoy?s new film Home Delivery with his typical understated brand of comedy.

Yes, there are 25 full songs in the film and none of them is a background track. It should redefine Bollywood music.

S a r a h thumbnail

Going filmi: Vishal Dadlani

Inside story

On Sunday night, I spotted Vishal Dadlani — one-half of the enterprising musical duo Vishal-Shekhar —patiently waiting in queue for popcorn at the movies. (Last seen at the VH1 bash, belting out obscure rock songs much to the surprise of the Bollywood community.)

Perhaps he was there to check out the competition, considering that post the success of Bluffmaster and Taxi No 9211 Vishal-Shekhar appear to have gone mainstream Bollywood in their own rather unique way.

But on the off chance he was watching Inside Man, I'd love to know what he thought of the fact that practically an entire version of AR Rehman's Chaiyya Chaiyya is used for both the opening and closing credits! (By the way, this one's a must watch whether or not you're a Denzil Washington fan.)

Edited by S a r a h - 17 years ago