Sami Yusuf - The sound of moderation

*Fiza* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Sami Yusuf - The sound of moderation

The sound of moderation

British born Sami Yusuf proves that you don't need elaborate graphics or raunchiness to be a popular singer. As long as your voice is sincere, a simple video that is true to your message can suffice.

By Jazib Zahir

The camera pans over the vast expanse of a desert and zooms in on a shot of our resplendent sun. From the glories of nature, we shift to a wonder built by man: The Taj Mahal, resting serenely in the distance.

Now emerges a young man of wheatish complexion donning a crisp black suit. He twirls through crowded streets while exchanging pleasantries with others. He draws charts and busies himself in meetings at the office. He courteously gives up his seat for a lady on the bus. After work, he unwinds by joining a group to practice playing music. All the while, the smile never leaves his face and his thoughts are always on his Lord, his faith and his duties.

This is a fairly accurate sketch of a video for a song by Sami Yusuf, 'Hasbi Rabbi'. He proves you don't need elaborate graphics, raunchiness or synchronized dance troupes to be a popular singer. As long as your sounds are appreciated, a simple video that is true to your message can suffice.

And what a message it is. Sami Yusuf is a British Muslim of Azerbaijani origin, gaining popularity in an age when being Muslim is unfortunately synonymous with extremist to undiscerning western eyes. Sami is a vocal preacher of moderate Islam, a message he hopes to communicate through his lyrical trade. And he acts out his message through the videos of his songs. He opts for a stylish yet sober close-cropped beard and though considers himself devoted, he also leads a regular and healthy life.

Political and spiritual meaning aside, Sami Yusuf is popular primarily because his music sounds good. It meshes nicely with the symphonies of violinists, flutists and sitar players. The beats and choruses are just as catchy as the most popular pop songs of the age. Arabic is distinguished by its poetic qualities; Sami capitalizes on this virtue by dressing familiar supplications into musical tones. Actually, his talents are not limited to the Arabic language. This maestro casually alternates between Farsi, Urdu and Turkish verses within his predominantly English verses, a veritable linguistic mosaic that has no contemporary parallel.

Sami's popularity is primarily in the West. His official website indicates that he has embarked on a voyage across the United States this summer to treat his legions of fans to live performances. He has his share of admirers across a cross-section of races with eclectic taste, but his most devoted following is among the Muslim diaspora.

Sanah Parvez is a Pakistani residing in the United States who has developed a fondness for Sami Yusuf's tunes. She explains, "My parents listen to naats in Urdu but the naats don't have the same amazing spiritual effect on me as Sami Yusuf. I listen to his songs for apolitical reasons - in the U.S., all I hear about Islam is politically saturated and to get some relief from this, I listen to him."

While we can all share the spiritual joy of Sami's videos by the wonders of YouTube, they have scarce presence on Pakistani broadcasts. With some luck, you might be able to find a local store that stocks his two albums to date, but he has indicated no plans to visit Pakistan to share his music in person.
Jahanzeb Akbar is an engineer working in Lahore who was first introduced to Sami Yusuf several years ago. "A naat attributed to Sami was playing on the television," he explains. "It enchanted me so much I looked up additional samples online and have been hooked ever since. I like the music itself and also appreciate its special meaning for me as a Muslim."

Indeed, Sami has composed songs and videos about celebrating Islam. These are all simple themes that resonate with Muslims but have just never found a way into our music till this point. Shoaib Mansoor has broken the barrier in cinema and it's great to see the Muslim youth with that same dedication towards music.

A large cross-section of the Pakistani population remains oblivious of Sami Yusuf's existence. Is there a particular reason for this? "Given that he sings mostly in English I could see why our masses would not be able to warm to him," Jahanzeb suggests. "Hearing someone glorifying Islam in the format of a pop song might also not be appreciated here."

Skimming through some of the forums frequented by Pakistani music lovers, you will find many people appreciating Sami's music, message and personality. It seems like he has cultivated a place in the hearts of our most devoted music fans. It would be wonderful to see him make a push to garner popularity here. Many of us might be able to appreciate the message of making moderate Islam a part of our daily lives.
I love listening to all his naat esp "allah hoo"