Pensive thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 16 years ago
What is a prayer? What purposes does it serve to (if any)? Why do you (not) pray? What good (if any) does it make?

Disclaimer: These questions are not directed at followers of one particular belief but in general to find out why and how people (do not) pray.

Please do not turn it into a 'which religion is superior?' debate!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

WillSmith456 thumbnail
What is a prayer? ๐Ÿ˜ŠPrayer  is  way of asking or seeking help from God Almighty Allah for the better ment of all and to stay away from evil which will lead aright way of living a  pure life. for example in   we muslim pray in Mosque! ๐Ÿ˜Š

What purposes does it serve to (if any)?  If you pray whole heartly but acurately your prayer will be listened by Almighty Allah.๐Ÿ˜ณ

Why do you (not) pray? If a person do not pray then he in a way dis obey the God who gave us life. That's bad for us coz its in a way  he/she is doing a crime that will let us straight to hell in the judgement day!

What good (if any) does it make? Its after all the main thing. Its do help us if you are prayering for good but with not bad intentions๐Ÿ˜Š

btw thanks for the post yaar ๐Ÿ˜‰

Love,
Andro๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Pensive thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5

I think prayer, no matter who it is to or what it is regarding, can be beneficial when sincerely and correctly executed. I am not a very religious person...but i do pray!!To me it is like having a conversation with GOd. When I was little I used to have long drawn out "conversations " with GOd ( cometo think of it I still do on occasion it helps me get my ideas out.....and also it is a great way to relieve stress!!

Sometimes we. prayed to God that we would do well on this test, so I'll be fine even though we didn't study." So, what happens when you get your grade back and get a 60? You say, "God, you let me down. I prayed, right? You didn't help me out!" Well, that's actually your problem to prepare, not some higher power's obligation

Edited by angel_wings - 16 years ago
Howlarious thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3

What is a prayer? I'm not too sure..๐Ÿ˜• When you ask for help or something from god? ๐Ÿ˜• Tough question ๐Ÿ˜† Got me thinking ๐Ÿ˜›

What purposes does it serve to (if any)?  Well in the serials I watch it has this "always works" effect ๐Ÿ˜ณ But thats too good to be true sometimes.

Why do you (not) pray?  I'm not a religious person..I don't pray..I do it because I have to, not coz I want to ๐Ÿ˜ณ

What good (if any) does it make? Not sure..But people that are devotees get whatever they want.? Makes them feel good? ๐Ÿ˜• Am not sure ๐Ÿ˜•

What is a prayer? Prayer for me a medium to talk to God...share ur feelings, ur problems, seek His help, His wisdom & to say sorry for ur sins & wrong doings๐Ÿ˜ณ
What purposes does it serve to (if any)? It makes me closer to him & allows to talk to him
Why do you (not) pray? ahem ahem...when in church for sure..otherwise as & when i get time...i do pary.But i make sure  whenever i pary ..i give in 100% of myself to it๐Ÿ˜‰
What good (if any) does it make?It makes me feel good..i feel i really had a talk with Him & that He was listening to me..it makes me feel very special๐Ÿ˜ณ

Cheers

โค๏ธKaiโค๏ธ

eternal thumbnail
What is a prayer? Prayer is when you we talk to god, you get to know him, to respect him, to thank him for everything he does for us, and to be able to ask for forgiveness of sins. 
What purposes does it serve to (if any)?  it makes us closer to god, obey him, and be able to feel his presence. 
Why do you (not) pray?  i pray for the well being of my family, my friends, and to thank god for all he does for me and the people i care for, and i pray in times of need.
What good (if any) does it make? it lets us know that god really is listening, it brings god to our lives, and it makes us feel special๐Ÿ˜ณ
Edited by tweetylicious - 16 years ago
happydog26 thumbnail
I have to admit I jacked the following story off a 'forward' i once received but its worth reading :

Once god told a man to push a heavy boulder. So the man began pushing for hours together, but the boulder never moved. He began to get discouraged nd had thoughts like what he was doing was useless, the task is impossible and he is a failure. So he prayed to God, " you told me to push and I have been pushing but the boulder just isnt moving. What is wrong? Why am I failing?

God replied: When you decided to serve me , I only told you to push the rock with all yur strength and thats what you did. I never said that the rock should move. And now you come to me thinking that you have failed. the truth is you have become stronger, you ability to do work has grown. You were obedient and kept PUSHING, now it is my duty to move the rock.

MORAL :
God only expects us to be OBEDIENT and have FAITH in him. Exercise the faith to move mountains, but remeber God is still the one who moves the mountain.
So when all fails in Life just PUSH, PUSH, PUSH & leave the rest to God. ๐Ÿ˜ณ
-dramaholic- thumbnail
What is a prayer? a prayer is something u do when u find you u need stregth
 What purposes does it serve to (if any)? it gives you inner confidence
Why do you (not) pray? for well being and to gain stregth in every day life!
What good (if any) does it make? gives a great amount of confidence!

sareeta thumbnail
Nice topic... ๐Ÿ˜Š Couldnt resist chipping in...!

Prayer , the word for me ... brings in the essence of asking something... which I dont particularly relate to...

At the risk of being misinterpreted , I do say this...

I have always believed BHaggu Ji has given me all that one could ever wish for. I have never felt the need to ask or crave for something... Blessed should I say.. is what I feel...

But having said that Prayer is a word used by us... for what we actually do in presence of the lord in a temple.. be it asking, thanking or pouring our heart out to the invisible power that always lends us an ear.. to our soulful rantings...

For me... Stepping into a temple...and see the idol , a form of BHaggu I most relate to... is to thank him... a simple thank you.

I do not visit the temple often , nor do I do pujas... but I do say thank you to Bhaggu ... sometimes.. impromptu... and sometimes... an aftermath of being totally aware... something couldnt have been possible without his blessing hand...

Put simply... Prayer means saying Thank you to Bhaggu... for life in its glory. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Sorry if my opinions offended anyone. It was not intentional. My individual views specifically. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Edited by sareeta - 16 years ago
sourav1 thumbnail
Prayer is what I do when I have no other recourse. Plain and simple - Help me whoever you are! Prayer, it seems, serves as an instrument to acknowledge one's fallibility. Also I like to pray as a means to relate to a soumate. I pray to an image of God - that which is near and dear to my heart. I like to humanly relate to God. Prayer helps in the path to discover one's fundamental being. In my case, that of discovering the perfection of being human.

On a lighter note, it helps bring down my blood pressure ๐Ÿ˜†