TOGETHER @ HOME & WORK-Manav Gohil(Karan)

angel_86 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
TOGETHER @ HOME & WORK

Shweta Teotia finds out what it is like for a prime time actor to be married to a co-star

In the television world, married co-stars have many advantages — off-screen romance fuels their on-screen draw, their 'sets drive' remains intact since sets often replace home (thanks to erratic schedules) and they don't have to deal with partners worrying over 'friendships' with co-stars. Even the balance sheet works out fine — EMIs are better handled, jaunts abroad become frequent and the floor-space of homes increases. In the last couple of years, many actors in the TV industry have walked down the aisle together. Here's taking a look at some of them.

Soulmates now

Their Maharashtrian-Sindhi romance began when they met while shooting for Kutumb. Her parents approved of Hiten, though he was a divorcee, and soon the two were married. "Gauri is my soulmate," says Hiten, who loves her fish curry, Maharashtrian style

GAURI PRADHAN HITEN TEJWANI

The soft-spoken, obliging Hiten is a perfect foil to the toffee-nosed Gauri. He is affable and easy, she wears a touch-me-not air. With personas as dissimilar as chalk and cheese, they are a prime example of 'opposites attract'. But Hiten insists they are alike. How? "We like to go out for parties, enjoy a drink or two, and generally love being around each other." He misses out an important point — that the two are untiringly diplomatic. And no, we are not hauling them over the coals. It's a great way to be, one that ensures that things are always smooth, sans complaints.
Their Maharashtrian-Sindhi romance began when they met while shooting for a show called Kutumb. They had already paired up for a commercial earlier. Soon, sparks flew. Her parents approved of Hiten, though he was a divorcee, and soon the two were married. "Love can happen anytime. Once a relationship has soured, it's over. One must move on. Gauri is my soulmate," says Hiten, who loves her fish curry, Maharashtrian style. She, on her part, is a complete sucker for the flowers he continues to buy her, day after day. Friends say Gauri often lays down the rules. Is he okay with her being the woman-on-top? "It's not entirely like that. It's a two-way thing. You give some and you get some," Hiten says, dismissing it as hearsay. Their fun-times together include going for long drives, and doing the laundry together. Now, with Gauri's Spanish lessons and yoga classes, the couple gets to spend more time together.

Care mantra

Shweta and Manav have comfortably settled with each other. They do not adhere to any mantra of happiness, but make a habit of taking care of little details. When they go out to watch films, Manav makes sure he carries a shawl for Shweta as she feels cold

SHWETA-MANAV GOHIL

Manav Gohil doesn't mince words, although we're not sure what Shweta will think. The first thing he says about marriage is that it's an uphill climb — there are many rigours of being married, and they only double when you're wedded to a co-star.
   Like most other prime time couples, Shweta and Manav met on the sets. Long shooting schedules ensured that the two got to spend a lot of time together. Shweta, a big TV star at that time, and Manav tied the knot with their parents' blessings. Their inter-caste marriage was, in fact, continuing a tradition. "My parents had eloped too," reveals Manav.
   After two years of marriage, they have comfortably settled with each other. Manav says they do not adhere to any mantra of happiness. He says, rather profoundly, "There are many rights and wrongs. And there's a lot that goes in between. It is the in-between things that matter most. You have to make a habit of taking care of little details." For instance, when they go out to watch films, Manav makes sure he carries a shawl for Shweta as she feels cold. He likes to call her technologically challenged: "She can't even log in. I help her check e-mail, etc."
   Manav has finally coaxed Shweta into going to parties, sometimes even without him. He says, "I like to party. I keep telling her to go out — it helps to unwind and to network with others. Now, she goes by herself too. If she doesn't feel like it, she makes a baby-face and stays at home!"

RAAJESHWARI-VARUN BADOLA

It feels like two people living together in a hostel," says Raajeshwari Sachdev about life with husband Varun Badola. The two have learnt to accept a lot — erratic hours, long absences, fatigue ...
   "In fact I crib more than he does!" admits Raj.
   The couple first met on the sets of Antaakshri, about five years back. Raj was hosting the show and Varun was a guest. They didn't even say 'Hi' on the sets but, says Raajeshwari, "I noticed that he sings well!" Four years later, when they were shooting together for Phir Se, Varun popped the question.
   But Raj didn't think marriage made sense. Later, she said if her father said yes, she'd agree too. Varun gave Raj just seven minutes to decide, and reached her place to meet her dad. In the next few minutes, it was decided the two would spend their life together.
   "Our courtship started after our marriage," Raj muses. "We are two good actors and it feels very comfortable when someone you are close to gives feedback on your work. It's important that the person you are marrying is good at his work. When I saw Varun's Charas I was so happy…"
   The two have often shared screen space. They have done a film for Star One, and Nach Baliye was a different experience altogether.
   Says Raj about hubby Varun's dancing skills, "If he takes on something, he will go the whole hog. In spite of the odds, Varun did a great job."