S a r a h thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago

"The blue hair that Zayed has in the film is something which probably Ajay can't pull off." - Anubhav Sinha

By IndiaFM News Bureau, May 26, 2007 - 02:00 IST

Though his last film Tathastu could not strike a chord with the audience that 
I did not deter director Anubhav Sinha to jump ship. Busy doing the final touches of his forthcoming film Cash, Anubhav took time out to speak to IndiaFM.

The promos of Cash look really promising.
I think it's my nature to make such films. Thanks for appreciating though I never thought about it. I guess the film and its script demand a treatment like that.

How difficult it is to style the different characters in the film?
There is no definition to style. It depends on the person's personality - how comfortable he is with what he is doing and wearing what Zayed can wear. The blue hair that he has in the film is something which probably Ajay can't pull off. He can wear blonde, and Riteish can wear something else. Yes, we all sit down- the hairstylist, the costume designer… my job as a director is to say, 'Yes…this is good' the designer's job is to deliver…give me options… this is option one, two and so on…. And I have to say 'yes', which is the most difficult part of a director's job. He could say yes to the wrong thing, so all the four characters were presented to me. We had inputs from actors, costume designers, hairstylist for a whole lot of things. So that's how the style came about.

When you are saying its good I am presuming its looking good that they are able to carry things which we have chosen.

You have a lot of new-comers in the film.
Esha and Shamita made their debut in 2001 or 2002 if I am not mistaken, so five years in the business is not new. Riteish has been part of at least five films which have grossed over 5 crores in Mumbai so he is not new either. Zayed has been part of at least two movies that I remember right now that have grossed over five crores in Mumbai so he is not new. Yes, Ajay and Suneil are far more experienced than these people. In a multi-starrer it is pretty much a formula that you have at least one senior pair and then there is a bunch which is not that senior.

It has never happened with me, that I made something different from what I thought.
Did you purposely choose action heroes for the film?
No. It is an action script, and we required people who could carry action on their shoulders and in the bargain we ended up casting three gentlemen who are known for being action heroes and one who has not done action before but he has been able to carry that pretty well, so you will like what he is doing. Yes, we have just about seven and a half stars in the business, and off those you have to choose four and you don't have much choice.

Have they performed their own stunts?
Yes, the actors have performed some of their difficult stunts. The film required to be action oriented. It's designed to be an action film- a stylish action film.

Did the film turn out the way you planned it initially?
It has never happened with me, that I made something different from what I thought. Whether it worked or not is a different case altogether. But most often with directors- they only make (films) what they think in the very beginning.

Are you satisfied with what you see?
Satisfaction with the final product is a very difficult question to answer because the movie is like a baby, and you want it to be better.

Seems that your film has a lot of cars?
I come from a lower middle class family. We didn't have a car at home; so I have a fascination for cars. And I had not seen much of the world, so I have a fascination for that, hence most of the times Europe, America, Canada… Hence a lot of cars and probably it's my anger that I don't own a Lamborghini.

Satisfaction with the final product is a very difficult question to answer because the movie is like a baby, and you want it to be better.
What is the plot like?
Its all about money and life… most of it is about money. They are all negative, all cons, they are all thieves running after some diamonds. Then there are some complications and then there are some resolutions… and CASH.

Yes it is about cash. The whole story is about cash, a few heists and some diamonds, four male characters, and three female characters and one beautiful picturesque location and some thumping songs.

Music sounds rocking?
I don't understand what you mean when you say rocking music, but most of it is not rock. Yeah I obviously thought it was good so I chose those songs. In movies like these the attempt is always t to create music which is popular in nature. Vishal and Shekhar specialize in that. I am really thankful to them that they gave me such wonderful songs. You should know in next four weeks if they are popular.

When are you planning to release the film?
The film is complete and the post production is on. We are recording the background (score) we are all geared up to release on 29 June, our worldwide distributors Adlabs are still deciding, it will be 29 of June plus or minus a couple of weeks. We need to shoot a song, which will be shot in the second week of June.

How much cash do you expect the film to make?
I hope it does 55 crores in Bombay, 370 crores all over India.