Trip down the memory lane with Mala Sinha

Qwest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Kavita as promised this one for you.!!

By Screen Weekly,
March 13, 2007
Traffic-stopping curves, exotically beautiful Nepali looks coupled with tremendous talent turned out to be her ticket to fame and glory. She was Yash Chopra's heroine in his directorial debut blockbuster social Dhool Ka Phool , and by teaming up with Guru Dutt in Pyaasa she became part of Indian cinema's legend. Reigning supreme as a leading lady over two decades, perhaps her greatest achievement has been the sheer longevity of her allure… Screen felicitated her with the Lifetime Achievement Award this year and the glittering trophy stands proudly in her palatial Bandra bungalow in Mumbai where she lives with her daughter and five ferocious dogs. The grand lady rewinds to her Kolkata days where she imitated Nargis and dreamt of dazzling the silver screen…
A singing prodigy

Born to Christian Nepali parents in Kolkata, she was their only child and they fondly christened her Alda. "But my school mates would tease me Alda-Dalda after the hydrogenated oil brand so my parents started calling me Baby," she laughs. Her businessman father would take her and her mother along for film shows and young Baby would come home and imitate the song and dance sequences exactly as she had seen those on screen. "Baba (father) spotted the spark in me right there and hired music and dance teachers for me. And it wasn't too long before I came to be regarded as a singing prodigy. I was often invited to perform at Durga Puja festivities, and at music shows by famous singers like Punkaj Mallik and Gonda Mukherji," she reminisces. School text-books got blurred whenever she heard songs on the radio; music became the mainstay of her life. Her father, a good singer himself who could not fulfill his wish of pursuing a singing career as he was weighed down with family responsibilities, encouraged his talented daughter whole-heartedly. And when she was offered Roshanara, her first feature film as a child artiste by Ardhendu Bose, a Bengali filmmaker, after he watched her play the title role in the school drama, Chitrangada her father gave her a go ahead promptly much against her grandmother's wishes who felt it were better to drown the girl than let her join films!

Five flops, yet Screen declared Mala a star Her waif-like adolescent form metamorphosed into traffic-stopping curves as she starred in a couple of Bangla films, but it was a stamp-size picture in a Bangla newspaper that turned out to be her ticket to fame in Hindi filmdom, "Director Amiya Chakravorty was already a name to reckon with, when he approached Baba with the heroine's role in Badshah which was the adapted version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame , we shifted to Mumbai," elaborates Mala.
As her career progressed her alias changed for the final time from Alda to Baby to Baby Nazma to Mala Sinha. But life wasn't going to be easy for the plump young Mala who spoke only Bangla; she faced flops and failures early in her career. "Five flops in a row was no joke! Badshah, Seema, Ekadashi(a mythological!), Riyasat and Kishore Sahu's dream project Hamlet in which we wore gowns crashed in quick succession. But I remember even though Hamlet failed, Screen gave me a glowing review declaring 'A star is born'. After watching Hamlet, Geeta Bali recommended me to Kidar Sharma in Rangeen Raatein opposite Shammi Kapoor. But for Geetaji, we had all but packed our bags to return to Kolkata," she admits with a shrug.

Cont...

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Qwest thumbnail
By Screen Weekly,
March 13, 2007
Raj Kapoor spoke in Bangla to put her at ease
Mala had grown up on a staple diet of Raj-Nargis romances, hoping that she would replace Nargis in Raj Kapoor's arms one day. She would tie two pleats with ribbon bows just like Nargis and would be delighted when her schoolmates started calling her Nargis, "With my oval face-cut and aquiline nose, I really believed them! So picture my excitement when I was offered Parvarish opposite my dream man Raj Kapoor. I didn't sleep the night before the shoot; I rehearsed my scene with Baba through the night. I didn't know a word of Hindi then, I would write my lines in Bangla script and mug them up," she confesses bemusedly. She developed cold feet the next morning when faced with her screen god, but Raj Kapoor was not just a performer par excellence but also a compassionate co-star. He sat down with her before the take and spoke to her in Bangla to put her at ease. "Rajji noticed that during a dramatic scene in which I was talking and emoting, the director had trained the camera on his face and on my back in accordance with our star status, Rajji advised the director to shift the shot and focus on me. He was not only a great artiste but also a director within," she acknowledges gratefully. She was paired twice more opposite Raj Kapoor in Main Nashe Mein Hoon and Phir Subah Hogi.

She also co-starred with reigning superstar Dev Anand in Love Marriage and Maya.

Compassionate and caring Guru Dutt

When young Mala was offered the role of Guru Dutt's sweetheart who spurns his affections and opts to marry the richer man Rehman, she never thought she was to be a part of an all time classic Pyassa. "I was in awe of Guru Dutt, if he asked me to report on the sets at nine, I would be there with full make-up on at six! But he was never overbearing, in fact he gave me full freedom to enact my scenes," she reasons. She recalls the maverick maker as someone who would often be lost in his creative thoughts and looking at the skies through his viewfinder. A strict, no-nonsense director who called the shots but also a compassionate and caring boss who would personally supervise that each and every unit member was well-fed.

"The most challenging scene in the film was the unspoken-conflict elevator scene where Guru Dutt and I come face to face for the first time since I have ditched him for the rich man not realizing that he is there seeking the help of my publisher husband. Guru Dutt's only instruction to me was to feel the emotions which I did," she stresses. She also featured in Suhagan and Bahurani with Guru Dutt.
The first Yash Chopra heroine

If the yardstick of a heroine's success is a Yash Chopra banner today, Mala heads the list of Chopra charmers. She played the unwed mother who abandons her illegitimate child in Yash Chopra's path-breaking directorial debut Dhool Ka Phool. It was a huge moneyspinner and her "bold" role went down well with the masses. But the role was no cakewalk for the young director-heroine team as Mala recalls, "I accepted the role as a challenge and things were going on pretty well until the day I had to enact the delivery scene in the forest. When I asked Yash how to emote labour pains, he scratched his head and admitted that he had no clue either, 'Ask your mother,' he advised. My mother told me that the pain came in waves and when it hit you just saw stars in the daylight," she laughs, "And that is how it was to be the first Yash Chopra heroine."

Cont...

Edited by Qwest - 17 years ago
Qwest thumbnail
By Screen Weekly,
March 13, 2007

Meena Kumari passed on Jahan Ara to Mala

Mala was on a winning spree, what with a string of hits in a row - Geet, Lalkar, Aankhen, Himalaya Ki God Mein, Suhagan, Bahurani, Anpadh and Hariyali Aur Rasta- Mala was much in demand not only as the oomph girl but also as a sensitive actor. Of her rich and varied repertoire of films, Mala is rather partial to Jahan Ara, a historical that Meena Kumari passed on to her, "Meenaji turned down the role saying that she wouldn't look the part whereas I would. Given my ignorance of Urdu, I was rather skeptical but Meenaji was convinced that I could do justice to the role. Playing Mumtaz Mahal's eldest daughter entailed grueling Urdu classes and learning royal tehzeeb. It was hot on the grand sets erected at Ranjit Studio and the film had Madan Mohan's haunting music. It was a film replete with lyrical moments," she recalls fondly.

Shy Dharam, impish Rajesh, jovial Raj Kumar, child-like Sanjeev, reserved Amitabh…

Mala launched many a new hero in her heyday; Dharmendra was but a lanky newcomer when he was cast opposite her in Anpadh. "He was so handsome and well built Hindi cinema's first he-man. But he was no struggler, he already had a moderate hit to his credit when he was chosen for Anpadh but this was a bigger banner and a better break for him," stresses Mala, elaborating on how Dharam turned beetroot-red and broke into a cold sweat when their very first scene turned out to be that of the suhaag raat and only 3-4 takes later he got his act right, "But success changes everything, later when we acted in Aankhen, Dharamji became bold and beautiful especially with the fairer sex," she reveals with a hearty laugh.

Her Maryada hero Rajesh Khanna was really naughty and always playing pranks. "We were shooting the song 'Chup ke se dil de de ...' in Filmalaya Studios, I was all dressed to kill with a plunging neckline and on my way to the set I heard a piercing wolf-whistle. I turned back to lash out in anger and there I saw Rajesh sitting under a tree telling me mischievously, "My compliments!". My anger just evaporated," she recalls.

Raaj Kumar ranked among Mala's favourite leading men, she remembers him as someone who didn't change at all with times, "He was the same jovial person I knew from the Nausherwan-E-Adil days. Sohrab Modi directed as well as acted in the film and he was a very strict person with stiff ways, Raj Kumar would mimic his mannerisms and keep us in splits. He was a jolly good man, I have never seen him grumpy," she relates.

Mala is full of fond memories of Sanjeev Kumar, "He was a very sensitive actor, he never acted he just became the character. But off-screen he was very child-like; he dropped by at our place unannounced one day and declared that he would lunch with us. My Baba was embarrassed because we are fish-eaters and we had nothing much to offer a Gujarati vegetarian! But he assured us that he didn't mind eating fish at all. He ate heartily picking out fish-bones as deftly as we do." Rivaaz and Zindagi are two of the films in which they co-starred.

Amitabh Bachchan, who co-starred with her in Sanjog, was "always a very cultured young man who spoke Hindi flawlessly", Mala recalls his rich baritone and his true-to-life performances, "Somehow he never opened up to me, perhaps owing to my seniority, but he was always respectful towards me," she remarks.

Adieu Baba, adieu films!

During her first Nepali film Maitighar, Mala fell in love with her hero C P Lohani. They were soon married and were blessed with a lovely daughter Pratibha. Domestic responsibilities never came in the way of her career, Mala continued acting even after marriage and child-birth and graduated to substantial character roles with Zindagi, "Which was just like Baghban, perhaps not as glamorous," she admits. She was last seen in Khel ('91), Raadha Ka Sangam ('92) and Zid ('94). Her heart was no longer in acting, and she missed her father sorely.

"Baba took care of everything the banner, the script and even my costumes all I did was to perform; I wasn't allowed to answer phone calls directly. After he passed away I never felt up to facing the camera again, I missed him too much on the sets. He was my guru, my strength and my source of inspiration, " she states emotionally.

Since then she leads a simple, reclusive life in suburban Bandra, and she is often spotted in the market buying fresh-water fish or some furnishings for the bungalow. Sans pretense, sans scandal, she leads a peaceful life, sans any regrets in life. She is philosophical about daughter Pratibha's none-too scintillating stint in films, "That was her destiny and this was mine. Otherwise tell me how did the little girl from Diocesan Girls High School, Kolkata, land up here in films?" she asks pertinently.

uknaik99 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Thank you very much Bob Ji 😊
Barnali thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Thanx babu.

I must say one thing for Mala Sinha.she had a very acute sense of music and rhythm.If u closely see her dances in film-song interludes, u would observe that her jumps, gyrations and other steps are quite in tune with the musical rhythms.This is an aspect that one can see much more in the case of mala sinha than with other leading ladies of the period. of course, i am excluding real dancers like Vyjayanthimala, Waheeda Rehman and Padmini.
Qwest thumbnail

Mala Sinha

Mala Sinha's exuberant persona glitters bright amongst the galaxy of stars of Bollywood that once held the audiences spellbound. In the 50s and 60s, Mala Sinha by virtue of her looks and talent created such a persona that, in a man dominated industry she was treated equally with her male partner co-stars, when others of her ilk, had to make do with subordinating roles.

Mala Sinha was born on 11th November 1936 in Nepal. Ardhendu Bose, a noted Bengali film director saw her perform in a school play, and cast her in a Bengali film Roshanara (1952). Yet another Bengali film made her land up in Mumbai and she went into the tutelage of Geeta Dutt . Geeta Dutt further introduced her to her husband, Guru Dutt, and well-known film maker Kedar Sharma. Kedar Sharma cast her as a heroine in a less known film Rangeen Ratein. Badshah(1954), a not so noteworthy film followed.

It was not till the Pyaasa (1957)—the immortal classic of Guru Dutt happened that Mala Sinha finally got a strong foothold in the film city. The immense success of the film made Mala Sinha, a cynosure of many an eye and what followed was a decade and a half of prolific filmmaking. Soon she found herself opposite to the great Raj Kapoor in Parvarish (1958), Phir Subah Hogi (1958) and Main Nashein Mein Hoon (1959). She will be always known for pensive picturisation of song Woh Subah Kabhi to Aegi in Phir Subha Hogi. The same year she performed in Dev Anand's Love Marriage (1959) and BR Chopra's Dhool Ka Phool (1959). At this stage, she went full throttle into films and did many small films with big names and big films with small names. Anpadh, Hariyali aur Raasta and Dil Tera Deewana (1962) are said to be her greatest movies. She featured in B R Chopra's super hit Gumraah (1963). In the intervening period she did 10 films with Biswajeet. With Dharmendera in Aankhen (1968) Mala Sinha captivated the world with her 'chinky looks' taking on the role of a Japanese girl. Who can forget the tantalising Mala Sinha singing Gairon pe karam apnon pe sitam, in a role that spelled an apotheosis of quintessential Mala Sinha.

By doing Dillagi with Sanjay Khan and Sanjog with Amitabh Bachchan she almost covered the entire spectrum of stalwarts of 50s and 60s but nowhere was she seen playing second fiddle to her male counterparts. At the height of her career she is said to have a refused a role opposite Dileep Kumar in Ram Aur Shyam, just because she had to twist and bend herself to fit the character. Who else could resist such an offer against the doyen of Indian cinema but Mala Sinha. Subsequently, she won rave reviews for her pairing with Rajesh Khanna in Maryada and as the grey-haired wife of Sanjeev Kumar in Zindagi. Khel (1992) was her swan song until and unless she dons the mantle once again for a grandma's role. Her persona oozed perfect feminine beauty and she had a powerful and domineering feminine presence as of a queen.

1966 happened to be a fateful year for Mala Sinha. She acted in a Nepali film Maiti Ghar opposite C P Lohani. She married Lohani immediately after the film. A girl, Pratibha, was born of the wedlock. Pratibha too dabbled with cinema when in her twenties but could not produce a single perfomance that was pale shadow of her mother's towering personality.

Mala Sinha leads an intensely private and satisfied life in her sprawling Bandra bungalow avoiding arclights. Being deeply religious her days are spent in chanting Lord's mantras.
*dolly* thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Patriotic high...actress Mala Sinha presenting the "Jayamala" programme for the armed forces, on Vividh Bharati (1965).

Edited by *dolly* - 17 years ago
*dolly* thumbnail

Mala Sinha - The Actress With Oomph Appeal!

Those were the days. Vyjayantimala reigned the silver screen and we, as school kids, reminded ourselves from time to time: 'Mala, as in Vyjayantimala.' The queen had no rivals, we thought. And came the other Mala - Mala Sinha. Our loyalties were shaken. We, as school-kids, understood the gravity of the Bigamy Prevention Act. We would go in groups to see this other Mala in films such as 'Parvarish' and 'Love Marriage'. And we were floored, absolutely. There is this scene in 'Parvarish' - Mala, oozing with oomph, emerges from behind a curtain. How enticing she looked. The five-foot Nepali Christian doll was packed with sex appeal. With her 'come hither' looks in songs such as 'Hum jaan gaye sarkaar' (in 'Love Marriage') and 'Maine toh ahin pi' (in 'Main Nashein Mein Hoon'), Mala looked as if she would take away your life and you wouldn't even notice! In evocative duets such as 'Masti bhara hai samaa' ('Parvarish'), 'Yalla Yalla dil le gaya' ('Ujaala'), 'Tasveer teri dil mein' ('Maaya') and 'Dhadakne lagi bekararon ki duniya' ('Dhool ka Phool'), Mala tantalizes Raj Kapoor, Shammi Kapoor, Dev Anand and Rajendra Kumar, respectively. And with them her viewers! Manoj Kumar, in 'Himalay ki Goad Mein', described her as 'Chaand si mehbooba'. And rightly so. Describing her bewitching beauty, Raj Kumar, in 'Phool Bane Angaarey', said in Mukesh's voice: 'Aankhein heere ki kaniya, baat misri ki daliyaa, hont ganga ke saahil, zulf jannat ki galiyaan...' Wow! Before she came into films, Mala sang regularly on the radio. However, filmdom never let her sing her own numbers. 'Roshan Ara', a Bengali film, was her first venture. Amiya Chakravarti's 'Badshah' was her first Hindi Film. Then came 'Ekadashi', a mythological film. In 'Riyaasat', Mahipal was her hero. She was the leading lady of Pradeep Kumar in films such as 'Fashion', 'Ek Shola', 'Detective', 'Mitti Mein Sona' and 'Duniya Na Maane'. Mala soon graduated to stardom and was billed as leading lady opposite all the first rate and glamourous actors, except Dilip Kumar. From Raj Kapoor ('Phir Subah Hogi') to Rajesh Khanna (in 'Maryaada') she lived a glorious career spanning four decades. Mala was Ashok Kumar's wife in 'Gumraah', and in 'Pooja Ke Phool', she was his daughter. In the high-noon of her career, a relatively young Mala dared to portray the role of Shashi Kapoor's mother in 'Dharmputra' way back in the 1960s. Much before that, she had played the role of Jabeen Jaleel's mother in 'Fashion'. The sensuous actress wasn't bothered about her 'image', a thought which often makes top-class heros and heroines restless. Even when she was a top draw, Mala readily agreed to be teamed up with rank new comers, such as Sanjay Khan (in 'Dillagi'), Jeetendra ('Mere Huzoor'), Dharmendra (Anpadh') and Amitabh Bachchan ('Sanjog'). 'Bahu Raani', 'Suhaagan' and 'Jehan Ara' were films of which Mala was the epicentre. Films such as 'Dhool Ka Phool', 'Gumraah', 'Dharmaputra', 'Anpadh', 'Himalay Ki Goad Mein', 'Hariyali Aur Raasta' and 'Phir Kab Milogi' were also centred around her role. She acquitted herself very creditably. She acted well even in a 'C'-grade propaganda film such as 'Gyaarah Hazaar Ladkiyaan'. In 'Zindagi', she played an old woman to an ageing Sanjeev Kumar with elan.

Yet, movie buffs weren't fair to Mala. They thronged the theatres to see her films and admired her talents, but dragged their feet when it came to anointing her as the queen of the silver screen. Pitted against Meena Kumari, Nutan and Waheeda Rehman, Mala didn't get her due.

*dolly* thumbnail

Photo gallery