angel_86 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Your Celeb Speaks
Enlarge

"Place money where it deserves to be. Give it its due importance. Work towards your goal and money will be there as a consequence".

With no background in theatre or acting, it was by default that Manav Gohil, who wanted to do modeling, and very shy and inhibited to face the camera, thought about becoming an actor. After an initial struggle, he bagged a role in "Cats" in which he played an episodic character. This was followed by the serial "Chudiya" which was his first real break in the world of television. Ever since then, there has been no looking back for this talented actor, who entertained us in serials such as "Kahani Ghar Ghar Ki", "Kusum", "Kasauti", "Mansha", "CID" and "Saara Akash". He also hosted the reality show "Fame Gurukul" on Sony, post which he worked in the famous soap "Sarkar" and is currently busy with "Vaidehi". Manav has also dabbled into theatre and has been a part of the play "Uncle Samjha Karo". His popularity with the masses rose with his participation in the reality dance show "Naach Baliye – II", in which he was paired with his better half, Shweta Kwatra, a popular television actress herself. Married for the last two years, Manav is very much a family man as well. In a dialogue with Hemant Sanganee, Manav expresses his views on money and the value it holds in his life.

Money is very important to me. Especially in this industry, as long as the hay shines, you should make the most of it. If I like a script and my role, I might compromise on the amount being paid. I started earning money since I was 16 years old. My father would not give us pocket money, so I worked as a peon in a screen-printing workshop. I used to do door-to-door selling of chlorine. Thanks to my dad, I have realized the value of money since a young age and as time has passed, I value and respect money even more.

To be happy, money is important. But money is not the sole element to be happy. Earlier, my perception of money was more need based and greed based. But now, money has become secondary and my love for my work has become primary.

I have invested a major chunk of my money in buying my home. Besides that, I have taken some insurance, fixed deposits, bonds etc., but have not invested any money in the stock market. My investment decisions are backed by a lot of advice from my father who is in Vadodara. Besides that, my wife Shweta is very good at investing too.
I do tend to spend a lot of money on dining out. Also, I'm a very impulsive spender. Say for instance if I like a wrist watch, I'll just go and buy it. Besides that, I like to spend money on my wife and my family. Also, I love picking up the latest electronic gadgets.

As a kid, I could never fathom why my father was strict when it came to giving us money. If I wanted a cycle or a bike, there was a target set for me. But today I've understood its value and I will certainly want my children to grow up with similar values, beliefs and respect money for what it is worth.

If it's a health issue for any member in my family, I would not ever think twice before spending money. One of my biggest passions is Cricket. Even if I have 3-4 bats, I would just not think twice before buying another one if I find it attractive.

I would say place money where it deserves to be. Give it its due importance. Work towards your goal and money will be there as a consequence.

Today, all of us need to assume responsibilities of our surroundings and us. Of course it includes not spitting anywhere and keeping our environment clean, but I'm talking about human beings. Are we really compassionate to others? Are we really empathizing with other another person's problems? Even if they are wrong, are we forgiving them? I would rather set an example myself and make a difference, so that others get inspired and follow suit.