niti_26 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Talking point: with Vikram Gokhale
Aparna Chandra
Is Virrudh turning out be an interesting experience for you?
I'd use the word sensible. Smriti (Iraani) and her husband are wonderful people. Smriti as a producer spares absolutely no cost. Our director (Santram Verma) is a pleasure to work with. I don't feel like I am acting to be Dhirendra Raisinghania. I believe in the character as he is etched out. Often scripts come to us which are overly dramatic or lifeless, and while you are at it, you either have to up the tempo or take the extra life out of it. I am enjoying Virrudh with its easy characters and smooth dialogues.

You have become an icon where it comes to playing the character of an elderly guide. Don't you feel like breaking away?
I've been in the profession for 52 years and it was only 30 years ago when I got recognition as an actor. Since then, I've been called the star of Marathi TV and theatre. But I really don't associate with idea of being an 'icon'. This is a fleeting notion and come from those who don't look deeper into the medium. As for the repetition of roles, what do I do? Producers and directors seem convinced about the way I play these characters. That's why I lapped up Virrudh where my role has deep negative shades. This was a chance at breaking away. What would you love to play?
A blind an, a mentally challenged person or even a historical character. There's always a sense of smoldering intensity to all your characters. What prompts it?
My studied approach. I am very involved in what I do. I work 40 hours a day — I sleep only for about 3 to 4 hours. I am involved in films, in theatre (this interview is conducted during a rehearsal break for his forthcoming play Jaavai Majhaa Bhalaa which opens in May), in TV and radio. I write, direct and teach. Also, I am a realtor, most of my business is located in Pune. I own a mountain called Girivan, 39 kilometres from the city, which my firm Sujata Farms has developed beautifully. Is there room for more?
Surely. Now I want to move behind the camera. I am going to shoot a DVD version of Jaywant Dalvi's play, Barrister, with Sachin Khedekar in the lead. I had done this role myself on the stage, Barrister Gokhale had become my moniker.

Edited by niti_26 - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Devanshi* thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
thnx for posting this.. 😉